• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Am I the only one thinking that they are developing the next main Final Fantasy...but for a portable system?

*run away quickly*

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Riposte said:
Final Fantasy XIII-13
I remember way before XIII was released, I read in an interview that the number "13" will have a role in the story. How did that pan out? I can't think of anything. lol

duckroll

Jinfash said:
I remember way before XIII was released, I read in an interview that the number "13" will have a role in the story. How did that pan out? I can't think of anything. lol

13 days, 13 chapters, there're various symbolism using the number 13 throughout the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
13 days, 13 chapters, there're various symbolism using the number 13 throughout the game.
I had no idea the story took place over the course of 13 days, and for some reason I was under the impression it had 12 chapters. Derpity me.

StoppedInTracks said:
We should start calling it FFXIII-2-2
People should stop copying my ill-received jokes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mpl90 said:
Am I the only one thinking that they are developing the next main Final Fantasy...but for a portable system?

*run away quickly*
Yes.

Eurogamer said:
Final Fantasy XV won't be on Vita/3DS
by Fred Dutton
8/06/2011 @ 01:16

Square Enix has no plans to follow Dragon Quest IX's lead and move the main Final Fantasy series onto handhelds.

Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase told Eurogamer that fans demand top-of-the-line visuals from the core series, leaving them no choice but to restrict the franchise to high definition machines.

"If you're talking about the main Final Fantasy titles, one of the strong focuses of the series is cutting edge graphics. That's what people enjoy and that's what people associate Final Fantasy with," he insisted.

"In that sense I would like to assure our users of this top quality artistic visual achievement. To do that we have to stick with high definition consoles."

Kitase added that Square will continue to concentrate handheld development on franchise spin-offs, such as the Tactics or Crisis Core series.

"Though the main Final Fantasy franchise has always been with top definition consoles, Crisis Core, for example, has been very successful on PSP. So those smaller projects we'll consider for PSP2 or 3DS."

The last entry in the franchise's primary timeline, the much-derided Final Fantasy XIV Online, launched last year, while Final Fantasy XIII-2 arrives for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next year.

The main Dragon Quest series found huge success when it moved from PlayStation 2 to DS last year, with the acclaimed Sentinels of the Starry Skies shifting over six million copies worldwide since launch.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-final-fantasy-xv-wont-be-on-vita-3ds

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Am I the only one interested in this change of strategy?
I couldn't bear anymore the long dev cycles they had, I think this can help ^^

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Financially this will be beneficial for Square Enix. They're already bleeding too much money as it is; this will stabilize their business in the long run. As long as they maintain the quality, it shouldn't really matter.

But if FFXIII-3 comes out in 2014, I wonder when Square will ship Versus? If the reason Versus isn't being shown right now is cuz of FFXIII-2 and Type - 0, what happens now?

Versus 13 should be PS4/ 720 launch title. The hype is already there for this game, imagine it being the only jRPG (a little bit westernized) on the market for those new consoles.

It is a no-brainer IMO.

Perfo

Meisadragon said:
But if FFXIII-3 comes out in 2014, I wonder when Square will ship Versus?

End of 2012 in Japan, first trimester 2013 in the west. Easy :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
StoppedInTracks said:
Versus 13 should be PS4/ 720 launch title. The hype is already there for this game, imagine it being the only jRPG (a little bit westernized) on the market for those new consoles.

It is a no-brainer IMO.

Assuming its still an exclusive, I don't see any reason why Square should ditch the PS3 install base and release it on a new platform. If they do decide to release it on the Xbox 360, then we have a joint 100 million HD install base or more. I heard its in the pre-production stage, so it will probably come out in 2015 along with Respawn's game. :lol

To Far Away Times said:
After the dissapointment of Final Fantasy XIII, why would you announce two direct sequels to it?

Because, so far, FF13-2 fixes everything that was wrong with 13?

So you get 13's amazing graphics, soundtrack, battle system minus 13's shitty corridors and linearity?

Don't know WTF they are planning for 13-3, though.

Meisadragon said:
But if FFXIII-3 comes out in 2014, I wonder when Square will ship Versus? If the reason Versus isn't being shown right now is cuz of FFXIII-2 and Type - 0, what happens now?
Easy... This time it will be the other way around... will get nothing on FFXIII-3 till after the release of Versus.

Riposte said:
Final Fantasy XIII-13

Final Fantasy XIII-14.

Perfo

nelsonroyale said:
ugh....these guys are determined to grind the series into dust....

I think this way we get better games and they get more profits. The feedback will help changing in short times things for the new title without risking to upset the audience. After 10 yrs of doubts, I think this is the first good move they're doing in the development of a FF.

hteng

Banned
is this gonna come out before versus? lol

Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase told Eurogamer that fans demand top-of-the-line visuals from the core series, leaving them no choice but to restrict the franchise to high definition machines.

ok this sounds like they are blaming players, wtf, get off your high horse.

hteng said:
ok this sounds like they are blaming players, wtf, get off your high horse.
Huh? What? He's just explaining why they aim for consoles, which is because their players want these things from a mainline FF game. He's not blaming them for anything. He's talking about trying to live up to fans expectations.

TheChaos said:
Square-Enix: Guys, HD is haaaaard. *twirls hair*
What does this have to do with anything? If anything this means they are actually trying to work better in HD development.

