• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen - July Update of Space Cantinas and Insurance Salespeople

Mindlog

319H18B.png

What is Squadron 42?
Single Player/Co-Op + Space Combat + CryEngine 3 + Chris Roberts (Wing Commander)
What is Star Citizen?
Instanced Single Universe Multiplayer or Hosted Modded Private Server + Space Combat & Trading + CryEngine 3 + Chris Roberts (Wing Commander)

So far 204,931 players have contributed a total of $12,646,874 for an average of $61.71 per copy.

NEW NEWS
The developer just put out a new update with concept art for another space cantina.
Stanton Bar Concept Art
Anyone who played Wing Commander or Privateer remembers that bars are where pilots go to meet… and Star Citizen won’t be changing that tradition! Pictured here is the look-and-feel concept art for the Arccorp Bar in the Stanton System. The Star citizen universe will be full of places like this where you’ll meet fixers to get missions, overhear the latest rumors about the universe around you and enjoy a drink or two.

These look and feel pieces are created to give level designers an idea of what the planets, stations and other areas they’re building are supposed to look like. they aren’t the final look of the game, but they’re a good example of what we’re striving for!

CIG is closed Thursday and Friday for the Fourth of July holiday… but that won’t stop the Wingman! Be sure to check in Friday morning for a new Wingman’s Hangar, recapping the events of the 24-hour livestream with guest Michael Morlan.

wuuSHUS.jpg

Big

If you are at all interested in the Alpha/Beta and haven't backed yet this is your last weekend to get Lifetime Insurance with your pledge ship. While not necessary to enjoy the game it is a pretty good perk. The cheapest way to get Alpha/Beta access is the $35 Starter Package which comes with an, Aurora LX. For $10 more the Advanced Starter Package adds Squadron 42.

But I want to buy more spaceships... Don't do this.
But I don't want to feel behind when I play... You won't be. You don't have to pay to win. Everything available in the pledge drive will be available in game.
Seriously, I miss Space Sims and I want to contribute more... Fine buy a, Constelation. Everyone else is doing it. If you are undecided then pledge for one of the ships that will be disappearing after this weekend (Aurora LX, 350r, M50, Starfarer, Caterpillar, Gladiator and Retaliator.) This way you can just melt it down if you change your mind later. You must have at least one package in order to get Alpha/Beta access.

Finally, in case you haven't heard RSI is pushing to have Oculus Rift support in the hangar app they are scheduled to release next month. I'm really hoping the game does well. Just having CryEngine 3 modified for space combat and ready for more mods is going to be a huge asset. Much of the current mod/indie space combat stuff is based on really old engines.

samjaza

Looking forward to this game, got a starter package and a M50, I don't want to be ahead but I want to be able to race straight away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's funny, I was the only one amongst my friends who wanted to actually see Wing Commander for the movie and not for the attached Phantom Menace trailer. I looked like such a tool afterwards for trying to hype that movie up.

"Guys, Wing Commander is an amazing game series! They already have movie like scenes with real actors! Plus the movie is being made by Chris Roberts, the GUY WHO MADE THE GAMES! THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!"

... yea.

Mupod

went for the $65 digital bounty hunter thing a couple weeks ago. Glad to see that I don't seem to lose out on anything by waiting so long, I actually thought I had pledged on the original kickstarter and I guess I forgot to.

Thank you for making this thread, friend Mindlog! The main Star Citizen thread was becoming a place wanting for new blood.

sixghost

Can someone explain what the function of "insurance" is in this game? The link made it sound like your ship can be stolen.

Sinatar

Can someone explain what the function of "insurance" is in this game? The link made it sound like your ship can be stolen.

When your ship dies you don't get a new one for free. If you insure it you can recoup your costs and buy a replacement.

Mindlog

If you plan on pledging for a big ship consider pledging for the starter packages instead. Later on you can still melt them down for whatever you want or you can gift/sell them to players later. There will probably be a small rise in players wanting access right before it becomes available.

Your ship can be stolen! There is a boarding component of some sort which hasn't been detailed yet. Your pilot will be able to move around in the ship and enemies will be able to come aboard in the right circumstances. Obviously this sounds like something open to fraud so they still have details to work out. Maybe space dash cams required for everyone.

Kard8p3

Two questions before I decide if I want to spend money I don't have, lol.

1) is this is any sort of playable state yet?

2) Is a GT 640 enough to play on, say, mid?

