• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Well, not exactly. Non-backers have to pay for the initial game. But you can spend extra money to buy stuff in the Star Citizen universe part of the game, like you can buy hats in TF2 or new characters in League of Legends.

This could suck if it means that gameplay balance and unlock speed are decided by monetary factors. The point of the current f2p concept seems to be that unlocking stuff in-game gets made less inviting than just paying for stuff. In this case it would simply mean pay2win.

Perkel

Banned
This could suck if it means that gameplay balance and unlock speed are decided by monetary factors. The point of the current f2p concept seems to be that unlocking stuff in-game gets made less inviting than just paying for stuff. In this case it would simply mean pay2win.

This game needs more of Path of Exile F2P model.

So for example you could by skin packs different color for you blaster things like that rather than providing gameplay elements for money.

Keasar

I'm going to have to start posting my favorite spaceships.
These random not to scale spaceships are great.
http://i.imgur.com/mYJ4D.png[IMG]
1 of 93.[/QUOTE]

More a battleship/cruiser fan.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-21Vi-eIax0o/UHCwA5jtXjI/AAAAAAAABIc/-p7rJLMP3lc/s1600/Battlestar-Galactica-ship.jpg
Hiigaran_battlecruiser.jpg

sTeLioSco

Banned
I'm amazed at the lack of news on the usual sites about this. This game will be huge as was its fundraising but it seems like no news site cares.

its not right to spend money from the kickstarter to pay gaming sites to put your game news on their site..... ;)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm amazed at the lack of news on the usual sites about this. This game will be huge as was its fundraising but it seems like no news site cares.

That's because video game "news" websites get all their content from material sent to them by publishers. Star Citizen has no publisher sending press releases and media kits, so video game sites have to do actual reporting to get a story.

You see how well they're doing at that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
lmao, 6.2 mil, i dont even. Well I certainly am glad.

BUT PLEASE, pretty preeeease, have some atmospheric music like homeworld/EVE when exploring space! I dont just want big orchestral music.

Woah, 6 mil? I'm glad, even though I couldn't contribute...but I can't wait to pay and play it when it's ready! Good luck, RSI...make these awesome concepts and ideas reality!

Babalu.

hmm just got an email from amazon that my transaction through kickstarter failed.

I had the money so I hope I can get this fixed and not lose out on what I pledged.

Ianan

Damnit! I didn't realize they would let everyone upgrade their pledges so I didn't bother since I had no money at the time. If I'd of known we could upgrade I would of pledged a small amount of money then upgrade to the $250 pledge at some point.

Now I miss out on the lifetime insurance, is there anything else I will be missing out on? :(

Babalu.

hmm just got an email from amazon that my transaction through kickstarter failed.

I had the money so I hope I can get this fixed and not lose out on what I pledged.

nvm. 10 min later chase sent me a text asking if my $130 pledge was a fraudulent transaction (i did it from work).

went through.

Good stuff.

So glad this game did well, really waned to contribute and planned on doing it earlier today but had to work overtime and the kickstarter was over by the time I got home. Oh well game looks awesome anyway

DTKT

I must have missed that somehow, but what's the ship insurance? I guess it's a partial refund when you get blown up? Which means that when you lose a ship, you really lose it?

Corto

Let's shoot for 7 million then! We can do this. DTKT, it's on you now. You know what to do. Sell your house and other earthly possessions, you won't need those in space.

epmode

I must have missed that somehow, but what's the ship insurance? I guess it's a partial refund when you get blown up? Which means that when you lose a ship, you really lose it?

The ship insurance included with the pledged ships covers the hull and all starting equipment. If you're destroyed, you can get a replacement. Custom components and cargo are lost, however.

