• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix E3 Conference Thread: No One Signed Up To Make The Thread Edition

Why hath we forsaken Square?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wagram

Is NieR that good? worth playing? I keep hearing/seeing very mixed opinions on GAF about it

Depends on the person I think. Nier/Drakengard (same series essentially) were never about game-play. They're more about crazy story-telling with twisted ideals, fantastic characters, and insane music. It's not a series that you play for combat. That's a turn off for some, but if you actually take the time and come to realize what they're doing then it's magical.

I will take a title like Nier over the Uncharteds, Gears of Wars, or Halos any day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Before I review any of the game announcements, I will say that this was a pretty ramshackle press conference. It goes to show that if you take a few years off doing this kind of thing, it's hard to get back in the game and put together a polished presentation. The language barrier makes it harder, since the main devs are either Quebecois or Japanese. A lot of the speakers were also hurt by the weird teleprompter placement; people with good grasp of language, nice voices, and decent public speaking capability spent their whole speeches with their heads cocked slightly sideways. Every time they tried to look at the audience it would be a bit jilted.

Just Cause 3: 6/10. Visually looks good. Gameplay looks like a Just Cause game. I'm excited to play it, but paradoxically I think the manic and emergent fun of Just Cause doesn't demo very well. It's really exhilarating to play and create chaos, but less cool to watch someone else do it. So we got a very very long trailer filled with boring explosions, I thought.

Nier 2: 7/10. The existence of this product is kind of a miracle. The concept art looks good. The presentation was gibberish. The funny thing is everyone I was talking to during the conference freaked the hell out because they knew all the staff names and the project sounded cool... but I bet the audience was mystified because it was a whole lot of nothing poorly explained, and then a guy comes out with a character head on and says some stuff in Japanese. Given that Cavia is gone and Platinum is developing, I bet this will have more of an action focus.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 5/10. Game looks great, I gave it a better review during the MS conference, but the trailer was a same-ol' and the behind-the-scenes video was boring. Models look great though, this will definitely future-proof very well on the PC.

Lara Croft Go: 9/10. Looked beautiful, great art style, and I suspect it will cost very little so I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Kingdom Hearts Chi: 5/10. It looks cute, but it's a port of a browser game to mobile. I think we all know that low expectations are appropriate here. Maybe it'll end up cool. I'll try it.

Kingdom Hearts 3: 8/10. This might actually be the best looking in motion game I've ever seen. Clean, crisp, bright art, great looking effects. Tangled is cool. Pity they opened with plot gibberish. I'm interested in knowing if SE's recent reorientation to PC will lead to them to porting Kingdom Hearts, especially in light of Disney also becoming more PC friendly. Right now just announced for PS4XBO.

World of Final Fantasy: 5/10. I gave this a better review in the Sony conference, because this was basically the same thing. The new details they gave about monster teams and stuff were not interesting. "First on PS4 and Vita" poses an obvious question to me--what would it next be on? iOS? 3DS maybe? PC maybe? Xbox One maybe? NX? Who knows.

Hitman: 10/10. Beautiful looking, cool concept, sounds like a great reboot. I wonder if it's more like an always-online MMO or more like weekly challenges for an otherwise campaign driven game. I find it funny that the trailer shows lots of killing when in practice you do very little if you're good at Hitman.

Star Ocean 5: 1/10. It's a Star Ocean game. Gaudy bright haired anime doll characters. Even though they didn't show the battle voices, I can hear the nonsense battle voices now. "Deoxyribonucleic Acid Storm!!!!" "Nihilist Inferno Twist!" "Snow White and the Seven Dive Bombs!" "Unending Lonelyhearts!!!!" This was never my franchise. The environments look a little less flat than usual, that's a pro. Dude's popped collar was terrible.

Deus Ex 4: 6/10. BIg fan of the franchise, but I felt like this segment showcased the stuff I like less. I don't see it as an explosion driven action shooter. The political elements seem a little more on the nose than usual, less nuanced, more "AUGMENTED APARTHEID" I wonder if the plot will actually sync up with DE1/2.

