• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 4K/HD remaster coming to PS4 and PC in Japan

Jolkien

Never understood the deep seethed hatred for the game, besides Lymle. If it comes out in NA i'll gladly revisit it again. I might even platinum it (who am I kidding forget it, way too hard)

Lime

So4 uses the same engine as RoF, right? That might mean that ROF has an increased chance of a PC release given Segas willingness to do PC ports

EmryX

Neo Member
lnwh.gif

Give me Resonance of Fate in 60 fps

antitrop

Not having nappy time already made SO5 the better game.

At least Star Ocean 4's combat system had some possibility of fun to extract out of it. SO5's battles are clusterfucks of too many characters (party size limits exist for a reason, who thought it was a good idea to have 6 party members in a single real-time battle) and a camera that just does nothing but spaz the fuck out at any given opportunity.

There's no room for strategy in SO5's combat AT ALL, 99% of the game is brainless button mashing at things you can't even see because of the camera, and 1% of it is completely unfair difficulty spikes from bosses that have cheap moves.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'll buy it, enjoyed what I played of it on PS3 and never did get to finish it so day one, kay

Mesoian

But why...

Star Ocean 4 is the only video game I have failed in giving away. No one wants it.

Man that game was terrible.

Dice//

Banned
I'd say SO4 was what I imagined from SO: actual space travel. None of the other SO games fulfilled my desire for interplanetary travel. Minus the cutscenes of course.

Wish it did more with it; it definitely satisfied but only as much as an appetizer would.

I still consider SO4 to have the best Combat system. It's what kept me playing after all of limle's antics.

SO5's combat system really kept me from enjoying that game, especially after SO4's was so good.

Battlechili

Banned
You've not paid much attention then. All three are Microsoft IPs, and BD and LO were both published by MS directly.
Woops, my bad. And its easy to find information too x_x
Truthfully, I don't know much about the 360 library or Microsoft during that time. I don't really know much about these games other than that they're Square JRPGs so much as I just had interest in them due to being Square JRPGs from the same time period as Star Ocean 4. I had just assumed since nowadays pretty much everything from Square is their own stuff.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Um WHAT ABOUT THE WEST.

I mean i have significant issues with SO4, but the gameplay is still decent. the PS3 version drops frames like hell on the overworld and runs at a lower resolution compared to the better performing and more clear 360 version, i would not mind getting rid of it in favor of a better performing version

Oregano

Woops, my bad. And its easy to find information too x_x
Truthfully, I don't know much about the 360 library or Microsoft during that time. I don't really know much about these games other than that they're Square JRPGs so much as I just had interest in them due to being Square JRPGs from the same time period as Star Ocean 4. I had just assumed since nowadays pretty much everything from Square is their own stuff.

Might have been a bit harsh, apologies. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon aren't actually connected to SE in any way, Infinite Undiscovery is a weird case as Square Enix just handled publishing for Microsoft but it was a first party game.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I honestly think that Star Ocean declines in quality with every iteration. SO > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5.
Also, 3 was the last time the series was actually good.
3 was just as bad as 4, if not a tad worse due to the SP mechanic.
It's almost offensive that we received a 'remaster' of that garbage in the west while 2 was untouched
:(

Inuhanyou

3 was just as bad as 4, if not a tad worse due to the SP mechanic.
It's almost offensive that we received a 'remaster' of that garbage in the west while 2 was untouched
:(

Bad opinions are bad and you should feel bad about it. SO3 is the best SO

Man, I remember the expectations and hype for this game and when it finally came out, so much vitriol of hate lol. Then Lyme hate, followed by a cheap cash grab of the international version. Heard getting the plat was extremely tedious and so many battles.

I mean SE could have remastered SO1,2 or 3, or better yet, remaster ROF instead. That game was fun with the outfits lol and over the top Gun-Fu.

It's digital only so I need to checkout some gameplay first. Are there any likeable characters in this one?

Inuhanyou

Man, I remember the expectations and hype for this game and when it finally came out, so much vitriol of hate lol. Then Lyme hate, followed by a cheap cash grab of the international version. Heard getting the plat was extremely tedious and so many battles.

I mean SE could have remastered SO1,2 or 3, or better yet, remaster ROF instead. That game was fun with the outfits lol and over the top Gun-Fu.

It's digital only so I need to checkout some gameplay first. Are there any likeable characters in this one?

No. The only barometer is to what degree you can tolerate annoying or creepy. Well no i should not say that, Fiore can be okay....i guess...

