• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: "There is a secret team working on an unannounced title"

chri5t

I don't understand the need to be so "secretive" about anything at SE.

-Nobody is going to steal your Final Fantasy XVXVIIXI-7 game ideas.

-It really doesn't matter if you tell us you are making Chrono Trigger 3 at the planning stages or the day right before launch. It's money in the bank.

Square Enix definitely needs to learn exactly when to announce a game.

I don't think announcing Versus so early in advance was a good call.

duckroll

Square Enix definitely needs to learn exactly when to announce a game.

I don't think announcing Versus so early in advance was a good call.

Sure, announcing FFXIII/Versus/Agito in 2006 was definitely a bad call. The games weren't actually in full development yet, there was nothing concrete, making the announcement so early with full CG trailers was a very bad idea.

But they're not announcing anything here. It's a fansite which has picked up on a single line of text in a longer interview with a developer about a current game that is coming out in 2 months, and now it is a thread on this forum.

Versus XIII aint coming out this year. That's all I've taken away from recent Nomura comments.

Its gonna be re-branded FF XV and come out on PS3, 360, Wii U and maybe even PC.

Wazzim

Banned
please continue looking forward to these announcements.
KuGsj.gif

Acrylic7

I don't care anymore, last good game they made was KH1. imo.

and I really wish that everyone would stop asking for a ff7 remake. Just Lock it in a vault. How the hell can you improve on a game that's that damn good? You cant except for graphics, and that was one of the amazing things about ff7 back in 1997. Or a better translation, but that's nit-picking in my book. That's not going to do shit, but put a little cash in their pockets. Does nothing but ruin an already perfect game.

When will people learn that HD CLOUD IS A NO NO/
need I post examples?
I wont post examples

It's also important to remember that FF Type-0 for whichever platforms it's coming to in the West (Vita? 3DS? HD consoles? Some combination thereof?) would likely get a bunch of additional content and possibly be considered a new title. I doubt that that's what Nomura's referring to, but yeah.

Icelight

would you actually want this

i don't
There's a lot of prequelish things they could do that wouldn't even have to touch on (and thus dilute, or otherwise trash) the main concepts of Nier.

And, hey, if it's bad I can just pretend it doesn't exist.

Famassu

So basically they are making a game. How exactly is this news? Isn't that kind of their whole business plan and everything?
It really isn't news. This isn't some huge announcement from Square Enix, just a tidbit in a much bigger Tetsuya Nomura interview focusing on KH3D. I'd expect this to be of the scope of Dissidia and The World Ends With You. So a decent sized project (perhaps produced by Nomura), but nothing compared to their bigger projects like Versus. It's just Nomura confirming that they have more going on behind the scenes after they get Theatrhythm & KH3D out, so... yeah, non-news, pretty much, it's not a big deal.

Birth By Sleep is vastly superior to KH1, so even within the KH series they've made better games, not to even mention stuff like The World Ends With You.

and I really wish that everyone would stop asking for a ff7 remake. Just Lock it in a vault. How the hell can you improve on a game that's that damn good? You cant except for graphics, and that was one of the amazing things about ff7 back in 1997. Or a better translation, but that's nit-picking in my book. That's not going to do shit, but put a little cash in their pockets. Does nothing but ruin an already perfect game.

When will people learn that HD CLOUD IS A NO NO/
need I post examples?
I wont post examples

Crisis Core and Advent Children have already poisoned the well. If an FFVII remake means more Genesis, they can fuck right off with that one. Then again, I'm sure someone out there is dying for a "Loveless" setpiece acted out by the VII cast.

Japan is getting one in two months.

Are you referring to Dream Drop Distance? I forgot about that one. I still think it may be KH3. I remember it was stated that they couldn't begin work on KH3 until VS. was complete, and they had been shifting resources around to complete work on FFXIII/-2. Now that a secret team has been announced, it seems reasonable to suggest that KH3 may indeed be in production

Are you referring to Dream Drop Distance? I forgot about that one. I still think it may be KH3. I remember it was stated that they couldn't begin work on KH3 until VS. was complete, and they had been shifting resources around to complete work on FFXIII/-2. Now that a secret team has been announced, it seems reasonable to suggest that KH3 may indeed be in production

No it doesn't, unless you honestly think KH3's going to get handed to a team that has never worked on a KH game before.

KH3D, like BBS before it, might as well be a numbered KH sequel. So, you know, whatever.

And no-one is getting KH3 for a long time yet.

KingJ2002

Another announcement of an announcement.

what happened to the element of surprise?

whatever this "secret game" is... i just hope it's a great title for RPG fans.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
KH3D, like BBS before it, might as well be a numbered KH sequel. So, you know, whatever.

And no-one is getting KH3 for a long time yet.

I don't think there will ever be a numbered KH game again. Unless you count something ridiculous like the numbers in 358/2.

No it doesn't, unless you honestly think KH3's going to get handed to a team that has never worked on a KH game before.

To be fair, they've had a history of shifting and allocating resources this generation. Entering production doesn't have to mean anything beyond the preliminary stages of possibly scenario design and art asset creation, we don't know how far along anything at SE is, so I wouldn't rule it out, especially as it's been rather odd that we haven't seen so much as a murmur pertaining to a console KH. If you're right however, what are the chances we will be getting a console KH at all given this generation is all but over?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Final Fantasy 7 remake. WiiU exclusive.

I want meltdowns.

Square and Ninty CEOs get on stage and discuss how back in the day Final Fantasy 7 was originally an N64 title and that now the series can return home to its true roots. Shortly after a nuke explodes in California.

Famassu

Another announcement of an announcement.

what happened to the element of surprise?

whatever this "secret game" is... i just hope it's a great title for RPG fans.
Don't make this into something bigger than it really is. It's basically just a small side remark in an interview of Nomura that has nothing to do with announcing new games where he confirms that, yeah, they've got more in the works than the couple of games they are about to release within the next two months + Versus. The interviewer asked about the future and Nomura answered that they've got something coming up, hardly SHOCKING NEWS.

I don't think there will ever be a numbered KH game again. Unless you count something ridiculous like the numbers in 358/2.
We already know that Kingdom Hearts 3D is THE build-up for Kingdom Hearts III. The next game that takes place after 3D will be Kingdom Hearts III and it will be the end of the Xehanort "trilogy" where Xehanort is beaten once & for all. If there's going to be any other Kingdom Hearts games, it might be Birth By Sleep Vol. 2 which takes place in the past, or concurrently with KHI-II or something. But there will be an epic finale and that will be called Kingdom Hearts III.

I think sooner or later, KH will return to consoles, and then Square will decide to bring back the numbering. Square aren't going to resist the guaranteed moneybomb that releasing a game called KH3 would set off. Whether that'll happen sooner or later... hard to say.

Top Bottom