• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Demo: Feburary 21; (Euro PSN) February 22 [Up On Xbox Live/PSN]

ultron87

Is there a way to play Classic controls without your spin speed being nerfed to shit? You seem to spin at least twice as fast with the new controls.

Besides that, the game is awesome.

Hale-XF11

Is anyone else finding this game to have an extreme learning curve? I never found the older games to be like this.

Yeah, I'm glad it's not just me, but for whatever reason, I still can't get the hang of the controls. I never struggled like this in SSX3 and Tricky.

I'm yet to play it, but my hype has been dented a lot by the reported ease of landing and grinding. Hopefully a disproportionate reaction. The question now is, will the single-player leaderboards reflect the lack of challenge? Or will the parameters for success be raised in response?

The layout of the two tracks in the demo dont make much sense to me. It's like they through a shitload of ideas into a blender, chose a "theme", and then "Voila here's a boatload of disparate pieces wrapped around some pipe." So at the same point in a track you'll have a crater, a giant rock, a bunch of poles, a tunnel, a bunch of jumps, some little hills etc. I personally think the track design in the older games was more consistent.

ultron87

The new controls just straight up give you bigger tricks than the classic controls. You literally spin twice as fast. This is crap.

Unless I'm missing something.

Suairyu

Banned
I popped 3 in about two weeks ago (PS2), and I was busting crazy shit out in literally seconds. The old games are like riding a bike.
True this. I did a replay not so long ago. Near 100% the thing in a day. I remember it taking weeks the first time I got it.

Was the same way with the very first SSX. Took me days of practice to get very good at it at all. Now if I ever return I'm busting out mad shit like it's no-one's business. SSX does get much harder towards the end compared to 3 though. I never look forward to trying that pipe-infested level again.

chixdiggit

As a big fan of Tricky and SSX 3... this is just not my thing. It seems more about rotating button combinations to maximize boost/score than to line up jumps/rails and nail tricks.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm yet to play it, but my hype has been dented a lot by the reported ease of landing and grinding. Hopefully a disproportionate reaction. The question now is, will the single-player leaderboards reflect the lack of challenge? Or will the parameters for success be raised in response?

The trick gold medal is set at 11 million, and it seems a few are having trouble getting over 8. Took me a couple tries.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Really? I played the old games religiously though, so it was more just remembering where the speed-boost power-ups and shortcuts were.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong because I definitely remember this stuff being pretty easy. Usually the CPU just zooms past me at the start and I can never catch up.

There were at least two times where in the demo I landed on my head but the game credited me with landing the trick and kept my multiplier going. That would have NEVER happened in SSX 3.

Snakeyes

It's not terrible, but it's also not living up to the standard that past SSX games set (not counting the god-awful Wii game). Landing tricks is insanely easy, and they've removed all difficulty associated with grinding. Now you just hit a pole at a million miles an hour and you just stick to it and smash a few buttons and you're doing all kinds of spins and tricks with no threat of coming off the pole. It's fine for what it is, but it isn't really SSX anymore. My personal opinion is also that it's going far too fast, which changes the mechanics of the game. I dunno, maybe it will grow on me more, but at this point I'm not feeling it. And for the record, I love how it looks and I've still not experienced any framerate issues other than the fact that the game isn't running at 60.

I miss the danger from the old games where if you attempt a trick too late, you're going to crash. Now you just do whatever you want and then let go off the left stick and buttons and you land perfectly no matter what.

That's a bit lame to be honest. I did notice that tricks were much easier in the gameplay videos but thought it was just a demo setting to give a better feel for the game to the gaming journalists. Still, can't wait to try it out myself.

chixdiggit

Yeah. I just tried to get the biggest possible spin off the first jump on the Race drop.

Classic: 1080

Standard: 1800

The classic controls actually seem to bring the game closer to the speed of the other games and make it more fun.(Though they didn't even get them right as you were still able to use the left stick to carve the board in previous games.)
Problem is that you would never be able to get a decent score when compared to the new control method.

The classic controls actually seem to bring the game closer to the speed of the other games and make it more fun.(Though they didn't even get them right as you were still able to use the left stick to carve the board in previous games.)
Problem is that you would never be able to get a decent score when compared to the new control method.

I truly hope this isn't true. I've been busting my ass off on Trick It with the classic scheme... And I can't get past 20M. I really hope no scheme has an advantage on purpose over the other.

ultron87

Yeah, the first time I did Trick It! I had it on classic and had a really great run. I was ubering all the time linking everything together though I obviously didn't have the best path down the mountain. It was awesome and fun. I got a bronze.

I then switched to standard and bumbled my way down the mountain and nearly beat the old score.

I truly hope this isn't true. I've been busting my ass off on Trick It with the classic scheme... And I can't get past 20M. I really hope no scheme has an advantage on purpose over the other.

Switch to Standard and look how fast you spin. It is criminal.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah. I just tried to get the biggest possible spin off the first jump on the Race drop.

Classic: 1080

Standard: 1800

Confirmed, and 1260 vs 2160. Standard buttons is much better anyway, and but this should get fixed.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm having a blast with the demo. Since I played the previous Skate games I actually prefer using the trick stick rather than the classic buttons. For those having trouble with it just give it time and practice more.

Current Trick Score on Bulldog: 14,468,793

Xbox 360 Tag: NKRumor

Zabka

The HUD didn't bother me like I expected but the game itself just isn't doing it for me. Played a few runs and didn't have that same mix of responsiveness and resistance in the handling that the better SSX games had. 30 fps sucks major balls for a sports game too.

Top Bottom