• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Demo: Feburary 21; (Euro PSN) February 22 [Up On Xbox Live/PSN]

codecow

Other EA games like Dead Space 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit are just as good on the PS3 as they are on the 360.

Thanks, we do try.

internet-memes-bro-animals1.jpg

Special J

Banned
"waiting" this is a common theme...

i just checked my usa and europe accounts neither are up i tried searching for ssx directly nothing.

KuroNeeko

I am going to pass on this one, or at least wait till it drops in price. I don't know, didn't really feel like SSX to me personally. With SSX 3 being my favorite, I was really let down by the demo. I feel like SSX 3 still has better animations when it comes to the way the characters move on the snow, having the body sway more in powder and having the board and legs shake when making those tight carves, especially on ice. Maybe people who actually snowboard will know what I am talking about. I know it isn't meant to be realistic, but neither was SSX 3.

Lastly, the characters seem to be a little dulled down in personality compared to past games and I feel are just not really interesting to me. Also, the lack of character customization and the DJ from the EA Big games is a disappointment. Damn, I was really looking forward to this game too.

Ah, you know what? You're absolutely right. Now that you mention it, I felt like SSX 2012 was a pretty good racing game (still haven't got into the trick mode yet) but SSX3 really captured the feeling of being up on the slopes. Sure, I can't do ANY of the tricks that the cast pull off, but it was nice to be able to pop it in during the summer or when I was strapped for cash and just feel like I did when I was out boarding. The watering down of the character personalities is also a downer.

I think I can come to grips with what the series has become though it's too bad they couldn't recapture that feel.

Having a shitty time trying to preload moves using just the sticks. It feels off. Yet preloading using the jump button works. I'm not enjoying the trick aspect of this game as much as past titles. Part of it has to do with how stupidly "busy" the track is, how fast the character moves, and a big part is that the controls don't feel as tight as in past games.

Finally got the top position on my friend's list on JT2. My time is only 2:07 though. And my time is only milliseconds below soultron's time, at least as of about 2 hours ago. Lol

.GqueB.

Banned
Things I like:

• I actually dig the new controls (buttons). I tried to go back to classic and I actually hated it oddly enough.
• Customization looks like its going to be great as well. Always a plus in my book
• Love the wing suit personally (when I could use it).

Things I hate:

• Why is it so difficult to rev up my jumps? Am I doing something wrong here? In past games, when I held down the jump button, it would essentially lock me into place and only my upper body would move to show that I was getting ready to jump. Now when I hold down the jump button, I can still move freely around the track so.
• And whats with the camera? The movements are so sharp that I find myself whipping around the track like a madman. I feel a definite lack of control here thats very annoying. Im moving around the mountain to easily. Theres no resistance. Its weird and its making me nauseous.
• Not sure if this is across the board but the tracks feel so busy. So much "shit". So much in fact that I rarely know where to go. Im not one to sit there and "learn" a track like the back of my hand and I feel that with this size and "shit" on these tracks Id be forced to which leads me to assume that there will be a point where I will simply stop playing (This also happened in SSX3).

Im indifferent toward everything else as nothing else really stuck out to me. Pretty fun demo though. Probably will buy.

Having a shitty time trying to preload moves using just the sticks. It feels off. Yet preloading using the jump button works.

Same..It's like I'm used to the sticks but not used to it. I guess I can say that there just seems to be too much going on. I guess I have to get used to it. I am coming along slowly but surely I guess.

Best Race time-2.18
Best Trick score-6,049,655

So I guess that means I suck right now. I'm a huge fan of SSX but really not sure how I feel about this game so far. Everything just kinda feels so "cluttered" to me. And I really miss the reset button. I don't need a rewind button, I would rather have a reset. Sometime I feel like a pinball just bouncing around with little control. I also hate turbo on the trigger, I miss it being the X button. This game is in desperate need of some more button layout customization.

Game is good but I guess I expected more. Went from day 0 purchase to day 1.

Same..It's like I'm used to the sticks but not used to it. I guess I can say that there just seems to be too much going on. I guess I have to get used to it. I am coming along slowly but surely I guess.

