• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen PAX dogfight gameplay footage

Yep, this is the reason we cant have good things and inside view into development.

--------

Some post in this thread were so bad that my eyes started to bleed.
If You have no knowledge about development and physics, leave this game alone for now and wait for a final product in 1.5 year. You will do Yourself, CIG and us a favor, thanks.

And about Chris Roberts gameplay. He normally does not play on gamepad, its just easier to use it for the demo.
This is how he will be playing Star Citizen:

iztJAY9E4oEd6.jpg

Many of us aren't privvy to the inner workings of this title. It being posted on a public forum for all to see, you have to expect that some of us don't know anything about this game other than what the video shows. Obviously, it's a WIP. But I don't know how far off it is. And based on some responses, I'm guessing it's a kickstarted project? I'd, personally, be unhappy with the over-development/emphasis on animations (this early in development) that take control away (it looked great the first time) and the lack of progress in the AI department. I'd prefer place holder animations (or a temorary black loading screen) with the video's highlight being an exciting chase between asteroids instead of the opposite.

Many of us aren't privvy to the inner workings of this title. It being posted on a public forum for all to see, you have to expect that some of us don't know anything about this game other than what the video shows. Obviously, it's a WIP. But I don't know how far off it is. And based on some responses, I'm guessing it's a kickstarted project? I'd, personally, be unhappy with the over-development/emphasis on animations (this early in development) that take control away (it looked great the first time) and the lack of progress in the AI department. I'd prefer place holder animations (or a temorary black loading screen) with the video's highlight being an exciting chase between asteroids instead of the opposite.

1. Simulator: emphasis on time based things, attention to detail, and animations. Maybe you have not played a sim game before?

2. AI DEVELOPMENT IS A MASSIVE PART OF THIS GAME. The AI in the dog fight module uses this AI.

3. about 10% of this game's funds were actually made on kickstarter, the rest was made on SC's website.

4. The people making animations have nothing to do with people designing other things, it is not some equivalency where more time spent on animations means worse AI or something.

You are posting uninformed things again. Also, it is simple to be privy to internal development of this game so you can make informed choices on it. Just read their website or watch a video they put out. Everything is there.

KKRT00

The thing is we know a lot about development of this game, because they are sharing everything with community.
Just look at their Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd
Every video there talks about development of this game and shows progress or features they are making or consider to make.
They also have a tons of blog posts on their website with big monthly reports about development. Here is one example
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13785-Monthly-Report-March-2014

Most of complains in this thread are completely unjustified and come from people who did not research this project at all.
Hell there are comments here about Chris Roberts' involvement in this project, that he is not suited for this kind of game ...

Haunted

The thing is we know a lot about development of this game, because they are sharing everything with community.
Just look at their Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd
Every video there talks about development of this game and shows progress or features they are making or consider to make.
They also have a tons of blog posts on their website with big monthly reports about development. Here is one example
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13785-Monthly-Report-March-2014

Most of complains in this thread are completely unjustified and come from people who did not research this project at all.
Hell there are comments here about Chris Roberts' involvement in this project, that he is not suited for this kind of game ...
We've seen the same things happening with Broken Age development, and every piece of (possibly negative) news that reached public ears outside their private forums. They weren't able to contextualise the info and many had (from my pov) nonsensical, almost knee-jerk reactions to certain news. It was really hard to watch/read as a backer in the know and made me rethink my own reactions and replies to news concerning other projects, where I had the outsider's perspective instead of the inside scoop.

1. Simulator: emphasis on time based things, attention to detail, and animations. Maybe you have not played a sim game before?

2. AI DEVELOPMENT IS A MASSIVE PART OF THIS GAME. The AI in the dog fight module uses this AI.

3. about 10% of this game's funds were actually made on kickstarter, the rest was made on SC's website.

4. The people making animations have nothing to do with people designing other things, it is not some equivalency where more time spent on animations means worse AI or something.

You are posting uninformed things again. Also, it is simple to be privy to internal development of this game so you can make informed choices on it. Just read their website or watch a video they put out. Everything is there.
That AI video showcased their great avoidance system (well not with human AI as that guy at 7:20 gave no fucks about a giant ship landing a few feet next to him lol) but the dogfights were still just "chase enemy in a straight line and fire until they explode". Until they were charging each other and the avoidance system kicked in before they collided, I didn't see anything great.

