• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

BeeDog

Thanks guys for the fast answers. While this is probably cheating, do you guys also know of a way to increase the item limit through file-editing or something? In my current save, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a ton of shit I don't wanna throw away (OCD), but my character can't move. :lol This makes it hard for me to get into the game.

Scipius

BeeDog said:
Thanks guys for the fast answers. While this is probably cheating, do you guys also know of a way to increase the item limit through file-editing or something? In my current save, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with a ton of shit I don't wanna throw away (OCD), but my character can't move. :lol This makes it hard for me to get into the game.

You can mod it via the .ltx files (which are not visible in an unmodded installation), but I would still recommend against it. Inventory management is part of the STALKER experience; with CS and CoP there are plenty of ways to increase your weight carrying ability. In your case, if you have a steroid bottle, use it and hightail it to Skadovsk. An alternative would be to store your loot somewhere safe locally and return for it later.

A pistol, a shotgun, an assault rifle, ammo for all, some food, plus several medkits, radkits and bandages along with a few artifacts is all you need in the beginning. No need to lug around an arsenal. Money is also easy enough to come by.

Have you ever played the original game? Weight management was far more cumbersome in SoC.

Dennis

Banned
BeeDog said:
Oh boy do I know about not being able to move and agonizing over what items to leave behind :lol

But that is part of the charm and RPGness of the game. You are talking about cheating!!

BeeDog

Scipius said:
You can mod it via the .ltx files (which are not visible in an unmodded installation), but I would still recommend against it. Inventory management is part of the STALKER experience; with CS and CoP there are plenty of ways to increase your weight carrying ability. In your case, if you have a steroid bottle, use it and hightail it to Skadovsk. An alternative would be to store your loot somewhere safe locally and return for it later.

A pistol, a shotgun, an assault rifle, ammo for all, some food, plus several medkits, radkits and bandages along with a few artifacts is all you need in the beginning. No need to lug around an arsenal. Money is also easy enough to come by.

Have you ever played the original game? Weight management was far more cumbersome in SoC.

Yes I have, and I do know that the inventory management was shitty there. I just can't be arsed playing this game now if I need to micromanage shit. I guess I'll put this game on the backburner until the summer or something unless I figure out how to make my guy be able to carry 500 kg or something. :p Simply don't have the time to delve into over-complicated games currently when my mind keeps wandering between chores (don't have the same amount of spare time like I had while playing the first game).

Gattsu25

Banned
BeeDog said:
Yes I have, and I do know that the inventory management was shitty there. I just can't be arsed playing this game now if I need to micromanage shit. I guess I'll put this game on the backburner until the summer or something unless I figure out how to make my guy be able to carry 500 kg or something. :p Simply don't have the time to delve into over-complicated games currently when my mind keeps wandering.
Progress Quest sounds right up your alley

Zenith

Banned
item placement is persistent. you can leave some stuff somewhere and come back for it.

edit: wait you know about the bottomless item boxes right?

FoxSpirit

You know what REALLY irks me?
In the benchmark the trees and foliage were crisp and clean while in the full game... we all know how it looks.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Just finished it... and was a little disappointed towards the end. When I got to the final area I really wanted to spend some time doing side quests and exploring the new zone.

But once you get there you've just got a lot of heavily cutscened missions pushing you forward. I can appreciate the increased momentum at the end, but I guess I wanted a bit of downtime in the final zone beforehand.

JoeMartin

Yeah there's several points in Pripyat where you can just wander around if you want to, but there really isn't anything to do there
until after you've finished the main storyline and decided to stay.

I've finished it 'twice' over the weekend.

I flew out with the helicopters, without completing the bloodsucker, scientist missions and finding the oasis, so I reloaded and didn't evactae this time and hung around instead.

Finding the oasis was really a proud moment! I was about to use a walkthrough to find it, when I remembered I had stumbled upon a weird building previously that kept doing some strange things - I didn't hang around at the time though. Went back there, figured out the puzzle and got huge satisfaction out of it!