Best Race time-2.18
Best Trick score-6,049,655

So I guess that means I suck right now. I'm a huge fan of SSX but really not sure how I feel about this game so far. Everything just kinda feels so "cluttered" to me. And I really miss the reset button. I don't need a rewind button, I would rather have a reset. Sometime I feel like a pinball just bouncing around with little control. I also hate turbo on the trigger, I miss it being the X button. This game is in desperate need of some more button layout customization.

Game is good but I guess I expected more. Went from day 0 purchase to day 1.

You can have classic controls :) I'm boosting on X.

Yeah, really not feeling it anymore. The trick portion just seems way off. Probably canceling pre-order and just going with day 1 Redbox rental instead. I hate that the feel of all the old games is gone and now it actually does feel more like "burnout on snow", which is something I'd never in a million years wish for.

Snakeyes

Yeah, really not feeling it anymore. The trick portion just seems way off. Probably canceling pre-order and just going with day 1 Redbox rental instead. I hate that the feel of all the old games is gone and now it actually does feel more like "burnout on snow", which is something I'd never in a million years wish for.

It can't feel that uninspired, right?

chixdiggit

Not so sure I like how easy it is to land everything. Landing a jump is as simple as letting go of the controls a split second before the landing. Previous games felt like a risk/reward type thing where you could reap the reward of another rotation at the risk of not landing it. Also the magnet rails are just too easy.

Really disappointed in the music/sound of the game as well. It really needs to be more over the top. Tricky did this to perfection.

All in all it's pretty fun. I really like the online score stuff. I might switch my pre-order to the 360 because of it.

You can have classic controls :) I'm boosting on X.

I tried the classic controls and really like the standard better. I am getting used to using the right stick for tricks. But again it just feels a little "busy" using the right stick. The old games had a lot of tricks but they were executed a little slower I guess.

Maybe that is my issue. I think the game moves a little too fast where I can't really appreciate the beauty of the tricks and the animations. To me it is definitely a case of more is not better. For example.. I will never forget the first time I pulled a triple back flip flying squirrel with Mac on the last jump of the first track of SSX1. That is a simple trick but was fucking beautiful to pull off. So far this game has not captured much of that beauty.

It can't feel that uninspired, right?

It's not terrible, but it's also not living up to the standard that past SSX games set (not counting the god-awful Wii game). Landing tricks is insanely easy, and they've removed all difficulty associated with grinding. Now you just hit a pole at a million miles an hour and you just stick to it and smash a few buttons and you're doing all kinds of spins and tricks with no threat of coming off the pole. It's fine for what it is, but it isn't really SSX anymore. My personal opinion is also that it's going far too fast, which changes the mechanics of the game. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me more, but at this point I'm not feeling it. And for the record, I love how it looks and I've still not experienced any framerate issues other than the fact that the game isn't running at 60.

I miss the danger from the old games where if you attempt a trick too late, you're going to crash. Now you just do whatever you want and then let go off the left stick and buttons and you land perfectly no matter what.

When you grind, you should have to hold a button to stick to it. The punishment for pussying out like that would be a slower grind, and less points for the tricks you perform while doing it

Bury

Neo Member
All this bullshit with the psn not updating is probably a sign telling me to go to bed and play it tomorrow. Not cool Sony, I shouldn't have to wait 12 or so hours after 360 owners just to play the same demo as them.

Suairyu

Banned
It's 0325 for crying out loud! I stayed up so I could set the demo to download and have it ready by the time I woke up.

tribal24

Banned
It's not terrible, but it's also not living up to the standard that past SSX games set (not counting the god-awful Wii game). Landing tricks is insanely easy, and they've removed all difficulty associated with grinding. Now you just hit a pole at a million miles an hour and you just stick to it and smash a few buttons and you're doing all kinds of spins and tricks with no threat of coming off the pole. It's fine for what it is, but it isn't really SSX anymore. My personal opinion is also that it's going far too fast, which changes the mechanics of the game. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me more, but at this point I'm not feeling it. And for the record, I love how it looks and I've still not experienced any framerate issues other than the fact that the game isn't running at 60.

