• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's new plan: Eidos focus = online games; Japan accelerating work on phones

Elios83

Square Enix, Capcom and Konami have fallen so much that it's possible that they'll become easy acquistion targets by the end of this upcoming generation.
But don't give these goals stated on power point presentations for investors more importance than they have.
It's obvious that they have to say that they're going to capitalize on the success of the mobile and online businesses. For investors and analysts every game company which doesn't do that is run by fools. But that doesn't mean they won't make traditional games for consoles anymore. Also it wouldn't be a wise move because they would be at risk of losing the biggest talents within the company.
Basically....call me when they announce DQXI for iOS/Android instead of 3DS :p

Despera

Banned
  • We got XIV ARR exceeding expectations, helping prove the viability of subscription models, just this week.
  • We got a Drakengard 3 announcement and localization announcement.
  • We got encouragement about the possibility of XII HD. We got reassured that they will never give up top tier gaming.
  • We got hints that XV will have sequels. We got little bits of new KH3 gameplay.
  • We got the surprise that FFX HD is not just X but has a whole additional game with it, and that Eternal Calm and the other thing are coming over, and that they have a bonus 30 minute ending after X-2.
  • We got Bravely Default being localized, and it being the updated version.
  • We got Luminous engine news, and were told it should speed up development and make things easier.
  • We got news about the PS4 being substantially easier to work with.
  • We got news about Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider sequels progressing, despite their unrealistic sales estimates on the first games.
  • We got a KH 2.5 announcement, and confirmation about localization.
  • We got news about Thief getting adjustments removing experience points so old school fans might like it more.
  • We even got some heavy encouragement about the possibility of Type-0 and Agito in the west. And on and on and on and on. I could keep going.
  • And there are things to be optimistic about. XV and KH3 should be pretty amazing. If they sell well, they will make more. They want to.
There's some hope, I guess. But we'll see about that.

Asd202

Sequels will almost surely happen regardless though, because it's just too expensive to not reuse that base to make other games.

Well I would prefere FF to take GTA approach but sadly that is not they way they want to do things.

stop-stop.gif

I remember when Square stood for high quality art

Shinta

Banned
Well I would prefere FF to take GTA approach but sadly that is not they way they want to do things.

More of a Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout approach. Not as bad as Assassin's Creed.

GTA is kind of one of a kind. 2.5x the sales of any FF at their peak.

Asd202

More of a Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout approach. Not as bad as Assassin's Creed.

GTA is kind of one of a kind. 2.5x the sales of any FF at their peak.

Yeah sure, MGS is also kinda special. Hmm Elder Scrolls and Fallout are not really that sequel heavy unless you're counting the DLC. But then again the narrative in those game is different from typical JRPG so it works better for the story then sequels like XIII has gotten at least in my opinion :p.

Tomb Raider will get bought by someone to get rebooted for the umpteenth time.
Not so sure about any of the other IPs. Square's done a good job of devaluing them.

Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Thief , and Legacy of Kain have a lot of nostalgic value and built in fan bases. They will all get snatched up.

My concerns about the next gen Deus Ex are rising.

Hope they dont mess it up by tacking on online stuff. Sure, experiment, maybe they can do something cool with online but just dont turn it into a 4 player co op shooter.

• We got XIV ARR exceeding expectations, helping prove the viability of subscription models, just this week.
  • We got a Drakengard 3 announcement and localization announcement.
  • We got encouragement about the possibility of XII HD. We got reassured that they will never give up top tier gaming.
  • We got hints that XV will have sequels. We got little bits of new KH3 gameplay.
  • We got the surprise that FFX HD is not just X but has a whole additional game with it, and that Eternal Calm and the other thing are coming over, and that they have a bonus 30 minute ending after X-2.
  • We got Bravely Default being localized, and it being the updated version.
  • We got Luminous engine news, and were told it should speed up development and make things easier.
  • We got news about the PS4 being substantially easier to work with.
  • We got news about Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider sequels progressing, despite their unrealistic sales estimates on the first games.
  • We got a KH 2.5 announcement, and confirmation about localization.
  • We got news about Thief getting adjustments removing experience points so old school fans might like it more.
  • We even got some heavy encouragement about the possibility of Type-0 and Agito in the west. And on and on and on and on. I could keep going.

