• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Shaneus

Anyone here who pledged on Kickstarter?

Please take your time to read the following thread before giving no referral at all:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/about-that-free-beer/
Um, that's fucking *awesome* that you basically got Roberts' endorsement!

So if I'm putting my referrer in on the RSI website, do I just put "void-singer" as said referrer? I'm at work so I can't dwell too much on non work-related forums :/

Edit: I can't see that option anymore. I could've sworn it was there only a few days ago!

Hana-Bi

Just an update from Chris concerning pledge / grace period:

Chris Roberts said:
I’m sorry to see that people got confused, but it understandable with all the craziness at the end of the campaign.

The concept of the grace period was that anyone that was already a member on the RSI site BEFORE the campaign ended would have a grace period to pledge (there are quite a few members that haven’t pledged) or buy the limited tiers add-ons at the original prices including all the benefits of being an initial backer like lifetime insurance.

There was a brief period where the web guys had switched to the new pricing structure before the check against existing members was put in place so it is possible you paid the new prices for a tier / ship. If this happened to you please email sandi@cloudimperiumgames.com

If you weren’t a member of RSI before the campaign ended under the current policy you are meant to pay to the higher amounts and not get the same benefit as the early pledgers.

BUT as it looks like people didn’t realize this, I don’t like punishing anyone that is kind enough to back this project and I don’t think the community will mind I’m going to make lifetime insurance apply to EVERYBODY that buys a ship through this weekend until Monday morning. I’ve also asked the web guys to remove the existing member check so everyone will get the initial prices, but as its Thanksgiving today this wont happen until tomorrow. What we will do for everyone that had pledged at the higher prices this week is give them the balance as a credit that can be applied to other packages or add-ons.

We’re building the backend and an interface for this which it will take a while to implement as this is non trivial. We need it for all the Kickstarter members so they can specify their add-ons if they added on funds above the base tier. This should also allow you to adjust your packages and tiers if you so desire. Any surplus in monies will be a credit for you to apply to current add-ons or any future ones (like mugs, bomber jackets etc.)

I hope this helps out / clears things up,

Chris

So now everybody will have the chance to pledge and get lifetime insurance for the pledged ships till sunday.

Zabojnik

So now everybody will have the chance to pledge and get lifetime insurance for the pledged ships till sunday.

Seems like the fair thing to do, considering some people had trouble even just registering on the last day. COME ON SEVEN MILLION!

Xane

Um, that's fucking *awesome* that you basically got Roberts' endorsement!

So if I'm putting my referrer in on the RSI website, do I just put "void-singer" as said referrer? I'm at work so I can't dwell too much on non work-related forums :/

Edit: I can't see that option anymore. I could've sworn it was there only a few days ago!

"Add Original Referrer"
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/account/

Every contribution is appreciated and helps us reach our goal.
We've been in touch with Eric and Chris about that too, while they love the idea, it might not be in day 1, obviously. Already so much planned for the game.
Still, our virtual chatroom will be a reality sooner or later and we're just already planning all the infrastructure.

gamma

Jesus, I just can't wait for this game. The 2 years are going to be tough. And I've never played any of the Wing Commander games too.

CTLance

Curious sidenote: Space games, space games everywhere!

Being the obnoxious internet stalker that I am, I couldn't really ignore kickstarters' open policy on comments.

Thus, I stumbled upon this little gem:
@Josh: I'm very impressed - great stuff - especially as you've done all this solo.
I'd try to hire you to make Star Citizen even better but something tells me you're going to get funded and you need to make this game! So I decided to back you instead :)
You want any advice or help give me a call (my backer email is my main work email).
I'm very happy so many great looking space games are in the works.
All the best,
Chris
Such a classy guy, that Mr Roberts.

The project in question is Limit Theory, a procedurally generated Spaceship game. One whose trailer features quite pleasing music, at least to my ears. Certainly ambitious stuff, to boot.

Also, in completely unrelated news, I'm going to be bankrupt if this continues. Who needs food and housing, anyway.

Ledsen

Being the obnoxious internet stalker that I am, I couldn't really ignore kickstarters' open policy on comments.

The project in question is Limit Theory, a procedurally generated Spaceship game. One whose trailer features quite pleasing music, at least to my ears. Certainly ambitious stuff, to boot.

Also, in completely unrelated news, I'm going to be bankrupt if this continues. Who needs food and housing, anyway.

That kid makes me feel like the most useless person in the world. Holy shit. And he's only 20? What am I doing with my life...

Shit, he is my age and making good lookin' vidya... Need to get off my ass and dust off my design documents.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I will buy the retail, I'm a little short on cash now.

