• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero - Video from review copy + plus Falco amiibo unlock revealed

YN12

Banned
I played at Wondercon yesterday and I am extremely pleased with what I experienced so far.

When I was playing, I realized why many of the gameplay videos we've seen look really slow, it's because no seems to be trying to dodge with barrel rolls. I played a land master stage and there were lasers and crap flying at me all over the place. While that was happening I was trying to doge and then aim, I've noticed everyone else just focusing so much on aiming that just fly slowly or just in straight lines getting shot up. That certainly speaks to the fact that people are trying to use the gyro aiming almost exclusively.

Nah, for me, recenter the reticle with Y or pressing the left stick, fly and shoot in a way that is more like classic star fox and use the gyro when necessary.

I thought it looked very pretty as well! I mean I guess it's pretty basic in comparison to whats out there but it looks good and I'm happy with the visuals.

The voice acting is alright as well, In Star Fox 64 3D it seems like they were purposely trying to make it a bad dub as if that was a specific highlight of the N64 game. It was never hollywood caliber but the acting in SF64 sounded genuine, 643D sounded like they were purposely trying to sound bad. Luckily with this game that's no longer the case.

Thank you for this.

My expectation is that once you have memorised enemy placement, you may not even need to look at the second screen anymore as you will KNOW where your laser will shoot (Jedi like, without even looking). This is why I expect score-runs in this game to be something else.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think I can live without the Fox enhancements, but the Falco seems to alter gameplay, so I will get that...

Just to double-check. If I bought the Falco amiibo at a Best Buy store, I'd still get the code for Mario vs. DK Mini Mario & Friends Amiibo Challenge early access, right?

Yes. Just make sure they don't try to charge you $5 for the Mini Mario & Friends Amiibo Challenge code. They tried to do that to me on Friday when I bought an Animal Crossing Amiibo (Kicks). Then when the employee adjusted it, it took off my GCU discount so I had to catch that and have him reswipe my card.

Yukinari

The video is set to private, did something happen?

Is this that AbdallahSmash guy? Cause he showed off like 40 minutes of the game yesterday. Did he break a rule?

Is this that AbdallahSmash guy? Cause he showed off like 40 minutes of the game yesterday. Did he break a rule?

Seems so in the end. I hope he isn't punished too harshly.

On a side note, how much replay value do you all think this game is going to have?

Considering that was the only bit of long footage out around this time....yeah he probably got overzealous and broke a date.

Kitoro

I played it yesterday at Wondercon.

I was behind 3 other people, and was able to watch them play alongside the other TV and queue, and all 6 or so players I watched play had no idea what they were doing; they couldn't fathom that they needed to look at the Game Pad for certain segments, and they all gave up during the boss segments, unable to do even get their health down at all.

I picked it up, and tried the "hardest" available stage, and had no problems until I got to the sand boss. I was able to take him out, but switching from the TV to the Game Pad did not feel natural to me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it at full release, but by the looks of it, not many other people I watched play could even grasp the concept, leaving bewildered.

This will likely end up being a polarizing game, critically.

NateDrake

Since I'm starting to capture footage for the game that I'll share next week, what view point do people want to see in the video? I have no way to grab direct footage from the GamePad, so doing both views at the same time in a video isn't doable. My plan was to swap between the third-person view and cockpit view during the video to demonstrate the exact view I was using at the time of playing.

I played at Wondercon yesterday and I am extremely pleased with what I experienced so far.

When I was playing, I realized why many of the gameplay videos we've seen look really slow, it's because no seems to be trying to dodge with barrel rolls. I played a land master stage and there were lasers and crap flying at me all over the place. While that was happening I was trying to doge and then aim, I've noticed everyone else just focusing so much on aiming that just fly slowly or just in straight lines getting shot up. That certainly speaks to the fact that people are trying to use the gyro aiming almost exclusively.

Nah, for me, recenter the reticle with Y or pressing the left stick, fly and shoot in a way that is more like classic star fox and use the gyro when necessary.

I thought it looked very pretty as well! I mean I guess it's pretty basic in comparison to whats out there but it looks good and I'm happy with the visuals.

The voice acting is alright as well, In Star Fox 64 3D it seems like they were purposely trying to make it a bad dub as if that was a specific highlight of the N64 game. It was never hollywood caliber but the acting in SF64 sounded genuine, 643D sounded like they were purposely trying to sound bad. Luckily with this game that's no longer the case.