Awesome game, I enjoyed it much more the SoC (though it's been some years since I played that) and I haven't played Clear Skies.

wormstrangler said:
I've finished it 'twice' over the weekend.

I flew out with the helicopters, without completing the bloodsucker, scientist missions and finding the oasis, so I reloaded and didn't evactae this time and hung around instead.

Finding the oasis was really a proud moment! I was about to use a walkthrough to find it, when I remembered I had stumbled upon a weird building previously that kept doing some strange things - I didn't hang around at the time though. Went back there, figured out the puzzle and got huge satisfaction out of it!

Awesome game, I enjoyed it much more the SoC (though it's been some years since I played that) and I haven't played Clear Skies.

Sadly i had to use a guide to find that Oasis, but damn, it was still an awesome find. Exploring in CoP is so much more rewarding than the other Stalkers :D

dLMN8R

I finally got around to playing this game a ton over the past week, and really am loving it. I have a few questions though.

1) I get some absurdly terrible stuttering. A No Prefetch mod has helps it a bit, but it's still simply unacceptable for my 4870, 4GB ram, and Q9550. Anyone know what's up? Different graphics settings don't really seem to help much either

2) I've done everything available to me in the first map so far, and am now on the second map. I still have the two helicopter crash sites to investigate, and an extra site to investigate...location <insert number here> or something. Yet I can't figure out how to get to any of them - any hints? Do I have to find that Oasis thing first before I can proceed?

3) I already did as much scavenging around in the Jupiter plant as I could - I found a ton of documents, including one set of documents which caused a bunch of enemies to appear (I killed them all). But I didn't have a mission to get those documents - is there anything to do with them except for selling them to the one guy in the ship hideout area?

4) About how far through the game am I, still a ways to go?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dLMN8R said:
I finally got around to playing this game a ton over the past week, and really am loving it. I have a few questions though.

1) I get some absurdly terrible stuttering. A No Prefetch mod has helps it a bit, but it's still simply unacceptable for my 4870, 4GB ram, and Q9550. Anyone know what's up? Different graphics settings don't really seem to help much either

No, it's just this old shitty singlethreaded engine.

2) I've done everything available to me in the first map so far, and am now on the second map. I still have the two helicopter crash sites to investigate, and an extra site to investigate...location <insert number here> or something. Yet I can't figure out how to get to any of them - any hints? Do I have to find that Oasis thing first before I can proceed?

If you post a screenshot of the map I might be able to help. Have you visited Noah?

dLMN8R said:

3) I already did as much scavenging around in the Jupiter plant as I could - I found a ton of documents, including one set of documents which caused a bunch of enemies to appear (I killed them all). But I didn't have a mission to get those documents - is there anything to do with them except for selling them to the one guy in the ship hideout area?

4) About how far through the game am I, still a ways to go?

2) Oasis has nothing to do with the main story. It won't be stopping you.

3) Not sure which documents they were.

4) Probably over half-way through the main story line.

dLMN8R

cop.jpg

There's one area to the left - but there's a barred door that tells me it can only be opened from the inside. Can't figure out how to get inside though.

Bottom-middle is a helicopter crash site surrounded by landmines. Can't figure out how to get around the mines!

The Jupiter plant to the lower-right - I looked around for 30-45 minutes, couldn't find any entrance to get me to the crash site. Any tips?

subversus

Well, if you want to pass landmines you should walk on the road to the heli and throw screws on asphalt. The sound will be different when they land on mines. But you could easily see the mines on this road because they're covered with sand as far as I remember.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I remember navigating that minefield in the middle of the night in total darkness. It's not that tough, just hug the fence on the outer edge. Get ready for some fun once you examine the helicopter though. :D

Yep, mine field is easy to navigate - follow the road, the lighter patches (or darker patches?) are the mines.

To get into the jupiter plant, get to the far bottom right of the way. Maybe enter through the building north of the of plant.

cop.jpg

dLMN8R

Interesting, thanks for the help guys.

On the mines - I tried looking for indicators but couldn't find any. Guess I wasn't looking close enough. I also tried shooting at the ground to make the mines blow up, but that didn't help - didn't think of using Bolts there, I always just use those for anamolies.

