• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

It used to only happen when you were out of breath just as an FYI. So after you sprint for a while.

BTW, are we making a gamescom thread at all with info after it hits / before the stream? Or should we keep to our little humble abode?

That is pretty brutal.

I spent some time the other day flying around Yela @ 700 m/s. It is quite the feeling to realise you are taking 10 mins just to get some place at those speeds. I love it :D

I think we should make a Gamescom thread.

KKRT00

That is pretty brutal.
(the sun is unreachable probably because it is in the skybox)

What is pretty brutal, is their planetary 'tech'. They actually lied about simulating planets in their interviews.

Planets do not move, planets do not rotate.
Sun is totally faked, it actually does not move when you are in space, but change its position when you are on the planet, relative to the planet and where you are as a player on the planet.
Shadows are generated by rotating 'sun' only for 1/5 of day, for the rest the shadows are static or move to change to its basic position.
Generally it works like that. The shadows move only by 90 degree, they do not change its length, so only rotate. When they they reach the 90 degree in the day, they stop moving. In the night they get crawl back to their initial day state. What is interesting that their starting position is not at the dawn, so they start moving after sun align to their position, before that, they are static.
Its a joke ;p

*If* they delay S42 to 2017? Oh my sweet Cabbage.

I'm expecting a delay for sure. I don't really feel all of the mechanics are refined enough at this point I guess. Especially since revamped FPS combat is only lurking around the corner. Honestly I feel like Holidays 2017 would be for the better since it gives that window to test some of these mechanics thoroughly and let the players give input too. I can totally understand why that would not sit well with a lot of people though.

What is pretty brutal, is their planetary 'tech'. They actually lied about simulating planets in their interviews.

Planets do not move, planets do not rotate.
Sun is totally faked, it actually does not move when you are in space, but change its position when you are on the planet, relative to the planet and where you are as a player on the planet.
Shadows are generated by rotating 'sun' only for 1/5 of day, for the rest the shadows are static or move to change to its basic position.
Generally it works like that. The shadows move only by 90 degree, they do not change its length, so only rotate. When they they reach the 90 degree in the day, they stop moving. In the night they get crawl back to their initial day state. What is interesting that their starting position is not at the dawn, so they start moving after sun align to their position, before that, they are static.
Its a joke ;p
This is way more limited than I imagined. Then again, they did never show cruising around the solar systems (or having planets be anywhere near semi-realistic distances from one another) or time of day transitions....

But damn... I was hoping that even if the core gameplay did not pan out that at least the sim-like procedural parts of the game would be more compelling and be more seamless :/

KKRT00

This is way more limited than I imagined. Then again, they did never show cruising around the solar systems (or having planets be anywhere near semi-realistic distances from one another) or time of day transitions....

But damn... I was hoping that even if the core gameplay did not pan out that at least the sim-like procedural parts of the game would be more compelling and be more seamless :/

The problem is that they actually confirmed multiple times that they are simulating rotation and planetary movement.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/3fnv7m/planet_orbit_and_rotation_confirmation/

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why don't you

tell us

how you really feel?

again.... and again....

I like how you went like many months into my past post history cause you got so upset by my comment (which is a fact, these events are big money drives for them.)

I also backed the game, and am entitled to my opinion of them.

I like how you went like many months into my past post history cause you got so upset by my comment (which is a fact, these events are big money drives for them.)

I also backed the game, and am entitled to my opinion of them.

Lol, I seem upset?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you don't need to back game to post one. Just pointing out how you seem one note. You may not post often, but it is seemingly in similar vein. Hence "tell me how you really feel" was a joke. You have already done so. Multiple times.

Lol, I seem upset?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you don't need to back game to post one. Just pointing out how you seem one note. You may not post often, but it is seemingly in similar vein. Hence "tell me how you really feel" was a joke. You have already done so. Multiple times.

Yeah he doesn't have much to add other then pointing out the obvious.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah he doesn't have much to add other then pointing out the obvious.

you know in your perplexing efforts to paint me as an enemy or something you all gloss over the fact that usually after one of their big stage show presentations im fairly positive on the project and post about it with everyone else, but i guess you guys are just getting your practice in for the threads in the coming weeks about 'Star Citizen makes another 5 million' or something where the evil anti-Roberts Industry folk post about how 'Derek was right all along!!!11111'

Zabojnik

you know in your perplexing efforts to paint me as an enemy or something you all gloss over the fact that usually after one of their big stage show presentations im fairly positive on the project and post about it with everyone else, but i guess you guys are just getting your practice in for the threads in the coming weeks about 'Star Citizen makes another 5 million' or something where the evil anti-Roberts Industry folk post about how 'Derek was right all along!!!11111'

Honestly, I think some of us are just sick of hearing it, one way or another, from one camp or the other. Especially since it's fairly obvious to anyone with a brain and the good will to do a bit of proper research that CIG are doing everything they can both when it comes to the development of the game and the funding aspect of it. There can't be one without the other.

