• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero - Video from review copy + plus Falco amiibo unlock revealed

Ashby

Holy crap I didn't realize that this was the first Star Fox game in ten years. I feel like Command just came out a couple years ago. Makes me even more hype about this knowing that we're fortunate to just be getting another Star Fox, let alone how good it seems to be shaping up.

Jobbs

Banned
Slippy sounds like Ralph

I never liked that direction for him. I liked him as the ribbit man from the SNES game. When he became a little girl in N64 it pissed me off

Wait, this is big. So based on this video you can indeed disable motion controls.

And watching the video from 6:15 on they are indeed playing the normal route of Corneria without looking at the gamepad screen once.

They are moving the Arwing around with the left analog stick and shooting with whatever that button is lol.

It's key to note that the Gamepad screen is displayed on another display right below the main screen for that demo station.

So this game is really shipping with its terrible motion control scheme intact? Is this really happening? Are we finally getting a new SF64 style game only for it to be hampered by Miyamoto shoving motion controls down our throats once more?

Shiggy

I'm surprised they even kept the floating 2D water texture in one of the sections. Looks just very odd. Then again, the game will definitely not win any awards for its visuals.

So this game is really shipping with its terrible motion control scheme intact? Is this really happening? Are we finally getting a new SF64 style game only for it to be hampered by Miyamoto shoving motion controls down our throats once more?

I mean, motion is generally superior to analog for aiming, so I'm not surprised that it's a default in this game.

I mean, motion is generally superior to analog for aiming, so I'm not surprised that it's a default in this game.

It allows for a higher skill ceiling as enemies are noticeably smaller and faster than previous games. There are also more enemies with specific weak points instead of just the bosses having them. The ability to aim and position oneself is more demanding than previous games. I can't imagine not having Gyro if the increased speed and level of control it offers above sole analog allows for all of this. You probably know all this, so I probably should be replying to the guy you're responding to though.

I can't help but see the Gyro controls as nothing but an improvement in the end though.

Except for the people who can't get used to it and still prefer analog. I adore Splatoon but my skill level capped within the first month of playing the game, and more often than not when facing skilled (i.e Japanese) players, I win by the skin of my teeth.

Ehhh not really, more of an annoyance.

In your opinion of course. Motion Controls lends faster reticle movement, which in turn lends more possibility room for error due to the increased trust in control from the player but mastery increases the level of speed the player is able to react to. Thus a higher skill ceiling. Shooters love motion controls like they love Mouse and Keyboard.

Edit: I did forget some of the music, it appears that they remixed a bit of the soundtrack from previous games in addition to using instruments that wouldn't feel out of place in older title soundfonts such as the Boss theme 1(which feels like a SNES piece) contrasted against Boss Theme 2 (Which feels more like a 64 style piece). The Area 3 open space theme captures 64 space themes which were the strongest tracks while the indoor area focuses on the SNES soundtrack style. It makes for an interesting contrast that borrows from earlier titles but allows the game a bit of an identity which is very important because it's a reboot.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's key to note that the Gamepad screen is displayed on another display right below the main screen for that demo station.

True, although I don't really see why you'd need to in the guided parts of the game. When it gets to the open parts, well...motion controls! :p

No, but all signs I've seen point to there still being no option to turn it off. Someone earlier in the thread said you can hold down Y to lock aim to the front of your ship, but that's kind of a crappy compromise.

Except for the people who can't get used to it and still prefer analog. I adore Splatoon but my skill level capped within the first month of playing the game, and more often than not when facing skilled (i.e Japanese) players, I win by the skin of my teeth.

Oh well you're one of those.

Gonna write it off completely even though so far there have been good impressions with the controls. Cool. Got it.

RagnarokX

In your opinion of course. Motion Controls lends faster reticle movement, which in turn lends more possibility room for error due to the increased trust in control from the player but mastery increases the level of speed the player is able to react to. Thus a higher skill ceiling. Shooters love motion controls like they love Mouse and Keyboard.

