• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In fairness those are the only times in Nintendo history that their games have suffered due to being rushed. And holy shit they were rushed.
Melee was similarly rushes to the marlet, but that came out right thanks to Sakurai and Iwata.

Turrican3

Eh, I thought the same thing about Wii u and we know how that first year ended up.
A delayed Nintendo game is not exactly shocking news, and yes, we know HD development hit them hard (that's undoubtly their own fault, they should have known from the struggles of the first HD generation)

But this time, assuming NX comes out in late 2016, they're being quiet for quite longer - IIRC more or less 3 years instead of 2 for the Wii --> WiiU transition for Retro Studios and EAD/EPD Tokyo for example, and that's a LOT of time I think - and the unified environment/architecture should hugely ease slipping releases whenever they occur.

I'm cautiously optimistic, also because sooo many things went wrong with WiiU that you can hardly do worse than that. :)

More time and manpower = magic? Only a few months? Considering that the game was in development around a year, that's a healthy extension. It's also a lot of time for polishing and balancing a game that sounds like it's practically done already. And if you don't think the final touches can make a a difference in how a game is received and how well it ages, I don't even know what to say. I can think of quite a few games that might have benefited from a little longer in the oven.

I didn't mean it in a negative way. It was a reference to 'Nintendo magic' and I was genuinly curious to what they're able to do in those few months.

Ridley327

Namco developed Smash Bros. Also both Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are multiplayer focused titles made to hold Wii U owners over the summer rather than single-player only games like Star Fox probably is. It makes sense to put Pokken in May over Star Fox.

Plus, the whole "it's fucking Pokemon" thing it has going for it.

Hermii

I didn't mean it in a negative way. It was a reference to 'Nintendo magic' and I was genuinly curious to what they're able to do in those few months.
Tropical freeze had a similar situation where the game was basically done and delayed a few months just for polish and that turned out alright.

PooBone

Wow, first Zelda now this. I bought a Wii U in January for these two games alone to play in 2015 and my system is STILL just a SNES emulator. Should have waited.... or skipped this console's entire fucked up life cycle.

Porcile

Namco developed Smash Bros. Also both Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are multiplayer focused titles made to hold Wii U owners over the summer rather than single-player only games like Star Fox probably is. It makes sense to put Pokken in May over Star Fox.

I've not exactly done much research here but in that May-June period Nintendo have released games such as New Super Luigi U, Wii Fit, Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Wii Play Motion. That's a mix of single player and multiplayer games.

This isn't exactly accurate for all regions, but it is there or there abouts.

Ridley327

So what's going to be the big Xmas game that "pushes" the Wii U now?

NoA has been giving a massive push to Yoshi, but it's obviously hard for us to get that excited over it when it's been out for months now everywhere else. Animal Crossing could fill Star Fox's slot, and it's arguably a much more mainstream-friendly game, but it's really tough to know if the interest in the game is about the game or the Amiibos themselves. I'm sure they don't mind the collectors snapping up copies for the two exclusive to the game, but that doesn't mean they're buying Wii Us to go with them.

Probably for the best. I don't think the game looked that great from E3, hopefully they can polish it up and make it something special. I still have Mario Maker to play on my Wii U so I'm good for a while. Until Xenoblade at least.

ramparter

Banned
In fairness those are the only times in Nintendo history that their games have suffered due to being rushed. And holy shit they were rushed.
I wouldn't say the only but yeah sometimes nintendo rushes their games and sometimes they don't. And it's better when they don't.

Percy

Banned
Fuck's sake... this was probably my most anticipated game for the rest of the year. I'm basically one small Xenoblade delay away from an aneurism right now :mad:

I'll get over it and still be there day one for the game, sure, but this still seriously sucks. Least Platinum still have Transformers to serve as a small apetiser to tide me over this year I guess.

greg400

Banned
Are people seriously saying Star Fox was going to be their big holiday game? The series hasn't been big enough for that to be possible since the N64. If the game got average reviews hardly anyone would've bought it. Hardcore crowd still has Xenoblade and the casual crowd has Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Mario Maker and amiibo festival.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Namco over EAD? Nagh.

Big multiplayer game with selling potential and legs over the summer (plus potential amiibo and/or DLC heaven) vs. hardcore sweetheart with very front-loaded sales and lucky to get 1 mio. worldwide LTD. Yeah, tough choice.

Ah, thought you were just being snide. Usually when people say "magic" on gaf it's a term of derision because it's so subjective.

Based on the quote it sounds like mostly polishing and balancing existing elements. It's a bit of speculation, but going by some of the reactions to the two screen stuff and the quote provided I'm inclined to think they may be fine tuning it so transitions between the two are as smooth as possible. It would be nice if the graphics got a little more sauce too. I recall Pikmin 3 making some pretty notable strides in that area during the last leg of development.

