• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: PS4 & 720 Will Need Plenty Of RAM To Meet Our Standard (+Edge RAM Rumor)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chû Totoro;39533617 said:
I love how PS4 and Xbox 720 will probably end up being sold at more than 500$ (or be less expensive but leaving a lot of people deceived).

And also this...

Why does the talk of a powerful console with a decent amount of ram always bring out the 'bu bu $500’ people? PS3 was the only one that did that, for a bunch of reasons we've gone over countless times. The 360 wasn't that expensive, but it was pretty powerful right?

How much would a 360 GPU, CPU and ram have cost in 2005, and what would that buy you now?

And while UMA might be preferred, what if it's at the expense of ram? If you were a developer, would you prefer 2GB UMA, or 4GB ram split into 2GB VRAM and 2GB general RAM? That might be the hobsons choice in front of Sony right now.

KageMaru

It does but the chip count will be aroubd the same UMA or not. The memory controller will be a little more complex, but it won't increase costs by a significant amount. Split pool also lets the background OS processes use slower memory while games have exclusive access to vram.

You've just listed the exact reasons I had in mind when thinking UMA is better suited for cost reduction.

Also, i don't think they would have a separate pool of slower memory just for the OS. Unless you were thinking the 4GB would consist of a slow pool of 2GB and a fast pool of 2GB.

They didn't fire those responsible, did they ? I think you're too optimistic, they still haven't proved at all that they're ready for next gen, but to be fair that's not even their biggest problem if I look at XIII/XIII-2. Also have they turned things completely around for XIV yet ?

If they really want to use that engine (to that extent) on their next gen titles I'd expect more problems.

You guys are missing the point of these supposedly more efficient engines. With the right technology, they may be able to iterate on designs and mechanics much better than they could this gen.

They didn't fire those responsible, did they ? I think you're too optimistic, they still haven't proved at all that they're ready for next gen, but to be fair that's not even their biggest problem if I look at XIII/XIII-2. Also have they turned things completely around for XIV yet ?

If they really want to use that engine (to that extent) on their next gen titles I'd expect more problems.

Well... much of their output has been pretty disappointing. FF XIII and FF XIV still baffle me.

Edit:
Not counting their admittedly good handheld output.

They didn't fire people, they just reshuffled people within the company and changed their development approach towards bigger projects.
The point of my post was to highlight that actually their console output has been increasing, we've had years and years of people (fairly) criticizing SE's long development cycles and now we're seeing more titles release within a smaller time frame, which reflects exactly what SE said they'd hope to do (One big FF a year or so)
Then there's the fact that we've already seen their Next Gen engine, and it appears already to be in a workable state, they've had a team specifically formed to create the engine ready for the next generation of consoles, this is completely different to their approach this generation with Crystal Tools, and the FFXIII titles, where the engine was still being worked on years after we originally saw those FFXIII teasers, which is part of the reason why FFXIII/Versus XIII were in such a development hell. This is why I'm optimistic . The Luminous Studio engine also has a lot of benefits and methods as to create games more efficiently without sacrificing quality, so good looking games with shorter development cycles

As for XIV, it relaunches in 2 months or so, it looks to deliver a lot of changes, so I'm sure the product will speak for itself when it launches

You've just listed the exact reasons I had in mind when thinking UMA is better suited for cost reduction.

Also, i don't think they would have a separate pool of slower memory just for the OS. Unless you were thinking the 4GB would consist of a slow pool of 2GB and a fast pool of 2GB.

When I say slow, I mean slower than VRAM.

I would actually prefer 4/2 for a total of six giving ample general memory for os and games.

KageMaru

I would actually prefer 4/2 for a total of six giving ample general memory for os and games.

A larger overall amount for the same amount of chips, right? I said the same thing a week or so ago. Seems like the best balance IMO.

Momentary

Banned
You don't buy sticks of GDDR5 ram.. GDDR stands from Graphics Double Data Ram. It only appears in Graphics Cards. You can get DDR3 that runs at higher speeds if that's what you're talking about if you mean high end RAM... like DDR3 2133.

The Wii U cannot run that Final Fantasy tech demo. If you think that then you should also be ready to pay over $500 minimum for the console. Because the GTX 680 graphics card that is used to power that demo alone costs $480-520.

Proelite

My guesstimation of the amount of Ram in the XboxInfinity

4Gig total, with half of it reserved to the OS.

Nope.

8GB of DDR3 / DDR4 with 3 reserved to the OS. The 3 GB for OS is currently rumored.

Addition amounts of Edram is highly likely.

Stacked ram 512mb - 1GB on the XGPU is also likely.

Hero

Square Enix doesn't need a fancy engine to make TWEWY 2. So until they do they can continue to fade into obscurity. This generation has been an absolute disaster for them and it seems like they didn't learn their lesson at all if they keep wanting to push the envelope with fancy engines.

