• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix producer shows interest in a Final Fantasy V remake

Article:

When it comes to Final Fantasy, everyone is talking about the Final Fantasy VII remake. It's the latest in a long line of Final Fantasy titles that have been ported, reworked, or completely revamped. Still, the team behind the series has interest in revisiting even more classic titles.

In an interview with GameReactor, producer Yoshinori Kitase opened up about his interest in remaking Final Fantasy V some day.

"(Laughs) Ok, so first of all, you have to promise you're not going to write an article saying Square Enix is remaking Final Fantasy something, something... It's just a purely personal opinion, just so you understand that. With that caveat in place, the first Final Fantasy that I worked on myself was Final Fantasy V, that hasn't been remade with the more realistic kind of approach yet, so I think it might be quite interesting to do a FF5 remake someday".

---

Will my personal favorite of the 16-bit entries see a remake, and finally get the recognition it deserves? Guess time will tell.

Last edited:

Holammer

If the FF7 remake sells well, they're going to milk that nostalgia teat till it dries up and falls off.
I would hate to see characters in FF6 re-imagined as androgynous pretty boys. At least let Cyan look like a manly man! I'm not asking much.

Myths

Get to it before I do...

My biggest complaint about FF5 is just the lack of lore, or at least more of it. The concept of two worlds seemed pretty interesting and the way it disguised the whole classic plot of the crystals wasn’t awful. Dawn Warriors could’ve gotten fleshed out more, some of the locations like Gohn and Gloceana should’ve been expounded on. Instead, it feels like a one-off mention and that’s it. Lots of great ideas only to have come short as a result of just the lack of detail and depth.

Yet, it’s still by far my pick out the rest for its amazing Job system and simple enough level mechanics.

To be fair, 4 has gotten quite a few over the years. I'll agree that it's time for 6 though, and 5 also needs some love.
Theres already a 4 DS, 5 should’ve gotten a similar treatment in the style of 3 DS and 4 DS

Last edited:
Don't expect it without contributing is all I'm saying. FF7R is a big budget game, Trial of Mana is low budget game. Square Enix will only invest on a project they deem worthy as profitable.

Wouldn't call Trails of Mana "low budget". Sure, it isn't comparable to Final Fantasy VII Remake, but it doesn't have a "indie budget". If Trials of Mana wouldn't be seen as profitable, the game wouldn't be made; all games are made with profit in mind. :messenger_winking:

Wouldn't call Trails of Mana "low budget". Sure, it isn't comparable to Final Fantasy VII Remake, but it doesn't have a "indie budget". If Trials of Mana wouldn't be seen as profitable, the game wouldn't be made; all games are made with profit in mind. :messenger_winking:

This is true, but worse case scenario is FF7R doesn't sell, and the company files for bankruptcy. Then there will be no more remakes from SE, or games for that matter.

OrionNebula

It’s not bad, but I’d rather get a remake of 9, 6, 10, 4, 8, 3, 2, 1, 7 once again after we’re done with FF7’s full remake in 14 1/2 years, 16, 13 and the sequels, then 5, then X-2, then 12

Vawn

Banned
STOP REMAKING FUCKING GAMES.

Push the brand forward. People in this thread who just want remakes all the time are backwards.

No don't. These actual Remakes have been amazing. Maybe because the games being remade are some of my favorites ever. Either way, the combining of classic games with modern style and graphics has been very refreshing.

Final Fantasy VII Remake demo was amazing. Resident Evil 2 was my personal Game of the Year last year and Link's Awakening wasn't far behind. Shadow of the Colossus was also fantastic.

Give us more. But only the best games and treated as new AAA games.

Kumomeme

FFV remake could be the 'dream' rpg people looking for all this time

with the various job system, travel between different world who end up later merged with all continent connected..if they nail it as open world game, it would be awesome

Kev Kev

2wxqx8.jpg

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST REMAKE VI ALREADY!"

Dacon

Banned
Tbh, I don't wanna hear any more of this until they finish VII. Then we'll know if it's even worth the effort and interest.

The Shepard

After playing the 7 remake demo I really want them to do an 8 remake aswell, it could be so good with that engine and battle system. Always thought a 4, 5 and 6 remake should use the 2dHD combo that octopath traveller uses ever since I played that game, get that develper on them.

Agreed. No one cares about 5.

giphy.gif

It’s not bad, but I’d rather get a remake of 9, 6, 10, 4, 8, 3, 2, 1, 7 once again after we’re done with FF7’s full remake in 14 1/2 years, 16, 13 and the sequels, then 5, then X-2, then 12

Aside from 6 this had better be a satire post.

And really people, 4? That game was already remade.

Can we get my main man Squall a new coat of paint first please? FFVIII is better than 7...just sayin.

V has better gameplay than both... though VIII could use some fixin'.

Last edited:

M.T.S

Neo Member
Damnit should have just skipped FFVIII Remake for a while and just gone for FFIX Remake instead in my opinion. FFXVI being more of a tribute to the style of IX with reminiscent characters like black mages and classic FF classes but with much new would hype me plenty.

Paracelsus

Square hides behind remakes because they can't make new games worth s*.
Whether it's narrative, world building or even gameplay, they're no longer elite and they haven't been for quite some time.
You have production values, but when a game is sold for $200, it better be pretty.

vi please. wasnt he director for vi?

Yes. He took over as Hironobu Sakaguchi was too busy with his (then) new position as Square's executive vice president, having to deal with many games at the time.

Final Fantasy V and VI deserve to be brought to the third dimension I think. But then again, I think all games pre-Final Fantasy VII should be brought to modern standards.

Myths

It’s unclear if they’re wanting to remake using top budget home console production or with a handheld budget. I think it might be more fitting as the latter, but I would certainly be interested in how it’d change modernized.

Would it further evolve XIII and X-2? Would it stick strictly to its turn-based system?

Vawn

Banned
I want this, but nothing like a FFVII style remake for this. This story/world isn't that serious and the turn-based gameplay with jobs is the entire point.

I want to see this remade similar to the way Link's Awakening was remade.

Top Bottom