And there are things to be optimistic about. XV and KH3 should be pretty amazing. If they sell well, they will make more. They want to.

• Too soon to call victory on XIV, I'm enjoying the game but we know it as to pass the "decline" a lot of MMO suffers after a few months.
  • Last Wada gift. I don't expect more games like Drakengard for SE, hell they are basically saying this!
  • And XII HD is hanging or X/X-2 HD success which is a HD remake on 2014. And we know that XV and KH III are coming, but if console output from SE (not counting Eidos) is reduced to those 2 sagas is enough reason to cry on a corner. They just condemned a whole bunch of IP's.
  • Yay, more FF and a very early KH footage is not a reason to be happy...
  • That's nice, but any less would have been a joke. IMO
  • Probably more thanks to Nintendo than SE.
  • Like any decent engine should do over Crystal Tools, but the reality is that Luminous is not even finished when every other major publisher already have their next-gen engines finished and running on their next-gen games.
  • Ok, but at the same time next-gen also raises developement costs, if they go to the high production values, like they should.
  • Eidos Montreal is in a pretty sad state with Thief being in development hell and being less than stellar if we see the previews. IO Interactive hasn't made a good game in some time now and Tomb Raider was also a mess.

• Something we should have got years ago
  • Probably the core mechanics still sucks, game is getting slaughtered at any event is present...
  • We're getting "ecouragment" for years now and the fact is Type-0 has more chances of getting a fan translation than SE ever giving to us the game, unless you mean the bastard simplified iOS version...

Nerokis

Sequels will almost surely happen regardless though, because it's just too expensive to not reuse that base to make other games.

That might be the case, but the XIII model needs much refinement. It devalued the brand, and it kept a talented team in this confined space for far too long. XIII-2 might not have costed nearly as much to make as XIII, but it also didn't generate nearly as much revenue - in many ways, it was a very limited product. Making FF games on the cheap is a safe bet in terms of short term returns, but the long term opportunity cost can be seen in both the impact on the brand and in the absence of another mainline title that could really generate excitement among fans.

XIII represented serious growing pains on the part of SE, but instead of bouncing back with a better grasp on console development, polished development tools, etc., and topping themselves with a bigger and better product created with a more efficient development process, they settled into churning out a series of much more modest titles. They can monetize XV with substantial DLC (maybe in the Mass Effect mold?), perhaps handheld or even smartphone games that capitalize on the pre-existing world and tell new stories, but after it's done, the A team seriously needs to be focusing on something that really feels fresh and ambitious.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Sad to see the company's direction, as I personally (after working with mobile for a while), still see it as a terribly unstable revenue source, at least in the US.

Zafir

Sequels are fine if they aren't tacked on. The issue with XIII-2 and 3 was, they clearly are. The ending of XIII, as bad as I thought it was, tied up most of the loose ends, besides Fang and Vanille. Sure, the gods involvement as small as the details of them were in XIII was left open. However that was something that could have been solved through different characters whose story hadn't already been finished, and through keeping with the world/technology that was already present. I mean the addition of time travel just didn't fit well in my opinion. Yeah, Fang and Vanille are from the past, but they technically didn't time travel in the way Sarah/Noel do, they were just preserved in Crystal.

Then there is the whole issue of even the fans of XIII not wanting any sequels...

They should have just left XIII, and moved work onto the next original FF making use of the experience they gained.

Faustek

There's some hope, I guess. But we'll see about that.

Just release FFXV and KH3 and let them be good.

After that, lets be honest here, SE needs to die.

Not before they release Type-0. Then they can die and leave their IPs in better hands.

This is something I can sometimes agree on. Big Publishers can disappear. They often just suck up all talent that can be proven to be a threat in the future and put them in some stupid corner where they can't flourish. But at the same time I don't see how we can salvage all the great IPs they posses...and yes I do realize that this would make space for some new wonderful adventures we can't think about as of now but I'm not sure I would be willing to risk it if there was an "nuke all big publishers" button.

Square-Enix does absolutely deserve every bit of vitriolic response that they have received over the last four years. Every single time we get a thread with news about them, it's almost certainly, without fail, bad news. Every time they announce a new browser or mobile game, every time they decide to murder a legacy IP that we want a new installment of, every time Toriyama can't get over his Lightning waifu, every time they say something that is totally disconnected with their fans, the perception of them by long time Squaresoft fans just gets worse and worse and worse. If we didn't really care about their company, we wouldn't be posting in here. If we really wanted them to fail, it's out of mercy for the things we used to love being bastardized by clueless executives.

