• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teasing new PS4 title - Project Code Z [It's Minna de Spelunker Z, F2P]

Takao

Banned
- Notable games don;t always get revealed at gaming shows.
- People thought the art was a throwback to the PS1 days

I think we can safely say that if SE is teasing a game with a website its not going to be anything good.

It was safe to say that beforehand and I tried to warn you. Last time Square Enix put up a website teaser for a console game it was PS Vita launch "classic" Army Corps From Hell. I guess y'all had your PS4 blinders on again.

Weird I thought Spelunker was an Irem game? Did S-E buy their IPs like they did with Taito?

Nah, Tozai Games has apparently always owned the series.

Camjo-Z

wow

if this had been some random rpg i wouldn't have given a shit but spelunker hd is one of my favorite platformers ever

this is amazing

Muzicfreq

Banned
post-4263-I-expect-nothing-and-still-Im-OPyw.gif

pretty much..
Well... okay maybe a little let down. kinda hoped it was Star Ocean The Last Hope Remaster... OH WHO AM I KIDDING, How would Z work it's way in there?!

Meia

Man, I played the shit out of this on the NES way back when, and just jumped to the site/vid, and was questioning what I was seeing til some of the music cues. So happy. :D

Have you played Final Fantasy XIII all the way through? How about Star Ocean IV? Dawn of Mana? If so, then you should be very close to obtaining it.

Nope.

Xbox 360 kept locking up when I got to disc 2 of it. It was before I had a PS3 or International was out.

Dawn of Mana saddened me so I never even attempted it.

Red Mage

Nope.

Xbox 360 kept locking up when I got to disc 2 of it. It was before I had a PS3 or International was out.

Dawn of Mana saddened me so I never even attempted it.

Then you know what you must do. If you still haven't reached it after doing all of this, I've heard 3rd Birthday is almost guaranteed to work, but that way lies madness.

I think by this point, we should all just come in expecting nothing. Square-Enix has burned us enough that we should just take bets on who can come up with the most underwhelming announcement before the reveal and one of us is bound to be right.

Nameless

Damn, I was at least hoping for a mid-level action rpg that had a coin flip's chance of being remotely good. Will lower expectations further in the future.

#freesquaresoft

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Hey! Let me check out Gaf to see what that hyped up game ended up bein-"

*Sees thread title*

"Welp."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think people have to come face to face with the facts now...this is the modern SE. What all their mismanagement and fucks up have lead to.

Its a shame cause you can count all the dumbass decisions they themselves have made, and now we come to a point where these kinds of games are all they can usually release with any real frequency.

Because they made the calculation that consumers werent buying lightning anymore, and they fucked up 14(as that's all they ever released in the 7th gen), all their AA studios were going into the trash in favor of cellphone level F2P nonsense, with maybe a AAA release every decade or two, and an remaster/port every few years.

Kssio_Aug

Holly damn!! Minna de Spelunker Z?? They got me... I was expecting for a disappointment, and even like that they still surprised me.

Well, this was a disappointment, just like I knew it would be.

The trailer looked sort of fun, but I'm not touching F2P shit. If it hadn't been F2P, I might have given it a go.

Good thing I didn't care about what this game was because Square literally hates money. I don't know anymore. I'm just going to be done with them entirely. I feel like they do this stuff on purpose because in their twisted mind, this is exactly what the market is asking for. This game may be good but enough is enough. It's so sad that as bad as capcom may be, they aren't setting everyone up for disappointment as terrible as square is.

Tapejara

Do we know anything about the co-op mode? Is it similar to Spelunker HD (six players online/four players offline/co-op stages are separate from singleplayer)?

Camjo-Z

But it's F2P...

I'm hoping that stuff is mostly cosmetic, or just allows you to buy more levels like the Championship mode in Spelunker HD. I mean, considering Spelunker has some of the easiest deaths in all of gaming (especially for new players) I can't imagine they'll put the usual F2P energy/lives timer in there.

It was safe to say that beforehand and I tried to warn you. Last time Square Enix put up a website teaser for a console game it was PS Vita launch "classic" Army Corps From Hell. I guess y'all had your PS4 blinders on again.

Nah, Tozai Games has apparently always owned the series.

I think I've learn't my lesson. Curse my imagination.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This announcement actually reminds me of that Kojima MGS teaser a few years back where the website had a green power on logo that looked suspiciously like the 360 power on logo, but in the end it turned out to be an iPhone port of a MGS4 flash game. There were a lot of tears that day :p

I slept through the announcement =X

I am not reading 20-30 pages of reactions.

Anyway, at least it doesn't look like an online focused game, I can try that out... If it comes out here.

Top Bottom