I'm curious about the "posting uninformed things again" comes from. Another thread?

But keep in mind, this thread is titled "dogfight gameplay footage", not "pre-alpha look at SC *warning, do not judge, WIP*" With that thread title, I expected dogfight footage. And when I see the term "dogfight", I expect exhilarating combat.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fairly serious.

I don't have all the time in the world, so if I'm going to invest time into one space MMO type thing, it might as well be in the one I like the look of better right?

Don't think you are judging a bit prematurely? This is realistically 2 years off, will have 1000s upon 1000s of testers and you will be able to try it yourself within a few months.

Looks really cool.

Can this game be considered a AAA though?

Does it matter?

Portugeezer

Having a PC more powerful than the next-gen consoles is not exactly a difficult, or expensive, proposition.

By the time Star Citizen is actually released, we will have low-end GPUs with significantly more power than the PS4.

That wasn't really my point; most high end games even on PC support lower end hardware which is also less powerful than the PS4.

Looking at this game it sure looks amazing, but I am not seeing why it wouldn't be possible to have a lower spec version unless of course he just doesn't want to, which is respectable and I accept that.

But then I expect even better visuals, make Titan Z required or some shit.

Probably the former.

What can I say man, Star Citizen campaign came at the right time and place, and it engaged me on an emotional level overriding my rationality.

But this new video... not feeling it. *shrug*

I can always just buy the game itself proper without needing to start in a connie if it tickles my fancy.

That's actually the best choice tbqh. If someone is really interested in helping out, only $40 is enough to get in the alpha. I got away with the whole "keeping up with the joneses" with regards to ships because it was turning me into a whale. Sold most of the ships, got all my money (and more thanks to markup), and now I feel a lot better.

Really? I want proof

Where did you hear that?

Honest question.
sound requires a medium where it can bounce off, because it vibrates. the denser the medium, the faster sound travels. that is why sound travels faster in water than in air.

you may not realize this because you can't see air but if you just try to wave you arms or run fast you can feel combing through air.

space doesn't have air. therefore sound can not travel through space because it doesn't have a medium to bounce off of.

sun is obviously bigger than earth, composed mostly of hydrogen and is 10,000 degrees celsius. wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what it would sound like. boiling water is what, 100 degrees c hydrogen dioxide in a small kettle?

i just find it funny how peeps are arguing about the physics inside the cockpit without even noticing a more basic concept.

probably because movies have always shown space with explosions?

Zaptruder

Banned
Don't think you are judging a bit prematurely? This is realistically 2 years off, will have 1000s upon 1000s of testers and you will be able to try it yourself within a few months.

Does it matter?

Judging prematurely is laying down $250 (actually $285) sight unseen. So now I'm just going back to reserving my judgment until it can positively convince me to invest my time (which is more important to me).

KHarvey16

They had a special event set up with an open bar. Apparently they had technical difficulties for about an hour and a half before this demo went on, the crowd was getting unruly near the end.

The delays did get the crowd a little rowdy and let them drink more. Although if there was an open bar I didn't find it...my $11 g and t made me wonder how these people could afford to get sloshed!

A video they showed before the gameplay offered some context regarding the state of development at that point, for those wondering. Found it from the livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKA1J8BBpyI

Chettlar

Banned
sound requires a medium where it can bounce off, because it vibrates. the denser the medium, the faster sound travels. that is why sound travels faster in water than in air.

you may not realize this because you can't see air but if you just try to wave you arms or run fast you can feel combing through air.

space doesn't have air. therefore sound can not travel through space because it doesn't have a medium to bounce off of.

sun is obviously bigger than earth, composed mostly of hydrogen and is 10,000 degrees celsius. wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what it would sound like. boiling water is what, 100 degrees c hydrogen dioxide in a small kettle?

i just find it funny how peeps are arguing about the physics inside the cockpit without even noticing a more basic concept.

I know the thing about no sound in space. There is no medium (such as air) for the waves to travel through.

I'm talking about sounding like it's boiling. I seriously doubt it would sound like that. I would expect something more of a loud, constant roar, since ya know, you've got the power of dozens of atomic bombs exploding every second.