KageMaru

Square Enix doesn't need a fancy engine to make TWEWY 2. So until they do they can continue to fade into obscurity. This generation has been an absolute disaster for them and it seems like they didn't learn their lesson at all if they keep wanting to push the envelope with fancy engines.

Actually their initiative with this engine clearly says you're wrong.

When will you people learn that power, or powerful engines, does not mean that game quality has to suffer. Go back to your ignorant world where stagnant technology is the mystical savior of the industry.

Proelite

When will you people learn that power, or powerful engines, does not mean that game quality has to suffer. Go back to your ignorant world where stagnant technology is the mystical savior of the industry.

Stagnant tech is what's killing this console gen right now. If Wii-U turns it around for 3rd parties next year, I'll eat my hat.

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but what about Wii U?

They're advising(pretty much warning) MS and Sony about what's needed to run this, and you think the Wii U will have this?

whats-wrong-with-you-Reggie-Fils-Aime-my-body-is-ready-other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1290.gif

Durante

Though that stance is pretty droll by itself, the most amusing thing is how quickly this apparent concern about game budgets would evaporate should Nintendo decide to release a console that is on par with its competitors.

Hero

Clearly I'm wrong when they haven't even made a next gen game yet. I mean after all, things worked out so well for them this time around. Considering they might not even get Versus out onto shelves before the end of the current generation I'd take anything they plan on (that you consider initiative) with a few doses of salt. You can disagree with me all you want but it's clear as day that Square Enix is no where near where they used to be in terms of popularity or relevance.

Proelite

Though that stance is pretty droll by itself, the most amusing thing is how quickly this apparent concern about game budgets would evaporate should Nintendo decide to release a console that is on par with its competitors.

Not to mention Nintendo can somehow be the savior of third parties.

KageMaru

Stagnant tech is what's killing this console gen right now. If Wii-U turns it around for 3rd parties next year, I'll eat my hat.

It's highly unlikely this will happen, but would be great to see.

Yeah pretty much and it's fucking annoying. It's almost as if the same people who have downplayed and ignored technology these last 6+ years are all of a sudden experts on the subject or suddenly give an interest because a certain company decided to start pushing tech relevant to the last few years.

Clearly I'm wrong when they haven't even made a next gen game yet. I mean after all, things worked out so well for them this time around. Considering they might not even get Versus out onto shelves before the end of the current generation I'd take anything they plan on (that you consider initiative) with a few doses of salt. You can disagree with me all you want but it's clear as day that Square Enix is no where near where they used to be in terms of popularity or relevance.

What is it with people with Kid Icarus avatars having piss poor reading comprehension? You claimed that Square hasn't learned anything from the issues experienced this generation. With efficiency being a focus with this new engine, you are clearly wrong on your ignorant assumption.

I don't give a shit how popular or relevant you think they are. All I'm saying is it's too early to be assuming doom and gloom regarding next gen because of this engine.

Instro

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but what about Wii U?

Disheartening that Wii seems to be left out of next gen talk from developers, again.

Well, SE never actually mentions any consoles in the article do they?

Regardless this demo is targeted to run at the highest spec possible, so the WiiU wouldn't be able to run it at the same level of fidelity as the other 2. Whether or not a port of their engine/games will be possible is another matter of course.

Hero

What is it with people with Kid Icarus avatars having piss poor reading comprehension? You claimed that Square hasn't learned anything from the issues experienced this generation. With efficiency being a focus with this new engine, you are clearly wrong on your ignorant assumption.

I don't give a shit how popular or relevant you think they are. All I'm saying is it's too early to be assuming doom and gloom regarding next gen because of this engine.

It's quite cute you bring up avatars considering your own. Yadda yadda, people in glass houses, something something.

Here's a hint: What they PLAN OR AIM ON DOING isn't going matter until they FOLLOW THROUGH with it. If (or when, according to you) Square Enix magically transforms their entire business model next generation based on this engine and is able to launch more than three titles for the entire generation without it being a complete development clusterfuck then you can bring this up all you want and I'll admit I was wrong. But until then it's on Square Enix to prove that they realized their mistakes and have changed and deliver what gamers want.

StevieP

Banned

Yeah pretty much and it's fucking annoying. It's almost as if the same people who have downplayed and ignored technology these last 6+ years are all of a sudden experts on the subject or suddenly give an interest because a certain company decided to start pushing tech relevant to the last few years.

No, budgets are too high for "AAA" (or now, "AAAA") projects regardless of who's system they appear on. The industry is headed toward a complete homogenization and risk-averse model that mirrors the typical "hollywood blockbuster" without any sort of middle-ground to try smaller things (note: on consoles - Square, as an example, is doing great work on handhelds).