Square-Enix has done more damage to their own brands than we could ever hope to accomplish. We will stop giving them shit when they stop churning out shit.

GfbTkUs.gif

PREACH

Rulp

I wish I could just forget Square Enix exists. Even worse they own Eidos now. The immensity of how much is being wasted cannot be overstated.

spades111

Neo Member
if everythings gonna have an online to it.... i rather it be done in separate games... like say deus ex one year deus ex online the other...i could live with that

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Sometimes i really wish smartphones never came around.

I feel that by focusing on mobile, they are conceding the hardcore RPG gamers for some of their IPs. Now, at the same time I am not saying we need to go back to a menu driven system. I really disliked FF13s hybrid. But, honestly, lightning returns and 15 are shaping up to look pretty good.

I dont know. I just wish SE couls get their act together.

zroid

Banned
Just release FFXV and KH3 and let them be good.

After that, lets be honest here, SE needs to die.

I'm way beyond hoping either of those games will be good, at this point. Especially FFXV.

Would love to be surprised, but there's no hype left in me for mainline Final Fantasy.

I wish I could just forget Square Enix exists. Even worse they own Eidos now. The immensity of how much is being wasted cannot be overstated.

It'd actually be immensely less painful if we forgot Squaresoft existed, cause then who'd give a shit about SE's circus shit-show really. But, I guess grieving the loss of golden-era Squaresoft is the real price we pay for experiencing & loving those amazing games. The $50 was just the initial entry fee.

I started having issues with Square when they made those MMO's officially numbered Final Fantasy installments. Shit annoyed me to no end.

It's still fucked up and absolutely not OK.

The writing has been on the wall for some time. In their rush to desperately try and turn the company around Square are destroying everything they built.

We don't need F2P / Online only games crammed full of monitization, nor do we want sequels to beloved franchises emerging as shovelware mobile crap.

Just make great games and put them out on a regular basis and you should be successful Square.
This just worries me about the fate of a Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Sequel. Some online RPG and a RE6 inspired Co-op experience incoming?

Sad news...

Ran Ran

I'm way beyond hoping either of those games will be good, at this point. Especially FFXV.

Would love to be surprised, but there's no hype left in me for mainline Final Fantasy.

Well I trust Nomura to make a good game more than I do anybody else there (excluding Eidos)

You should kiss FFXI's feet as it was SE's only sure source of revenue for many, many, many years.

Which enabled them to...rape FF with every iteration that followed (along with other IP's) and now become what they are today? Some things are apparently infinitely better off not receiving a life-line.

gonna enjoy this on my iPhone 5
suuuuup GAF

lemme lick em tears

It's ok, that trend too (like all popular things without substantial legs) will crash and burn.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't want to necro-bump a thread so I'll ask here. What are the chances and when would I expect, a FF13 Collection box? I want to play them all but I don't want 3 different boxes -_-

Giran

Just please, please don't disgrace Deus Ex any further. That mobile game already crossed the line. Make it stop.

Which enabled them to...rape FF with every iteration that followed (along with other IP's) and now become what they are today? Some things are apparently infinitely better off not receiving a life-line.

It's ok, that trend too (like all popular things without substantial legs) will crash and burn.

aaaahhh sweet we're going back to flip phones in 2025.

oh ur talking about handhelds.

Toth

People ripping FFXI...geez,

It's funny how it has become one of the best written and plot driven games in the series. Even now it keeps getting updated and will now be updated once a month moving on.

aaaahhh sweet we're going back to flip phones in 2025.

oh ur talking about handhelds.

Not the phones themselves, just the un-proportional number of core games shoe-horned and forced on cellphones while more viable hardware's ignored. (Or phones will catch up and actually figure out how to offer a proper gaming experience. My money's on worthwhile titles moving on to more worthwhile hardware instead of trying to compete with crap like Candy Crush)

People ripping FFXI...geez,

It's funny how it has become one of the best written and plot driven games in the series. Even now it keeps getting updated and will now be updated once a month moving on.

Just cause it's a good MMO, doesn't mean it's acceptable to passively sneak it off as a new, offline FF.

Top Bottom