• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zalusithix

But you're the best. Simply the best. A fleet like no one else has, no one! Don't let those crooked captains from other orgs tell you otherwise. They're nothing but liars, believe me.

C'mon! Let's make the UEE great again! I believe you can do it!
Haha. Those speech mannerisms can certainly be used for anything.

Please, no politics in the org! I spend enough time in the day getting away from it. :)

Eh, by the time SC hits the election will long be over. With any luck it'll be before the next election cycle. ;) Also, I disliked him long before he became a political figure. If we can't talk about famous people in general, there won't be much to talk about outside of the game itself.

Edit:
I would love to be a crew member. I don't necessarily need to take out my own ship all of the time.

Is that a car vehicle? Are we gonna be able to drive around as well?

I hope they'll have a sale on the ships after the stream!
Yes, that's a rover for planetside exploration. Certain ships have bays to store rovers. The Constellation (Phoenix & Aquila) and Carrack came with rovers, and others such as the Starfarer could easily store one as well.

Zalusithix

What I saw was amazing. Citizen Con.... I lust for thee.

Yeah, it was amazing even for us that follow the game's progress. I can't imagine how impactful it would be for those unfamiliar with the game. Well, I can kind of imagine - seeing as how the RSI site is basically useless right now. Can't even log in to my account lol.

Vlodril

Those threads usually turn into half people that are interesting in the game and the other half that continue to call it a scam. I don't think another thread would be worth the amount of threadshitting.

This is the first time i ve been in a thread outside the main one about sc that hasnt actually gotten like that. that demo shut everyone up :)

So traded in Carrack lti and mustang game package for the UEE Exploration LTI Pack. Cost me $90 for upward swap.

Not bad at all especially because it has both SC and S42 DL. I guess I am a proud owner of a terrapin now.

Zalusithix

So traded in Carrack lti and mustang game package for the UEE Exploration LTI Pack. Cost me $90 for upward swap.

Not bad at all especially because it has both SC and S42 DL. I guess I am a proud owner of a terrapin now.

Debated doing fleet shuffling for a package deal, but everything I have already has LTI, and virtually everything I have I see more use for than the Terrapin. In the end I'll pass on it like I initially thought I would.

That said, I did take the most minor step in my fleet plans with moving my P72 hull conversions along and migrated one over to a Herald. Still not sold on them getting that gameplay element working well, but it doesn't hurt to hedge my bets.

That little step was enough to push me over the next funding title threshold though:
nsXpD42.png

Thankfully I'll never hit the next one.

Debated doing fleet shuffling for a package deal, but everything I have already has LTI, and virtually everything I have I see more use for than the Terrapin. In the end I'll pass on it like I initially thought I would.

That said, I did take the most minor step in my fleet plans with moving my P72 hull conversions along and migrated one over to a Herald. Still not sold on them getting that gameplay element working well, but it doesn't hurt to hedge my bets.

That little step was enough to push me over the next funding title threshold though:
nsXpD42.png

:D

"thankfully"

jaaz

Melted my individual Carrack and DUR packages and got the UEE and Starter packages, which gave me both ships back, plus the Terrapin, the 315p and 2 Drangonfly's (for some extra cash).

The 2-man search and rescue and long range scanning/exploration function of the Terrapin sold me. It also looks like an 80's drop ship as someone said and I can't resist that. Time to edit the Org spreadsheet!

Rephin

nsXpD42.png

Bruh.
BRUH.
Space Trump.

I traded my Carrack in along with all my Retaliator modules for the Exploration Pack. I'll just buy those back later. Along with that Hull C I've been putting off. And maybe the Reliant too.

epmode

Shooting is definitely rough but that was one hell of a demo. As usual, I love that Roberts is so focused on the details like the working elevator system and tracking the planet-side character from within the ship.

Zalusithix

:D

"thankfully"
My wallet gives thanks at least. =) Truthfully, it'd be pretty badass to have the "Wing Commander" title, and it's hard to argue with the ship pack that would afford. (Though seriously, an Idris-P and an Idris-M? Overkill much?) That'd require doubling my donations to the project though, and short of winning the lotto, I don't see that happening. I'm already winding down, and even my current fleet plan fully realized wouldn't even get me half way from here to there.

