• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Falls Short of 4K at Launch, Destiny 2 Runs at a Native 1080p and Medium Settings

Shifty

Stadia: Okay guys, wanna hear my latest stand-up bit?

Medium...

giphy.gif

...Settings!

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Let's see, I'm a woman, Xbox has all kinds of colors even girly pink. I ALWAYS buy a black controller. Does that mean I'm a manly woman???
Women only by black controllers because black goes with everything and looks less dirty than the other colors . Its obvious they already got you

Xdrive05

So... then where are the TFs going? Are they running more than one simultaneous instance of Destiny 2 on the same server box or something?

They suggested that more than one Stadia box can run the same game to the end user, scaling up to infinity hardware performance going forward. It’s behaving like the other way around. :-/

HeresJohnny

So I'm not seeing this as you guys are, I consider this a huge win for Google. The fact it's working at all is far better than I actually anticipated.

Have you ever heard of a gaming company overstating what they actually deliver? Seems pretty standard really, and the reality is they have the infrastructure to deliver on that promise in the future.

Some initial speed bumps is to be expected. The single biggest problem I see is the price point of games. Full price will be the death of this thing if they don't get intelligently competitive with their price point.
Companies overstating things and releasing shit that is inferior to current generation hardware are two completely different things. Also good luck selling this when you are saying "we promise in the future you'll get to play a version of RDR2 that is on par with hardware on the shelf now." There are speed bumps and there are brick walls. That's the latter.

Google should write a book called, "How NOT to Launch a Gaming Platform." Sony and Microsoft should read it, as it tells them what not to do.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Inclined to agree. While data caps and shit internet speeds are still an issue, this won’t be resolved anytime soon.

Maybe another 5 years or so we will have moved forward significantly.

NickFire

Inclined to agree. While data caps and shit internet speeds are still an issue, this won’t be resolved anytime soon.

Maybe another 5 years or so we will have moved forward significantly.
Maybe in 5 years, but that seems awfully optimistic to me considering Google killed its own ISP service as I understand. Tough to believe the cable companies will invest that kind of money when the existing infrastructure works well enough for everything but Stadia.

Neff

The entire concept is baffling to me. It captures none of the aspects of gaming which have ensured I remain the enthralled hobbyist I've been over the last few decades. Stadia obviously knows video games are fun, and wants to bring them to people and make money doing so, but it completely misunderstands the culture and the appeal. It's like inviting people to play-by-mail beer pong.

What a atrocious headline from the local Sony fanboy.

You do know more than Destiny 2 came out for Stadia and that there are multiple videos on YouTube showing games in4k? We can do better than this.

sol_bad

So when are two people who bought this thing going to start an OT?
The gifs are waiting. :messenger_savoring:

Did any of the supporters of this shit in this thread actually buy their Stadia starter packages?
hmmmmmm
I bet they didn't put their money where their mouth is.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Even with the title change, it's still inaaccurate since there are 4K games being played as we speak everywhere.
Which games are in 4k? I thought the games were rendered in 1080p then upscaled. From the screens I've seen, nothing looks remotely close to 4k native.

Which games are in 4k? I thought the games were rendered in 1080p then upscaled. From the screens I've seen, nothing looks remotely close to 4k native.

4k and Native 4k are two different things, the thread title claims it didn't reach either which is false.

Murdoch

Here are some tidbits in my short time with the service.

Switching controllers whilst playing Destiny changes the button prompts in game to the correct controller official icons, including those of the Nintendo switch pro controller AND the dualshock 4.

Playing Destiny using the pro controller's FAR superior triggers and HD rumble is bliss.

Not to sound hyperbolic over something new but...

I've been playing Destiny on console since the first game at launch. I'm currently playing it on the Xbox one X and played for a few hours tonight.

PvE on Stadia is nice... you get the extra FPS and admittedly lose a bit of fidelity. PvP is a TOTALLY different matter. The connection BETWEEN players is absolutely fantastic. That was like Playing Halo 5 on a dedicated server @ 60fps an all. Every bullet landed immediately (as a destiny player this concept is foreign) If that game wasn't a one off i'll be an extremely happy bunny

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member

Switching controllers whilst playing Destiny changes the button prompts in game to the correct controller official icons, including those of the Nintendo switch pro controller AND the dualshock 4.

