• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix reveals TGS 2014 booth map

Dark_castle

Yeah, to be honest I think so, too. You could see in the gameplay trailer that it was based on PS3 assets. Mostly the character models which really didn't look great and some stiff animations when Noctis gets hit as an example (the same problem was in the 2011 trailer, too, when Noctis gets attacked by the Behemot). I think this will be the first gen where SE won't set a graphical benchmark with the first FF :/ Maybe FFXVI with help from other SCE Worldwide Studios (though it would then have to be a Sony exclusive, obviously).

And this is probably for the best. SE went all out on graphics for XIII and we all know how terrible the game turns out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We've seen KH3 already. Are you that impressed?

RaD got help from Santa Monica and they've been working on the assets for a long time.

We saw a clearly early work in progress build that Nomura said didnt represent the final product. What exactly are you suggesting?

Falk

that puzzling face
How much could you make KH3 look 'better' anyway?

KH has a very stylized look. In fact that's part of the reason BbS HD looks amazing using mostly retouched PSP assets.

Giving Sora's hair 10x the polygons isn't going to make it look better.

wmlk

We saw a clearly early work in progress build that Nomura said didnt represent the final product. What exactly are you suggesting?

I'm suggesting that Santa Monica and RaD are eons beyond SE graphically. You're kidding yourself if you think just because RaD did great, that KH3 will be some paragon for graphical achievement.

How much could you make KH3 look 'better' anyway?

KH has a very stylized look. In fact that's part of the reason BbS HD looks amazing using mostly retouched PSP assets.

Giving Sora's hair 10x the polygons isn't going to make it look better.

This, pretty much. I couldn't give less of a shit how it compares to The Order graphically. It'll likely look as good as it needs to.

Inuhanyou

I'm suggesting that Santa Monica and RaD are eons beyond SE graphically. You're kidding yourself if you think just because RaD did great, that KH3 will be some paragon for graphical achievement.

I didn't say anything about that, i implied it would look really good though. I don't see what your shaking your head about that assertion for. Do you think they(Osaka team) can't make games that look a lot better than PSP?

Koozek

Yeah, I think western studios are just miles ahead in terms of workflow efficiency and graphics (not necessarily in the art/aesthetics department, but on a pure technical level), nowadays, with all the experience from the last gen. Visual Works on the other hand is crazy good, when it comes to CGI stuff. If they could convert their assets directly for SE's game engine (like Luminous was supposed to do if it even exists in that form anymore) it would be great.

Verendus

Banned
Even FF15 still comes directly from a PS3 development process, they're going to upshine everything the best they can, but its definately not going to be the best example of next gen tech out there. I'm looking more towards KH3 for that....BBS still looks amazing even blown up to an HD screen...so what can be done on consoles an order of magnitude more powerful then that result in!?
That Uncharted.

Already killing hopes and dreams before it releases.

Inuhanyou

That Uncharted.

Already killing hopes and dreams before it releases.

How do you mean!? I do think Uncharted 4 looks really amazing..but I was just saying that its obvious tumultuous cycle meant that the assets for 15 were probably gonna be all over the place over 10 years evolution, although they'd try to fix them up as much as they could.

I really hope they don't reuse the CGI they've been showing for years into FF15, that's like the very definition of crudely gluing things together

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How do you mean!? I do think Uncharted 4 looks really amazing..but I was just saying that its obvious tumultuous cycle meant that the assets for 15 were probably gonna be all over the place over 10 years evolution, although they'd try to fix them up as much as they could.

I really hope they don't reuse the CGI they've been showing for years into FF15, that's like the very definition of crudely gluing things together

Well, pretty sure some of that stuff from 2011 is still in.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not even remotely close to the cg in kh1 yet
So there's plenty of room for improvement

That's been my point exactly these past few posts. Having an entire game look like the CG works is probably going to be the uncanny valley of JRPGs. It's almost the difference between 2D and 3D Disney feature films in terms of aesthetics.

Or maybe I'm just an old fart.

Exentryk

If SE/Nomura were more like Kojima in terms of marketing, they wouldn't let today go to waste.

Bxf4yzLIYAAmXRx.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
S-E really needs to deliver soon. Its sad that I have no desire to finish FFXIII or even start the other two sequels. I just keep playing FFVI again and again.
Also FFXIV.

I'm really trying to keep expectations low for TGS, but I just can't help getting excited now that it's so close. I really want XV to be there, but I've grown so cynical when it comes to this game that I just can't see it happening.

Some Type-0 HD news maybe? That could happen, right?