Edit: I did forget some of the music, it appears that they remixed a bit of the soundtrack from previous games in addition to using instruments that wouldn't feel out of place in older title soundfonts such as the Boss theme 1(which feels like a SNES piece) contrasted against Boss Theme 2 (Which feels more like a 64 style piece). The Area 3 open space theme captures 64 space themes which were the strongest tracks while the indoor area focuses on the SNES soundtrack style. It makes for an interesting contrast that borrows from earlier titles but allows the game a bit of an identity which is very important because it's a reboot.
Not just faster, but more precise. I really don't like analog aiming because it's not quick enough and I have a hard time holding on a precise moving point while also moving. Trying to make very precise minute movements is very hard with sticks. I don't have this problem with motion controls. They make holding a very precise moving target much easier.

The indoor music for Zone 3 is literally a remix of the Star Fox SNES theme. It's awesome.

So, my review copy should come today... What parts of a game are you interested in the most, and what do you want me to show?

I am obviously not going to show and tell everything since I have to conform to the NDA - I'll just keep your wishes and expectations in mind when capturing and publishing the gameplay video, and I'll post requested videos here if/when I am able to.

Must've been a Platinum suggestion or one of the younger team members who suggested it, much like how the Retro Arwings turned out.

For me the SNES Star Fox soundtrack was much cooler than the 64 one. Which was still really damn good, but thematically not quite as memorable to me. Hopefully this isn't the end of the SNES themes being remixed.

So, my review copy should come today... What parts of a game are you interested in the most, and what do you want me to show?

I am obviously not going to show and tell everything since I have to conform to the NDA - I'll just keep your wishes and expectations in mind when capturing and publishing the gameplay video, and I'll post requested videos here if/when I am able to.

By far what interests me most currently is how the Arcade mode functions, what changes?

NateDrake

By far what interests me most currently is how the Arcade mode functions, what changes?
Don't expect details. That mode can't be discussed until release.

I captured some great footage tonight. Shame footage has such tight time restrictions - 3 mins for a clip.

Don't expect details. That mode can't be discussed until release.

I captured some great footage tonight. Shame footage has such tight time restrictions - 3 mins for a clip.

Ah, a shame. I do look forward to it. In that matter, the sector beta fight against Star Wolf will do.

Terrell

Where are you folks seeing the video with the footage and intro? Link in OP is dead.

What's that phrase that hardcore gamers use to shame filthy casuals and noobs again?

It's on the tip of my tongue.... OH YEAH!

GIT GUD

Where are you folks seeing the video with the footage and intro? Link in OP is dead.

What's that phrase that hardcore gamers use to shame filthy casuals and noobs again?

It's on the tip of my tongue.... OH YEAH!

GIT GUD

You're missing the point: it's that I can't better. I am as "gud" as one can be using analog controls, but I'm always at a disadvantage when competing against players using motion controls (basically everyone). When you design everything around a hypersensitive motion control scheme, you're running the risk of there being players who can't adapt to it for one reason or another.

Holding a bulky gamepad and angling it around is counterintuitive to me. As a means of controlling the camera, it's disorienting. I know I'm not the only one who greatly prefers analog controls.

You're missing the point: it's that I can't better. I am as "gud" as one can be using analog controls, but I'm always at a disadvantage when competing against players using motion controls (basically everyone). When you design everything around a hypersensitive motion control scheme, you're running the risk of there being players who can't adapt to it for one reason or another.

Holding gamepad and angling it around is counterintuitive to me. I know I'm not the only one who greatly prefers analog controls.

And I'm sure a small amount of people felt the same about analogue stick vs dpad.

Sorry, but when it comes down to it, you're arguing against a more accurate control scheme because you don't want other people to be better at games than you. It's just something you'll either have to adapt to or get used to, there is no point holding everyone else back because some people refuse or are unable to use a more accurate method.

