• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix teasing new PS4 title - Project Code Z [It's Minna de Spelunker Z, F2P]

Scrawnton

Didn't I say earlier to never get excited about Square Enix teases? They will always disappoint.

For the record, if they would have just casually announced this with no tease it would've been cool. An indie style download game from square is cool. You guys just get too crazy with hyping the unknown.

post-4263-I-expect-nothing-and-still-Im-OPyw.gif

Jucksalbe

Banned
Incredible. That's some next level trolling.

I'm not exactly sure where those expectations came from. From what I can tell it's mostly people's own fault for expecting something that was never teased?

Anyway, the Spelunker games are pretty fun games, people should give them a try instead of moping that their newest grand RPG wasn't announced.

dramatis

I think it's more interesting to consider if this is the route JP developers/publishers want to when it comes to console games, to provide a F2P game with microtransactions, sort of like porting the mobile revenue model to the console. Capcom with their Dragon's Dogma Online, and now Square with this game, makes me wonder if this is going to be the "trend" for games to come.

Salex_

Hmm..what's the logic behind this?

Funded and publishing a 2d F2P JP game on PS4 and not releasing it on mobile...in Japan?

Finalow

I think it's more interesting to consider if this is the route JP developers/publishers want to when it comes to console games, to provide a F2P game with microtransactions, sort of like porting the mobile revenue model to the console. Capcom with their Dragon's Dogma Online, and now Square with this game, makes me wonder if this is going to be the "trend" for games to come.
I think that instead of "interesting" the more appropriate word here is "sad" or "disgusting", if that becomes a trend.

also this game looks so bad already. I'll replay the Spelunky that came out in 2013 instead, SE.

Wabba

This kinds of announcements are really strange for me, why not just show it of. It would get a lot of more positive reception instead they hype up the announcement and disappoint a lot of fans. Like the Final Fantasy 7 remake troll, so pointless.

I am gonna let you guys know. Waking up to this and going to the point where I last read and then getting to the breaking point where either someone is laughing, crying or cursing kind of made my morning.

That said, I am not even fucking surprised.

It's funny, that's exactly how I feel about Square too.

RPGCrazied

This kinds of announcements are really strange for me, why not just show it of. It would get a lot of more positive reception instead they hype up the announcement and disappoint a lot of fans. Like the Final Fantasy 7 remake troll, so pointless.

Well, this way, it'll get the most attention. Cause you will have all the people out there wanting another RPG from them, be it new, or some revival of a beloved ip of theirs, like Chrono Trigger.

Only way to do that is make an annoucement site, plan to stream coverage over it. If they just flat out said its going to be a F2P type game it wouldn't get as much as attention, at least I don't think so.

Fisty

Did this really warrant a codename, trade show reveal, and all-around secrecy? Its like SE is trying to piss people off

dramatis

I think that instead of "interesting" the more appropriate word here is "sad" or "disgusting", if that becomes a trend.

also this game looks so bad already. I'll replay the Spelunky that came out in 2013 instead, SE.
You can say "sad" or "disgusting", but I will persist in use of "interesting" because even I can understand that these companies are searching for a way to provide profitable games on consoles without needing to invest AAA budgets into everything they develop. The revenue models adapt to the audience. The companies will have to iterate to know how to better balance gameplay and fun with profit. You don't have to support it, but they are trying to learn how to deal with the market.

Perhaps from the consumer standpoint it can be seen as atrocious that what was once in a one-time fully-paid package is now parceled out in F2P microtransactions. However, I think the companies that will succeed in this arena are the ones who know where the thin line between too much and too little is. Without experimenting, they can't figure out where that line is.

Gamerloid

Idk why GAFfers keep hyping themselves for disappointment. I bet the same people will be hyped up when SE does another teaser, which is why they are free to continuously do this.

For me, nothing will top TWEWY's countdown teaser site. Lasted I forgot how many days, with each day the site becoming clearer and the song adding more sounds. Who the heck in their right minds go that far for a port to iOS?

Idk why GAFfers keep hyping themselves for disappointment. I bet the same people will be hyped up when SE does another teaser, which is why they are free to continuously do this.

For me, nothing will top TWEWY's countdown teaser site. Lasted I forgot how many days, with each day the site becoming clearer and the song adding more sounds. Who the heck in their right minds go that far for a port to iOS?

Yup, give it a month when another teaser goes up, the cycle never ends.

Nothing will ever top that TWEWY iOS announcement. FF7 for PS4 probably beats it for most people but, I still say that was the worst one.

Dargor

I'm not exactly sure where those expectations came from. From what I can tell it's mostly people's own fault for expecting something that was never teased?

Anyway, the Spelunker games are pretty fun games, people should give them a try instead of moping that their newest grand RPG wasn't announced.

3t9GGuw.gif

Nah, you can't stop this train.

Finalow

You can say "sad" or "disgusting", but I will persist in use of "interesting" because even I can understand that these companies are searching for a way to provide profitable games on consoles without needing to invest AAA budgets into everything they develop. The revenue models adapt to the audience. The companies will have to iterate to know how to better balance gameplay and fun with profit. You don't have to support it, but they are trying to learn how to deal with the market.

Perhaps from the consumer standpoint it can be seen as atrocious that what was once in a one-time fully-paid package is now parceled out in F2P microtransactions. However, I think the companies that will succeed in this arena are the ones who know where the thin line between too much and too little is. Without experimenting, they can't figure out where that line is.
they're trying to get profit with cheap and (in many if not all cases) bad games. is there even a decent/playable game that follows this model? I honestly don't care if they're trying to adapt, to deal with the dead japanese market filled with mobile kusoge or whatever. the results to me are the same, and they're not interesting in the least.
the companies that will succeed will make even more cheaper and "profitable" games, hardly the good games that (some) people want to play.

fade_

Picturing thousands of fans anger slowly rising with that spelunker music from the video playing in the background in front of their computers is satisfyingly hilarious.

JoeFenix

How the hell did I miss this? Spelunker is AMAZING, I'm so excited!

This better come out here soon!

Edit: Wait this is F2P? :( Will still have to give it a shot though, Spelunker is sooo good!

Top Bottom