I traded my Carrack in along with all my Retaliator modules for the Exploration Pack. I'll just buy those back later. Along with that Hull C I've been putting off. And maybe the Reliant too.

Looks like we'll have a few turtles in the fleet then. I'm not sure what we'll actually use them for, but we'll have them just the same! Combat rescue is about the only thing I can reasonably think to task them with given all the other ships we have. Virtually every other role I can think of is better served by the other ships we have.

That would imply he has horrible taste and likes covering everything in gold.
Well I did buy a ship with a hot tub in it and lots of shiny accents, and the org emblem I was working on did have gold... Oh god, what have I become? ;)

Starviper

I am moderately tempted to melt my 350R LTI package but I know that is a pretty worthwhile one they don't list on their shop at all. I have an option to swap to a Hornet Ghost for no charge but it's probably not worth it.

tuxfool

Banned
Man that demo was something. I hope they'll remodel some ships for 3.0 my cutlass is getting rusty

Just a reminder that some people bought a Cutlass.

Frequent decompression from poorly sealed bulkheads, rattling bolts falling apart at every turn, thrusters simply failing, sometimes catastrophically, I mean, the Cutlass is a mess. A complete mess. That's why real pilots choose the Aegis Dynamics© Sabre®. A smooth design, with variable swept wings for easy flight in-atmosphere, and a weapons system that packs a punch, to say nothing of the positively tiny radar signature that we know Aegis Dynamics© is known for providing AND high-impact thrusters to get in, get out, and get on with it.

I have a buccaneer.

jaaz

Looks like we'll have a few turtles in the fleet then. I'm not sure what we'll actually use them for, but we'll have them just the same! Combat rescue is about the only thing I can reasonably think to task them with given all the other ships we have. Virtually every other role I can think of is better served by the other ships we have.

From the brochure, it will also serve as a recon vessel, using its big-ass radar scanning array. I think it may serve an E-3 AWACS Sentry role.

It will also be, I think, the safest solo or 2-man explorer ship in the game.

Zalusithix

From the brochure, it will also serve as a recon vessel, using its big-ass radar scanning array. I think it may serve an E-3 AWACS Sentry role.

It will also be, I think, the safest solo or 2-man explorer ship in the game.

The F7C can equip a tracker module in the ball turret area, and it's a relatively sturdy ship that's also quite versatile. Granted it's only a S2 vs the Terrapin's S4 to compensate (assuming the S ratings are even correct on the F7C anymore lol). The Carrack, although not specified, should have even greater scanning capabilities given it's part of the same family of ships (exploration). Then you have cap ships like the Idris, where the original concept had a massive radar dish sticking up out of the back. It just seems like that area can be served by other ships when you have a full deck to play with.

At least for rescue purposes, the ability for it to tank hits while being parked in space for said rescue is unique. The only other recue ship is the Cutlas Red, and that's a bigger, softer target that's less suited for deployment in a combat zone.

All speculation anyhow. Until we can actually use all of these ships in battle at the same time without the server crashing or the game chugging at a slideshow rate, it'll remain that way. Once we can actually start fielding these things, the experimentation can begin.

Edit:
How much do I have to spend to be a Space Marshal too
They're basically all titles from the original crowdfunding tiers. Space Marshal is the $5K tier. Hence I'd have to double my donations to reach the Wing Commander ($10k) level - which isn't going to happen.

Well, I hope I don't hit Space Marshal, but if I do it's because the Polaris did me in.

Well I did want the Jump and the new Hornet design. But other ships are gonna be melted if the Jump goes back on sale. Maybe I will purchase the hornet, but those will be the last.

Pachimari

Is this the Aurora that I need to buy as my first ship, to also get my own hangar, and access to Squadron 42 and all updates?

Also, where can I join the GAF crew?

Zalusithix

Well, I hope I don't hit Space Marshal, but if I do it's because the Polaris did me in.
If the Polaris alone could do you in, then you're close enough that you'll probably eventually get there anyhow. I'll save you a seat here in the crazy people's room. =P

Well I did want the Jump and the new Hornet design. But other ships are gonna be melted if the Jump goes back on sale. Maybe I will purchase the hornet, but those will be the last.
It's always the "last" until the next sale. ;)

Edit:
Also, where can I join the GAF crew?
Information on joining the organization is in the OP, but you go here and submit a request to join. One of us will let you in, and then you can fill your details into the org spreadsheet (link to that by quoting the OP).

jaaz

It's always the "last" until the next sale. ;)

I love the way they stagger sales. So when I buy another ship it doesn't feel so bad. The next big sale in Nov-Dec will be a big decision. I want a (more) unique ship but don't know how I will be able to decide between the Banu, Jump, Starliner, or Endeavor, for example (assuming all go on sale).