That's a risk worth taking if it leads to better game design in the end. What you're suggesting is no different for mouse and Keyboard users having to use controllers for their shooters on console. A shame that you can't enjoy the game to the fullest, but asking the game to accommodate the design of an analog stick would hold the game back from what it could potentially ask of the player.

dtm808

Holding a bulky gamepad and angling it around is counterintuitive to me. As a means of controlling the camera, it's disorienting. I know I'm not the only one who greatly prefers analog controls.

Motion controls really come down to a personal preference on a game by game basis. Some people just dont like it for certain games and vice versa. For example i love motion controls in pikmin and zelda ss but hate it in splatoon and mk8. I agree though that it needs to be an option and not forced.

Motion controls really come down to a personal preference on a game by game basis. Some people just dont like it for certain games and vice versa. For example i love motion controls in pikmin and zelda ss but hate it in splatoon and mk8. I agree though that it needs to be an option and not forced.

Not necessarily, if a game is truly designed around motion controls it is most capable of taking advantage of it. To present another scenario, Capcom designed Resident Evil Remake with Tank Controls solely in mind, when they released as RER:HD they also added a completely analog control scheme. While this may be viewed as a positive to some, it is a negative as it completely breaks the game balance which can be fun don't get me wrong, but it robs the game of a survival element and is really not recommended for First time playthroughs (which are the most important). Likewise, not using motion controls will likely lead to an inferior experience from a game design stand point with Star Fox.

And I'm sure a small amount of people felt the same about analogue stick vs dpad.

Bad analogy. Going from 2D to 3D was a paradigm shift, this isn't. While you need analog controls for true 360 degree movement, you don't need motion controls. Whatever benefits they might offer some people are offset by all the people who feel alienated by such control schemes.

As I said before, as a means of controlling the camera, it's disorienting. The slightest movement shakes the camera. I don't see how you guys can walk around the plaza in that game with the camera jumping everywhere. I like to leisurely walk around and look at things in Nintendo games, but you can't do that in Splatoon. Not even with the sensitivity turned all the way down is the camera not a mess.

Sorry, but when it comes down to it, you're arguing against a more accurate control scheme because you don't want other people to be better at games than you.

Or because it's disorienting and I want a Starfox game to play like a fucking Starfox game (i.e. aim is linked to arwing movement).

RomanceDawn

Folks with the review copy can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember what the Nintendo rep told me about turning off motion.

Basically he said you can turn it off, then when you need it you hold down one of the 4 shoulder buttons and aim with the gyro while holding that button. I didn't try out this control scheme but I imagine that would put a lot of ease on my brain especially if I don't want to use motion on accident by just shifting around naturally while playing.

AndrewPL

Ok. I was seriously doubting this would be good but reading this last page I'm sold. Please don't let me down HypeGaf!

Now to decided if I want to pay $66 for just the game or $110 (nzd) for the bundle/ special edition...I want guard but may need to get it digital...

Bad analogy. Going from 2D to 3D was a paradigm shift, this isn't. While you need analog controls for true 360 degree movement, you don't need motion controls. Whatever benefits they might offer some people are offset by all the people who feel alienated by such control schemes.

It's not a bad analogy at all. You *can* make 3D games that control with a Dpad. It's just you have to make a lot of concessions because the control scheme hinders your ability to control your character. It's exactly the same for using analogue as a control scheme for camera controls. Yeah, it technically works, but it's the worst control scheme option in existence (beyond using a dpad for camera).

This game still seems pretty disappointing to me what with the direction they chose to take it in, but I'll reserve final judgment until I've actually played it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Bad analogy. Going from 2D to 3D was a paradigm shift, this isn't. While you need analog controls for true 360 degree movement, you don't need motion controls. Whatever benefits they might offer some people are offset by all the people who feel alienated by such control schemes. .

What makes you think the people who dislike gyro camera controls are the majority?

Visuals look great. This probably won't make sense to anyone else but I love that it looks like a video game.

The simple look is definitely a great look. It's a shame they had to hold back with scale because they have to render it on the Gamepad too for the silly motion control aiming.

Top Bottom