Playing Destiny using the pro controller's FAR superior triggers and HD rumble is bliss.

I've been playing Destiny on console since the first game at launch. I'm currently playing it on the Xbox one X and played for a few hours tonight.

PvE on Stadia is nice... you get the extra FPS and admittedly lose a bit of fidelity. PvP is a TOTALLY different matter. The connection BETWEEN players is absolutely fantastic. That was like Playing Halo 5 on a dedicated server @ 60fps an all. Every bullet landed immediately (as a destiny player this concept is foreign) If that game wasn't a one off i'll be an extremely happy bunny

Good to hear some positive feedback.

I would jump on board just to try it but no release likely in Australia.

I was hyped pre launch, then yesterday knocked my hype down a lot.

I still think the service has something to offer me and fingers crossed it improves over time.

Either way, it has been a ballsup by Google so far.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Seems like they should have waited for this. What was the rush? To beat Xcloud? That shit ain't comin out til 2020. Why did they have to release now?

Where's the thread about the Google "Lay-offs"?

Dizzan

MINI Member
So has anyone tried xCloud? How does it compare?

I'm not baiting, just wondering if the tech is just not there altogether or if it is shit no matter who is running the show? Is one Google further along with their tech than Microsoft? or vice versa?

VertigoOA

Banned

pvp was always the gamble... it’s not p2p as its all on bungie or stadia’s servers or whatnot right? That’s pretty impressive if true (not doubting you.)

I would’ve found it hard to believe if the stadia port wasn’t well optimized.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
For a second I thought they didn't break 4000 consoles sold at launch LOL!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So has anyone tried xCloud? How does it compare?

I'm not baiting, just wondering if the tech is just not there altogether or if it is shit no matter who is running the show? Is one Google further along with their tech than Microsoft? or vice versa?
xCloud was phone-only and using a X1S BT controller. It runs the X1S version from the server and in my case the image quality was good, especially on a phone.
I used a 60fps camera to test input latency using right analog stick on xCloud and it came out to about 350ms, around double of GeForce Now on the same phone, network, and controller. Digital Foundry tested input latency on Stadia with Chromecast Ultra, but they didn't specify whether it was WiFi or ethernet. They used a button press, instead of right analog stick.

fvFFZmH.jpg

This is probably best-case scenario, as many Stadia reviews were showing substantial input lag. That notorious vid from Washington Post they were using a ethernet connection on PC and the guy was hitting jump and had enough time to turn towards the camera and pose before the action completed. That's probably upwards of a half a second.

Ars Technica measured about 67ms for xCloud, but those tests seem way optimistic. Almost like they had a server setup in the same building. Same deal they were testing a button press, not a stick.

sendit

Stadia isn't a console. It is streaming as a service. Latency is a real thing here regardless of what game was showcased. This is an incredibly poor showing on Googles part after the reveal and hype. xCloud won't do much better unless some engineer can magically solve the latency problem.

The main driving factor here is being able to play the latest game on any platform and at any location.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I'll double down and call this a major flag planting in the ground for filthy casual gamers everywhere. This particular community....we wear our video game nuts on our shoulders and anything less than 'best' is unacceptable.

There's tons of filthy casuals who won't know the difference between 420p and 4k and will eat up any game they can play not knowing any better. There is definitely a market for what Stadia provides but it's not for this community and that's clear.

Give it 2 years to bake, I bet people start changing opinions. Until then, pile the fuck on because it's hilarious.

sendit

I'll double down and call this a major flag planting in the ground for filthy casual gamers everywhere. This particular community....we wear our video game nuts on our shoulders and anything less than 'best' is unacceptable.

There's tons of filthy casuals who won't know the difference between 420p and 4k and will eat up any game they can play not knowing any better. There is definitely a market for what Stadia provides but it's not for this community and that's clear.

Give it 2 years to bake, I bet people start changing opinions. Until then, pile the fuck on because it's hilarious.

Visually casuals may not be able to notice the difference. However, gaming is an interactive form of entertainment. Casuals will definitely be able to tell when they press a button to the action they see on the screen.

Top Bottom