• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 4K/HD remaster coming to PS4 and PC in Japan

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I kind find it funny that Stat Ocean Last Hope was first 360 exclusive before International version came to PS3 but now the HD remaster version coming out both on PS4 and PC but not on Xbox One.

wtd2009

That game was a bit of a slog, but the battle system was a blast. I hope they improve the save system (mainly increase the abundance of save points) and maybe add in a fast travel. I almost put the game down due to all the repetitive running back and fourth across maps. in fact, that's what I remember most about that game. yuck.

OmegaDL50

Gee guys which should we port RoF or SO4? SO4.

Give me a break.

You're gonna have to ask SEGA about that.

SE had nothing to do with RoF.

Jesus, not even god damned close. There's so many absolutely dire RPGs out there, and no Star Ocean game even begins to approach them.

True.

From Software could have decided one of their secret projects was a sequel to Enchanted Arms.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I really enjoyed this game, good to see it getting remastered.
However, I still have this on PS3 so I don't think I'll be buying it again.
I was actually hoping Star Ocean 5 would get ported to PC since I haven't played that one yet and don't own a PS4.

MrBS

I still haven't played my PS3 copy so might as well double dip on PC. Star Ocean 4 is definitely what I picked up my 1080ti for.

Negator

I'm not trying to say SO4 is a good game, either. Just that SO5 recontextualized my idea of how bad SO4 actually was. It could have still been worse.

SO5's gameplay with SO4's characters would probably be the worst RPG ever made.

Somebody show this man the Idea Factory wiki page.

Also not even those would come close at all.

Alboreo

I only sorta enjoyed SO4 when I played it before, but after trying out SO5 I realize that it wasn't bad at all aside from the lifeless eyes and " 'kay girl". Combat's good, party composition is fun, the settings are interesting and the story isn't bad.
Star Ocean 5, meanwhile, had rough combat, a very boring story, uninteresting characters, uninspired locales, and I personally hated having so many characters on the field at once. I'm hard-pressed to think of a JRPG in recent years that I liked less. Not the worst game of all time by any means, but definitely not what I expected.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm really excited for this port of 4. I hope they do some sort of an HD rerelease of 1 and 2 (or at least 2), and something with 3 aside from the PSN version they recently did. The series is unique and wonderful; it deserves to live, but if the fifth title is all people have in their memory then it's not going to last much longer.

btw is Star Ocean 1 psp any good?

It's not bad, but I would suggest Star Ocean 2 over it. I enjoyed it more all-around, and it makes a fine starting point in the series imo.

wish they'd give us SO1 & 2 instead :-/

edit: I know SO2 came to PS4 in Japan and it sucks that it didn't come to the West >_<

I'd honestly like that port of SO2 more than anything Star Ocean-related. Oh well.

Zafir

I disagree, and not just because I love every single Star Ocean game.

Star Ocean 4 obviously had some storytelling issues, and cutscene character animation not being mocapped was a rather large mistake, but everyone blows the game out of proportion because they hate a single character for some reason. Especially when there's a japanese dub, right there, which means you don't actually have to deal with her awful, AWFUL dubbed voice. Lymle's backstory only being told in the encyclopedia was one of the bigger storytelling issues I had with the game.

Yall gotta look past the 'kay, 'kay?
Not really. I hate the majority of the characters in the game.

Besides the aforementioned Lymle:

- Edge is a mopey, whiny bitch. I tolerated it at first due to what happens, but man he lost my sympathy.
- Reimi could have been tolerable but she's bogged down by Edge and their silly relationship (or lack there of outside of the most awkward scenes)
- Meracle is just as annoying and creepy as Lymle.
- Serah doesn't really have a personality beyond dumb and clumsy. Not to mention her English voice if you're playing the 360 version, oh dear.
- Combine Lymle, Meracle and Serah together and you get them interrupting story scenes constantly to talk about how they don't understand anything. Even worse, Bacchus gets dragged through the mud by this since he's usually the one who has to explain.
- Faize is dragged down by the awful shipping they tried with Lymle and the fact he has his emo moments.

That leaves two characters...

LowerLevel

I kind find it funny that Stat Ocean Last Hope was first 360 exclusive before International version came to PS3 but now the HD remaster version coming out both on PS4 and PC but not on Xbox One.

Still rather MS/Squeenix figure out the BC alternative on Xbox right now personally... Same for the other rpg's from the 360.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

TLH was way back when MS were still fostering Japanese partnerships, part of that whole blue dragon, infinite undiscovery, eternal sonata, vesperia and lost odyssey period.

No company in Japan gives a shit enough to try something like that again.

StereoVsn

This game was terrible. It's not even the money but the time lost. I would rather play ME:A or better yet get a burrito.

TLH was way back when MS were still fostering Japanese partnerships, part of that whole blue dragon, infinite undiscovery, eternal sonata, vesperia and lost odyssey period.

It was so great, I kinda believe that those RPG won't be made or won't be made with the same budget(see tales of after Vesperia) if MS never step in. Kinda sad that MS never try again this gen, not even with their own IP....

I thought the battle system was okay but the characters were hot garbage and I'm not touching those battle trophies with a ten foot pole. Anyone who gets a platinum in this deserves mad props.
I always enjoy the opening to the Star Ocean games and then it's a slow slog downhill. The series needs a major overhaul

luminous

Honestly & truly had a blast with this on the PS3. It may take some shutting down your brain from the story & character events at a lot (a lot) of parts but I really liked the gameplay itself. I'll probably get this if it comes out here too.

