• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

jaaz

You guys are making it worse by drawing more attention to it and filling up pages with his posts and quotes.

As someone who doesn't follow this thread too closely, I opened it up to a page full of shitposting. If I was a new player, I'd nope the fuck outta here and never look back.

This happens in just about every OT on GAF. If correcting the misrepresentation and lies vomited by a troll on a regular basis is all it took to drive a new player from a thread, there wouldn't be any new players on GAF at all. I'd like to think new players are a bit less snow-flaky than that.

I'd rather correct a troll's misrepresentations and lies, but otherwise not engage the troll, over letting the troll have free rein to spread his or her crap in an OT..

jaaz

Get the Constellation. Best looking ship for me. Will be my main when the game launch.

I have to say, it handles a little bit like a cow at the moment, but damn isn't it beautiful. Many of us on here have several ships, so if anyone wants to try a ship before buying it, join our Org and perhaps we can schedule a time to join a server together, where we can loan you the ship and you can try it out first.

There's also free-fly periods every once in awhile, with Gamescom in late August probably the next one.

Rephin

I have to say, it handles a little bit like a cow at the moment, but damn isn't it beautiful. Many of us on here have several ships, so if anyone wants to try a ship before buying it, join our Org and perhaps we can schedule a time to join a server together, where we can loan you the ship and you can try it out first.

There's also free-fly periods every once in awhile, with Gamescom in late August probably the next one.
This. I'm more than willing to let people fly
wreck
my ships. Just contact me.

Slayven

I was checking to see if I still had one of those Aurora $35 complete game packages from way back, but I'm not seeing it :(

I think I actually liquidated it... Which is supremely stupid.

I appreacite the thought man

But you like Sucker Punch.......

Yeah send me the money and i will reimburse you

Hey Slayvern!!!

Like... the Zach Snyder film?

giphy.gif

iHaunter

I was checking to see if I still had one of those Aurora $35 complete game packages from way back, but I'm not seeing it :(

Hey Slayvern!!!

giphy.gif

They did another Coin round for rebuying old packages.

Slayven

Hey Slayvern!!!

giphy.gif

Yes, i have revealed his secret shame

Zalusithix

Will there be an advantage to buying now oppose to later? Thinking of saving my pennies for one of the cool packages.

Hot take: The Exploration type ships look cooler to me then the fighter types.

Get a cheap base package for the game. If you decide later that you want to drop money on any of the more expensive ships, you'll want to get them as stand-alone ships with LTI (life time insurance). LTI is typically only available at the original concept sale for a ship, but it can be obtained later by upgrading cheaper ships that have LTI like the recent Nox sale. Granted that sale is over, but there will be future concept sales, and even with the Nox, there's plenty of them stockpiled - even within our org.
The $35 SQ42/Aurora package.
Yep, all the reduced cost base packages that go on sale are dead the second you melt them.

Yep, all the reduced cost base packages that go on sale are dead the second you melt them.

Indeed, As addressed in the link in my post.

Next, there are a few additional restrictions on what can, and cannot be unmelted for ships and packages.

You can only unmelt ships/packages that do not fall under one of these three conditions:

1. Packages that contain physical items
2. Packages that were limited
3. Packages that were part of a special discounted offer

If the ship or package you want to melt falls under one one of the above conditions, you cannot unmelt it!

So thats the catch to the BB system. The special stuff you can buy back are like items that were in the military sale, or anniversary sales. The limitation is availability and not numerical or discounted. Legacy things such as ACpass do not work either (it really isn't even needed anymore).

That was before they decided to have fully landable planets.

It's like your intentionally either being ignorant or just flat out lying. Landing zones were changed from RAILS to being inserted on full planets.

I prefer the latter. With every post you prove you're either intentionally misleading or just lying.

Hi iHaunter, I think you're very rude and aggressive towards people in this thread who have a better grasp of the game than you.

Like I stumbled across this post where someone lays out some good predictions that nail the release dates for 2.6 and 3.0, and if anything are a bit too generous towards SQ42, and if you click through you tell him to fuck off and call him a professional shitposter. Not only is that completely unwarranted, it makes you look delusional.

did you see just how broken 2.6 is? add another 4-6 months for 3.0.