That's the thing, there is very little effort being put forth that's the issue here. ;p

Also thanks for the practice...no enemies needed.

Been following this game since the beginning, sure everyone here knows what happens during and after Gamescom for CIG. Its the nature of the beast at this point, that 100 million+ ticker is being spent and allocated its not stagnate. Hope no one believes that CIG literally has 100 million dollar's sitting around, while working on the game concurrently.

While I find the trolling and uninformed posting in SC threads seperate from this one to be a real headache, I also think it is quite a bit of fun and informative for people who actually come into the thread with questions and real concerns / real interest.

IMO, we could do a thread just as it is starting?

PCGH put out their part of the article about their visit to F42 DE btw, some fan (google?) translations for you non-German speakers:
In Star Citizen damage can be added continuously and appear at locations where they would occur in real life, typically, for example in the magazine holder or the safety lever of a machine gun, for example, when the weapons models. For more authenticity, the generally very high polygon density makes in Star Citizen. More complex models of weapons, such as a be located at the time of our visit to work shoulder weapon for ship defense, consisting of over 60,000 triangles. For Relation: One of the very detailed main characters in The Witcher 3 is composed of about 40,000 polygons. For the smallest details such as small screws or writing in which polygons were too inefficient a complex 3D model is not created, and then generates from this a parallax map. This is finally applied by designers at the appropriate place, thus ensuring visual depth with subtleties, without the number of polygons to drift to astronomical heights.

They mention that they saw a number of Squadron 42 cutscene and characters that we have yet to see including scenes with the much discussed volumetric gas cloud tech.

edit: they also have the full resolution versions of most of the screens from the original PC games article, for example:
starcitizen_preview-shfp2y.jpg

While I find the trolling and uninformed posting in SC threads seperate from this one to be a real headache, I also think it is quite a bit of fun and informative for people who actually come into the thread with questions and real concerns / real interest.

PCGH put out their part of the article about their visit to F42 DE btw, some fan (google?) translations for you non-German speakers:

They mention that they saw a number of Squadron 42 cutscene and characters that we have yet to see including scenes with the much discussed volumetric gas cloud tech.

edit: they also have the full resolution versions of most of the screens from the original PC games article, for example:

Some impressive detail:
StarCitizen-Preview_BEHR_P8SC_07-pcgh.jpg

Zabojnik

I wonder if we'll (ever) get to see dense, cloudy atmospheres and proper mountains in SC, mist covered and all. I feel like flat-ish terrain has been a staple of random generated planets since forever. In games, at least. It's understandable, since you typically have (had?) to deal with planets that are much, much smaller than the real counterparts. A 8000m high mountain would probably stand out like a sore thumb.

The scale on display here gives me hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qfxU6kTD0

I really need to give that Outerra thing a go.

Txe0Rjx.jpg

gNqFoJP.jpg

I wonder if we'll (ever) get to see dense, cloudy atmospheres and proper mountains in SC, mist covered and all. I feel like flat-ish terrain has been a staple of random generated planets since forever. In games, at least. It's understandable, since you typically have (had?) to deal with planets that are much, much smaller than the real counterparts. A 8000m high mountain would probably stand out like a sore thumb.

The scale on display here gives me hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qfxU6kTD0

Txe0Rjx.jpg

gNqFoJP.jpg

The SC planet generation is based upon the work of Outerra (a direct reference honestly) and the work of Eric Bruneton. I imagine it will reach similar heights in scale, albeit with much better shading since it is CE (nice PBS vegetation).

Geist-

That Subsumption Editor screenshot is pretty cool.

That has to make mass-produced AI in the PU a hell of a lot easier.

I've noticed that AI dudes love to use OSX for their work.

If the hardware wasn't so damn expensive (for what you get) I'd use OS X too. I prefer it's interface to any Windows OS.

Back on topic. So, are we thinking 2.5 will get it's general release this week? I've stopped playing the PTU because I want to experience things that will remain until 2.6.

tuxfool

Banned
Interestingly enough, that does not seem to be the world generated terrain there that is being tessellated, but a rock asset placed into the terrain. Kinda cool.

It is curious. They seem to be going for a Frostbite-like approach on tessellating world objects near the camera. I suppose that they want to avoid over-tessellating the world.

Besides the Witcher 3 I've not seen any game tessellating the world mesh. And even there they do it very sparingly.

Any news on a release date for the next version number yet? I'm really looking forward to checking out my Reliant since I haven't had a small personal ship to myself in a long time now. I've traded in ships soooo many times at this point.

