• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix RPGs on sale on North American PSN

XBP

That's quite the claim there. Might start a bit of a frenzy, you know?

Let me rephrase that. The PC release with the HD textures mod. I guess I should have been more clear in my last post (changed it now to avoid confusion)

Kiote

Man, I would buy every single one of these if Sony didn't totally screw us on Cross Gen digital purchases.

Would be such a waste to have these sitting in a cabinet with my PS3.

Really tempted to grab FF7 and/or 9 but there's no way I will play them. I already have FF6, FFT: WotL, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Bravely Default, and Etrian Odyssey 4 clogging up my JRPG backlog. Cold day in hell when I even beat the ones I already own.

So, FF4 Complete is super fucking easy. I've never beaten the US original, but I'm curious to load up the Japanese version to compare it. This is a joke how easy it is. Not a single bad guy even attacked before the first boss in the cave. Kain and Cecil were getting to attack 2 sometimes even 3 times, with the bad guys never making a move. The Mist Dragon was literally doing 1 damage (outside of the cold attack which you will probably only get hit by one turn).

Think I'll just check out The After Years stuff. Not really any fun with zero challenge.

TehOh

So, FF4 Complete is super fucking easy. I've never beaten the US original, but I'm curious to load up the Japanese version to compare it. This is a joke how easy it is. Not a single bad guy even attacked before the first boss in the cave. Kain and Cecil were getting to attack 2 sometimes even 3 times, with the bad guys never making a move. The Mist Dragon was literally doing 1 damage (outside of the cold attack which you will probably only get hit by one turn).

Think I'll just check out The After Years stuff. Not really any fun with zero challenge.

It gets harder. Not insane, but it does get harder. The intro is supposed to show how "badass" Kain and Cecil are, so it's super easy.

DedValve

Banned
Holy shit dissidia is amazing. Why hasmt this been followed up on? I'm still coming to terms with the action controls. The rpg controls are exactly what I expected ff13 to be originally.

So I got ffxhd and dissimilar. As someone whose never played ff games before outside of the crummy 13 what else should I get?

I don't remember how easy the Mist Dragon was, but from my experience FFIV Complete was not challenging, but fun. Some enemies were annoying. The only "challenge" was fighting those Trap Door enemies. I can't remember from the top of my head why, but they were really annoying. Not even a challenge, just pure annoying.

Cool characters, I really like Rydia's character and background. Cool concept. Lots of stuff going on.

Ifrit

Is Final Fantasy Origins as crap as the other SNES-to-PS1 ports?

Well, FF1 and 2 were never on SNES.

PS Origins is awesome, best version of FF1 and 2 IMO, just because it retains the battle system( with some optional tweaks). and difficulty of the original games so you can experience them just like they were meant to be played.

All future ports of FF1 and 2 completely change the battle system and lowers the difficulty of the games unfortunately.

Juice

Man, I would buy so many of these if they could be played on PS4.

I spent two years looking forward to the FFX remaster, but not I'm not going to consider playing a game for the sake of its improved graphics by *dusting off my PS3*. Argh

Rnr1224

Just picked up the tactics remake. ill be downloading it once i get home. cant wait to finally try it. and even tho xenogears is $10 im still thinking about getting it!

Link Man

Banned

A bit off-topic for the thread, but you might enjoy the DS/Mobile version of FFIV a bit more. Much more challenging, with new strategies for many of the bosses.

Oh, and I bit the bullet and got FFX/X2 HD for Vita. Not sure what I want to do with the PS3 version I have already.

Lothar

Banned

This part is supposed to be super easy to show that Cecil and Kain are not like some weakling kids. They start off at level 10 instead of level 1 for a reason.

If you find the game being too easy, start running from all random battles. Press L and R lets you run instantly every time. I used to do low level challenge runs for the SNES game. I would run from every random and would even kill off Cecil during boss fights so he couldn't get the experience. That was the most fun I ever had with the game.

Tempted to buy the second Dissidia game since I never got around to it and also FFX HD and FFIX since I only own them for their original consoles. But then again my backlog is already so full. :(

Okay I have no clue what to get. I already picked up Chrono Cross but not sure what to do now. Do I get FF 8 and 9? Do I get FFT War of the Lions? Should I not get anything and not add to my backlog?