2.6 - Christmas or early Jan

3.0 - June - Sept

SQ42 - December 2017

So there's likely to be a new sale up soon, right? I still only have the Aurora from the Kickstarter package, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for something that better fits what I'm looking for (I'm not sure the ship I want exists yet): single player planetary exploration gameplay, where I scan for interesting locations from space or the atmosphere, then land, hop on my dragonfly/nox, and spend hours exploring the planet surface.

I REALLY wanted the Terrapin to be the ship for this, since it looks like the perfect size, but despite the text description suggesting cargo hold space is absolutely essential for everything the ship is designed or retrofitted to do (cargo drops and emergency evacs in war zones sounds awesome) apparently this ship has absolutely ZERO cargo space altogether, let alone enough space to store a dragonfly/nox? How did they mess that up?

I'm an ecologist irl. I survey fauna and flora for a living to compose detailed population and health reports on various environments. I would love to do the same in Star Citizen, hence looking for a solo ship and dragonfly/nox combo to support this =)

I'm surprised how little discussion the 5-10 systems thing is getting, it basically overhauls every aspect of the game.

How do you exploration when every system has 200,000 players and 2 million NPCs? How many economic nodes will each of those systems have for the economy? What does piracy look like when players are that bunched together, or bounty hunting? What does this do to the concept of ship rarity when there are thousands of Idrises per system? How do you fit all the factions and alien races with their own territory in that many systems? Nil, nada discussion. Just more Stockholm Syndrome "this is actually good for Star Citizen" justification.

3MbPEy1.png

How are those Operation Pitchfork guys who have been theorycrafting for four and a half years about invading Vanduul space coping?

I've got about 15 to 20 ships...pretty much everything but Javelin class.

Looking forward to trying them all out, maybe renting a few, letting the org use a few, etc. no idea which will be my fav...I'm strangely interested in mining and salvage the most.

I'm surprised how little discussion the 5-10 systems thing is getting, it basically overhauls every aspect of the game.

How do you exploration when every system has 200,000 players and 2 million NPCs? How many economic nodes will each of those systems have for the economy? What does piracy look like when players are that bunched together, or bounty hunting? What does this do to the concept of ship rarity when there are thousands of Idrises per system? How do you fit all the factions and alien races with their own territory in that many systems? Nil, nada discussion. Just more Stockholm Syndrome "this is actually good for Star Citizen" justification.

3MbPEy1.png

How are those Operation Pitchfork guys who have been theorycrafting for four and a half years about invading Vanduul space coping?

Have you played Elite Dangerous? If it means I won't get another mile wide, inch deep space sim than I say they pivoted correctly.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

http://i.imgur.com/3MbPEy1.png

"Shit happens". A minimum viable product is still viable. Make a thread if you're looking for a bigger reaction.

Regarding the numbers, you'd have a corresponding reduction in NPC counts. Good question about the player density - if they really need to relieve player density, I'd go with adding some barebones placeholder systems with cookie cutter stations until they finish building them out. Same thing for exploration - finding relatively boring repeatable things like rich asteroids instead of cool unique planets.

Of course people are disappointed by the news.

elyetis

Biggest fear when it comes to number of systems is exploration. Most other aspect of the game could probably work well at a smaller scale, thought the higher player density could have beneficial and/or negative impact on the experience.

But it seems it would be hard to keep exploration engaging very long if it's too small ( even if imho elite did show that size alone isnt enough either ), and that each new release of a new system would only lead to a big rush there, which doesn't seems much very fun either.

Regarding the numbers, you'd have a corresponding reduction in NPC counts. Good question about the player density - if they really need to relieve player density, I'd go with adding some barebones placeholder systems with cookie cutter stations until they finish building them out. Same thing for exploration - finding relatively boring repeatable things like rich asteroids instead of cool unique planets.

Of course people are disappointed by the news.

Cookie cutter, boring, barebones, disappointed... doesn't sound like you're very excited about the game Star Citizen is going to be, maybe you should get a refund, Citizen?

