• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

What's the current state of this game? Shits starting to get bonkers now? Hype AF?

The persistent universe is in alpha.

We don't know the status of the single player (Squadron 42) component. Hopefully we find out a release date for that part during the Gamescom presentation. Knowing Chris Roberts and their lack of ability to start on time...the presentation will probably start at 1:00 pm PST (Los Angeles)

Pachimari

Sean Murray gets publicly executed.

There's a Star Citizen live event scheduled at Gamescom. We'll get to see some of the things CIG have been working on lately, mainly procedural planets tech, maybe the FPS module (Star Marine) and possibly a surprise or two.
Wow! We need a countdown for this, I don't wanna miss it. How many hours till that stream starts?

Zalusithix

the constellation's general silhouette is a bunch of lumps of metal lumped onto more lumps of metal

and it's a boring tube inside. shy knows what's up

Like I said, you're free to dislike the design. I personally like it, and it has come a long ways from it's more "bolt together" implementation. The updated design is far more uniform and cohesive.
ijrJcWw.jpg

CzqJHQS.jpg

And the "boring" tube inside is rather well done for what it is IMO. Well compartmentalized, distinct color differentiation, etc.
vNioDPP.jpg

No, you're not going to get lost in it like a Starfarer, but it's a much smaller and simpler ship. Outside of the Retaliator and Starfarer, every currently released ship is just a series of linear bays with no real directional choice. Heck, many don't even have that and are just cockpits.

I mean, RSI's ships aren't as sleek and sexy as Aegis' lineup, but short of Origin, no manufacturer is. ;P (I have no idea why the overhead lights are off. The hangar is glitchy as hell for me in the PTU with regular crashing while swapping ships out.)
rFn5ufB.jpg

YZ5qZE6.jpg

Geist-

Beautiful. I think I'm definitely going to trade the reliant in for one.

What is this magnificent beast's role? Kind of looks like a dedicated drop ship but less gunboat like the Redeemer.

Aegis Terrapin: A literal tough nut to crack, the Terrapin is the most heavily armored of the base-priced spacecraft on the market. Originally designed for long-range survey missions in dangerous star systems, the Terrapin’s design philosophy involves wrapping the ship in additional layers of armor and reserving a significant amount of engine power to host the largest shield generator in its class. Terrapins are popular among private miners, with an equipment mount and a small storage hold that can be converted for valuable minerals.

Zalusithix

Aegis Anvil Terrapin: A literal tough nut to crack, the Terrapin is the most heavily armored of the base-priced spacecraft on the market. Originally designed for long-range survey missions in dangerous star systems, the Terrapin’s design philosophy involves wrapping the ship in additional layers of armor and reserving a significant amount of engine power to host the largest shield generator in its class. Terrapins are popular among private miners, with an equipment mount and a small storage hold that can be converted for valuable minerals.
Updated that for ya,

Pretty sure my wallet is safe with this one. Unless it has radically changed in purpose, I don't really see a point in adding it to my fleet.

Edit: Org roster sheet updated to handle the Terrapin.

Zalusithix

Which ship would be a good starting point for a new space adventurer? Should I just go for the cheapest option?

That would depend on what you imagine yourself doing in the game, and how much money you're willing to part with. And by "part with", I mean potentially lose. The game's not finished, and the PU wont be any time soon. Any pledges should be made with that in mind and the acceptance that the whole project could outright fail entirely. I shouldn't have to state that, but I've seen too many people throwing money at the project without fully understanding the risks and realities of crowdfunding.

Rephin

Which ship would be a good starting point for a new space adventurer? Should I just go for the cheapest option?

The Mustang if you want to have more of a fighter and the Aurora if you want to do a little more of everything. The Aurora's kind of like a space Civic, it has less guns than the Mustang but you can carry a missile rack (for an additional cost, anyway) - plus you can even sleep in the rear, and it has cargo room. The Mustang is more agile and can carry more guns but no missiles.

Edit - As Zalusithix mentioned, I guess it depends on if you want to throw more money in, but between the two cheapest starter ships those are my thoughts. Plus you can buy any ship in the game with in-game currency once you start playing, so you don't NEED to spend any more than the starter package, but you COULD if you wanted to. Personally if I were to choose between the two I might side a little more with the Aurora unless combat really is your thing.

More Edit - Even if you choose the cheapest option, if you join an organization (like our fine GAF Org), you'll have plenty of opportunities to do other things like being crew for trade runs or being part of a larger ship's crew - we have 3 Idrises and a billion Starfarers and Carracks in the GAF org and volunteers for crew would always be welcome. You'll never be stuck with just Aurora or Mustang duty if you play your cards right.