Project Setsuma: 8/10. Obviously they didn't show the actual game so it's hard to say, but the principles make sense. I am not interested in fashion culture, or in Dragon Ball cliche spouting. Final Fantasy XV looks frankly disgusting to me, everything about it is the exact opposite of what I'd want to see in a game. So when SE gets on stage and announces a title with a calm, serene name and says it's about recapturing the spirit of how RPGs used to be, my ears perk up. Here's hoping it turns out.

All in all, more than SE normally shows, but probably less than most of the larger publishers do, and definitely a bit amateur hour. Glad to see not all hope is lost for strange or small games, despite their focus on big actiony hollywood stuff.

Basketball

1434485867826.jpg
/10

Philippo

Widely acclaimed Western games (JC3,DE:HD,Hitman,TB), legendary AAA Japanese games (FFXV,KHIII,FFVIIR and eventually DQXI), plus lower-tier AA titles for more niche audiences (DQ:Heroes, Nier 2, World of FF, Setsuna), and lots of mobile/online titles.

Their portfolio is greater than ever, they're gathering back pubblic consensus in big chunks, are pushing new blood for their titles and are building a strong bound with the winning console of the generation.

Yep, i see a very bright future ahead of them.

Please anyone link me to thread in Negoaf of everything shown. I missed the conference and if there is someone kind enough to link me to all threads of the games shown. Thanks.

I loved this conference. Yes, it was stiff and even uncomfortable at times, but although it seems to be early days, they really sent a message that they want to get back to the glory days.

wmlk

Nier is incredible man. I even loved the gameplay. The jank added to the charm and it had really responsive controls.

It was game of the generation for me, and now its worst part will be even BETTER? With Inaba leading the gameplay? With Akihiko Yoshida's artwork? This tops any announcement in E3 for me because the part that was lacking now has the most qualified developer working on it.

I wonder if they're doing a retranslation for the port to be taking this long.

Either way, looking back at it. This presentation in this conference was no more cringy than any other conference this E3...
Or maybe I think that because I hate every and any corporate speak.

Armaly

So I overslept and missed the conference. My friend told me that they didn't announce anything good soI skim through the e3 vid and find out there's a new Nier game coming out with Yoko Taro x platinum. Needless to say I flipped.

Soriku

Star Ocean 5: 1/10. It's a Star Ocean game. Gaudy bright haired anime doll characters. Even though they didn't show the battle voices, I can hear the nonsense battle voices now. "Deoxyribonucleic Acid Storm!!!!" "Nihilist Inferno Twist!" "Snow White and the Seven Dive Bombs!" "Unending Lonelyhearts!!!!" This was never my franchise. The environments look a little less flat than usual, that's a pro. Dude's popped collar was terrible.

OK I laughed at your special attack names, but 1/10? Come on son.

Philippo

I admit that until today i didn't even know that i wanted a brand new Nier.
And one made by former stuff + A. Yoshida + PLATINUM??? Fuck me, fuck me hard.
You really know how to make me your little bitch Square Enix.

I just hope that even with Platinum involvement, we'll still get open-world like and RPG-lite elements (hell maybe even improve them).

Is there a schedule for their S-E Presents presentations?

Only thing I know is it seems half of their SE Presents stuff is FFXIV-geared (makes sense with the Xpac next week). At 930 CDT they're reading the FFXIV patch notes (I may or may not might have that marked on a calendar. )

Also..where was Final Fantasy Explorers? I thought for SURE we'd get a localization announcement on that from Ninty or SE.

1. Sony (A+)
2. Square (A-)
3. Microsoft (B)
4. Ubisoft (B-)
5. Bethesda (C+)
6. Nintendo (D+)
7. EA (D-)

That's how I would rank the conferences.

Toth

1. Sony (A+)
2. Square (A-)
3. Microsoft (B)
4. Ubisoft (B-)
5. Bethesda (C+)
6. Nintendo (D+)
7. EA (D-)

That's how I would rank the conferences.

I would score them the same. Sony and Square have some great products coming. Microsoft is shooter, shooter, shooter....

I would score them the same. Sony and Square have some great products coming. Microsoft is shooter, shooter, shooter....

tbf, when they try different stuff it usually doesn't work out (they even have people trying to blame them over the Japanese console gaming decline).

But yeah, as a total personal opinion of someone who dislikes shooters, MS and even Bethesda were pretty weak (although EA is still on the bottom of them all).