Rephin

So there's likely to be a new sale up soon, right? I still only have the Aurora from the Kickstarter package, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for something that better fits what I'm looking for (I'm not sure the ship I want exists yet): single player planetary exploration gameplay, where I scan for interesting locations from space or the atmosphere, then land, hop on my dragonfly/nox, and spend hours exploring the planet surface.

I REALLY wanted the Terrapin to be the ship for this, since it looks like the perfect size, but despite the text description suggesting cargo hold space is absolutely essential for everything the ship is designed or retrofitted to do (cargo drops and emergency evacs in war zones sounds awesome) apparently this ship has absolutely ZERO cargo space altogether, let alone enough space to store a dragonfly/nox? How did they mess that up?

I'm an ecologist irl. I survey fauna and flora for a living to compose detailed population and health reports on various environments. I would love to do the same in Star Citizen, hence looking for a solo ship and dragonfly/nox combo to support this =)
Best bets are probably a Freelancer DUR or Constellation Aquilla. Both have advanced sensor suites and expansive cargo spaces. They are multicrew ships, yes, but can still be used by one person (less efficiently) and have enough room for a Dragonfly (we've seen the Freelancer deploy one in a demo). The Constellation Aquilla has an Ursa Rover if you want to save money on a bike for exploration as well.

The Terrapin was never going to be big enough to fit a Dragonfly or Nox, it's not even bigger than most fighters according to specs. It's barely enough room for the two people inside.

The Terrapin was never going to be big enough to fit a Dragonfly or Nox, it's not even bigger than most fighters according to specs. It's barely enough room for the two people inside.

That's my issue with it. I don't understand who it appeals to? Great for exploration... but no dragonfly. It's popularly used to evacuate soldiers from warzones... but you can't actually do that because there's no room for anyone to stand, let alone cargo space to retrofit with seats. It can scan for points of interest from further away than any other ship... but there's literally nothing you can store on board from those locations. I have no idea what they're thinking with this ship design. It looks amazing, but it desperately needs some kind of cargo space to be useful for anything other than scouting and recon. That's literally the only suggested use it can actually accomplish.

Regarding multi-crew, does that mean NPCs? I think I would be up for that if there were some amazing companions in the game, at which point the Carrack becomes genuinely exciting as a Mass Effect style exploration ship. But until I see fully fleshed out companions like that... I'm always going to want a small solo ship with a dragonfly/nox for the ultimate solo exploration experience. It baffles me that a ship catering to this playstyle doesn't exist yet.

A Terrapin with just enough cargo space to fit a dragonfly (but no space for anything else), or seats for hot approaches into warzones for emergency evacs thanks to the armour of the ship (but no space for anything else), or use that small cargo space for salvage from exploration or for dropping medical and aid supplies into warzones (but no space for anything else), would seal the deal on this ship and make it perfect. I really wish they'd rethink the design, because right now I can't see it being used once the honeymoon period is over after it becomes playable. Zero cargo space is a baffling decision from both a lore and a gameplay perspective. Maybe they could make a Terrapin XL or something?

Rephin

That's my issue with it. I don't understand who it appeals to? Great for exploration... but no dragonfly. It's popularly used to evacuate soldiers from warzones... but you can't actually do that because there's no room for anyone to stand, let alone cargo space to retrofit with seats. It can scan for points of interest from further away than any other ship... but there's literally nothing you can store on board from those locations. I have no idea what they're thinking with this ship design. It looks amazing, but it desperately needs some kind of cargo space to be useful for anything other than scouting and recon. That's literally the only suggested use it can actually accomplish.

Regarding multi-crew, does that mean NPCs? I think I would be up for that if there were some amazing companions in the game, at which point the Carrack becomes genuinely exciting as a Mass Effect style exploration ship. But until I see fully fleshed out companions like that... I'm always going to want a small solo ship with a dragonfly/nox for the ultimate solo exploration experience. It baffles me that a ship catering to this playstyle doesn't exist yet.