Umm so I pledged back during the Kickstarter for the $30 level but I haven't been following this at all.

Can someone summarize what's going on with this insurance stuff?

Also I don't remember anything about Squadron 42. Do I have to pay extra for that?

I feel like I should have paid more attention but all I saw was Chris Roberts and new game during the kickstarter and I resigned myself to just avoid updates because it was too early to get all hyped up.

Sinatar

1. No
2. Who knows? It's not coming out for ages.

epmode

For the buyers, no. But this is from the initial reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2cKSUNkVA

Real ship combat will come with the multiplayer alpha toward the end of the year. This will be limited to simple dogfighting. The persistent universe comes much later.

The first piece of the game that will be available to buyers comes in August when you'll be able to check out your ships in your own hangar.

No one knows how well it will run on different hardware since it's so far away. The video I posted above was apparently running on a 680 though.

Mindlog

1) Not even close. They are supposed to start a Dogfighting Alpha Test in December, but that could be pushed back. The game isn't scheduled to be released until November 2014, but that could also be pushed back.

2)
"At the moment you will be able to play [Star Citizen] on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4 GB of system memory," the FAQ reads. "If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit!"

__

On reddit in the "Ask Chris Anything!" session on February 22nd, 2012 Chris wrote the following information:

It's a major focus for me (to optimize SC for multicore and SLI) as I develop on Intel 3960x hexacore OC with GTX680SLI. This is not the requirement for the final game, but shows the kind of machine you want to have for the game
It meets the current minimum requirements, but they are trying to future proof the game to some extent.

Umm so I pledged back during the Kickstarter for the $30 level but I haven't been following this at all.

Also I don't remember anything about Squadron 42. Do I have to pay extra for that?
If that was the Digital Scout package then you already have Squadron 42 and LifeTime Insurance for your starter ship. You should have had Alpha/Beta access, but there's a bug with the new site. I upgraded the ship in that package which kept the bug from affecting me. Hopefully it will be addressed shortly.

The most important thing is to migrate your account to the new site. Do that as soon as possible.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

If you have the package I believe you do you may have already missed one of your kickstarter bonuses. It was a little plastic useless, but neat backer card.
OoiTRIQ.jpg

epmode

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12986-Lifetime-Insurance-Clarification

Squadron 42 is the single player campaign. If you pledged during the initial campaign, you already have it. Most everyone else will have it as well, but there's a single $30 package on the new site that does NOT include it.

If that was the Digital Scout package then you already have Squadron 42. You should have had Alpha/Beta access, but there's a bug with the new site. I upgraded the ship in that package which kept the bug from affecting me. Hopefully it will be addressed shortly.

The most important thing is to migrate your account to the new site.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

If you have the package I believe you do you may have already missed one of your kickstarter bonuses. It was a little plastic useless, but neat backer card.
OoiTRIQ.jpg

I just went back and checked my email and I do have the Digital Scout pack. I also remember migrating my account over after I saw one of those last chance emails they were sending out.

Im going to start paying more attention to this.

Mindlog

I'm confused, I backed this last year through the RSI website, do I get into the Alpha?
If you bought a package then, yes.
RSI updated their website like a week ago. It's important that anyone who has already backed migrate their account to the newest website.

danthefan

Thanks, just migrated there. I am an "original backer" it turns out.

So from reading the thread there's not much point in buying a new ship? I just have the RSI Aurora.

Edit - holy crap at the price of buying more ships. Never mind.

Space canteen sounds awesome. I went for the Advanced Starter Package a few days ago. Not thinking about buying any other ships though. There's so much about the game we don't know yet (how easy it is to earn credits, ship prices, mission structure, etc...)

danthefan

Did I back an MMO? This all sounds a lot like EVE.

It seems to be set in a big online persistent universe. But the devs would say it is not an MMO, from their website:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?
No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

I was also going to ask in this thread if it was going to be like EVE but I guess there's still not enough detail to know.

epmode

There's a persistent universe but it's going to be a lot more instanced* than something like EVE. It'll be a lot closer to a multiplayer Privateer than a traditional MMO.

*player limits per area will be relatively low. If additional people are present, they'll be placed into another instance.

LuffyZoro

I know that I pledged to support this. However, I didn't have a pre-existing account, and I don't have any email records that I can find. What can I do?

androvsky

Did I back an MMO? This all sounds a lot like EVE.
I think it's still what they described in the initial pitch, we basically backed a heavily instanced MMO (Guild Wars in space?) and a single player Wing Commander style game, aka Squadron 42.

