• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix unveils Final Fantasy VII DLC items that are obtainable by buying...... Butterfingers, Crunch, and Baby Ruth candy bars

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you get them through playing though?
I mean this ain't some damn MMO where they'll nickle and dime to cash in at every chance, if someone buys the full game it should contain everything.
They do this with FF14, minions, mounts, expansions, earrings, necklaces, hairstyles, etc etc, I don't mind it but I do mind the fucking fact that if you miss out you can never get certain items again.
Rather not see FF7 take the same route as I'm hating SE for FF14's micro transaction management.
We don't know for sure but so far all signs point to this being additional cosmetics that are DLC only and are not found in the game itself. Given that there is an "approximate retail value" it might be an indication that these will be sold for $2 each on the PlayStation Store at or shortly after launch.

Shin

Banned
Given that there is an "approximate retail value" it might be an indication that these will be sold for $2 each on the PlayStation Store at or shortly after launch.

Good point, some might hate that since the game is already split into 3 pieces/sets/expansions/whatever plus all these extra costs (CE not counting).
At least it would give you a chance to obtain them, IDK gotta put my foot down for this particular game, money needs to be made or not certain things one should never do.
But because it's FF7 people will eat it up, so SE is being business smart and maximizing profit, unfortunate as it may be.

Ar¢tos

I'm waiting for the Marlboro partnership, using the Malboro image on the tobacco packaging and each package comes with a code for points to buy the Malboro summon in the game!
The more you smoke, the faster you will have it kids!

sublimit

Banned
Oh man... i'm afraid this is only the beginning...
Please don't rape this game with your shitty dlc and microtransaction bullshit SE.

Pejo

Gold Member
Good point, some might hate that since the game is already split into 3 pieces/sets/expansions/whatever plus all these extra costs (CE not counting).
At least it would give you a chance to obtain them, IDK gotta put my foot down for this particular game, money needs to be made or not certain things one should never do.
But because it's FF7 people will eat it up, so SE is being business smart and maximizing profit, unfortunate as it may be.
hqdefault.jpg

Sean*O

After nearly $400 for the 1st class edition, SE can eat my ass if they think I'm paying another dime for more DLC.

Last edited:
Oh man... i'm afraid this is only the beginning...
Please don't rape this game with your shitty dlc and microtransaction bullshit SE.

The fact this game going to be remade and were only getting the Midgar section first should have been all people needed to know that this was going to be SE ultimate cash cow.

Theyve turned FF into COD.

These chocolate bars are to FF what Red Dots are to COD.

Impotaku

The reason they have put limits on how many dlc items there are available is to cause people to go "oh no i better buy them all soon before someone else buys the last one" cheap shitty marketing gimmick. Lol you'll have to try harder than that squeenix.

Pallas

18j44bnrnww0zjpg.jpg

I'm reminded of EA teaming up with Dr. Pepper a decade ago to provide DLC for various games.

I remember that, I think there was a certain heavy weapon and a couple of armor pieces/skins/or whatever, for Mass Effect 2. Haven’t played it in a while. I know Call of Duty is always running double XP and sometimes cosmetic stuff for their games with Mountain Dew and Doritos.

qVHjkal.jpg

Oijzddf.jpg

I actually miss these kinds of marketing strategies.

Could it be they're targeting the same demographic that bought the game 20+ years ago with the classic candy bars?

If I can't replace Barrett and his VO with a Sloth skin and "HAAAAAAAY YOUUUUUUU GUUUYYYS" then this cycle of a simulation was a complete waste.

bumpkin

I took the plunge and bought ten bars the other night; 8 Crunch and 2 Butterfingers. I couldn’t find Baby Ruths at the two stores I stopped at.

Has anyone gotten DLC codes yet? Nothing here so far.

LordKasual

Banned
I've gotten pre-release DLC for XIII-2, FFXIV and FFXV.

Never use any of it. And if it was useful, it would be an early-game advantage, and i have trouble with RPGs being too easy as it is.

hard pass

sowasred2012

Neo Member
I don't particularly mind that this is a thing - it's been a similar story for whichever game/movie/TV show I was excited for at any given point the whole time I was a kid. What I do mind is that it's not clear how/when/if anybody outside of the US will get access to any of the DLC - I'd spend a couple of quid on some chocolate bars for a nice theme, just give me the opportunity!

Pallas

Btw I don’t think it matters if you get the regular size or king size, just in case anyone was wondering. I got 6 the other night, just need 4 more.

Pantz

4 Crunch, 3 Butterfinger, 3 Baby Ruth receipt submitted. $1.19 each. I don't even like candy bars. Gave most of them away already to score brownie points. Feels like one of the stupidest things I've ever done.

I wonder how many dick pics will be submitted for review... 🤔

Not in this world. What do i unlock when i don't eat fuck*ng sugar and go to the gym?

If I were a parent in the US, i would be furious about Square Enix. Eating those things is not without risk on people's healf. You can't fight obesity and let this kind of practice happens. It's not fun, not safe to eat sugar.

I guess Rich from ReviewTechUSA is going to be so mad. I really hope i'll vocal and agressive about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom