• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teasing new PS4 title - Project Code Z [It's Minna de Spelunker Z, F2P]

No, Square just realized that their games only sell well on Playstation, even last gen Final Fantasy XIII bombed on 360 compared to PS3, ~90% XIII's sales were on PS3.

Or that is just a game they don't plan on localizing.

I'm pretty sure the stuff that is coming to PS/Xbox is because SE plans to localize it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I'm pretty sure the stuff that is coming to PS/Xbox is because SE plans to localize it.

The website is in perfect english, and you expect them to not announce a localization?

Considering the console market, anything that has a console release is likely to see a western release

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are you saying you've never seen an english message on a japanese website?

Or are you taking one english sentence from a teaser website as confirmation for a localization?

I'm taking the fact that its a console game by SE in 2015 as evidence for it being localized.

I thought Gaf knew better than to make this thread 17 pages long .

hashimoto-troll.png

Bravely Default for Ps4.

After the success on the 3ds they realized that there is still a big demand for these type of games....

Or

Star Ocean Z.
SE doing their own Xenoblade Games with Mechs

Or

New Ip from that new RPG Studio.

Dynasty8

Say what you will about Square Enix games otherwise, but LOL @ you shitting on their music. Their VG OSTs are still top of the industry level stuff. You may hate FFXIII as a game all you like, but its OST is unarguably awesome (if you don't like it, the problem is with your own taste in music, not the quality of the music).

Also lol @ Squaresoft games ever being all that challenging. Secret of Mana is, like, the most easily breakable game EVER and fan favorites like Chrono Trigger & most Final Fantasies are piss easy for anyone who is over 7 years old. Squaresoft has always made JRPGs for the masses (mostly), that includes making games that anyone can get through with minimal effort (though with some singular story bosses with difficulty spikes and some more challenging side content). That's partly why they became the JRPG mammoth that they were. While Atlus pushed out hard-to-get-into & actually challenging games, Squaresoft was more interested in creating fantastical worlds & easy to get into games that appealed or at least had the potential to appeal to more gamers than something like the Shin Megami Tensei games. There are a few exceptions, but something like Kingdom Hearts can nowadays be far more challenging (on harder difficulty levels) than any action RPG Squaresoft ever made. And FFXIII's problem isn't that it doesn't provide any challenge ever (it's probably one of the easiest Final Fantasies to die in if you take risks and aren't just hiding behind defensive Paradigms)

Regarding the music, it's my opinion... But I'm sure the majority of people here would agree that after Uematsu and other key figures left SE, the music hasn't been the same. The music in the newer SE games feel forgettable compared to games like FF6-10, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and much more. Those OST's are still masterpieces.

There are some exceptions like Bravely Default. FFXIII did have decent music as well, but every sequel that came after it, the music just kept going downhill for me. XIII-2 and Lightning Returns was not my cup of tea.

And for the challenges... the SNES and PS1 days offered way more of a challenge than newer SE games do. I'm not comparing this to games like Dark Souls or SMT games...those games are known specifically to be difficult (which is a really good thing IMO). However, games like Secret of Mana, Front Mission 3 and 4, Vagrant Story, KH1 and 2 (harder difficulty) and most of the FF games did pose more of a challenge than most of the new games today.

I'm also comparing JRPGs from different developers of the past as well compared to the games that come out today...not just Square Enix. Games like Breath of Fire 1-4, Lunar, and even the FF games didn't hold your hand throughout the whole game and tell you where to go on a marked mini map. Some of the best times I had with these classics were when I would get stuck at a certain point and I had to figure out where to go next in order to progress...it had me more immersed into the world of the game. Even if we both disagree about some of the classics being slightly challenging, I'm sure we can both agree that games today hold your hand way too much compared to back then.

Alo0oy

Banned

Right, then why weren't FFX HD & KH HD released on X360 (& X on Xbone)? it wasn't Square only either, X360 supported died slowly from japanese devs as the gen went on, japanese games just didn't sell well to the Xbox audience.

Oublieux

Say what you will about Square Enix games otherwise, but LOL @ you shitting on their music. Their VG OSTs are still top of the industry level stuff. You may hate FFXIII as a game all you like, but its OST is unarguably awesome (if you don't like it, the problem is with your own taste in music, not the quality of the music).

This is condescending. Not a great way to argue a point.

sora87

Bravely Default for Ps4.

After the success on the 3ds they realized that there is still a big demand for these type of games....

Or

Star Ocean Z.
SE doing their own Xenoblade Games with Mechs

Or

New Ip from that new RPG Studio.

Ooft, yes please.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Not sure why that would be a factor. The PS4 is holding its own worldwide, unlike the PS3 which struggled early on. If SE was worried they'd be putting FFX HD and FFVII on XB1 too, but they're not.

Right, then why weren't FFX HD & KH HD released on X360 (& X on Xbone)? it wasn't Square only either, X360 supported died slowly from japanese devs as the gen went on, japanese games just didn't sell well to the Xbox audience.
Not sure why that would be a factor. The PS4 is holding its own worldwide, unlike the PS3 which struggled early on. If SE was worried they'd be putting FFX HD and FFVII on XB1 too, but they're not.