Aru

The After Years is as easy as FF4. Until the last dungeon, exactly like in FF4. The game just becomes brutally hard at that point.

danthefan

Okay I have no clue what to get. I already picked up Chrono Cross but not sure what to do now. Do I get FF 8 and 9? Do I get FFT War of the Lions? Should I not get anything and not add to my backlog?

FFT is god-damn amazing imo, would highly recommend. After that FF9 is better than FF8.

It's a tactical-RPG. You play as Kazuki Takemura
and you are a test pilot for the infamous Wanzers. You have a good friend Ryogo and you team up with him to do all sorts of job related tasks and the plot keeps getting thicker. There's also two campaigns, one after you finish the first. You can customize your Wanzers with all kinds of parts that swap out for battle. The game takes you on a terrific journey. You'll strategically place your units and you'll have to work hard or you'll get crushed. It's mostly towns, you arent moving your guy, you're moving the menu to talk to people, but it flows very well along the way. This is at Square's prime for whoever cares.
I really enjoyed it. I don't think Square has done anything real great FM wise, since FM3.
You get to pick moves like missiles, guns, punching, etc (depending on how you make your Wanzer). You plan out your attack during battle and you watch as the enemy or you (the player) take off damage from the different Wanzer or other mech's body parts. Like I'll destroy this guy's arm so he can't use his weapon, so he'll have to rely on melee attacks and other stuff like that.

Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png

Why did you spoiler tag any of that?

I'll say yes. Dissidia has some issues (mostly the dreadful writing), but it is fun.

I really need to grab Front Mission 3 and maybe the Final Fantasy IV Collection from this. I have everything else, hah.

Dreadful writing? There are literally very few fighting games with a better story. Unless you are comparing the story of a fighting game to an RPG?

A bit off-topic for the thread, but you might enjoy the DS/Mobile version of FFIV a bit more. Much more challenging, with new strategies for many of the bosses.

I played it back when it first came out, same with GBA version, and the fan translation of the the Super Famicom original. So, yeah, maybe it seems so crazy easy 'cause the last version I played was the DS version.

Not really a fan of the new Cecil or Kain designs. Like the rest of the redone art like the backgrounds and monsters, and the new music. I'll probably stick with it since I love the game. But, yeah, could be harder for sure.

garath

I already own all the FF games I want.

Should I get Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger? I'll be playing on Vita.

I owned one of them on PS1 but I don't remember which. It was ages ago.

edit: Some informal internet research says go trigger... agree?

Necrovex

I already own all the FF games I want.

Should I get Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger? I'll be playing on Vita.

I owned one of them on PS1 but I don't remember which. It was ages ago.

edit: Some informal internet research says go trigger... agree?

Play Trigger on a DS or SNES if at all possible. The load times are awful on the PS1.

I also adore Chrono Cross, but you should hold off from it until playing Trigger.

It's $9.. and a better smarter purchase than any two games together on that list except for Chrono Trigger.

It's $9.99. This man might be on a strict budget here. That 99 cent could be a dealbreaker. ;-)

SkyOdin

Dreadful writing? There are literally very few fighting games with a better story. Unless you are comparing the story of a fighting game to an RPG?

Considering that Dissidia might have more lines of text and a longer playtime than most of NES and SNES era Final Fantasy games, I don't think making comparisons to RPG stories is exactly unfair. Dissidia loves its story cutscenes, which can be a problem when the writing is mostly garbage that fails to really convey what made most of the cast interesting in their original games. It has some gems and great moments, but most of it is pretty bland and weighed down by the same nonsense that make the Kingdom Hearts story way more convoluted and obtuse than it needed to be. I mean, the writer for Dissidia is the guy who wrote the stories for the Kingdom Hearts games and was the Lead Scenario Writer for the entire Final Fantasy XIII series, and you can see the similarities in his style: overly complex scenarios that often fail to focus on the fundamentals of making the characters developed and interesting.

Just picked up the tactics remake. ill be downloading it once i get home. cant wait to finally try it. and even tho xenogears is $10 im still thinking about getting it!

Tactics isn't a remake, it's a PS1 port with stretched graphics, added cutscenes, and horrible horrible debilitating slowdown.

I can full heartedly recommend the PS1 version over the PSP version, even if you're going to play it on a PSP or Vita.