I hope Nintendo gets something akin to Iwata Asks going again. It would be great to get some direct insight on this sort of thing after it releases. :(

I'd say good on Nintendo, but I'm not going to pat them on the back for delaying a game that was in obvious need of more time in the oven.

My hype remains at zero until proven otherwise.

Kouichi

It is for the best. My biggest gripe with the game is the speed and lack of enemies so I'm glad Miyamoto made this decision. It could not have been easy given the Wii U's situation and how determined he was to release it this year.

sörine

Banned
While I agree, I think they need something a bit more mainstream.
I agree but I also would've said the same about Star Fox. It felt like an awkward fill in itself, probably because it was (for Zelda).

Their more mainstream candidate is probably Animal Crossing amiibo Festival but that would alienate core gamers. I guess there's Mario Tennis too which sort of skirts the line with casual/core but doesn't really have the gravitas for the big Nov slot. IDK, Nintendo kinda fucked themselves here.

Fat4all

Banned
sörine;179230376 said:
I agree but I also would've said the same about Star Fox. It felt like an awkward fill in itself, probably because it was (for Zelda).

Their more mainstream candidate is probably Animal Crossing amiibo Festival but that would alienate core gamers. I guess there's Mario Tennis too which sort of skirts the line with casual/core but doesn't really have the gravitas for the big Nov slot. IDK, Nintendo kinda fucked themselves here.

The closest thing is really Yoshi's Woolly World, but it's still not close to being a 'Mario', or a 'Zelda' in terms of exposure this Christmas.

I feel like Star Fox would've been a great holiday title, but if they need to delay, then they need to delay.

I'd say good on Nintendo, but I'm not going to pat them on the back for delaying a game that was in obvious need of more time in the oven.

My hype remains at zero until proven otherwise.
Yeah, as a Star Fox fan I am happy. As a Wii U owner, I am disappointed.
2015 line-up was so bad.

LOL Remember at the VGAs last year when Miyamoto was saying that both Zelda and Star Fox were coming this year?
At least he will be right about Star Fox coming out before Zelda.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Don't think its going to radically change much in 3 months, just be a little less rough around the edges perhaps.

A pretty shite Nintendo year for big releases. The sooner they stop pretending they can do 2 separate platforms at once and go all in on hybrid the better.

Fat4all

Banned
Well, it's Nintendo and Platinum. A delay was inevitable.

The field is yours, Xenoblade X.

tumblr_mc2otzOxhR1r23ps8o1_r1_250.gif

Love that show.
Square-Enix must be happy with Rise of the Tomb Raider taking 2015 holiday best selling exclusive.

Everyone is delaying everything lately. So is Xenoblade X suppose to be the holiday game? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for it, but its still a pretty niche jRPG.
They are betting on Animal Crossing this holiday is my guess. They hope those Amiibo sell during Black Friday.

RPGCrazied

Everyone is delaying everything lately. So is Xenoblade X suppose to be the holiday game? Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for it, but its still a pretty niche jRPG.

mindsale

Don't think its going to radically change much in 3 months, just be a little less rough around the edges perhaps.

A pretty shite Nintendo year for big releases. The sooner they stop pretending they can do 2 separate platforms at once and go all in on hybrid the better.

3 months confirmed? I figure it'll be out in May.

There is no hybrid.

Seik

Banned
While this is actually a good thing, my heart is a bit broken because I won't be able to play it on Chrismas like it happened with SF64 back then. :(

Oh well, still looking forward to it!

For the western Nintendo fanbase, they have Xenoblade X, and (i think in November?) Project Zero.

For the mass market you can bet there will be a massive marketing boost for Mario Kart 8, SSB, maybe Splatoon ... basically the mass market money maker games.

It should be a ... decent ... holiday season ... not great, not that bad either.

Fat4all

Banned
What other exclusive is coming out in November?
Halo 5 will sell yes, but I think it is coming out in October.

No matter what Xbox One won holiday 2015 becuase no competition.

There are countless multiplatform games this holiday season that will outsell Rise of the Tomb Raider, and most likely by a lot.

A hybrid is an awful idea and Nintendo aren't even doing it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is a quarter really long enough to see significant changes it seems people are hoping for? I don't know, it seems like a lot of people are expecting a major overhaul.

There are countless multiplatform games this holiday season that will outsell Rise of the Tomb Raider, and most likely by a lot.
I agree, I was talking best selling exclusive.
Most November releases are multiplatform.
I think Rise will do at least 1 million though and rank in the middle of NPD.

Well, in your original comment you said that Tomb Raider would "take 2015 holiday", you didn't really say anything about exclusives, hence my confusion.
Edited to reflect that.
I know it went to my buy list considering nothing else is coming out that I want now except Fallout 4.

Top Bottom