Rephin

If the Polaris alone could do you in, then you're close enough that you'll probably eventually get there anyhow. I'll save you a seat here in the crazy people's room. =P

I think once you hit Grand Admiral you've already managed to sit down at the table in the room. Space Marshal is when your friends start planning the intervention.

If the Polaris ends up costing ~$500ish, combined with a repurchase of the Hull C and all the Retaliator modules... I think I barely make it to the intervention.

Pachimari

I'm gonna go with that Aurora ship as my first one for some months, and now I just need to find a decent HORAS flight stick that isn't too expensive.

Zalusithix

I love the way they stagger sales. So when I buy another ship it doesn't feel so bad. The next big sale in Nov-Dec will be a big decision. I want a (more) unique ship but don't know how I will be able to decide between the Banu, Jump, Starliner, or Endeavor, for example (assuming all go on sale).

Assuming the BMM doesn't under a major price hike, it'll be by far the cheapest option of the bunch. The other three are quite pricey, so that's a decent decision point. Beyond that, I've damn near given up hope on seeing the Jump go up for sale again. If it does, it'll likely be a limited F5 rush, so you can probably realistically discard that one. That leaves the Starliner and Endeavor on the expensive side. Both are quite niche and serve entirely different purposes, so you'd really have to decide what interests you more.

I think once you hit Grand Admiral you've already managed to sit down at the table in the room. Space Marshal is when your friends start planning the intervention.

If the Polaris ends up costing ~$500ish, combined with a repurchase of the Hull C and all the Retaliator modules... I think I barely make it to the intervention.
If Space Marshal is the intervention point, then is Wing Commander when they give up on you? Completionist when they pretend they never knew you? ;)

I think I need a little post here to vent.

Watching the stream it's completely frustrating to me to see something that looks and sounds like my dream game. Just about everything in the presentation should have me jumping up and down excited for a game of this scope and being about flying. Great vistas, cool ships and endless possibilities. The problem is the at the very core as it stands it is bad, and not just slightly bad but infuriatingly bad. Like take in the part where the Freelancer is watching the elevator it is spinning assuming with atmo physics a like it weighs about as much as piece of paper. The before watching them trying to land and take off and seeing this large ship zip up and slam down again like it weighs nothing. For a dev that is taking so much time on the presentation of the game how can they look at how these ships handle and say "oh this is good."

Even more frustrating is there seems to be that attention to mass and inertia with EVA, watching how the dude maneuvers to and into the Starfarer it looks like it makes sense. There is proper ramp up time, thrust error and momentum to be stopped and addressed as he tires to go where he wants. Then just moments before you have the disastrous pirate gameplay where the turret might as well be an observation deck because the infuriatingly stupid interactive mode guns and the mass-less Freelancer have no problem outmauvering smaller ships like it was lighter and more nimble ship. Again if they pay so much attention to detail in how the game looks, do no one see how badly the ship flight and combat look? Look at any of the manufacture commercials they release, do any of those whips fly like they do now? Can you even fly like those commercials they advertise with? The answer to both is lol no.

It feels like the more time I actually spend paying attention to this game and playing it the more negative I get to it. Simply because with all the progress to the game the same broken gameplay is still there and met with tepid half-ass responses on what they plan and what they are actually doing with it. They will go out of the way to Reddit and their forums to answer really technical questions on the type of shadow cast by smoke near a certain light but fuck if they want to talk about core gameplay.

I've always said that S42 is my red line to where if the gameplay is as bad as it now, there is no hope for the final game and thus my time to bail by refund or grey market. Though the more I see it and the more I've played it I don't think I can really stay that long and willingly be a backer of this.

The part that conflicts me is that I want to like it, I really really do. Though there is little reason to think this will be any fun in it's current state.

Top Bottom