• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teasing new PS4 title - Project Code Z [It's Minna de Spelunker Z, F2P]

FFX & FFVII are coming to Western markets & they're not coming to Xbone, & Square specifically said that eventually all Final Fantasy titles will be playable on PS4 (Xbone wasn't even mentioned).
Again, they're not putting small projects there. Porting FFX and FFVII to PS4 is just putting them on the PSN since they are already PS games.

All of their big stuff (and even Type-0) are still going to the Xbox.

Biker19

Banned
I'm beginning to wonder if the XBO version will even sell that much in the US. I guess Type-0 might give us an indication of the sales distribution between the two platforms.

Again, they're not putting small projects there. Porting FFX and FFVII to PS4 is just putting them on the PSN since they are already PS games.

I can possibly see Square cancelling KH III &/or FF XV for Xbox One & make them fully PS4 exclusive if the sales for the Xbox One version of Type-0 aren't quite up to snuff.

Quazar

I can possibly see Square cancelling KH III &/or FF XV for Xbox One & make them fully PS4 exclusive if the sales for the Xbox One version of Type-0 aren't quite up to snuff.

i hope square isn't really looking for big numbers on type0 lol let alone setting the bar for future releases on platforms. Crazy talk.

Huh? You know this is Square Enix you're talking about right? The kings of overhyping mobile/browser games. The guys that took up stage time at PSX announcing a straight port of a PS1 game. Going through a lot of trouble to hype small games is totally their thing at this point.

No no, it was a port of the PC port of a PS1 game.

We are getting the better looking PC port. Be amazed at the high definition graphix

KH III Maybe

i doubt they would just cancel FF XV since you know they've been working on it for forever

Elfstruck

One can say that the reason SE is releasing type-0 on xbox1 is to test the water. If it sells badly, then SE will not hesitate to cancel KH and XV on x1.

One can say that the reason SE is releasing type-0 on xbox1 is to test the water. If it sells badly, then SE will not hesitant to cancel KH and XV on x1.
We'll see won't we? I'm pretty sure they already tested the waters enough with FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and LR. And now the Xbone is selling worse than the PS4... I doubt there's much testing here.

Final Fantasy Code Zero aka port of type-0 to vita lol

I expect nothing :I
Don't worry, the Vita is getting Dissidia Zerodus, which is a prequel to Duodecim and has twice the cast.

Alo0oy

Banned
I can believe that for Japan. For US and Europe, that is simply not true.

Worldwide it is, in japan it was more like 99%, US & UK it was ~70%, & while we don't have numbers for Europe & RotW, it's safe to say that the ratio was significantly higher than the US & UK, combined it's pretty close to ~90%.

I'd hardly call FFX a "small project" since it was one of Square's best selling titles last year (& sold better than XIII-3).

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't think XV will be cancelled on Xbone since it's pretty far into development at this point, but its safe to say SE would be looking at its sales on Xbone pretty closely to determine if XVI makes it there or not.

Selling better doesn't mean bigger project lol.

The only thing we've been discussing here is sales & how SE is viewing Xbone's viability in their JRPG projects.

jayu26

I don't think XV will be cancelled on Xbone since it's pretty far into development at this point, but its safe to say SE would be looking at its sales on Xbone pretty closely to determine if XVI makes it there or not.
Forget about Xbone it won't even make it to PS4...

The only thing we've been discussing here is sales & how SE is viewing Xbone's viability in their JRPG projects.
The only thing I'VE been discussing is SE not dropping the Xbox. I'm pretty sure FFXHD's sales passed their expectations.

If we follow your line of thought, then if they do a small game and put it on the PSN and that game sells 2 million units, then SE is no longer supporting the Xbox?

I'll repeat again. Their major projects are still going to the Xbox. Even after XIII's sales they still changed VersusXIII's platforms and talked about how they wanted to put XIV on the Xbox if MS allowed cross-play.

Hyunashi

XV wont be cancelled for Xbox. If it does sell more poorly than expected (because lets be honest, a significant portion of the sales will be on the PS4) I could see them dropping the XB1 KH3 version. This moreso if PS4 continues to outsell the XB1 significantly globally.

David___

Banned
. Even after XIII's sales they still changed VersusXIII's platforms and talked about how they wanted to put XIV on the Xbox if MS allowed cross-play.

The fact that they're actually on MS' ass about their policies should tell you they aren't afraid of losing the Xbone install base for FF. If they was a significant amount of sales to be had on the platform you'd bet they'd be quiet and just release it without cross play.

RexNovis

Banned
Personally, Id be hyped for that. Loved Frozen insanely and hope there is a Frozen world in KH3.

Ugh as someone who has to deal with Japan's batshit crazy obsession with this movie and "Let It Go" for what seems like an eternity I pray to God there isn't one. Fuck Frozen that shit is so played to death.

Alo0oy

Banned
The only thing I'VE been discussing is SE not dropping the Xbox. I'm pretty sure FFXHD's sales passed their expectations.

If we follow your line of thought, then if they do a small game and put it on the PSN and that game sells 2 million units, then SE is no longer supporting the Xbox?

I'll repeat again. Their major projects are still going to the Xbox. Even after XIII's sales they still changed VersusXIII's platforms and talked about how they wanted to put XIV on the Xbox if MS allowed cross-play.