I miss the danger from the old games where if you attempt a trick too late, you're going to crash. Now you just do whatever you want and then let go off the left stick and buttons and you land perfectly no matter what.

exactly the way i feel about it,

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm having a lot of fun with trick it. Learning the routes, hitting the huge jumps. I do miss the snow flake modifiers though. Also, I was hoping that holding A and preparing a jump would lock you into line you're taking more. I find myself wanting to do tricks that involve spinning flips and instead of hitting the jump I'm veering off the ramp and missing it. Kinda sucks but I guess I just have to get used to it. Other than that I'm having a fucking blast. Just like I did with the OG 3 titles. Game is still so much fun. High score so far is about 9 million. Still trying to figure out exactly how tricky works but once I do I'm hoping to crack 10 million and get the best score on HaloGAF.

Gonna try the PS3 version at some point, but I doubt my mind will change.

*edit* and yeah, I also miss the snowflake point modifiers and the sounds they made as you hit them. This definitely is not the next-gen SSX I was looking for.

I need to play more of the demo, but it does feel to me like the feeling of riding on snow is lost in this game. It was one of those hard to describe, but tangible "feel" things in the original SSX games. You really felt like you were carving down a mountain.

Someone earlier said that you don't have any "resistance", and I think that is the best way of putting it. You just feel like you're carving through air.

Also, the trick system did not need tweaking. This "right analog stick must be used in every game" mantra at EA is just fucking dumb.

Before someone goes and says "you can still play with the original controls", that is only partially true. The original games allowed you to turn off the d-pad for tricks and winding up your jump, but this new SSX doesn't allow for that at all. FAIL.

JaseMath

When you grind, you should have to hold a button to stick to it. The punishment for pussying out like that would be a slower grind, and less points for the tricks you perform while doing it

You never had to do that in past games, right?

Also, and I'm watching videos here (not playing...I own a PS3), but why does it seem like you land every single trick attempt? Seems like it's awfully hard to screw up the landing like in past SSXs.

EDIT: Baconsammy's stealth edit worries me...

You never had to do that in past games, right?

Also, and I'm watching videos here (not playing...I own a PS3), but why does it seem like you land every single trick attempt? Seems like it's awfully hard to screw up the landing like in past SSXs.

EDIT: Baconsammy's stealth edit iworries me...

No, but it seems silly to me to remove all elements of skill and risk/reward balance in grinding

Yep, still terrible at snowboarding games.

And I really want to like this one with all the cool features. Just don't know if it is worth it if I never can be better than mediocre.

KTallguy

Banned
Yeah, I liked how in SSX if you tried a super difficult trick too late, you would eat it. But I'm not surprised that they took that out, this gen is all about making shit very easy. No low points, only high...

No, but it seems silly to me to remove all elements of skill and risk/reward balance in grinding

It seems like they decided to make a trade-off: increased speed offset by ridiculously easy grinding and landing of tricks. Burnout-on-snow. I don't like that bargain. I'll take slower + risk-reward for landing the more elaborate tricks. And I don't think anyone would complain that old SSX games were stupidly slow. They weren't. Maybe I'm just old and cranky now and dont want change.

JaseMath

Yeah, I liked how in SSX if you tried a super difficult trick too late, you would eat it. But I'm not surprised that they took that out, this gen is all about making shit very easy. No low points, only high...

They can certainly patch that in. What happens now - you just don't perform the trick?

It seems like they decided to make a trade-off: increased speed offset by ridiculously easy grinding and landing of tricks. Burnout-on-snow. I don't like that bargain. I'll take slower + risk-reward for landing the more elaborate tricks. And I don't think anyone would complain that old SSX games were stupidly slow. They weren't. Maybe I'm just old and cranky now and dont want change.

It's been almost 6 and a half years since the last SSX and with the amount of "audience participation" during the development process, it's disappointing that they'd mess with the core mechanics like they (apparently) have given how receptive they've been to SSX loyalists.

They can certainly patch that in. What happens now - you just don't perform the trick?

It appears to just end mid-trick and land, with the caveat that you've let go of the button performing the trick (and let go of the left stick to stop a spin). If you're still trying to spin or trick when you're near the ground, you will wreck, though.

KTallguy

Banned
It appears to just end mid-trick and land, with the caveat that you've let go of the button performing the trick (and let go of the left stick to stop a spin). If you're still trying to spin or trick when you're near the ground, you will wreck, though.

That's pretty lame. One thing I noticed is that you don't have to land straight forward, you can land even with the board pointing sideways, is that true?

Top Bottom