Xevren

Would probably get it on sale. Wish Second Story would at least come to the west on ps4. The dream would be Valkyrie Profile though :(

Shin-Ra

Did you know Phil's been to Japan again though?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was so great, I kinda believe that those RPG won't be made or won't be made with the same budget(see tales of after Vesperia) if MS never step in. Kinda sad that MS never try again this gen, not even with their own IP....

vesperia would have been made with the same budget. same with Eternal Sonata, and Star Ocean. Infinite undiscovery, lost odyssey and others were MS exclusives so yes. Also, i think those deals were pretty bad for the outcome of those studios and they also agree, so i would rather it not have happend personally. It didn't help considering the 7th gen growing pains many devs had at the time

I had no idea 3 even got an HD remaster?

Its PS2 on PS4 classic, the same ISO as the original rerendered via emulation at 1080p

Did you know Phil's been to Japan again though?

Funny

theofficefan99

I tried replaying this last year but I just couldn't go past the beginning of the 5th area. Save points are way too sparse, combat wasn't that fun, and the writing is seriously abysmal.

I don't see how Star Ocean games get praised for their combat. They're all very clunky and offer very little variety in terms of different skills/attacks. They're all very spammy. IMO they're far, far below the battle systems of the Tales of games.

I hate how the series has so much potential as a sci-fi ARPG. Because even if tri-Ace were to get another opportunity, I'm sure they'd blow it. They seem adamant on having shitty stories and characters, a spammy battle system that relies on ppl getting fooled by the addictive nature of the bonus board or the giant numbers, and bad animations.

They've also shown that they're not smart with their budget. The engine they made that was literally never used? SO5 being a console game despite a $2 budget, being released alongside Exist Archive, a handheld game with a $2 budget? Also stuff like SO4 getting gobs of super expensive-looking CGI trailers/commercials when the game itself is largely lacking any cinematic flair outside of the last hour?

They have amazing ideas, but completely fuck up the execution.

Best example of that is Resonance of Fate: let's create an amazingly interesting dystopian sci-fi world with an interesting premise, and have the game revolve around costumes and completing menial joke tasks (like fetching wine, or spying on a date). This is made worse by the fact that the game is grindy as hell and dungeons are legit copy/paste and you need to rely on the color-coded entrances/exits to know where you are. I was sooooo fucking disappointed with this game.

Yes one of the few games i have played for over 1000 hours. Yup i really love the Battle system

Reimi for the win

Day 0 when it comes over to NA

notaskwid

Tri-Ace right now.

4.jpg

Mxrz

I liked it, really.

I tend to tune overly anime jrpg storylines and characters out. So that helped. As did going with Japanese voices and skipping a lot of cutscenes Even so, I liked the premise being very Sci-fi. The opening hours or so at least. Somewhere around the third planet it bogged down tnto cliches, but then suddenly its Roswell That Endswell.

The gameplay was fun, the post game seemed pretty good too. Didn't like the whole grinding skeletons bit, but otherwise I dug it. If the storyline had stuck with the exploration and sci-fi It'd been a lot better too.

Not sure I'd hop on board for a second purchase, but Im glad there is a PC release.

Dice//

Banned
As far as gameplay goes it's a totally solid title (and I do like that they simplified item creation from the chaos it was in SO3).

...I mean that's about it. But damn they nailed the fun of battle.

BONKERS

The hyperbole is real. SO5 is miles above what could even be called the 'worst' jrpg.

It is so real.

The reality is, people have put SO in this little box of this level of quality in their mind that it doesn't ever actually achieve. (Due to So2 and nostalgia). But this doesn't exist, SO is an inconsistent franchise but is always consistently at the very worst only "enjoyable".

That's how I see it anyway.

Based on the live stream, they are using FXAA here (Didn't the original have MSAA????)and only using a limited set of resolution options(SE should know better by now)

More than likely, this will just be a straight port, SO only seems to get the budget treatment after SO4's original release. SO3 deserved a FFX/XII level HD re-release (PS4 PS2 emulation is seriously lacking considering the titles don't render anywhere near 1080p.), and SO2's PS4 port is a joke. (Much like the FFVII, IX PS4 ports)

poncle

The game should be 3024 yen, so in the £20-25 range. Or $25-30.
Bonus PS4 theme and avatar if you buy it before January 8.

PC hacks wishlist:
- bonus gauge doesn't break
- walking speed x2
- resource points are limitless
- stealing has 100% success rate
- auto skip cut scenes
- skip item creation animation

PC mods I can dream about:
- make Ashlay playable
- have both Arumat and Faize in party
- make Faize useful, or at least fun

FDC1

Page for the game is up on the european stores but we can't buy the game yet (it shouldn't be long). 43GB,20.99€.

Edit: we can buy the game now and it has a nice 10% PS+ discount

Gitaroo

Not funny at all when these exclusive deal nearly killed a lot of jrpg franchises.

zokie

NA store is upz
https://store.playstation.com/en-us...cid=hk-en_ps_weekly_blog_lastest_games_171128

Earth has been decimated by World War III, and now, humanity must turn to the stars in search of a new home. Explore the galaxy on your quest, make allies and enemies among the alien races you encounter, and uncover a danger so great that it threatens all of creation.

&#9632; Spectacular New 4k and Full HD Visuals

&#9632; Exhilarating Real-time Battles

A universe of adventure and danger await in the great star ocean!

The Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - Day One Edition includes

&#9632; A PSN avatar each for Edge, Reimi, Faize, Lymle, Bacchus D-79, Meracle, Myuria, Sara, Crowe, Stephen, Arumat, and Welch.

&#9632; A PSN theme for STAR OCEAN: THE LAST HOPE'

synce

Denuvo, wtf? Here I thought Square was cool after releasing World of Final Fantasy without that cancer, then they slap it on a 10 year old game that might actually be worth buying otherwise. Bizarre choices

Top Bottom