So glad to hear that (the bolded part I mean, I have a good feeling for the gameplay being good). SF3DS is not as good for me as the N64 for the VA, since that added a lot to the game. Glad they toned down on the "intentionally bad" voice direction this time around.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Since I'm starting to capture footage for the game that I'll share next week, what view point do people want to see in the video? I have no way to grab direct footage from the GamePad, so doing both views at the same time in a video isn't doable. My plan was to swap between the third-person view and cockpit view during the video to demonstrate the exact view I was using at the time of playing.

Ideally both (or as you said, what you were focusing on at the time) but if possible some music capture would be great

Mory Dunz

Are we trying to police how people post their enthusiasm, or lack thereof, now? lol

As long as the gifs aren't 10 mb, i don't care.

It would be nice to listen some of the game music (Corneria theme and training mode theme would be awesome). I'm also curious about the training mode extra missions as well.

Looks like we got another Kid Icarus Uprising on our hands.

Can't wait to make a thread about how awesome SF0 is and have constant arguments from both sides.

I have a feeling I have some debating to prepare for. That is unless the game drops the ball utterly in level design somewhere that I'll probably have to rant about. I have another feeling that I won't have to do that though.

The Sandworm bossfight is a bit obtuse because it is an extension of the previous target mode boss fights which are more forgiving and better help grasp the concept. Stuff like Aquarosa and Sandworm are designed to challenge and a good challenge only exists when previous teaching has been done.

Videoneon

Well this is interesting.

Game has been looking more interesting as of late, but I still don't entirely understand the route system. Haven't been giving this too much research though. so it looks like 2 connected route branches, but also with some stages having multiple paths (the point of which I guess is either medals or simply a different mission result)?

Game has been looking more interesting as of late, but I still don't entirely understand the route system. Haven't been giving this too much research though. so it looks like 2 connected route branches, but also with some stages having multiple paths (the point of which I guess is either medals or simply a different mission result)?

I also want to know how the Arcade mode differs from the standard main story. Does it rearrange the planets in some way? A new Challenge type?

Axass

It seems that not all the hidden levels in the score list are full ones. For example, the Aquarosa battle seems to count as one of them, and probably there are other boss battles or short phases that may be at that list too.

Even so, we have seen that there are other levels that completely changes if you access them from a portal of a previous mission like Area 3, that under normal circumstances is a three phase all-range level focused on the walker and the gyrowing, but if you enter it from the portal in Corneria it becomes an on-rails level with Arwing inside the space colony. We haven't seen how it changes, but probably Zoness will get too a similar treatment seeing that if you arrive from Area 3 it's a stealth mission with the Gyrowing, but it you have the Arwing if you enter it from Corneria, probably changing to an action focused mission unlike the original.

About the medals, some of them are scattered throughout the levels, but there are others you can only get by beating a determined score, just like the SF64 ones. Also there seems to be three golden rings with medal ribbons in them, so probably you will get a full one when you catch all of them.

I'm really curious about what levels will get full alternative missions and how them all will change when you arrive them with a different path, but I suspect that at the end the number of full levels will be the same as SF 64 (16).

Number of levels redeemed, hype thrusters activated.

TDLink

Number of levels redeemed, hype thrusters activated.
I would wait till we see exactly what these alternate levels are.

I don't think it's clear yet that they are actually completely different levels. Though I hope so.

Kitoro

Looks like we got another Kid Icarus Uprising on our hands.

Can't wait to make a thread about how awesome SF0 is and have constant arguments from both sides.

I could totally see that, and Kid Icarus: Uprising was my GotY 2012, and still remains my all-time favorite 3DS game. A lot of that love was bolstered by the fun online play and the AR cards, which won't unfortunately translate to SF0 for me, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game greatly.

kjacobson

Neo Member
I really want to pick this up but I just detest using my Wii U. Would love if that emulator came along and could run this, I'd buy the game and rip my own copy or if it could play out of a DVD drive that would be awesome.

Love that this game is a throwback to StarFox 64, arguably the best in the series.

much appreciated. so, each star fox related amiibo does something different? fox = snes skin, falco = hard mode?

Yes with a skin too:
7ac61c4b3b8f200e72cc2b64587bcae5.png

J@hranimo

Banned
I knew the storm clouds were gathering; I was just glad to be in before the rain.

Well it is warranted though, even though based on the one video that was up the game did look good I can still see how some aren't convinced on the controls.

much appreciated. so, each star fox related amiibo does something different? fox = snes skin, falco = hard mode?