It has nothing to do with Nintendo trying to rein the industry in, because - frankly - it's extreme in either direction.

Where the majority of dev studios are owned by a couple mega publishers and those mega publishers work on this model it's a path that leads to a far less diverse *console* market.

Here in Toronto, there are like 6 different brands of gas station. Like 5 of them are owned by the same big 2 companies (because they bought out all the little guys) and hilariously the supply chain is basically the same. Gas prices are never, EVER competitive outside a few independently run and sketchy stations and are always *exactly* the same price at *exactly* the same time. It's probably the same where you are. What's my point? This type of homogenization is dangerous. Obviously a game that looks like this through-and-through would be very expensive.

Creativity *does* lose when the budget is massive. Bean counters would never green light a game that expensive that's any kind of a risk. You know this. I know this. Everyone else should know this too.

You want a game that has this much time and effort put into the art? It's going to be expensive, and it's going to be by-the-numbers for the most part - to appeal to the lowest common denominators to garner the sales to make up the massive expense. There's a reason why you hear crap like "1 million sales to break even" or "next gen will be 5 million sales to break even" and all that.

The current budget model is broken and going all-in high-end is not going to fix it. Whether your name is Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft or Apple or EA or Square or THQ (RIP in 1 year), it doesn't matter in the long run.

No, budgets are too high for "AAA" (or now, "AAAA") projects regardless of who's system they appear on. The industry is headed toward a complete homogenization and risk-averse model that mirrors the typical "hollywood blockbuster" without any sort of middle-ground to try smaller things (note: on consoles - Square, as an example, is doing great work on handhelds).

It has nothing to do with Nintendo trying to rein the industry in, because - frankly - it's extreme in either direction.

Where the majority of dev studios are owned by a couple mega publishers and those mega publishers work on this model it's a path that leads to a far less diverse *console* market.

Here in Toronto, there are like 6 different brands of gas station. Like 5 of them are owned by the same big 2 companies (because they bought out all the little guys) and hilariously the supply chain is basically the same. Gas prices are never, EVER competitive outside a few independently run and sketchy stations and are always *exactly* the same price at *exactly* the same time. It's probably the same where you are. What's my point? This type of homogenization is dangerous. Obviously a game that looks like this through-and-through would be very expensive.

Creativity *does* lose when the budget is massive. Bean counters would never green light a game that expensive that's any kind of a risk. You know this. I know this. Everyone else should know this too.

You want a game that has this much time and effort put into the art? It's going to be expensive, and it's going to be by-the-numbers for the most part - to appeal to the lowest common denominators to garner the sales to make up the massive expense. There's a reason why you hear crap like "1 million sales to break even" or "next gen will be 5 million sales to break even" and all that.

The current budget model is broken and going all-in high-end is not going to fix it. Whether your name is Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft or Apple or EA or Square or THQ (RIP in 1 year), it doesn't matter in the long run.
There's no reason to think gaming budgets will balloon next gen like they did next gen, I don't think anyone has even said so.

KageMaru

It's quite cute you bring up avatars considering your own. Yadda yadda, people in glass houses, something something.

Here's a hint: What they PLAN OR AIM ON DOING isn't going matter until they FOLLOW THROUGH with it. If (or when, according to you) Square Enix magically transforms their entire business model next generation based on this engine and is able to launch more than three titles for the entire generation without it being a complete development clusterfuck then you can bring this up all you want and I'll admit I was wrong. But until then it's on Square Enix to prove that they realized their mistakes and have changed and deliver what gamers want.

What does my avatar have to do with your poor comprehension? I'm not the one shitting on a company because the moves they make don't align with my personal hopes.

Also, we don't have to wait for next gen to come and go. All we have to do is look at the engine itself and see if it contains features such as more efficient toolchain, quicker iteration, etc. If it does then that already proves they learned something from this gen, thus you're wrong.

I don't care about their output, I'm not the biggest SE fan, I've always seen them as overrated. However it's your assumption that is silly IMO. If this article included how they made the engine so efficient, and scalable, that they were using it for TWEWY 2 on the 3DS, I'm sure you wouldn't have anything negative to say.

Creativity *does* lose when the budget is massive.

So work towards efficiency to keep the budget under control. Recent developments, such as those seen in UE4, CE3, and Frostbite 2, where iteration does not lead to hours of compile time is a great way to allow more done in equal or less time. This is one of the many areas where new technology can benefit budgets.

No one is saying the current course of development practices is the best method to go. In fact a common theme among developers has been working towards efficiency.

Ryoku

Goddammit, Square Enix. Come to PC. We have all this crap already, and have had it for quite some time. Why must they treat us like peasants? Lol.

Anyways, Microsoft or Sony won't care as long as they can get major engines to run in some form (UE4, CE3, etc.). Square Enix's performance this gen has done little to help convince MS or Sony that they need even more tech to support Square Enix's massive requests.