But i still can tolerate it for the gameplay aspects, but be prepared for the most creepy "doll" like character models you will ever see. They dont emote in the least, they just...creepily stare into space like mannequins and do over exaggerated anime body like motions as if pulled by puppet strings. That is before we get into their actual lines of dialogue..

cyress8

Banned
After some Googeling, it looks hopeful! This was for the ps3 version

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/1...e-international-is-extremely-import-friendly/

''Square Enix is raising the bar for their “international” editions, which usually have English voice acting and Japanese subtitles. Star Ocean: The Last Hope International also includes English subtitles.

On top of that, this scan from Famitsu says players will be able to choose French, German, and other text options from a menu. You can also choose either English or Japanese voice acting. And since the PlayStation 3 is region free Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is probably the most import friendly Japanese RPG to date.''

And from play-asia: https://www.play-asia.com/star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-ultimate-hits/13/70458x

''In addition to English and Japanese voice options, the PlayStation 3 system version will include English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese language options for STAR OCEAN fans around the world''

Anyone else have more info or is it still too early to know for these ports? Will buy day 1 if it atleast has english subtitles. I play with japanese audio all the time and do not mind subtitles. Always better that way.

Parfait

Considering Star Ocean 3 came over, I'm pretty damn sure this will come over as well.

I'm Day 1 on this very hard. At last I can triple dip.

SkylineRKR

Kind of terrible game but far better world and exploration than 5. Better combat as well.

I think this whole series is sort of terrible. I also played SO3 Ps2 classic and quit about 75% in, when I had to backtrack the whole world. The dungeon design of these games is awful.

SO2 is the only one I didn't hate, but its also very bad story and dialogue wise.

Inuhanyou

Anyone else have more info or is it still too early to know for these ports? Will buy day 1 if it atleast has english subtitles. I play with japanese audio all the time and do not mind subtitles. Always better that way.

The PS3 version indeed has subs. 360 version is english only, although the port is superior to the ps3 version

Kyougar

Fucking great!

Finished it 3 times. The battle system is awesome. Characters are hit or miss for most people. My biggest issue is the linearity and finality of 2 of the areas (earth and lizard station), you get a sense of hush hush and cant revisit it.

Will rebuy on steam.

At least Star Ocean 4's combat system had some possibility of fun to extract out of it. SO5's battles are clusterfucks of too many characters (party size limits exist for a reason, who thought it was a good idea to have 6 party members in a single real-time battle) and a camera that just does nothing but spaz the fuck out at any given opportunity.

There's no room for strategy in SO5's combat AT ALL, 99% of the game is brainless button mashing at things you can't even see because of the camera, and 1% of it is completely unfair difficulty spikes from bosses that have cheap moves.

The combat wasn't fun enough to keep me going through tedious dungeons with a bunch of annoying characters.

antitrop

The combat wasn't fun enough to keep me going through tedious dungeons with a bunch of annoying characters.
I'm not trying to say SO4 is a good game, either. Just that SO5 recontextualized my idea of how bad SO4 actually was. It could have still been worse.

SO5's gameplay with SO4's characters would probably be the worst RPG ever made.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Would be nice to get a definitive edition of this game. Fun combat system, cool world design, shame about some of the characters, but I dealt. Was much better than the disaster that was 5, and its chaotic mess of a battle system, tiny world, and lack of any type of cinematics (having a space battle where all you see are the bridge sitting around rattling off coordinates and missile vectors at each other). 5 was such a disappointment, 4 was one of the better rpgs last gen.

Delgear

Neo Member
Come on Till the End of time should be remastered. Its pretty much in my opinion The Best Star Ocean there is. There's a freaken raccoon kid with a hatchet a HATCH!!! that's pretty cool plus he's one of the best characters besides Abell

Aters

I do but I'd much rather play it on my TV.

I mean that's your own problem, it's not like SE didn't do anything with it.

Come on Till the End of time should be remastered. Its pretty much in my opinion The Best Star Ocean there is. There's a freaken raccoon kid with a hatchet a HATCH!!! that's pretty cool plus he's one of the best characters besides Abell

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...time/cid=UP0082-CUSA04778_00-SLUS204880000001

Aeana

I'm not trying to say SO4 is a good game, either. Just that SO5 recontextualized my idea of how bad SO4 actually was. It could have still been worse.

SO5's gameplay with SO4's characters would probably be the worst RPG ever made.
Jesus, not even god damned close. There's so many absolutely dire RPGs out there, and no Star Ocean game even begins to approach them.

Top Bottom