• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Falls Short of 4K at Launch, Destiny 2 Runs at a Native 1080p and Medium Settings

thelastword

Banned
WCCFstadia7-1.jpg

Google Stadia launches tomorrow and early review are somewhat mixed. Prior to launch Google promised players would be able to tap into powerful 10.7 teraflop hardware, allowing anybody to play games at 4k and 60fps on high settings, but the reality seems to be somewhat different.

According to The Verge’s Stadia review, the streaming platform does not run its showcase launch title Destiny 2 in native 4K. Google confirmed this in a statement…

"When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect."

Not only is Destiny 2 not true 4K on Stadia, it runs at medium settings. So, in other words, Destiny 2 on Stadia is a marked step down from the Xbox One X version, which runs at native 4K with more visual pizazz. Apparently, Destiny 2 isn’t the only game not offering the visual quality Google promised – it's revealed in Eurogamer’s Stadia review that Red Dead Redemption 2 only renders at 1440p and 30fps with visual settings at around the same level seen on the Xbox One X. So, a little better than Destiny 2, but not the top-of-the-line experience we were told to expect. Presumably, other games also offer less-than-ideal visual performance.

Of course, streaming games at 1080p/1440p with high-end console settings isn’t terrible. If you’re not a particularly techy person and just looking at Stadia as a replacement for consoles, it’s not a bad alternative. That said, Google promised more, and for whatever reason, they’re not delivering yet. Hopefully they can work the kinks out and offer a true high-end experience soon.

The Google Stadia Founder’s and Premiere Editions, which come with a Chromecast Ultra, launch tomorrow (November 19) in 14 countries, including United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland. More traditional free-to-play and premium subscription options arrive in early 2020.

https://wccftech.com/stadia-destiny-2-1080p-medium-rdr2-1440p/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So much for all the promises and settings better than what you see on consoles, of course it can improve, but there was so much doom and gloom for console manufacturers and even psnow before Stadia arrived.....So much talk about how the mighty google will eat Sony's service for breakfast and make consoles obsolete.......The future et al.......I think we over-expend for large companies, thinking money can buy everything or ensure success........I think Xcloud is next on the table and I'm not to optimistic about that one either, seeing as it's just another big boy company like google with deep pockets, but can they making gaming work and viable via streaming......I've always said, if you can't make it happen on console, you won't make it happen in the cloud.....

Phase

Yesterday Skill Up said this: "I held a Stadia controller today and it felt like arse. It feels like all the player 2 controls you forced your little bro to use. Like walking into Gamestop and saying 'Find me the cheapest, shittiest 3rd party controller you have, and then give me the pre-owned version of that'

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Eurogamer article has comparison shots between Stadia and the OneX. RotTR & Destiny look fairly close with slightly less detail in Stadia, but Stadia does NOT run RDR2 with "visual settings at around the same level seen on the Xbox One X". the comparison shots for Stadia look like ass, very low detail blurry ass.

Eurogamer article:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I could understand the "It'll get better as it goes along" statements that will be made, but when a system dependent on network architecture and a processing backend, how are you not performing at claim specifications when no one but Google employees and testers/reviewers are using it?

Last edited:

sol_bad

The Eurogamer article has comparison shots between Stadia and the OneX. RotTR & Destiny look fairly close with slightly less detail in Stadia, but Stadia does NOT run RDR2 with "visual settings at around the same level seen on the Xbox One X". the comparison shots for Stadia look like ass, very low detail blurry ass.

Eurogamer article:

Even the Tomb Raider comparison has the Stadia version looking softer.

ethomaz

Banned

Eurogamer article:
It probably is running at X level but the streaming have compressions like you know YouTube so that is probably why it looks so bad.

But I thought that was expected and know by most players... Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k are way below in quality than a real 4k video.

Streaming is that.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Eurogamer article:
lmao those comparisons are soooooo bad.

eAHGDmC.jpg

edit: click on the picture to see the full image.

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
This is the worst part of the launch. The fact that they got it to work and work well is fine but it is not delivering as they promised and that is an epic fail.

They should have just been upfront and said that "the settings will start off at 1080p upscaled and medium settings and over time as tech improves, the quality of our product will increase". I think we all could have lived with that (if it was priced accordingly, which it isnt). Right now, the best bet is a PS5/Xbox Scarlett. Maybe next gen Google and the infrastructure required will be ready.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It probably is running at X level but the streaming have compressions like you know YouTube so that is probably why it looks so bad.

But I thought that was expected and know by most players... Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k are way below in quality than a real 4k video.

Streaming is that.

Maybe, but wasn't Stadia supposed to have graphics superior to consoles? It can't compete with the OneX and PS 5 and Scarlett are right around the corner. I seriously doubt Stadia will vaguely be able to offer visuals anywhere near the new consoles.

OTOH - I seriously doubt Stadia will still be around when the new consoles launch so that's probably a moot point.

Gamernyc78

Banned
But but but the infinite power of the 10plus flops on server side tht all the pseudo gaming devs and engineers on here told me would bring us awesome 4K streaming and exponentially increase power over the years. The same dudes tht talk so much caca about how thy have experience in this and regular gaf posters don't know about stuff like this 🙄😂😂😂😂

NickFire

Monthly fee to upscale to 4k. Can only imagine the native resolution for non-payers. It has to be below 1080p right? They wouldn't really charge just to upscale I would think.

demigod

What was your experience like?

It was pixelated every now and then. It was pretty good but then again it was free. No chance I pay $60 for the games on there though.

Edit : They should've done a subscription model or ad based. When this fails because of the price I can see them changing.

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
It was pixelated every now and then. It was pretty good but then again it was free. No chance I pay $60 for the games on there though.
That's disappointing.

I can only see the model working if the games are priced right. I'm happy to play RDR with a little lag or pixellation at times if I'm only paying 30 bucks for it.

Reviews are just coming in so varied. At best though, people are saying it is okay and it works but the bad reviews are making this a PR disaster for Google.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Edit : They should've done a subscription model or ad based. When this fails because of the price I can see them changing.

I have a feeling that was the intention but rights/licensing deals fell through with the devs and the publishers.

It is a fairly complicated legal area. Let's hope they can change it in the future.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Google, who think they are the biggest business geniuses on Earth, never even got the old saying "under promise and over deliver".
I know we're all ripping on Google but seriously...you are saying Google aren't good at business?

They are literally one of the biggest and most rich businesses on earth.

Keep shitting on Stadia, I'm joining in, but some people need to get a grip on reality.

vkbest

So it’s better have PS4 Pro better or similar graphics(destiny 2 and rdr2 running higher resolution), less latency and I can play on my iPhone with remote play

probably google is charging for stadia instances and those developers went to cheap way

Last edited:
Top Bottom