GraveRobberX said:
Jesus, they're milking this good aren't they

We have had only 1 FF in this console generation so far, by the end of it 4+....the Fuck?

I know I'm gonna get the you crazy

I think both FFXIII-2 FFXIII-3 are really DLC expansions, now being converted into <20 gameplay (reuse every asset at the disposal), and just sell them @$60 to recoup money for the disaster that was FFXIV

Well they do really need to make up for those losses (and FF13 wasn't exactly a rip roaring success that was becoming of the mainline series now)

hteng

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Huh? What? He's just explaining why they aim for consoles, which is because their players want these things from a mainline FF game. He's not blaming them for anything. He's talking about trying to live up to fans expectations.

What does this have to do with anything? If anything this means they are actually trying to work better in HD development.

the explanation sure sounded like a complain, why use words like "no choice", "restriction" ?

a better wording would have been, we want our franchise to live up to player's expectation of top of the line graphics, so we plan to keep the mainline FF games in HD consoles.

So if FFXIII-3 were ever true... then I guess this gen we are getting on consoles:

2010: FFXIII
2012: FFXIII-2
2013: FFversusXIII
2014: FFXIII-3

that's 4 FF games for my PS3..... more than I ever imagined at the start of this generation, color me happy ;-)

Beside... it was clear at the start of this generation that SE were going to focus only on XIII for it, maybe leaving XV for the next generation and XVI for the generation after that... probably this is their new strategy now?

One main numbered FF game per a generation?

hteng said:
the explanation sure sounded like a complain, why use words like "no choice", "restriction" ?

a better wording would have been, we want our franchise to live up to player's expectation of top of the line graphics, so we plan to keep the mainline FF games in HD consoles.
Well I don't think he used the words "restrict" since it's not actually in quotes. I think that's the articles own words.

Mandoric

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Well they do really need to make up for those losses (and FF13 wasn't exactly a rip roaring success that was becoming of the mainline series now)

FF13 sold the second-most of Final Fantasy titles released after 2000.

As milking goes, milking a title that did 5-6 million when you really wanted 6-7 still beats the shit out of going to the 500k farm.

hteng

Banned
Mandoric said:

As milking goes, milking a title that did 5-6 million when you really wanted 6-7 still beats the shit out of going to the 500k farm.

did those number include people selling back the game after finishing it within 2 weeks? i remember it was such a debacle at that time.

royalan

I think the biggest problem with this is Square-Enix's absolutely abysmal project management. Seriously, for all their improvement, it still takes them entirely too long to produce games. Biggest problem with S-E for me.

Honestly, as much of a trainwreck as FFXIII-3 is destined to be, if Square was churning out projects at the speed of, say, Ubisoft, I don't think anyone would care about this.

But all of the Fabula Nova Crystallis projects still being announced after all these years when we've still only gotten one game from the supposed series means that, after all this time, we're still years away until Square does something truly new with the Final Fantasy series. At this rate, it's looking like we won't see FFXV until 2015, at the absolute earliest. And that's just disappointing.

Mandoric

Banned
hteng said:
did those number include people selling back the game after finishing it within 2 weeks? i remember it was such a debacle at that time.

That's the problem (with pretty much every SP-only game) of JP retail, not S-E. It doesn't say too many flattering things about brand identity, but the biggest measurable harm to S-E is that they can't sell very many more new copies because the used market is cheap and common.

Rad-

Wow. XIII-2 already looks pretty boring and now they are planning XIII-3? Why the fuck are they doing this with the disappointing XIII and why didn't they do this with the more deserving XII?

Hear me SE, stop this project now and register XII-2 domain...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Rahxephon91 said:

No, it means they're conceding to this self-made fact and giving us sequels to an awful game just to reuse assets. 2 year dev cycle isn't that hard when all you've got to do is a pallet swap and hem Vannille's outfit (which is already edging the line of effort). They should just rename the series Final Purgatory.

Tagg9 said:
Square Enix:
noclue.jpg

This needs to quoted again.

Meisadragon said:
Milk that Crystal tools, Square. :lol smh.

Maybe it's a defensive domain grab?

Right, because there are other companies out there thinking about making a game called Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Rad- said:
Wow. XIII-2 already looks pretty boring and now they are planning XIII-3? Why the fuck are they doing this with the disappointing XIII and why didn't they do this with the more deserving XII?

Hear me SE, stop this project now and register XII-2 domain...
FFXIII-2 looks boring? I don't think so. Maybe you need to pay a visit to the FFXIII-2 thread.
FFXII put me to sleep and I'm glad they didn't milk that.

Mandoric said:

Well I was talking about Japan sales really (where they make more profit thanks to a stronger yen and higher game prices at launch)

Perfo

The Praiseworthy said:
2010: FFXIII
2012: FFXIII-2
2013: FFversusXIII

Looks very promising. I'm curious to see if T.Nomura's team (or maybe Ito's?) will be continuing to produce titles at 2yrs cycle to alternate to the main saga:

2015: Nomura's spin off
2016: FFXV
2017: Nomura's spin off
2018: FFXV-2

and so on. Basically a main trilogy for every generation, and a spin off trilogy alternating it. Like Dragon Age and Mass Effect for Bioware that is.

Top Bottom