KKRT00

Any news on a release date for the next version number yet? I'm really looking forward to checking out my Reliant since I haven't had a small personal ship to myself in a long time now. I've traded in ships soooo many times at this point.

Probably after Gamescom, so early next week.

Please fix the fricken 'falling out of my ship after I've established a comlink' please. Fricken pisses me off when I float back to my 315...enter the open door to it...then immediately fall right through the ship.

IT'S FRICKEN ANNOYING.

I can deal with the other glitches, but that is simply unbearable.

Zabojnik

Please fix the fricken 'falling out of my ship after I've established a comlink' please. Fricken pisses me off when I float back to my 315...enter the open door to it...then immediately fall right through the ship.

IT'S FRICKEN ANNOYING.

I can deal with the other glitches, but that is simply unbearable.

Just think of it as a feature.

Outerra is actually really cool, when I first downloaded it I expected to just zoom in and out and be done with it, but I ended up flying around with the free camera for hours and hours.

Best "Superman" simulator out there lol, can't imagine what it's like zipping through the Himalayas and out of the atmosphere in VR.

So clearly it's been a while since I've visited the other modules for this game. I ducked my head into the hangar and realized that I don't really know how to work it anymore. I found how to spawn my reliant at a size 3 slot and it's as awesome as I expected, but I couldn't figure out how to open other bays and spawn my Connie. Any pointers?

I think it's time to check in on Arc Corp as well and see if there's anything new in there. Hopefully in a few more builds we'll have enough content to start racking up credits for use on purchases rather than rentals, although I'd understand if they wanted to refrain from that until the PU is fully released.

Zalusithix

So clearly it's been a while since I've visited the other modules for this game. I ducked my head into the hangar and realized that I don't really know how to work it anymore. I found how to spawn my reliant at a size 3 slot and it's as awesome as I expected, but I couldn't figure out how to open other bays and spawn my Connie. Any pointers?

I think it's time to check in on Arc Corp as well and see if there's anything new in there. Hopefully in a few more builds we'll have enough content to start racking up credits for use on purchases rather than rentals, although I'd understand if they wanted to refrain from that until the PU is fully released.

There are no other bays. Just your one huge one. You can spawn multiple ships in that bay though, where the number of ships is dependent on the size of the ships.

There's a bunch of markers on the floor in different positions where each is set to a specific size class. You can spawn 6 small ships (3 per side), 4 medium ones (2 per side), 2 large ones (1 per side), or one huge one (Starfarer, center). Finding where exactly each marker is can be a PITA though. Perhaps there's a way to make them all light up in the HUD, but I've just run around looking at the floor until they pop. Helps when you know roughly where they should be, but the first time is a royal pain.

There are no other bays. Just your one huge one. You can spawn multiple ships in that bay though, where the number of ships is dependent on the size of the ships.

There's a bunch of markers on the floor in different positions where each is set to a specific size class. You can spawn 6 small ships (3 per side), 4 medium ones (2 per side), 2 large ones (1 per side), or one huge one (Starfarer, center). Finding where exactly each marker is can be a PITA though. Perhaps there's a way to make them all light up in the HUD, but I've just run around looking at the floor until they pop. Helps when you know roughly where they should be, but the first time is a royal pain.

Yeah it's really counter intuitive right now. I like the idea however since it allows you to customize your hangar too. Hopefully it's just the start of a deeper system to come.

Damn they've made strides in other areas though. Just took a trip to Arc Corp and realized I can buy clothes and weapons and I'd somehow bypassed a store on Port Olisar too. Actually managed to complete a few missions before it crashed too and it got pretty hectic. Started with me jumping into a system where a player was under attack and trying to help him and ended with about 6 of us all travelling together to the next point for a war with 10+ pirates. It's the first time I've really felt that it's all starting to come together.

Now though I really need to start working out what my controller will be since I figure this is pretty much the flight model we'll be getting. I really want to use my HOTAS but I always feel at a slight disadvantage with it. Is there a consensus on which is best? Is M+K still superior in basically every way?

Wait...so Gamescom starts at 3am PST tomorrow morning but we won't hear the presentation until Friday!?!

I assume they would want to get 2.5 out to the general release before they get hammered with new backers after their presentation.

Does everything we've purchased in 2.4.1 carry over to 2.5, or are those coins/clothes/weapons just gone? (sorry if this has been answered before).

Some ships are limited to specific hangers for now as well.

My 315 is locked to a hanger. My Freelancer is locked to a hanger. Other ships aren't tied to a specific hanger and can be paired with the ones that ARE locked as long as there is space to fit more than one ship.

imo, this is also frustrating, but I guess it's the price of this being early alpha.

So...we can carry the clips in Olisar, but not the guns. Gotcha.
StarCitizenbig.jpg

Top Bottom