Again, support for Xbox is entirely reliant on sales, & both FFXV & KH3 were announced before a single unit of PS4 & Xbone were sold, future announcements are entirely based on speculation, & we're speculating that SE is slowly dropping support for Xbone based on sales, & from the japanese side of SE, every project they've announced has been PS family exclusive except for Type-0, which was announced before Xbone's launch in japan anyway.

SE got burned hard with XIII's marketing deal with MS, I doubt they'd want a repeat of that, smaller japanese devs already stopped Xbox support mid way last gen.

This thread is way too long. The disappointment will be glorious.
Half the comments are stating that they're ready for disappointment. After that PSX fiasco, I have no faith until I see concrete evidence in SE. The higher ups are delusional and not in sync at all with the fanbase.

Seriously, what kind of a showing was that? He should have stayed home ffs.

Again, support for Xbox is entirely reliant on sales, & both FFXV & KH3 were announced before a single unit of PS4 & Xbone were sold, future announcements are entirely based on speculation, & we're speculating that SE is slowly dropping support for Xbone based on sales, & from the japanese side of SE, every project they've announced has been PS family exclusive except for Type-0, which was announced before Xbone's launch in japan anyway.

SE got burned hard with XIII's marketing deal with MS, I doubt they'd want a repeat of that, smaller japanese devs already stopped Xbox support mid way last gen.

What "projects" have been announced since FFXV and KH3? Ports, and this (which we don't even know what it is, and I doubt this is anything big).

I'm pretty sure they were aware of Xbone's sales when they announced Type-0 for it. They don't expect Xbox sales in Japan when they put games on it.

Squire

Banned
Prediction

Its a shitty free 2 play game.

OR

Its actually something worth a damn but will never see a release outside of Japan

They'd be better served to put it on PS3, of they're not localizing it. If it's something worth keeping an eye on, it'll be localized; I honestly think the two are mutually exclusive in this instance.

What even is there (within reason) that doesn't get localized these days?

prwxv3

I doubt they will cancel but judging by the Amazon bestsellers rankings right now the gap in sales seems ridiculous.

KHIII PS4: 12
KHIII XB1: 99

It makes sense. Most of the people that buy KH probably already have a PS4 already. Same thing for FF15. The bloodbath is going to be incredible once they do release.

prwxv3

If KH1.5/2.5 gets a PS4 release while skipping xbone I think that will be the final nail in the coffin for SE support of xbone (excluding KH3, FF15, and western focused games)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
KH is going to sell on PS more than MS by default...that's just a fact. KH is just automatically recognized as a PS oriented brand. Its not even recognized as a Nintendo brand really...same with FF even though it started its life on there

prwxv3

A better example is Type-0 since it's closer to release:

PS4: 116
XB1: 1,492

Holy shit its going to be a fucking bloodbath. There have to be people within the company having doubts about the xbone versions of FF15 and KHIII. I still dont think they will be canceled or anything though.

Biker19

Banned
If KH1.5/2.5 gets a PS4 release while skipping xbone I think that will be the final nail in the coffin for SE support of xbone (excluding KH3, FF15, and western focused games)

I think that alone will speak volumes of future support for Xbox One itself from Square if that happens.

wmlk

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the attach rate for Kingdom Hearts III on XBONE is higher than FFXV on XBONE. That Square and Disney pedigree.

Are you kidding? So essentially any game that has a huge focus in terms of sales in Japan is likely never coming to X1 this gen other than KH3 and FFXV then (and FFXVI)?!

What are you talking about? Where did you even get that?

Let's not talk about "huge focus in terms of sales" yet for titles 2 years and 4 years away, respectively.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Are you kidding? So essentially any game that has a huge focus in terms of sales in Japan is likely never coming to X1 this gen other than KH3 and FFXV then (and FFXVI)?!

Was just giving an example of a game closer to release since someone posted KH3 above which was only in the top 100 recently due to the price error/matching.

Alo0oy

Banned
What "projects" have been announced since FFXV and KH3? Ports, and this (which we don't even know what it is, and I doubt this is anything big).

I'm pretty sure they were aware of Xbone's sales when they announced Type-0 for it. They don't expect Xbox sales in Japan when they put games on it.

They didn't expect Xbone to sell well in Japan, but they expected it to do better in the west, if you read any interview with SE since shortly after the PS4/Xbone launched regarding FFXV & KH3, you would have thought that those games were PS4 exclusive, they have no faith in those games selling well on Xbone, otherwise SE would port every FF game to Xbone like they're doing for PS4.

Anyway, that's just speculation based on the fact that SE japan hasn't even acknowledged the existence of Xbone in a long time, so we'll see.

They didn't expect Xbone to sell well in Japan, but they expected it to do better in the west, if you read any interview with SE since shortly after the PS4/Xbone launched regarding FFXV & KH3, you would have thought that those games were PS4 exclusive, they have no faith in those games selling well on Xbone, otherwise SE would port every FF game to Xbone like they're doing for PS4.

Anyway, that's just speculation based on the fact that SE japan hasn't even acknowledged the existence of Xbone in a long time, so we'll see.

What does that even mean? I'm talking about them putting their games on Xbox. And I'm pretty sure the only thing they did PS4 only is the Japan-exclusive version of the Type-0 console (here in the west we have both), and, well, that is Japan-exclusive.

Zexen

That "Z" font looks like this one.
117467-orochi.jpg

Probably nothing more than a coincidence tho'.

Top Bottom