(Edit) To be clear, if you actually own a custom firmware PSP, you can use a patch to fix these issues (which makes you wonder why Square couldn't have handled it themselves...)

hwy_61

Banned
So, because it was mentioned early in this thread, I went ahead and downloaded Chrono Trigger on my vita(I already owned it) to try it with the fast loading setting. It's still hot shit, I don't know what you crazy people are talking about.

garath

So, because it was mentioned early in this thread, I went ahead and downloaded Chrono Trigger on my vita(I already owned it) to try it with the fast loading setting. It's still hot shit, I don't know what you crazy people are talking about.

I watched a youtube video on it..

PS3 loading = 7 seconds
PSVita loading = 5.5 seconds
PSVita fast loading = 4.5 seconds

Does seem pretty poor no matter what you do.

So I take it the consensus in this thread is that Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is a must-buy for anyone who deems it one of their favorite games of all-time?

I've never played this version of FFIV and I've been so tempted to get it ever since it was released but held off due to the price. Does it run well on the Vita?

Tactics isn't a remake, it's a PS1 port with stretched graphics, added cutscenes, and horrible horrible debilitating slowdown.

I can full heartedly recommend the PS1 version over the PSP version, even if you're going to play it on a PSP or Vita.

(Edit) To be clear, if you actually own a custom firmware PSP, you can use a patch to fix these issues (which makes you wonder why Square couldn't have handled it themselves...)

It's completely a remake, no matter what your "ew yucky" feelings may be on it.

Ri'Orius

I'm still confused: is FFIV The Complete Collection easier than the original (US) SNES version? Or did it just seem like it to that one guy because the intro is easy regardless?

So I take it the consensus in this thread is that Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is a must-buy for anyone who deems it one of their favorite games of all-time?

I've never played this version of FFIV and I've been so tempted to get it ever since it was released but held off due to the price. Does it run well on the Vita?

Yes, it runs great on vita. It was one of the first games I bought for it when I got a launch Vita... and yes, it is by far the best version of FFIV (sorry DS version, you're good but not that good).

It's completely a remake, no matter what your "ew yucky" feelings may be on it.

No, no it's not. It is literally just a stretched out port. This isn't about 'yucky feelings' or anything else, it uses 100% the same sprites, same 3D models, same effects but they are stretched out of their proper aspect ratio to fit the PSP screen, and it suffers from severe slow down when casting spells.

Please refrain from speaking down to someone if you have no idea what you're talking about.

It blows my mind that I have all of these on a handheld. Wouldn't have thought that possible when I was playing FF7 fifteen years ago. I'm hoping 12 HD Vita happens since X HD was a success.

rEUi6lbl.jpg

OG Loc

I'm really enjoying Front Mission 3 but holy shit is the protagonist irritating. I just find him completely unlikable so far. Please tell me he becomes less insufferable.

No, no it's not. It is literally just a stretched out port. This isn't about 'yucky feelings' or anything else, it uses 100% the same sprites, same 3D models, same effects but they are stretched out of their proper aspect ratio to fit the PSP screen, and it suffers from severe slow down when casting spells.

Please refrain from speaking down to someone if you have no idea what you're talking about.

New translation, new characters/classes/abilities, new cutscenes made from scratch, new missions. Calling it a port just shows how little you know what a port actually is.

Considering that Dissidia might have more lines of text and a longer playtime than most of NES and SNES era Final Fantasy games, I don't think making comparisons to RPG stories is exactly unfair. Dissidia loves its story cutscenes, which can be a problem when the writing is mostly garbage that fails to really convey what made most of the cast interesting in their original games. It has some gems and great moments, but most of it is pretty bland and weighed down by the same nonsense that make the Kingdom Hearts story way more convoluted and obtuse than it needed to be. I mean, the writer for Dissidia is the guy who wrote the stories for the Kingdom Hearts games and was the Lead Scenario Writer for the entire Final Fantasy XIII series, and you can see the similarities in his style: overly complex scenarios that often fail to focus on the fundamentals of making the characters developed and interesting.

IT is a fighting game. It is not an RPG, the purpose of the game was to find a somewhat logical way to bring all your favorite characters into a game. The characterization was on par with other fighting games, the point of it wasn't to make it on par with their RPG counter parts but introduce bring their essence into the game and they did a great job with that. If you want characterization play the proper genre, don't go play a fighting game and expecting characterization and story to be on par with an RPG.

Essentially, you are complaining that you went to a sushi joint, order a steak and the steak isn't as great an in a steak house.

Top Bottom