Pretty much. I do still hope that the hard mode is obtained through other means.

El Odio

Banned
Well it is warranted though, even though based on the one video that was up the game did look good I can still see how some aren't convinced on the controls.

Pretty much. I do still hope that the hard mode is obtained through other means.
I imagine that the Falco amiibo acts like the shadow mewtwo card for pokken and just unlocks it earlier for your play session. That or its just a stackable difficulty like the Ganondorf one for TP.

PtM

Banned
Wait wtf this is a remake of 64?

So i guess the name give it away but this is set before StarFox game on the SNES right?.....but it seems more of a rehash of the SNES story game??

Reboot, just like SF64 was.

The intro is mostly identical to Star Fox 64 one - strange activity on Venom, Pigma's betrayal, Andross started the Lylat Wars, Star Fox reborn etc.
Something to contemplate: SF64 already was a remake of the original game, this'll be the remake of a remake.

And the only "reimagining" here is the need to not call it a remake, wtf is up with that? You got your effing "remaster" semantics, and now you need yet another word?
Are we trying to police how people post their enthusiasm, or lack thereof, now? lol

As long as the gifs aren't 10 mb, i don't care.
Haha, yes, screw those.
Screw'em. :mad:

RomanceDawn

Man I just made a big write up but deleted it. Ugh.

Super ultra short version.

1) Motion controls work but it's something you will have to get used to, mainly in all range mode. Using the 3rd person cinematic view to keep track of the dangerous environment while being able to shoot at weak points seem to be a solid way to play. I'm convinced with enough practice it will be totally worth it.

The Nintendo rep told me you could turn off the motion controls. I swear, but I'm certain that's just not true. I did hear him tell others that you really don't have to use motion much during the rails segments.

2) I thought at first not only was the cinematic view a dumb idea gameplay wise but it didn't even look cool. After the sand worm I was convinced gameplay wise it has its uses. Then I watched someone fight Pigma and now I'm all for it in its entirety. I could see Peppy blasting away at a group of enemies waaaaaay out in the distance. Same with the rest of the crew. The draw distance seemed to be huge, so much so that I wonder if I could have actually flown over to where Peppy was. With that 3rd person view it looked like the rest of the crew was really handling business in the back ground. Watching the guy actually barrel roll and try to out maneuver Pigma just made it look a little more fun and frantic than the trailers led me to believe. I mean just look at most of the trailers or people playing at E3, they just sit there and don't try to juke out opponents like we were all used to. When this guy and I played, we made it look fun.

3) The on rails segments seem huge in a few spots. Not length wise but some areas seem to really open up above or below you in some cases. Slippy gets chased down towards the water falls in a bunch of previews and if you want I'm sure you don't have to go down there. It's nothing special but I'm so used to compact nature of the N64 game I was really surprised in the areas that would open up in the rails segments from time to time. Saw it Corneria and Titania.

After my play through I left really really happy and optimistic for the final product. Like I know its going to take me a while to get used to those boss segments but I don't feel like anything is broken or half baked. Keep in mind I hated everything passed 64. I even hated the first level in Assualt and its multiplayer, that's how picky I am.

I was pleased that while on Titania I was getting lit up by enemies. Dodgong the lasers and tractor beams while trying to shoot them all down was a challenge and once again I don't just sit there and take it like every preview and trailer so far, I barrel roll, hover, and boost like no bodies business.

I love the graphics, the machines look good as well as the oceans, mountains and explosions. I know without the second screen it could have been prettier but i am completely content with the visuals.

I don't want to get people hyped for something that could be a bust(not likely) but now I'm a total believer.

What do the amiibos unlock? The videos are set to private now.

Fox = SNES arwing skin?

Falco = Hard mode?

More or less. I think the Fox one might have sound and music from the SNES game as well, but I'm not sure if this is confirmed.

Falco gives you extra attack power and lower defense.

I hope both are unlockable within the game, just waiting for someone to confirm either way.

So miyamoto has been hinting an importance in story, this being called Zero, the last timeline trailer... something tells me those portals appearing are
space time continuum shenanigans by andross, trying to kill every parallel universe star fox team from, maybe from the other games. Would be super cool if the secrets stages where those.
Also its interesting the boss guy from corneria's secret path says his been beat for a second time when supposedly is the first (or maybe they actually know they are beating the game for a second time?)

Top Bottom