Each scene has about 10 million polygons. There is a lot to draw.
They better not all be drawn! There's only ~2m pixels at 1080p, so the maximum number of polygons drawn should be about that (even if culling isn't 100% efficient). Even in 4K--which I seriously doubt this demo was running at--there's only ~8m pixels.

Making objects with high-quality geometry rather than maps is a great goal, because the look will scale consistently and higher-quality as objects move very close (plus the bonuses to VR you mentioned). But the game won't often need to draw anything near the number of polygons you said.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Everyone claiming this doesn't look good sounds completely delusional to me.

Looking good as in the actuall graphics/Hud/lighting ect? Completely agree with you. It's fairly gorgeous especially for not being complete...

on the other hand... the movement/gameplay so far is looking kind of dull :-/ I really wish they would release a video of an encounter with someone competent behind the sticks and the bells and whistles turned on just to show backers/fans a tiny little slice of what they have behind the curtain. Something that doesn't bore me to death for the entirety of the video.

viveks86

I think we can all agree about sound not traveling in space. That wasn't what I was referring to. I had specifically quoted the portion of your comment that caught my attention.

wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what it would sound like. boiling water is what, 100 degrees c hydrogen dioxide in a small kettle?

Seriously? That sure huh? And what the hell is hydrogen dioxide? Thought it was H2O. I was simply pulling your leg in my previous post, but I'm a little annoyed by the way you responded. Comparing the sound of nuclear fusion to boiling water is completely random and baseless. They are neither the same physical state nor the same chemical reaction. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Having said that, a game without sound is going to be boring as hell. So games should be given the same liberty as space scifi movies.

Techies

Maybe if I haven't played so much Strike Vector recently I might of been more impressed.
It looks gorgeous, but the combat looks incredibly slow and boring.

Great game to look at, but as far as playing it goes, I don't know. My PC also probably gonna run it at 10 fps...

Sentenza

Maybe if I haven't played so much Strike Vector recently I might of been more impressed.
It looks gorgeous, but the combat looks incredibly slow and boring.
Thank you for proving my point:
If people were expecting something like Afterburner or Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. as examples of "fun and not boring" I'm very glad this is not looking a good fit for their taste.
It's supposed to be a space sim, not a fast paced arcade shooter.

Zaptruder

Banned
Thank you for proving my point:

It's supposed to be a space sim, not a fast paced arcade shooter.

Space sims are inherently arcadey, due to the fact that they behave nothing at all like what it would be to actually fly a space ship.

The game looks incredibly gorgeous for sure. But it also looks really weighty and slow. With mechanics that look completely in place for the 90s wing commander. Which I suppose is what a lot of people want. But it's not even on par with Freespace.

I'm interested to see combat from a larger ship perspective - that's a factor that wasn't previously present in Robert's older games, so it'll be good to see how it's done. Maybe once all the moving pieces are in, it'll give us a much more dynamic feeling.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is your definition of "sim" a bunch of old timers who get together at the track and race around at half speed, remembering the good ol' days? Because sim doesn't have to be "slow and weighty" everythingeverywhere.
Euro Truck Simulator 2012 is the template.

Euro Truck Simulator 2012 is the template.
I'm not sure my sarcasm meter is working but I've only seen videos and while I wouldn't play it, it seemed cool for what it was.

But a dogfighting in space simulation doesn't have to be such a slow, almost reenactment-like paced game.

androvsky

Ignoring the whole what a star sounds like thing, iirc there's actually a perfectly reasonable in-game justification for the sounds. The on-board ship computer plays environment sounds to the pilot to enhance spatial awareness for events that might be happening in a direction you can't see or aren't paying attention to. Naturally the computer would still be playing the sounds if you use Rocket #9 for third-person view.

MrBig

I'm not sure my sarcasm meter is working but I've only seen videos and while I wouldn't play it, it seemed cool for what it was.

But a dogfighting in space simulation doesn't have to be such a slow, almost reenactment-like paced game.

There hasn't been any combat shown yet -the pax demo involved CR using a 360 pad to shoot at some rather lifeless dummies-, so its hard to surmise the pace of it.