Zabojnik

Cheapest option? What kind of madridista are you. Ask yourself - what would Florentino do?

Seriously though, you should probably get an Aurora LN package or an Avenger package.

Or better yet, wait for some of the other posters (who actually play the game :p) to chip in.

Pachimari

That would depend on what you imagine yourself doing in the game, and how much money you're willing to part with. And by "part with", I mean potentially lose. The game's not finished, and the PU wont be any time soon. Any pledges should be made with that in mind and the acceptance that the whole project could outright fail entirely. I shouldn't have to state that, but I've seen too many people throwing money at the project without fully understanding the risks and realities of crowdfunding.
Yeah, it's totally a crowdfunded game, so it can eventually fail, but it's the whole trip getting there together with the community and developers that is so enticing to me.

The Mustang if you want to have more of a fighter and the Aurora if you want to do a little more of everything. The Aurora's kind of like a space Civic, it has less guns than the Mustang but you can carry a missile rack (for an additional cost, anyway) - plus you can even sleep in the rear, and it has cargo room. The Mustang is more agile and can carry more guns but no missiles.

Edit - As Zalusithix mentioned, I guess it depends on if you want to throw more money in, but between the two cheapest starter ships those are my thoughts. Plus you can buy any ship in the game with in-game currency once you start playing, so you don't NEED to spend any more than the starter package, but you COULD if you wanted to. Personally if I were to choose between the two I might side a little more with the Aurora unless combat really is your thing.

More Edit - Even if you choose the cheapest option, if you join an organization (like our fine GAF Org), you'll have plenty of opportunities to do other things like being crew for trade runs or being part of a larger ship's crew - we have 3 Idrises and a billion Starfarers and Carracks in the GAF org and volunteers for crew would always be welcome. You'll never be stuck with just Aurora or Mustang duty if you play your cards right.
Thanks for this suggestion! I think as a start, I would go with the Aurora then, to get an overall feel, as I probably won't jump straight into combat. So, it is possible to earn in-game money?

Cheapest option? What kind of madridista are you. Ask yourself - what would Florentino do?

Seriously though, you should probably get an Aurora LN package or an Avenger package.

Or better yet, wait for some of the other posters (who actually play the game :p) to chip in.
This made me laugh haha. I'll be the Florentino of space and buy the most expensive package.

Zalusithix

Looks like a tough ship, but if it is only an armor personal carrier I would rather have a Redeemer ;)

Personally I still prefer the idea of the retrofitted Retaliator as a personnel carrier. Has ventral-mounted turrets to provide cover to the landing zone, in addition to dorsal-mounted ones to provide air deterrence. The large bay accommodates a large number of seats and an armory. The smaller bay can act as a hold for power armor or other such things to help the infantry.

The redeemer is more of a gunship that can perform dropship duties. Perhaps better suited for hotter insertions/extractions, but seems lacking in overall capacity and flexibility for major deployments.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The streamer definitely fell through the men's bathroom into space and had to come back in through the cargo door.

They're playing hide and seek instead of actual FPS combat, though, which is annoying.

Akronis

Sooo, are we gonna have a separate thread for the stream?
Dictator I'm looking at you

Those threads usually turn into half people that are interesting in the game and the other half that continue to call it a scam. I don't think another thread would be worth the amount of threadshitting.

Sooo, are we gonna have a separate thread for the stream?
Dictator I'm looking at you
Geist has this one :D
I am making a banner or two though
Those threads usually turn into half people that are interesting in the game and the other half that continue to call it a scam. I don't think another thread would be worth the amount of threadshitting.
Get ready for the painzone then
Yes, I'm putting one up an hour before the stream.
hells to the yes

I will have the banner to you within the next 2 hrs.

Yeah, no kidding. What's the purpose to separate the discussion anyways?

Rephin

Yeah, it's totally a crowdfunded game, so it can eventually fail, but it's the whole trip getting there together with the community and developers that is so enticing to me.

Thanks for this suggestion! I think as a start, I would go with the Aurora then, to get an overall feel, as I probably won't jump straight into combat. So, it is possible to earn in-game money?