I said when SE puts their games on PS AND Xbox is because they intend to localize it. The other way around is not necessarily true.

I said that because I disagree with the notion that SE is now dumping the Xbox. FFXV and KH3 both are still coming to both consoles, so the fact this title is exclusive is not because "SE realized they don't sell on Xbox". Pointing the lack of localization is just one among many possibilities.

really hope this isnt a port of a fucking cell phone game
I'd take a Rise of Mana on the PS4...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I said when SE puts their games on PS AND Xbox is because they intend to localize it. The other way around is not necessarily true.

I said that because I disagree with the notion that SE is now dumping the Xbox. FFXV and KH3 both are still coming to both consoles, so the fact this title is exclusive is not because "SE realized they don't sell on Xbox". Pointing the lack of localization is just one among many possibilities.

I'd take a Rise of Mana on the PS4...

SE hasn't announced any JP stuff for Xbox since Type-0 HD. I wonder why that is.

Alo0oy

Banned

Both of those were announced before PS4 & Xbone launched, publishers at the time assumed consumers would buy Xbone for Kinect
lol
, AND those are Square's flagship titles, they'd take the 300k-500k sales from Xbone on those titles, any other title would be a waste of resources that could be dedicated to more PS4 titles that could actually sell.

Besides, all of Square's recent moves have been concentrated on moving the JRPG audience from PS3 to PS4 (DQH, FFX, FFVII, FF Type-0, & probably a few more announcements in the future).

Dargor

SE hasn't announced any JP stuff for Xbox since Type-0 HD. I wonder why that is.

Besides, PS4 is not doing that well in Japan either. Launching this game exclusively for PS4, only in Japan, doesn't sound like the best route to take at this point.

Unless this is a small game where selling 200k or 300k is enough to make a profit. But I don't think this is the case, since going through all this trouble to hype a small game sounds like a sure way to waste money.

Besides, PS4 is not doing that well in Japan either. Launching this game exclusively for PS4, only in Japan, doesn't sound like the best route to take at this point.

Unless this is a small game where selling 200k or 300k is enough to make a profit. But I don't think this is the case, since going through all this trouble to hype a small game sounds like a sure way to waste money.

This doesn't seem like a lot of trouble for hyping any game, really.

Hexa

Huh? You know this is Square Enix you're talking about right? The kings of overhyping mobile/browser games. The guys that took up stage time at PSX announcing a straight port of a PS1 game. Going through a lot of trouble to hype small games is totally their thing at this point.

But they DID announce Type-0. At that point they already knew how good their Xbox sales would be. They even have a special Xbox here in the west for that game... (And it's not like they announced much besides ports for the PS4 after that).

Besides, all of Square's recent moves have been concentrated on moving the JRPG audience from PS3 to PS4 (DQH, FFX, FFVII, FF Type-0, & probably a few more announcements in the future).
That is mostly Japan though. They want their audience to move on to next gen, and Xbone is not a very viable option over there... And DQH is also on PS3.

Dargor

This doesn't seem like a lot of trouble for hyping any game, really.

The game is going to be revealed in some sort of expo this weekend, if I'm not mistaken. Having to prepare a presentation for it and even having an annoucement like this one is way more than an small game needs.

Is it wasn't something "big", they would just have done something like the arcade game they just announced. Just have some magazine or site blow the whistle.

The game is going to be revealed in some sort of expo this weekend, if I'm not mistaken. Having to prepare a presentation for it and even having an annoucement like this one is way more than an small game needs.

Is it wasn't something "big", they would just have done something like the arcade game they just announced. Just have some magazine or site blow the whistle.

I think you misjudge SE.

Dargor

Huh? You know this is Square Enix you're talking about right? The kings of overhyping mobile/browser games. The guys that took up stage time at PSX announcing a straight port of a PS1 game. Going through a lot of trouble to hype small games is totally their thing at this point.

Straight port or not, that was still Final Fantasy 7 my friend, just having that name on stage is a big event in and of itself.

Alo0oy

Banned

It's all relative, PS4 is over 1 million units in Japan with no japanese software, it should be at 2.5m - 3m once FFXV launches, by comparison, Xbone would be lucky to sell what PS4 sold this week in all of 2015.

That is mostly Japan though. They want their audience to move on to next gen, and Xbone is not a very viable option over there... And DQH is also on PS3.

FFX & FFVII are coming to Western markets & they're not coming to Xbone, & Square specifically said that eventually all Final Fantasy titles will be playable on PS4 (Xbone wasn't even mentioned).

Respawn

Banned
After that FFVII troll at the Playstation even Square will never get my hopes up again. I'll just wait for the reveal as calm as a lonely chocobo feather.

Nutter

No, Square just realized that their games only sell well on Playstation, even last gen Final Fantasy XIII bombed on 360 compared to PS3, ~90% XIII's sales were on PS3.

I can believe that for Japan. For US and Europe, that is simply not true.

Top Bottom