The maximum non-autopilot speed of ships in SC is said to be around 400km/h, around that of WWII dogfighting. That plus being in a large scale encounter will lead to intense moments, but the intention is not to compete with, for example, EVE Valkyrie's arcade mechanics: you will have to carefuly tend to your ammunition, ship status, character health, and ship power management (eg shifting power between shields, energy weapons, thrusters, etc) and in that way the game is going down a sim path. The ship to ship combat is to be fun, but involved.

belmonkey

It was mentioned that SC will make use of double-precision in GPUs; what is the importance of that? Will Nvidia GPUs fall behind AMD GPUs due to gimped DP?

The game's graphics certainly look good so far, but in terms of actually gameplay it doesn't show off anything more than game physics and weaponry. I'm hoping that actual conflicts will be a confluence of various factors/motivations of gameplay like In EVE, but I doubt that's something the devs can showcase before the game's release if it's there at all.

You should be able to hear every sound your ship makes because it reverberates through the material and into your cock pit though.

Not only will the sound be competing with communication channels, but the sound reverberations may cause damage to the more delicate parts in cockpit over time. Poor sound dampening is what it is. What a wacky universe it must be when its inhabitants can engineer thrusters that seem to be able to burn in space and high intensity lasers capable of blowing up spaceships (and also move slower than the speed of light somehow, but that's a drawback), but can't get something as simple as sound dampening right.

There hasn't been any combat shown yet -the pax demo involved CR using a 360 pad to shoot at some rather lifeless dummies-, so its hard to surmise the pace of it.

The maximum non-autopilot speed of ships in SC is said to be around 400km/h, around that of WWII dogfighting. That plus being in a large scale encounter will lead to intense moments, but the intention is not to compete with, for example, EVE Valkyrie's arcade mechanics: you will have to carefuly tend to your ammunition, ship status, character health, and ship power management (eg shifting power between shields, energy weapons, thrusters, etc) and in that way the game is going down a sim path. The ship to ship combat is to be fun, but involved.
I can't wait to see more. I just think that people shouldn't get so defensive over the criticism when new people come in and expect "dogfight gameplay footage" (the thread title) and come away disappointed by the underwhelming lack of exciting gameplay that the term "dogfight" would usually elicit.

Zabojnik

You're explaining it like some people in this thread never played a space sim.

*goes through the thread again*

*shakes head*

Carry on.

Sentenza

Is your definition of "sim" a bunch of old timers who get together at the track and race around at half speed, remembering the good ol' days? Because sim doesn't have to be "slow and weighty" everythingeverywhere.
Watching a couple of guys barely exiting from the hangar and making few manouvers around it at crawling speed doesn't tell anyone absolutely anything about how the combat is going to roll in more intense scenarios, so I still have no idea of what you guys are even talking about.

I like what I'm seeing and I like it a lot. It's not a DCS title and as a "space sim" is not supposed to be, but it has all the right feeling, that right compromise between having enough complexity to look like a real cockpit in a real fighter and at the same time being simple enough to catch up.
My only concern so far (and that's something I will be able to check only when I will play this myself, anyway) is if the feeling with the controls using a flight stick will be good enough.

MrBig

I can't wait to see more. I just think that people shouldn't get so defensive over the criticism when new people come in and expect "dogfight gameplay footage" (the thread title) and come away disappointed by the underwhelming lack of exciting gameplay that the term "dogfight" would usually elicit.

Indeed, I'm sure even CIG themselves are disappointed in what they were able to show at this event.

In a few weeks we should start to see new, better footage as people are let into the dogfighting tests, at which time we'll get good direct feed footage with players that are probably quite familiar with past sims.

A couple of guys barely exiting from the hangar and making few manouvers around it at crawling speed doesn't tell anyone absolutely anything about how the combat is going to roll in more intense scenarios.

Understandable. But if you read my previous post, the thread title is drawing people like me in and the video shows slow aerial combat. Regardless of what the folks who have been following SC know about the game, some of us new folks expected something a bit further along in a dogfight gameplay video.

injurai

Banned
Not only will the sound be competing with communication channels, but the sound reverberations may cause damage to the more delicate parts in cockpit over time. Poor sound dampening is what it is. What a wacky universe it must be when its inhabitants can engineer thrusters that seem to be able to burn in space and high intensity lasers capable of blowing up spaceships (and also move slower than the speed of light somehow, but that's a drawback), but can't get something as simple as sound dampening right.

a.aaa-No-fun-allowed..jpg

Top Bottom