Insurance is available for anyone, and it is reportedly not all that expensive but you can choose to go without in order to save some money. And yes, ships which are destroyed while uninsured are lost forever.

zam

I pledged a while back so I have lifetime insurance for my Aurora, but does that lifetime insurance extend to ships I buy now that the timer is up? Does it extend to ships I buy ingame after the game is out?

epmode

I pledged a while back so I have lifetime insurance for my Aurora, but does that lifetime insurance extend to ships I buy now that the timer is up? Does it extend to ships I buy ingame after the game is out?

I haven't seen a response to that specific question but I'm pretty sure lifetime insurance carries over to new ship addons. You'll notice that ship addons cost the same for existing backers while new accounts have to pay more for the same ship so I assume the same principle applies to insurance.

eastmen

Banned

its my understanding that you'll only be able to buy ships during the kick starter after that you can only earn them through the game or using in game credits to buy them.

epmode

its my understanding that you'll only be able to buy ships during the kick starter after that you can only earn them through the game or using in game credits to buy them.

I don't think that's true.

The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding “in-game purchases” is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!

From the main RSI page. Sounds like you can buy money.

eastmen

Banned
yea but not all ships are buy-able .

For instance that alien raider from kickstarter can only be had in game by battling one and disabling / boarding it. So some of them like the ones from the last day can't be bought . Mabye some of the others can , but i'm pretty sure at much higher prices than the ks

epmode

Oh man i remember the voices and lip syncing blew me away back in the day. And all it took were a million floppy disks

I had a Commodore 64 and a few consoles but my first legitimate PC was a 386 33 with a whopping 4 megabytes of RAM. The first game I played was Wing Commander 2 with the speech pack. Without being too dramatic, that first cutscene broke my brain and I've been on Team PC ever since. That explosion is still impressive!

Xane

From the main RSI page. Sounds like you can buy money.

That's true. AFAIK, there'll only be one currency: Credits.
You can either invest time to earn Credits or buy them straight with real money.
To balance this out, there will be a soft limit of how much Credits one can buy per day or per month.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just going completely dark on this game and buying it when it actually comes out since I'm already thinking about how far away Project Eternity is, but does this plan to show up on the usual digital providers?

Ledsen

That's true. AFAIK, there'll only be one currency: Credits.
You can either invest time to earn Credits or buy them straight with real money.
To balance this out, there will be a soft limit of how much Credits one can buy per day or per month.

Wait, is this an MMO? I really don't understand how the F2P part is going to work... I don't want to play with other players, do I have to?

Hackbert

Wait, is this an MMO? I really don't understand how the F2P part is going to work... I don't want to play with other players, do I have to?

u don´t have to socialize, fear not ^^" Squadron 42 is your SP part of the Game with over 50 missions if i remember right. And i think you can switch enemy encounters completely off to just voyage around the 100 spacesystems

SparkTR

The Persistent World is one aspect. There's also a SP campaign (with Dark Souls style MP if you want) and standard moddable multiplayer. The Persistent World is kind of like what they did with Freelancer multiplayer, only on steroids.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Part of it is like Wing Commander Privateer, but online. But you can shut off encountering other human players and just encounter NPCs, as if you're playing Privateer. Or you can co-op with friends and have no other human players in the universe with you.

Just noticed this now. If it pans out to its promises, it'd be like the EVE I've always wanted. Still not interested enough to be suckered into any kickstarters (though that part is over now), but I'd definitely look into buying it when it releases.

eastmen

Banned
Just noticed this now. If it pans out to its promises, it'd be like the EVE I've always wanted. Still not interested enough to be suckered into any kickstarters (though that part is over now), but I'd definitely look into buying it when it releases.

you can still pledge through tomorrow. $35 bucks isn't a bad price to pay .

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm glad the RSI site was still open to pledges, because I'd left the Kickstarter tab and forgot to buy. Money's kinda tight, so I went with the $35. I want to earn the higher level ships on my first playthrough anyway.

xenist

6.36 mil.

All your money are belong to Roberts. That Saitek X-52 Pro is looking better and better. I don't think anything better is gonna get released until this comes out.

Top Bottom