A Terrapin with just enough cargo space to fit a dragonfly (but no space for anything else), or seats for hot approaches into warzones for emergency evacs thanks to the armour of the ship (but no space for anything else), or use that small cargo space for salvage from exploration or for dropping medical and aid supplies into warzones (but no space for anything else), would seal the deal on this ship and make it perfect. I really wish they'd rethink the design, because right now I can't see it being used once the honeymoon period is over after it becomes playable. Zero cargo space is a baffling decision from both a lore and a gameplay perspective. Maybe they could make a Terrapin XL or something?
Yeah, the Terrapin is more of a durable recon ship more than anything. It's not meant for expansive surveying but can act as support for ships that are, perhaps as part of a fleet with more dedicated exploration, salvage, or mining options, or even as part of a more combat focused expedition.

Multi-crew refers to having more than one person on board, whether it's friends, AI, Org members, or others. AI has not been fleshed out at all yet, and seeing as this is more of a social game, the slots are really there for others to have adventures with you. That being said, there really is no reason you can't just strike out on your own with a Freelancer DUR - it really doesn't need the extra crew (although it holds up to four) and you can do most things by yourself. The extra crew is probably more needed for loading and unloading cargo. The DUR is just big enough to hold a bike. Literally, it's the smallest class of ship that can do that right now. It's not a huge ship, it's kind of like a space U-Haul. It has those exploration options you're looking at, plus has a decent defensive loadout and can fit into the smallest wormholes it can scan for.

That being said, you can always wait to see if CIG makes a ship that fits your needs better. I'm not sure if anything like that is in the pipeline.

jaaz

The Terrapin is indeed a bit of an enigma at the moment. I think part of that is because we haven't yet seen how scanning will work in the game, or how it important of a mechanic it might turn out to be. The way it sounds, the Terrapin will have a stronger scanning suite than just about any other ship other than the Endeavor.

The final Terrapin should also include a little unsecured space to store cargo, but nothing anywhere near the space required to store a Dragonfly or Nox. As of right now it doesn't even include a second bed for your crew mate (likely necessary for both of you to log out of he game) or any place for an injured person to be placed, despite its secondary role as a S&R ship.

It's a shame as this is turning out to be, my opinion, one of the coolest ships in SC. And with its long range and defensive capabilities, it highly appeals to solo explorers wanting to explore the farthest reaches of the universe for weeks on end.

I am still hopeful that the final version will address some of these issues. They've showed the nearly finished exterior many times, but not the interior to my knowledge, so let's see. We should see it in 3.1.

Zalusithix

The Terrapin is indeed a bit of an enigma at the moment. I think part of that is because we haven't yet seen how scanning will work in the game, or how it important of a mechanic it might turn out to be. The way it sounds, the Terrapin will have a stronger scanning suite than just about any other ship other than the Endeavor.
I expect the Terrapin to have good scanning, but the best this side of the Endeavor? Nah. I fully expect something like the Carrack to beat it along with Idris and up cap ships. The Terrapin is supposed to have a great scanning array, but you have to factor that against the size of the ship itself. It might be a massive array for such a small ship, but it would be far less impressive when placed on a large ship. The Terrapin's strong point for that sort of stuff will likely be active scanning away from the main fleet (so as to not give away exact fleet position at a distance), and "stealth" passive scanning closer to hostiles (since it's less likely to be detected by mass).

jaaz

I expect the Terrapin to have good scanning, but the best this side of the Endeavor? Nah. I fully expect something like the Carrack to beat it along with Idris and up cap ships. The Terrapin is supposed to have a great scanning array, but you have to factor that against the size of the ship itself. It might be a massive array for such a small ship, but it would be far less impressive when placed on a large ship. The Terrapin's strong point for that sort of stuff will likely be active scanning away from the main fleet (so as to not give away exact fleet position at a distance), and "stealth" passive scanning closer to hostiles (since it's less likely to be detected by mass).

Could very well be, which would make it even more niche. I was mostly going by CIG's description in the Terrapin brochure and the Q&As, which glowingly describe the Terrapin's scanning capabilities. But of course that could be relative to ship size as you mentioned. The larger ships may well have better scanning capabilities, but as we know will require a full crew to operate effectively at a high cost. Perhaps that's where the Terrapin will shine, allowing a one to two person team to inexpensively conduct scanning and recon operations that equal or come close to those performed by a multi-crew ship at a much higher cost.

renzolama

I'll throw another point of support here for RubberJohnny.