For the entrance to the plant - I followed that exact path but could figure out how to make it to the western side of the plant from that entrance - I thought I had to enter the plant through another means, since it seemed like I could only explore the eastern half. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks again!

Scipius

dLMN8R said:
since it seemed like I could only explore the eastern half.

You can only explore the eastern (and northern) part. The documents you found are part of possible quests, but from what I remember, quests from the scientists. Don't sell them to Owl until you see if the scientists are interested.

That area to the left (the military site) has a closed-off armoury.
It can be accessed via the basement for which you'll need a key found in the building above it. Bring ammo.

Joseph Merrick said:
game is too good for the shitty/trashy official thread treatment

Pretty much. STALKER is not the kind of game that would appeal to most of GAF and it doesn't need to be.

John

LMN8R, to get into the Jupiter planet approach the building from the south.

I'm right after that, have gone to the minefield and the barred place to the left, couldn't figure anything out.

As for getting the thing to run, I've put it on low settings and it still stutters frequently outside. Just not going to work unless the Complete patch gives the engine multithreading or something.

I guess this is the appropriate place to put this.

I just grabbed Call of Pripyat yesterday because I liked SoC and such. Now the problem here is...the game looks like total shit, the graphics are worse than SoC. There must be something going wrong here.

2hcooki.jpg

m7z992.jpg

ngqd06.jpg

1zozqkp.jpg

This is what it looks like with every graphics setting set as high as it will possibly go, on DX11 rendering. Weirdly, it does look like there is tesselation on the brickwork in the first picture...right next to a horrific door texture. The last picture really shows how bad it is. This can't possibly be what it looks like at max can it? It makes it really difficult to play.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Some of those textures look like what I was playing on medium. :/

Finished the game last week, the ending was a big disappointment for me. The entire game up until that point was awesome, though.

Dennis

Banned
This is what the game looks like for me when modded. Of course these screens were also taken when there was good lighting.

If I remember correctly I used part of the AtmosFear mod to change the weather so it wasn't so drap and overcast all the time.

So would you say that applying some sort of graphical mods is pretty necessary? I figured I would play through vanilla and then start over again when Stalker Complete CoP is released...but I don't know if I can stand this.

Dennis

Banned
Wormdundee said:
So would you say that applying some sort of graphical mods is pretty necessary? I figured I would play through vanilla and then start over again when Stalker Complete CoP is released...but I don't know if I can stand this.
For me it was necessary to mod to play. I don't know how long it will be be before Complete is released. I rarely play through games twice, I simply have too many new games to bother so I wait until it looks good enough. Gor this game it was the AtmosFear mod that made it playable. I am sure Complete will look even better if you can wait that long.

Zenith

Banned
Wormdundee said:

just get AtmosFear, it's all you need for graphics.

subversus

Wormdundee said:
I guess this is the appropriate place to put this.

*horrible pics*

Have you applied the latest patch? Playing on Win32?

edit: if you haven't and playing on win32 then it sets you texture settings closer to medium automatically, no matter what you do

dock

Frustratingly, I bought this for full price on Steam but can't get it running without regularly stuttering on my machine, even on the lowest settings.
I'm on a new Vaio-Z with Core i7 2.67ghz and Geforce 330m . It runs all other games fine, but this game stutters every 3-6 seconds. I'm on an SSD drive, so I can't imagine it's drive speed that's the problem. :( Any suggestions? Does this run on similar laptops, like the alienware m11x?

subversus

dock said:
Frustratingly, I bought this for full price on Steam but can't get it running without regularly stuttering on my machine, even on the lowest settings.
I'm on a new Vaio-Z with Core i7 2.67ghz and Geforce 330m . It runs all other games fine, but this game stutters every 3-6 seconds. I'm on an SSD drive, so I can't imagine it's drive speed that's the problem. :( Any suggestions? Does this run on similar laptops, like the alienware m11x?

4 gb of ram.