Since the game is in Alpha, you can't earn any real UEC (Universal Earth Credits) yet. In Alpha 2.4.1 you can earn Alpha UEC which gets reset every time there's a major patch, so you can try out the shopping systems and such - right now it lets you buy guns and clothing. When the game actually launches, you can take your Aurora out and earn cash by doing jobs that NPCs assign you, like quests, eventually letting you buy new armaments and ships. Your ships will allow you to take on bigger and more lucrative roles. Alternatively, one of the guys with the bigger ships (like a lot of people in GAF Org) can take you on board one of their ships as a crew member and you can earn a wage or part of the job reward that way - you're not limited to what your starter ship can do if you want to try other things, and "human crew" as opposed to NPCs will always be more valuable and generally more reliable to the aspiring starship captain. I know I'm gonna need some able bodies when I set out into the darkness of the universe.

This made me laugh haha. I'll be the Florentino of space and buy the most expensive package.

You gotta beat Zalusithix first, he's Space Trump.
He's not Space Trump.

Zalusithix

Since the game is in Alpha, you can't earn any real UEC (Universal Earth Credits) yet. In Alpha 2.4.1 you can earn Alpha UEC which gets reset every time there's a major patch, so you can try out the shopping systems and such - right now it lets you buy guns and clothing. When the game actually launches, you can take your Aurora out and earn cash by doing jobs that NPCs assign you, like quests, eventually letting you buy new armaments and ships. Your ships will allow you to take on bigger and more lucrative roles. Alternatively, one of the guys with the bigger ships (like a lot of people in GAF Org) can take you on board one of their ships as a crew member and you can earn a wage or part of the job reward that way - you're not limited to what your starter ship can do if you want to try other things, and "human crew" as opposed to NPCs will always be more valuable and generally more reliable to the aspiring starship captain. I know I'm gonna need some able bodies when I set out into the darkness of the universe.
Yeah, there's going to be plenty of crew opportunities in the org. Heck, we're going to need people willing to work as crew as opposed to being off flying their own ship or we'll never get anything done. The larger ships will need more than AI running the show, and we have a number of them. We'll really need cheap ship-less packages for the PU when it launches so we can entice those looking to do something other than being a pilot.

You gotta beat Zalusithix first, he's Space Trump.
He's not Space Trump.

Oh god, anybody but Trump. Beyond the fact that I find him detestable, that wouldn't bode well for our org's chances of success. ;P

That said, I've slowed down a ton on expanding my fleet, so it's entirely possible that I'll be passed by one of the other major ship collectors within the next few sales.

Hastati

Kind of a weird/dumb question, but for those with many ships how do you envision your character's or your own position in the universe? This game lends itself well to partial roleplay, and I am feeling a disconnect with how I want to play and the ships I own (obviously you can choose not to use them, but I'd rather come up with a more elegant solution).

Zalusithix

This is so strange. It looks really low poly for SC.

There's some of strange things in the pic, but the poly count doesn't really strike me as one of them. It just has relatively clean lines without tons of micro-detail on the main body. A bit less busy than the typical RSI fare.

Super-calves on the one marine aside, the flap type things above the wheels are also odd. What purpose do they serve? They won't stop shit from being kicked up by the wheels. They don't look like they were designed to be sat on (despite the marine doing that) without any form of restraint. Even with a restraint, I wouldn't want to ride on one. I mean look at the tiny stalk serving as their base. No way they're meant to be load bearing.

Edit:
Kind of a weird/dumb question, but for those with many ships how do you envision your character's or your own position in the universe? This game lends itself well to partial roleplay, and I am feeling a disconnect with how I want to play and the ships I own (obviously you can choose not to use them, but I'd rather come up with a more elegant solution).
I'm not much into the roleplay side of things, but I view myself as simply being an enabler for the organization. I have ships that I regard as part of my personal fleet where they'll always remain fully under my control. Then I have my extended fleet where they'll be ideally distributed as needed to best serve the org. I'll still own them, but they won't be always be manned by me.

Rephin

Oh god, anybody but Trump. Beyond the fact that I find him detestable, that wouldn't bode well for our org's chances of success. ;P

That said, I've slowed down a ton on expanding my fleet, so it's entirely possible that I'll be passed by one of the other major ship collectors within the next few sales.

But you're the best. Simply the best. A fleet like no one else has, no one! Don't let those crooked captains from other orgs tell you otherwise. They're nothing but liars, believe me.

C'mon! Let's make the UEE great again! I believe you can do it!

Pachimari

I would love to be a crew member. I don't necessarily need to take out my own ship all of the time.

Is that a car vehicle? Are we gonna be able to drive around as well?

I hope they'll have a sale on the ships after the stream!

Top Bottom