Some people in this thread may not like what he has to say, but as someone who's been cautiously excited about this project since 2012 it's nice to see someone responding regularly who hasn't simply normalized and then immediately forgotten/ignored every inconvenient bit of news and info from CIG over the past half-decade. From the discussions I've read here recently, I don't see any real justification for calling him a troll and ban-wishing aside from disliking his opinions about the game development/status and wanting them to go away. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture/history here, but the personal attacks from some of you in response to his reasonably written statements look pretty embarrassing and unjustified from an outside perspective.

Edit: I'm really not trying to stir up further controversy/confrontation, I just legitimately don't understand the negativity around what seems like a reasonable conversation to me

Also because of the focus on defense I could see if the terrapin is able to get to more dangerous locations to scan versus other ships. As mentioned in the brochure "hostile elements" seemed to be more than just other ships.

I'll throw another point of support here for RubberJohnny.

Some people in this thread may not like what he has to say, but as someone who's been cautiously excited about this project since 2012 it's nice to see someone responding regularly who hasn't simply normalized and then immediately forgotten/ignored every inconvenient bit of news and info from CIG over the past half-decade. From the discussions I've read here recently, I don't see any real justification for calling him a troll and ban-wishing aside from disliking his opinions about the game development/status and wanting them to go away. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture/history here, but the personal attacks from some of you in response to his reasonably written statements look pretty embarrassing and unjustified from an outside perspective.

Well years of being negative, blatantly saying misleading and incorrect things. Even after being corrected, doesn't acknowledge it and moves to another point of misinformation. Even mods in this thread talked about it.

There is one thing to have an opposing opinion it is another to constantly be misleading. In addition to this. He is a member that post in a thread from the Something Aweful Forum titled " Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity"

In which he posts..

As part of G0RFs project to dispirit the SC backers by collecting evidence out that it's never coming out I decided to go through Reverse the Verse and create a list of every feature so we can point out just how much is left to be implemented. Although I'm not going to watch them myself, and just use INNs transcripts - but even reading those is terrible and kills me.

- They talk about fast food all the time goddamn they're fat fucks
- So much of the running time is updates on various ships that don't have anything but names or art, like 15 minutes every week - this "game" is just spaceship masturbation.
- They repeat so much from week to week, like the same updates on the same topics for four weeks in a row. Does anything get done?

The most damning things so far hasn't been features, it's that back in August they mentioned ArcCorp and Nyx were the only two landing zones nearly done, with only three more partially developed in total, for 5/100. This game is never coming out.

And in other forum Derek Smart Vs Star Citizen

Derek Smart was right on everything:

1) They are going to show the opening cut-scene sequence for SQ42 with Gary Oldman giving his speech, someone flying and landing, NPCs waving etc.

2) They are going to show Star Marine. Again. It's still a mess - and nowhere ready for production release. Reports tell me that if it gets released before year end, it would be a miracle.

3) They are going to show multi-crew. Again. Problem now is that, as of the last report I got, it doesn't run smoothly at all. And so they are now running the demo on super computers with 16 cores, loads of memory etc. Again, not production release ready.

4) And a new ship. Rumored to be the Vindicator fighter priced at $175. Heavier than a Super Hornet

There is nothing new being released to backers, other than another AC patch apparently.

They showed the FPS but then everyone wandered around and just fled without killing anyone. The multicrew demo ran at 15fps and lagged out with four players (and then crashed after someone got a shoulder stuck in an elevator). Then they dropped the ship price by $5 just to spite him LOL

#TeamDerek

So even if you couldn't notice the obvious slants over years of posting or thread making, he basically admits in offsite communities that not only seemingly dislikes Star Citizen but specifically has made it a goal to "dispirit the SC backers".