Think of it as a typical AAA game with a single player campaign and a multiplayer mode, but in this case there's a lot more effort put into the multiplayer.

epmode

I know that I pledged to support this. However, I didn't have a pre-existing account, and I don't have any email records that I can find. What can I do?

Did you back through their site or Kickstarter? You can always use the Contact Us link at the bottom of http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Also, check your Paypal account if you used that. If you used Amazon Payments, you can find your payment history here: https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

Brokun

I've been following this game for a while and have been holding off on buying into it, but the lifetime insurance pushed me over the edge, for some reason.

So I bought the Arbiter package.

Can't wait to see you in there GAF!

Oh yeah. Is there anyone planning on buying a high quality flight stick to play this game? I was considering it but my knowledge of flight sticks is... lacking.

Sinatar

I've been following this game for a while and have been holding off on buying into it, but the lifetime insurance pushed me over the edge, for some reason.

So I bought the Arbiter package.

Can't wait to see you in there GAF!

Oh yeah. Is there anyone planning on buying a high quality flight stick to play this game? I was considering it but my knowledge of flight sticks is... lacking.

It's generally accepted that Saitek sticks are the best, though that was from before the madcatz buyout, these days I have no idea.

samjaza

Cross posting action:

I've heard of the game before but I've waited till now to jump in, especially with the deadline on the limited-time ships.

For "general" play, should I go with the Hornet package or the 350r ?

Or is there something I'm missing about the Freelancer?

I am still trying to get caught up with the wealth of info on the game; I just know I want it in my veins.

the 350r is a racing ship (more powerful engine then the standard 300i but less powerful weapons), the hornet is meant to be a medium range fighter(pretty much no cargo and the version we get has been detuned for civilian use) and the freelancer is a long rang mercantile/exploration craft (jack of all trades, master of none ship).

Ephemeris

the 350r is a racing ship (more powerful engine then the standard 300i but less powerful weapons), the hornet is meant to be a medium range fighter(pretty much no cargo and the version we get has been detuned for civilian use) and the freelancer is a long rang mercantile/exploration craft (jack of all trades, master of none ship).

Thanks samjaza.

Hmmmmm. Probably leaning more towards the 350r for hit-and-run shenanigans and cargo ability.

Your ship can be stolen! There is a boarding component of some sort which hasn't been detailed yet. Your pilot will be able to move around in the ship and enemies will be able to come aboard in the right circumstances. Obviously this sounds like something open to fraud so they still have details to work out. Maybe space dash cams required for everyone.

This makes it sound like there is going to be first person combat too. Man that would be a hell of a game if you could mix an fps together with a really solid space combat. Imagine raiding a space station. An Eve type of game that had real gameplay instead of being "spreadsheets in space" mixed with an fps would be amazing.

Mindlog

There are rumors that RSI is working on their own controller. I'm holding off on buying a new HotAS until we get closer to release. Hotas wouldn't be the greatest for walking around a ship. Also I plan on playing with a Rift so it could be difficult to switch between control inputs.
Cross posting action:
Out of those 3 definitely get the 350R. If you change it will be easy to swap out for another. However, that's one of the ships that won't be part of a pledge package after July 6.
This makes it sound like there is going to be first person combat too. Man that would be a hell of a game if you could mix an fps together with a really solid space combat. Imagine raiding a space station. An Eve type of game that had real gameplay instead of being "spreadsheets in space" mixed with an fps would be amazing.
It can't be exactly like EVE because encounter numbers have to be smaller, but yeah that's the spirit of the thing. Also FPS combat will probably be restricted to the inside ships. They still have a lot of details under wraps.

DrSlek

My friend and I have made a pact. We'll be engaging in space piracy and smuggling.

It will be fun on a bun.

Your in luck because that is exactly what they are going for, Chris said he wants to stay in a first person perspective the whole time your playing, from starting up your ship, to boarding another ship or station and fighting it out, to landing your ship on planets and walking around various shops, bars, and talking to other players. Hopefully his team are up to the task because it all sounds very ambitious but I think they can pull it off.

Got myself a TM Warthog that I used for DCS, its most likely overkill for star citizen but at least ill be ready. The next step down from that would probably be the x-65 stick but that one doesn't move, it senses how much pressure is applied

Top Bottom