Harlock

Sony, if you want be ahread of MS, put the same amount of RAM but free all for games, when running games.

Hero

What does my avatar have to do with your poor comprehension? I'm not the one shitting on a company because the moves they make don't align with my personal hopes.

I thought you didn't care about my opinion on SE? Why does it matter to you if I shit on them on an internet message board?
Also, we don't have to wait for next gen to come and go. All we have to do is look at the engine itself and see if it contains features such as more efficient toolchain, quicker iteration, etc. If it does then that already proves they learned something from this gen, thus you're wrong.

Astounding logic. You were captain of your high school debate team, right?
I don't care about their output, I'm not the biggest SE fan, I've always seen them as overrated. However it's your assumption that is silly IMO. If this article included how they made the engine so efficient, and scalable, that they were using it for TWEWY 2 on the 3DS, I'm sure you wouldn't have anything negative to say.

No fucking shit, because that's literally what I said in my first post in this thread. It doesn't even have to be on 3DS (another assumption on your part). If they put it out Vita it would actually be a reason to own that system.

Indyana

They're advising(pretty much warning) MS and Sony about what's needed to run this, and you think the Wii U will have this?
I like how you are giving a menacing tone to their words. Like S-E could say ¡FU Japan! If you want to play our games you have to buy a PC.

KageMaru

I thought you didn't care about my opinion on SE? Why does it matter to you if I shit on them on an internet message board?

When did I ever say I care or don't care about your opinion of SE. Reading comprehension fail yet again.

I enjoy singling out illogical nonsense. Maybe if less people wouldn't jump to irrational assumptions, we would have better discussions here on GAF.

Astounding logic. You were captain of your high school debate team, right?

So care to point out what's so flawed in my logic? You claim pushing the envelope with this engine proved they learned nothing from this gen. I say you're wrong since the engine can show they have learned lessons.

Not that hard to understand.

pvpness

Not to mention Nintendo can somehow be the savior of third parties.

Is this the "Nintendo persecution complex" in reverse? It's weird to see.

Favorite part of thread: "Our new engine is super efficient, but could we get assloads of ram to make it happen?"

I didn't think it would be possible, but next gen could be even more hilarious than this one..

KageMaru

Is this the "Nintendo persecution complex" in reverse? It's weird to see.

Favorite part of thread: "Our new engine is super efficient, but could we get assloads of ram to make it happen?"

I didn't think it would be possible, but next gen could be even more hilarious than this one..

You do realize engine efficiency (development-wise) has nothing to do with RAM requirements, right?

Bean counters would never green light a game that expensive that's any kind of a risk. You know this. I know this. Everyone else should know this too.

Well anyone besides Sony. Beyond and The Last of US probably wouldn't get a look anywhere else. I do agree that people complaining that everything was the same this E3 with the lack of new IP are in for a rude awakening next gen when all we see at E3 is Dead Space 4, CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

A larger overall amount for the same amount of chips, right? I said the same thing a week or so ago. Seems like the best balance IMO.

I'd take that. 2GB should be plenty for rendering the current view, but not enough for storing the entire current level. 2 VRAM plus 2/4 normal RAM lets you have a super fast cache which would work great with a streaming engine, constantly keeping the VRAM filled as needed. You'd need something as memory increases and drive speeds don't keep up

pvpness

You do realize engine efficiency (development-wise) has nothing to do with RAM requirements, right?

Yeah, I'm aware how engines implement new features that reduce the tedium of many processes.

I simply find it somewhat amusing that anyone would tout efficiency while asking for more hardware grunt. When I want my work force to be more efficient, I don't hire new people or build a new system, I improve upon the processes of my current staff and system. Call me old fashioned I guess. /shrug

KageMaru

Well anyone besides Sony. Beyond and The Last of US probably wouldn't get a look anywhere else. I do agree that people complaining that everything was the same this E3 with the lack of new IP are in for a rude awakening next gen when all we see at E3 is Dead Space 4, CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc.

To be fair, the start of a new gen is usually when we see a slew of new IPs.

Yeah, I'm aware how engines implement new features that reduce the tedium of many processes.

I simply find it somewhat amusing that anyone would tout efficiency while asking for more hardware grunt. When I want my work force to be more efficient, I don't hire new people or build a new system, I improve upon the processes of my current staff and system. Call me old fashioned I guess. /shrug

I can understand that reasoning, but due to the nature of legacy code or tools, building a new system (or part of a new system) is one of the ways to gain efficiency.

pvpness

I can understand that reasoning, but due to the nature of legacy code or tools, building a new system (or part of a new system) is one of the ways to gain efficiency.

I can agree with that so long as we include the modifier "eventually" somewhere.

Top Bottom