SE just murdered with that NieR 2 announcement. That shit got a bigger (but not more dramatic) reaction out of me than FFVIIR. Reading Platinum's name was just fantastic too. And then a new studio at the end was pretty awesome (although I really wish they showed more of Setsuna).

Eh outside of Fallout 4 their conference wasn't the best

I was pretty high on Bethesda's conference immediately after. I think I was a little high on Fallout 4 hype. Now that I've had some time to reflect, I kind of agree. While Fallout 4 looks like its going to be an amazing game, I thought that DOOM had a very disappointing showing and Battlecry looks absolutely terrible. They had some weird announcements, Bethesda.net and their Elder Scrolls card game for example.

I think what the main problem with Bethesda's conference was that we knew too much going in. We knew exactly what was going to happen almost beat for beat. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, but it lacked the wow factor of some of the other conferences we had this year. Good, not great. That's how I look at it.

mao2

I'm really glad that Square Enix are going back to their roots and are actually putting effort to release RPGs on consoles. Also their PS4 support is pretty amazing, a stark contrast to their dismal effort on PS3 during its early days.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Kingdom Hearts III
Star Ocean 5
Nier 2

Labadal

I'm really glad that Square Enix are going back to their roots and are actually putting effort to release RPGs on consoles. Also their PS4 support is pretty amazing, a stark contrast to their dismal effort on PS3 during its early days.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Kingdom Hearts III
Star Ocean 5
Nier 2

Plus project Setsuna. I wonder if we will see Type-1 in the next couple of years. Who knows if they decide to bring Dissida to consoles, I haven't been keeping up on news about that.

SaGa and Bravely Second for portable enjoyment. I haven't been this excited about Square Enix in many years. If half of these games turn out good, I will be a happy gamer.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This conference wasnt very good, but it does seem to make clear SE Japan has accepted a place and doubling down on the core RPG formula that made them successful. The Remake is basically an open admission of this, embracing a large project theyve been avoiding for years, and starting up a new RPG studio dedicated to new projects.

So im happy about that but the presentation sucks. Their Western side looked impressive as always. Wish they showed more of Deus Ex. Not much to gather other than it looks good.

This was by far the highlight of the show for me. I'm so happy to see that SE isn't giving up on console JRPGs. Between Nier, Star Ocean, KH3, and the new IP at the end I have plenty to look forward to from SE. Add those to FFXV and the remake of FFVII I'm really hoping SE is able to turn things around financially and keep making the games I love so much.

My Report Card

Bethesda: A (Strong showing from both Doom and Fallout 4, plus Dishonored 2 announcement)

Microsoft: C (I liked Halo and Gears, but really the only other stuff I felt was super major was Backwards Compatability and Rare Replay)

EA: D- (Everything that I liked got brief mentions at best, with the majority of the time being spent on Sports and Mobile)

Ubisoft: C- (I really liked Rainbow Six and For Honor looks sweet. Aisha Tyler trying to make memes should be considered a federal crime)

Sony: SSS (Last Guardian, FF VII Remake, Shenmue 3. Not only were these megatons of epic proportions, but the rest of the conference had surprisingly few lows. Horizon's looking like I may actually like a game made by Guerrilla. Hitman's got me pumped. Uncharted looks mindblowing. Blops 3 looks like its following AW which I am more than happy about)

Nintendo: D/bordering on F (This conference actually made me mad. The other bad ones simply bored me but I was actually mad at this one. Star Fox was the only thing I liked, everything else looked trash. That Metroid game stung the most though. The fact that they were the only good conference last year really highlights how poor this conference was)

Square Enix: A (They took a very Japanese approach with announcing there games, which was kinda welcome actually. Just Cause 3 looks properly insane. Hitman is looking great as well. They showed off a lot of cool new shit you can do in Kingdom Hearts 3. Star Ocean 5 looking great as well. HOLY SHIT NIER 2 BY PLATINUM! And a bit of info about that new RPG initiative that they started. My only grip was that I wanted to see some proper gameplay for Tomb Raider and a bigger demo for Deus Ex. Also too many videos they showed in other conferences. This conference really makes me optimistic about Square Enix in how they're committed to actually making games for both the East and the West.)

Top Bottom