So to be honest, That is why I ignored him and if you are a "backer" who comes in to defend someone despite putting forth misleading information and being corrected. Then I am going to ignore that type of backer as well. Spreading FUD and being misleading is not an innocent contrarian point of view. And it is utter nonsense that people would even take that stance.

This is honestly the last time I talk about this, because it is a waste of time and energy.

EDIT: Sorry for the Double post, but I felt this response needed to stand by itself. But the timing of all this, when mentioning active trolls in this thread, never ceases to get boring.

renzolama

Well years of being negative, blatantly saying misleading and incorrect things. Even after being corrected, doesn't acknowledge it and moves to another point of misinformation. Even mods in this thread talked about it.

There is one thing to have an opposing opinion it is another to constantly be misleading. In addition to this. He is a member that post in a thread from the Something Aweful Forum titled " Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity"

In which he posts..

And in other forum Derek Smart Vs Star Citizen

So even if you couldn't notice the obvious slants over years of posting or thread making, he basically admits in offsite communities that not only seemingly dislikes Star Citizen but specifically has made it a goal to "dispirit the SC backers".

So to be honest, That is why I ignored him and if you are a "backer" who comes in to defend someone despite putting forth misleading information and being corrected. Then I am going to ignore that type of backer as well. Spreading FUD and being misleading is not an innocent contrarian point of view. And it is utter nonsense that people would even take that stance.

This is honestly the last time I talk about this, because it is a waste of time and energy.

EDIT: Sorry for the Double post, but I felt this response needed to stand by itself. But the timing of all this, when mentioning active trolls in this thread, never ceases to get boring.

Well, I appreciate the considered response, for what it's worth. As I said, I'm certainly not a regular enough reader to see the big picture history of thread interactions over that time-frame, but I am someone who's interested in staying informed on the realities of Star Citizen development regardless of whether those may be positive or negative at any given moment. That's become increasingly hard to do over the past couple years, so I guess it just feels unfortunate to see people huddling into camps of extremism on either side rather than being open to reasonably-framed discussion. I guess maybe that's the nature of long-term, expensive, high-visibility projects in any domain though.

Well, I appreciate the considered response, for what it's worth. As I said, I'm certainly not a regular enough reader to see the big picture history of thread interactions over that time-frame, but I am someone who's interested in staying informed on the realities of Star Citizen development regardless of whether those may be positive or negative at any given moment. That's become increasingly hard to do over the past couple years, so I guess it just feels unfortunate to see people huddling into camps of extremism on either side rather than being open to reasonably-framed discussion. I guess maybe that's the nature of long-term, expensive, high-visibility projects in any domain though.

The part that I don't understand is the camp that has formed behind Smart. Being a backer and wanting the game faster is one thing. But smart just wants the game to fail. Maybe because his games aren't received well at all.

But backers should look for more information, even on reddit there are Project Watches and Global project watches. Which detail the issues resolved at each update and also feature completion green boxes. Added to the information that cig s releasing it should paint an easier view of what is happening, which features are delaying full release and why they are important.

The thing about the concentrated effort behind the likes of RJ and others is not to sway the informed people, but to sway the least informed. Those that do not check up constantly or possibly do not care about the details. But people repeating themselves over and over for years and dealing with FUD and silly statements gets tiring. So I decided to stop because no matter what happens, the release of the SC iterations will speak the loudest and only the trolls would have wasted their time. I guess some people have nothing better to do.

Taranis

Neo Member
Biggest fear when it comes to number of systems is exploration. Most other aspect of the game could probably work well at a smaller scale, thought the higher player density could have beneficial and/or negative impact on the experience.

But it seems it would be hard to keep exploration engaging very long if it's too small ( even if imho elite did show that size alone isnt enough either ), and that each new release of a new system would only lead to a big rush there, which doesn't seems much very fun either.

Originally, much of the content for exploration was set for release post-launch. With their procedural generation tech making headway faster than originally planned, you'll have more to explore once the game launches than you would've when 200 systems was the goal for launch. Plus, the sheer size of the each system should hopefully give us enough space for procedural and bespoke content.

Dmax3901

Which is fine, but rubberjohnny ain't the best way to do that.

Top Bottom