I'm really trying to keep expectations low for TGS, but I just can't help getting excited now that it's so close. I really want XV to be there, but I've grown so cynical when it comes to this game that I just can't see it happening.

Some Type-0 HD news maybe? That could happen, right?

I think Type-0 is likely cause this is it´s first and last TGS before it´s release.

Verendus

Banned
They should show everyone a trailer with only an additional 15 seconds of new footage. Reverse a lot of the existing shots, maybe add some filters, change some clothes. Turn blue to yellow, turn green to grey, turn white to black. You know, to help add to the mystique.

At this point, FFXV fans have become used to surviving on only the tiniest piece of information that I can see a variety of discussion forming from that:

What does the reversal of camera mean? Is it something to do with time maybe?
Why did blue turn to yellow which turned to grey which turned to black?
A theory of colours and what they mean in Final Fantasy.
Is FFXV a game of paradoxes?
Do you think FFXV is set on Earth in the future?

That way, someone can think to themselves, 'I'm looking after our fans.'

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's true though. People reaching for every tiny thing they can at this point and it's SE's fault.

Can't blame fans for seeing mirages at this point. They were the ones who put us into deserts :p

Exentryk

They should show everyone a trailer with only an additional 15 seconds of new footage. Reverse a lot of the existing shots, maybe add some filters, change some clothes. Turn blue to yellow, turn green to grey, turn white to black. You know, to help add to the mystique.

At this point, FFXV fans have become used to surviving on only the tiniest piece of information that I can see a variety of discussion forming from that:

What does the reversal of camera mean? Is it something to do with time maybe?
Why did blue turn to yellow which turned to grey which turned to black?
A theory of colours and what they mean in Final Fantasy.
Is FFXV a game of paradoxes?
Do you think FFXV is set on Earth in the future?

That way, someone can think to themselves, 'I'm looking after our fans.'

They're not even doing that. Keep the drip feed on atleast. How hard is to release a couple of screenshots every 3 months? =/

Verendus

Banned
They're not even doing that. Keep the drip feed on atleast. How hard is to release a couple of screenshots every 3 months? =/
They went from, 'We'll keep you updated' to 'Nah, fuck those guys.' Someone should go throw a chair through SE's office window.

Is this what you're saying, but in a polite manner as possible so as to not betray your true feelings? Because I'm reading between the lines and that's what it sounds like.

Inuhanyou

Well, pretty sure some of that stuff from 2011 is still in.

That's fine. Atleast its somewhat recent. Anything before that is just looking like completely different designs of the characters at this point, and you can tell CG at Visual Works has evolved a lot since the first trailer came out

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That's fine. Atleast its somewhat recent. Anything before that is just looking like completely different designs of the characters at this point, and you can tell CG at Visual Works has evolved a lot since the first trailer came out

If FFXIII was anything to go by, SE is probably willing to excuse some minor differences just to push the games out. FFXIII started with a wonderful CG that had a lot more details on Lightning's face. By the time we get nearer to the midway point, her face has become flawless like the ones in XII's CGI. I guess if they wanted to save time and money, I won't be surprised to see some compromise in the CGI in XV.

Exentryk

They went from, 'We'll keep you updated' to 'Nah, fuck those guys.' Someone should go throw a chair through SE's office window.

Is this what you're saying, but in a polite manner as possible so as to not betray your true feelings? Because I'm reading between the lines and that's what it sounds like.

Someone should do more than throw a chair >_>

All this discussion has gotten me thinking. Does SE's office only have one window?

No windows in the room/vault where XV is kept. Right alongside Nomura and Ito in chains.

Verendus

Banned
All this discussion has gotten me thinking. Does SE's office only have one window?
Oh there's a fair few windows. One could use multiple chairs. Going to be a bit hard from the outside though. You'd have to go in and throw the chair outwards, then tell them in dramatic fashion, 'Look at what you made me do. Look at what you made me give.'

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Someone should do more than throw a chair >_>

No windows in the room/vault where XV is kept. Right alongside Nomura and Ito in chains.

You think too kindly of SE. Ito is probably in some separate dungeon of his own. Why do you think Kitase gave out a loud laugh when an interviewer asked him about Ito (Jason from Kotaku?)? It was an evil laugh.

Mr. RHC

Let's all just be reasonable for once.
Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 and Persona 5 will be a no show this year at TGS.

*runs*

Let's all just be reasonable for once.
Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 and Persona 5 will be a no show this year at TGS.

*runs*

The trailer for p5 was more than enough I doubt we will see gameplay besides they have to give that p4 dancing game a release date ;P expect type-0 at TGS

Top Bottom