Izayoi

Banned
That kid makes me feel like the most useless person in the world. Holy shit. And he's only 20? What am I doing with my life...
Just think, where would all of these brilliant kids be without us old folk purchasing and enjoying their games? You serve a purpose, too!

CTLance

Procedural is way to save a lot of money and manhours.
Eh, standard "cheapo" procedural generation? Yes. However, tweaking the "random" number generator and all the different algorithms that massage those numbers until most observable outcomes are fun and diverse for the player is quite a bit of work. Just ask e.g. the devs behind Torchlight or Diablo.

I am very much looking forward to Elite and Limit Theory, but there is a risk they will have a clean/sterile feel to them that will be missing from e.g. the "handcrafted" systems found in Star Citizen.

Perkel

Banned
Eh, standard "cheapo" procedural generation? Yes. However, tweaking the "random" number generator and all the different algorithms that massage those numbers until most observable outcomes are fun and diverse for the player is quite a bit of work. Just ask e.g. the devs behind Torchlight or Diablo.

I am very much looking forward to Elite and Limit Theory, but there is a risk they will have a clean/sterile feel to them that will be missing from e.g. the "handcrafted" systems found in Star Citizen.

Sure what you said it is hard work but still amount of work needed to create vast spaces/envivorment is way cheaper than full team of people creating assets.

The bigger scale the more hour needs to be put into world creation by assets and cheaper procedural generation is.

Ianan

Nice! Pledging right away! :)

I was just wondering about the subscription option, does every month of donation go towards one of the packages? For example, if I donated every month and eventually totaled $250, would that also give me the $250 package?

Babalu.

Nice! Pledging right away! :)

I was just wondering about the subscription option, does every month of donation go towards one of the packages? For example, if I donated every month and eventually totaled $250, would that also give me the $250 package?

I wish. But i'm 98% sure that it does not.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought the 35 dollar pldge. I guess that gets me the game and a ship or something? I was a little confused. I can buy other ships with in game credits later, right?

Xane

I bought the 35 dollar pldge. I guess that gets me the game and a ship or something? I was a little confused. I can buy other ships with in game credits later, right?

Of course you can. There will be no Pay2Win anywhere ingame. Everything is attainable by either investing time or money.

Xane

Theoretically it is pay 2 win before the game launches right? Because you can buy ships on the page IIRC.

"Pay 2 Win" implies that you have to pay in order to stay competitive.
Which is not the fact in Star Citizen. Everything is obtainable by playing the game.

Yaska

So they posted an update how the insurance works. Personally I think whole insurance system should be scrapped as it's freaking stupid. Just a annoying credit sink that hinders the actual gaming fun. Basically want to go to explore new place? Pay credits or lose your ships. Hated insurances in EVE and will hate insurances in this game. Of course it all depends if the insurance prices will be stupid high.

Xane

So they posted an update how the insurance works. Personally I think whole insurance system should be scrapped as it's freaking stupid. Just a annoying credit sink that hinders the actual gaming fun. Basically want to go to explore new place? Pay credits or lose your ships. Hated insurances in EVE and will hate insurances in this game. Of course it all depends if the insurance prices will be stupid high.

Well, you seem to be the first one complaining about their approach to insurance.
Personally, I love it. It's not only a gold sink but also helps to immerse and make you think about your actions a lot more (cost vs gain).
PvP will be way more organized and well planned due to this, like it is in EVE. And I love it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Insurance is one of the things they're doing to keep people from griefing in the game. I think it's OK. He says in that post that he'll keep prices reasonable, so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think it's interesting that if a player doesn't have insurance or enough money to buy a new ship, he has to fly as a crewman on someone else's ship until he's earned enough money to buy his own.

Xane

Insurance is one of the things they're doing to keep people from griefing in the game. I think it's OK. He says in that post that he'll keep prices reasonable, so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

I think it's interesting that if a player doesn't have insurance or enough money to buy a new ship, he has to fly as a crewman on someone else's ship until he's earned enough money to buy his own.

Yeah, I'm interested to know how they'll manage that.
Flying missions with ships that ain't yours, what happens if you crash or lose that then?
Can you get even deeper and deeper into debt? Haha, I'm sure some people will try that with a secondary character, collecting debt and be the poorest bastard there is.

Yaska

Well, you seem to be the first one complaining about their approach to insurance.
Personally, I love it. It's not only a gold sink but also helps to immerse and make you think about your actions a lot more (cost vs gain).
PvP will be way more organized and well planned due to this, like it is in EVE. And I love it.

