• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teasing new PS4 title - Project Code Z [It's Minna de Spelunker Z, F2P]

Hollycat

I'd say something about how terrible SE is for doing this, but at this point they've made so many disappointing countdowns I can't work up the effort to get upset.

Edit: Yes I understand some will be excited for this game, but don't you think countdowns should be reserved for big titles? SE uses them for everything from announcing mobile games no one wanted to telling us when to expect their next bowel movement.

Edit: Yes I understand some will be excited for this game, but don't you think countdowns should be reserved for big titles? SE uses them for everything from announcing mobile games no one wanted to telling us when to expect their next bowel movement.

Their countdown websites have been used for nothing more than small projects or ports. They literally never announced something bigger than this via countdowns on websites...

wmlk

I don't remember a countdown for FFXIII-2, LR, FFXHD, Type-0 HD, DQ Heroes, FFXV, KH HD 1.5, KH HD 2.5, KH3.

They only do this for smaller games. Knowing this, there's no room for disappointment.

Bluenoser

Luckily I forgot all about this, and hype was deflated before I caught up with the news. Nothing SE does surprises me. It's like their executives collectively agree to never ever give their fans what they want. They will go bankrupt before they give in to social pressure!!

OldfashionedQuaintBarasingha.gif

HeelPower

Namikaze

I'm pretty excited about this. I played the PS3 iteration of this game and enjoyed it but I don't play my PS3 regularly anymore. It also helps to have no expectations going in, at least this whole countdown wasn't a complete fail and the game looks fun.

Hex

Banned
This is one of those games that if it was announced for a certain system, people would think it was great but since it was PS4 people expected the moon and want more.

It's funny how some people blame SE for "disappointing" them. All they did was put out a simple teaser. You guys hyped yourselves up. There's no one else to blame. :p

Jakten

This is the best game news I've heard in a long time. This seriously looks so incredible. I doubt it will come out in NA tho, I still can't believe they released Spelunker HD here.

Reveirg

I don't remember a countdown for FFXIII-2, LR, FFXHD, Type-0 HD, DQ Heroes, FFXV, KH HD 1.5, KH HD 2.5, KH3.

They only do this for smaller games. Knowing this, there's no room for disappointment.

The fact that they tease stuff like this a week in advance, but something big like Type-0 HD gets announced with a random press release, during E3 (but not AT E3 and with no mention of it on their Square-Enix Presents or any keynotes) is a real brain scratcher.

Square-Enix works in mysterious ways.

Jakten

The fact that they tease stuff like this a week in advance, but something big like Type-0 HD gets announced with a random press release, during E3 (but not AT E3 and with no mention of it on their Square-Enix Presents or any keynotes) is a real brain scratcher.

Square-Enix works in mysterious ways.

It makes more sense for Japan because Spelunker still has a decent cult following. A couple years back I went to TGS, before Spelunker HD even came out, and they had a booth that was mostly Spelunker merchandise. Spelunker also had its own anime a couple years ago.

Manbig

A Squarenix teaser website? Let's see if I can decipher this one.

Let's see... Z... Zero?

As in, we will have zero interest in what this will eventually turn out to be!

Was I right? Based on some of the reactions I'm reading here, looks like I was.

Tapejara

This is the best game news I've heard in a long time. This seriously looks so incredible. I doubt it will come out in NA tho, I still can't believe they released Spelunker HD here.

I'd be surprised if we don't get it in NA. We got HD, the Virtual console release and Everyday Spelunker. Hell, we even got Spelunker Black - even if it was delisted from PSN.

JNA

Banned
You would think with the amount of times Square Enix keeps having announcements about these things, people would stopped getting over hyped or even caring anymore. I thought that FF7 port to PS4 annoucement would be the last straw, but I guess not. XD

Jeez all that for a F2P game. :p

It makes more sense for Japan because Spelunker still has a decent cult following. A couple years back I went to TGS, before Spelunker HD even came out, and they had a booth that was mostly Spelunker merchandise. Spelunker also had its own anime a couple years ago.

This is why I much prefer it when Japanese games get big in the west rather than the other way around - At least they stay Japanese. When it's the other way around it goes to Japan and never comes back. What was the last Wizardry game to come out outside of Japan anyway? I can't remember - And no, Steam rereleases of the first OG 8 do not count.

Artorias

Banned
It sucks that its F2P but Spelunker HD is a fantastic game. Play in original graphics mode, its much easier to keep track of everything in later worlds.

Takao

Banned
This is why I much prefer it when Japanese games get big in the west rather than the other way around - At least they stay Japanese. When it's the other way around it goes to Japan and never comes back. What was the last Wizardry game to come out outside of Japan anyway? I can't remember - And no, Steam rereleases of the first OG 8 do not count.

xseed put out an acquire developed wizardy game for ps3 a few years ago

Now what I find amazing is how during the reveal, whatshisface said "There is no game like Spelunker!" in the face of the fact that Spelunky has been out for years now and garnered infinitely more popularity than Spelunker did.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

There has not been another true Wizardry title in a while now. The last one was the PS3 games by Acquire. And as others mentioned the last one to come out was the Xseed published game.

Starfish has not made any more Wizardry titles in a while.

Though the Wiz-like games are still around.

I am close to giving up on Square at this point, they're just trolling us at every turn.

Only thing which keeps them in my good books is they backed Sleeping Dogs and the new Tomb Raider games.

All I'll say is they better not mess up Deus Ex. Human Revolutions was an excellent game and I liked the direction they went with. Keep your hands out of that and let Eidos work.

Top Bottom