• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero - Video from review copy + plus Falco amiibo unlock revealed

bart64

Banned
You can watch people play on the TV.
Should have been more clear, I meant you don't look cool playing it (not that I wouldn't).There is already lots of gifs of people looking really goofy playing VR and that may very well be how the general public receives it.

PtM

Banned
Arcade style games in general fell out of favor. It's very hard to convince people to pay $50-60 for a 2 hour game anymore (even if that leaves out the replayability factor).

I'm bullish on this game. I think it will be the new Starfox we have been waiting for.
This reads like it's from 19 years ago. :p

This reads like it's from 19 years ago. :p

No matter how old that is, I will always hold that Arcade classics tend to hold their value as games much better than longer games. I hope a game like Star Fox Zero could inspire that idea in some people these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVFgTjwwBH0

Have some SNES tunes my friend.

Edit: On the topic of controls, this is my main complaint with 3rd person action games, they're too afraid to change the controls. Remember Tank Controls? Tedious as they were, they enabled a really interesting design in the Resident Evil games. "Dealing with it" is a means for inspiring overcoming and advancing control. Afterall, a person who can manage it better than another is a more skilled player than another at the game.

Yeah, but it's a nonsensical limitation. Controls shouldn't be used as a means of providing "challenge" unless they're intrinsic to the game type. Meaning controlling a human shouldn't be a pain in the ass just because, while controlling something like a robot (take RAD or Steel Batallion) could reasonably be because it makes sense they would be difficult to control

Yeah, but it's a nonsensical limitation. Controls shouldn't be used as a means of providing "challenge" unless they're intrinsic to the game type. Meaning controlling a human shouldn't be a pain in the ass just because, while controlling something like a robot (take RAD or Steel Batallion) could reasonably be because it makes sense they would be difficult to control

True, I'm just saying that there's a bit too much similarity going behind control schemes these days. I love steel battalion and affordable space adventures and older tank controls. They have an extremely distinct feeling and I wish more games branched out like that. That being said something like Star Fox Zero isn't really meant to be cumbersome I think, rather it's supposed to expand the players aim beyond the realm of a single screen and have them aim better and faster.

So, since I promised showing you something, here's a pair of videos from me!

Corneria 2 - On-rails phase
Training Mode - Landmaster

Note that I've captured the GamePad audio and mixed it into the footage - that means you can hear the voiceover too! Good news for headphone users - the game actually transmits ALL audio to the GamePad and mutes the TV once you connect the cable.

Thx for the videos DownGrader!

Btw, could you also confirm as a reviewer that the alternate control scheme is identical to the traditional way of steering and aiming like in SF64?

Thx for the videos DownGrader!

Btw, could you also confirm as a reviewer that the alternate control scheme is identical to the traditional way of steering and aiming like in SF64?

Yes, it's identical to SF64 one - the reticle is in direct front of the cockpit - right until you press ZR (= right until you shoot). After then, the game takes that reticle position as a central one for gyro control, so it feels pretty much like gyro-assisted SF64 controls.
Non-Arwing vehicles work slightly differently with this control scheme - the gyro is always active on the vertical axis. Kinda feels like Splatoon in this regard, sans fixed reticle.

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, it's identical to SF64 one - the reticle is in direct front of the cockpit - right until you press ZR (= right until you shoot). After then, the game takes that reticle position as a central one for gyro control, so it feels pretty much like gyro-assisted SF64 controls.
Non-Arwing vehicles work slightly differently with this control scheme - the gyro is always active on the vertical axis. Kinda feels like Splatoon in this regard, sans fixed reticle.

Sorry for the late reply!

Thx for the confirmation and np! So it's kind of different for the Landmaster as well, hm...

Top Bottom