Merely complaining about the whole idea of insurance.

Sure the immersion is nice factor, and that you are able to do missions for npc factions to get funds for your (new) ship is a nice plus so that the whole system doesn't suck, but in the end this just gonna end as a headache for those who don't have many friends online, as it's gonna end that there will be griefer groups hitting you and costing you even more and more credits. And as they said the insurance claim time grows, so you can pretty much get locked out of your ships. But pricing is what determines this of course. Just my opinion. Can't always like everything about everything after all :p. But will have to wait and see how the systems turn out when the game ships.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah, I'm interested to know how they'll manage that.
Flying missions with ships that ain't yours, what happens if you crash or lose that then?
Well..
You could always get a job on a cleaning crew of a science vessel, which gets attacked by Salariens while you take a nap in janitorial storage closet, then you just fight your way to glory.. ;)

ParityBit

I think if you are working on a ship, it's probably not as the pilot. Like I have a Freelancer and if I am flying alone, I would gladly pick up someone to man the turrets so they can get paid and get their ship back!

On that note, there is a discussion going on the forum boards about the Freelancer vs Constellation. I am semi concerned that the Constellation will be better than all of the other ships (with the way it's being talked about) and to me (as I posted) if that is true, the game will have a ratio of 10 - 1 Constellation vs every other ship in the game. Additionally that will make this game truly a pay to win.

Although I doubt (hope?) this is not the case.

If the Constellation does everything better than my Freelancer, and the 300i, and the Hornet, why would I ever want any of them?

Zaptruder

Banned
I think if you are working on a ship, it's probably not as the pilot. Like I have a Freelancer and if I am flying alone, I would gladly pick up someone to man the turrets so they can get paid and get their ship back!

On that note, there is a discussion going on the forum boards about the Freelancer vs Constellation. I am semi concerned that the Constellation will be better than all of the other ships (with the way it's being talked about) and to me (as I posted) if that is true, the game will have a ratio of 10 - 1 Constellation vs every other ship in the game. Additionally that will make this game truly a pay to win.

Although I doubt (hope?) this is not the case.

If the Constellation does everything better than my Freelancer, and the 300i, and the Hornet, why would I ever want any of them?

Not that I know what's going through the minds of the crew at RSI, but I'd make it so that the constellation was at its base less maneuverable than all the ships before it. Which is fair enough given that it's a much larger ship.

But, you can specialize with modules and weapons to make it more combat, transport, or whatever orientated. You can have a jack of all trades, or a master of one.

So in that sense, it's kind of still the ultimate player ship (excluding capital ships)... but I think a large part of that comes down to having a full complement of crew as well - I'd think that 4 hornets vs 1 constellation + 4 crew, would be a pretty one sided fight (in the hornets favour)...

And 1 excellent pilot in a well geared hornet could blast an average pilot in an average constellation to kingdom come.

But unless there's an explicit emphasis on role warfare as in say Mechwarrior Online, the game will unfortunately succumb to upgrade creep...

ParityBit

Well, I may end up being one of "those" and upgrading my pledge in the next year. Once I see who things move. Unfortunately I will only have 1, maybe 2 friends who play. Thus if I did the Constellation I would have open seats.

Xane

Oh crap. Didn't expect this and gigglesnorted audibly. I'm sitting in a train on my way home, ffs. Don't do this to me. Now people are giving me odd stares and things are all awkward.

My sincere apologies.
Also, there's a lot more:
Lamp no densetsu: http://imgur.com/a/0szqk/
Space Lube™: http://i.imgur.com/KhfsY.jpg
Chris Approves: http://i.imgur.com/9bsXz.jpg
Ben solo-piloting Stella: http://i.imgur.com/TQwc1.jpg
Lamp approves: http://i.imgur.com/N3pwF.jpg
In Chris We Trust™: http://i.imgur.com/TtKhj.jpg
Creation of Star Citizen: http://i.imgur.com/pDMRG.jpg
Chris Wants YOU: http://i.imgur.com/ShJsW.jpg

Babalu.

looks like transfering the kickstarter pledgers over to the RSI site is going to take a couple more weeks. which is fine, i just hope nothing is lost in the process.

Jarmel

Banned
Have a question about the insurance. It says you get lifetime insurance for other pledge ships if you bought a ship before the 26th. Does that include the ship that comes with the game?

Xane

Have a question about the insurance. It says you get lifetime insurance for other pledge ships if you bought a ship before the 26th. Does that include the ship that comes with the game?

Nuh, life-time insurance is exclusively for the ships you pledged for as long as it applies to you.

Top Bottom