And yes, it will stutter even with 4 gb. But less. The engine has pretty shitty resource management, even developers acknowledge that.

dock

subversus said:
4 gb of ram.
And yes, it will stutter even with 4 gb. But less. The engine has pretty shitty resource management, even developers acknowledge that.
4gb is too few? D: Insane. So, when they list 768mb of RAM on the Steam requirements page, it's just a joke? It's very frustrating to have paid £20 for a game that I can't play, through no fault of my own. Valve (predictably) refuse to refund it.

I wonder why they don't just list genuine requirements for games.

Scipius

dock said:
4gb is too few? D: Insane. So, when they list 768mb of RAM on the Steam requirements page, it's just a joke? It's very frustrating to have paid £20 for a game that I can't play, through no fault of my own. Valve (predictably) refuse to refund it.

I wonder why they don't just list genuine requirements for games.

4 GB is more than enough; I ran it just fine with 3 GB and even that was overkill. The problem is probably not your amount of RAM, but something else in your system.

The X-Ray engine is definitely not one of the world's most efficient creatures, but it's also quite old by now. It will normally run quite well if you turn down some of the added eye-candy.

Aaron

Only stutters very rarely with 2gig of ram here. You need to pull down the settings if you don't have a monster machine.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I've come across a bug -in STALKER! Amazing, I know.

Anyhow, this game is really fun, I'm digging it so far, but I'm supposed to meet Grouse by the cranes after gassing the things, but I can't for the life of me get into that building. The door is locked.

So can I continue on without getting that mission done, or do I need to load an earlier save?

Scipius

Dr.Acula said:
So can I continue on without getting that mission done, or do I need to load an earlier save?

You may just have to wait awhile, since there is supposed to be a third person in there as well. Perhaps that person hasn't arrived yet.

I vaguely remember not being able to enter it immediately as well; but I don't recall what was the cause, only that I did enter in the end.

It is definitely just a side-mission though; you should be able to progress without it.

Billen

Banned
Got this from the Steam sale this weekend together with Shadow of Chernobyl. Will try Shadow with some of the decent mods available. So far I have only played Pripyat. Really atmospheric.

Almak

subversus said:
4 gb of ram.

For some reason I always thought it was their a-life engine that made it stutter once in a while. Happened to me in every stalker game on any machine I tried it on.

Billen said:
Got this from the Steam sale this weekend together with Shadow of Chernobyl. Will try Shadow with some of the decent mods available. So far I have only played Pripyat. Really atmospheric.
Get this for Shadow of Chernobyl:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Dont even bother playing vanilla unless you really want to.

notsol337

marked forever
Almak said:
For some reason I always thought it was their a-life engine that made it stutter once in a while. Happened to me in every stalker game on any machine I tried it on.

Get this for Shadow of Chernobyl:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Dont even bother playing vanilla unless you really want to.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk

This is what I use for Shadow of Chernobyl. I just picked up SoC and CoP from Steam!

Lurk is pretty hard, though.

54-46!

So I played the first game a bit, first time vanilla but it crashed and screwed up my save file.. and a second time with Complete 2009, where several quests got borked so I couldn't continue the game. Is CoP full of bugs and annoyances too?

Can someone give me a basic rundown of the story from the first game so that I can continue playing this one instead?

notsol337 said:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk

This is what I use for Shadow of Chernobyl. I just picked up SoC and CoP from Steam!

Lurk is pretty hard, though.

How is Lurk? From what I can tell is a bit more of an expansive overhaul compared to the Complete 2009 mod? Is it well thought out and balanced like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul or is it a bit more amateurish.

Aaron

54-46! said:
So I played the first game a bit, first time vanilla but it crashed and screwed up my save file.. and a second time with Complete 2009, where several quests got borked so I couldn't continue the game. Is CoP full of bugs and annoyances too?

Can someone give me a basic rundown of the story from the first game so that I can continue playing this one instead?
You don't really need to know the story of the first to play CoP, just the basics that you get at the beginning of the first STALKER. I encountered a few bugs here and there in CoP, but nothing game breaking. I'd still recommend multiple save files. You should make multiple save files for any PC game. You only have yourself to blame otherwise.

Top Bottom