• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 for PS3 leaked by GameFly

MechaX

Choke on the Magic said:
Sometimes I think some of you are just too jaded to enjoy games. I saw nothing wrong. I'm a big SO fan though.

Pro-Tip: Jaded or not, they still at least have some advantage in the fact that they actually have played it. Not saying that you will or won't enjoy it though, but just keep that in mind.

Brofist

Wow, I never played this because I had other games and never got around to picking it up, but I thought the consensus was that it's an average RPG. This topic makes it sound like a fucking disaster less worthy of playing than Beyond the Beyond.

goldenpp72

le.phat said:
so apperantly the game sucked balls on 360. I really wonder if SE's exclusivity deals are paying off in the end, seeing as the all the hype has died down, and the perception of SO has turned for the worst they can't really expect gangbuster sales on ps3 now can they ?

They can expect gangbuster sales when they release shit worth playing, which they haven't done this entire generation from what I can see on the HD consoles.

FF13 imo will be their best selling FF title to date when combining the platforms.

Llyranor

The game's not as bad as GAF makes it out to be from youtube videos, but if you get into it for any reason other than the battle system and the battle system alone, brace yourself for disappointment. That being said, the battle system was enjoyable enough to get me all the way to the end - but I didn't find it good enough to sustain multiple replays. Game's been traded away now. Item customization is also pretty neat, but I wouldn't use that as a selling feature.

Frankly, PS3-only gamers would be better off if they localize Vesperia or uncancel Last Remnant; those are easily my two favorite 360 JRPGs and the only ones I haven't traded away after finishing. However, if you're desperate/starved for a JRPG, there are worse choices than SO4. Most people who've actually played it and posted in the official thread have positive things to say about it.

Big B

A Tri-Ace game. ....yeah no.

Can we get Star Ocean 4 exchanged for the Last Remnant, please? That game look at least competent.

dramatis said:
They're actually rather good at battle systems. It's just that their writing staff needs to be fired.

Very true, though to be honest i have not liked a one of them. Weird i know, though i eagerly await Resonance of Fate and really hope that they neuter their writers(or bring back their VP 1 ones)

Rpgmonkey

DangerousDave said:
But it worries me a lot that the scores seems lower than in previous Star Ocean games.

Eh, it's biggest (non-technical) weak points (story and dialogue, annoying/boring characters, poor direction of the voice actors) apply to pretty much the whole series, and some of the minor annoyances can easily be fixed, if you ask me.

If you ask me, if you've played one SO game, you know most of what you should expect for the others.

CO_Andy said:
Do we have to wait til the end of the generation to get a Valkyrie Profile?

IIRC, VP1 was their last game for the PS1 generation, and VP2 was their last game for the PS2 generation.

Based on this, VP3 will be their last game for this generation.

goldenpp72

Llyranor said:
The game's not as bad as GAF makes it out to be from youtube videos, but if you get into it for any reason other than the battle system and the battle system alone, brace yourself for disappointment. That being said, the battle system was enjoyable enough to get me all the way to the end - but I didn't find it good enough to sustain multiple replays. Game's been traded away now. Item customization is also pretty neat, but I wouldn't use that as a selling feature.

Frankly, PS3-only gamers would be better off if they localize Vesperia or uncancel Last Remnant; those are easily my two favorite 360 JRPGs and the only ones I haven't traded away after finishing. However, if you're desperate/starved for a JRPG, there are worse choices than SO4. Most people who've actually played it and posted in the official thread have positive things to say about it.

This is such a weird thing to say, why would anyone buy an rpg based on a combat system that, perhaps good for an rpg, but holds nothing to games with actual focus on combat (ninja gaiden, dmc, soon to be bayonetta, etc).

At least vesperia had both fun combat and a good cast of chars, graphics, music, etc.

I think the only people who enjoy so4 are psychotic anime fans who love high pitched voices for no apparent reason, it didn't help that a lot of the backround cast acted like normal (and even looked normal!) human beings while the other cast were kids that looked like porcelain dolls and acted annoying.

Lets all masturbate to how awesome edge maverick (lol) is!/cast

Loudninja

Rpgmonkey said:
Eh, it's biggest (non-technical) weak points (story and dialogue, annoying/boring characters, poor direction of the voice actors) apply to pretty much the whole series, and some of the minor annoyances can easily be fixed, if you ask me.

If you ask me, if you've played one SO game, you know most of what you should expect for the others.

IIRC, it was their last game for the PS1 generation, and their last game for the PS2 generation, it seems obvious that it'll be their last game for this generation.

Yes this is true all the voice acting was never good in any of the SO games, so it does not bother me.

kassatsu

Banned
slider said:
There's something gaffers say to news/threads like this but I'm not sure what it is.

:|
wah.gif

Rpgmonkey

goldenpp72 said:
This is such a weird thing to say, why would anyone buy an rpg based on a combat system that, perhaps good for an rpg, but holds nothing to games with actual focus on combat (ninja gaiden, dmc, soon to be bayonetta, etc).

Because sometimes there's a difference between RPG combat and Action game combat?

I don't think a lot of characters/stories in a couple of Tales games are anything that interesting, and if I do really enjoy a particular Tales game mostly for the combat, it's because I'm getting something I wouldn't exactly find in Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. Just as an example.

goldenpp72 said:
I think the only people who enjoy so4 are psychotic anime fans who love high pitched voices for no apparent reason

stuburns said:
Another year old port of a mediocre JRPG for PS3! Woooo I can't wait to see the bonus costumes.

I agree with the fact that SO4 is terrible, but why the "another" ? TOV is probably the best JRPG of this generation.

goldenpp72

Rpgmonkey said:
Because sometimes there's a difference between RPG combat and Action game combat?

I don't think a lot of characters/stories in a couple of Tales games are anything that interesting, and if I do play them mostly for the combat, it's because I'm getting something I wouldn't find in Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, I saw nothing but generic anime conventions that were POORLY done, when I saw the pink haired bitch come up on my screen I knew shit was about to go wrong.

And hell I even enjoy a lot of anime, but like anything, only when it's well done. The cast in SO4 is so insufferable especially after playing vesperia, a perfectly localized, long, fun, well paced game with very little flaws.

I should play vesperia again.

Llyranor

goldenpp72 said:
Well, everything aside from the combat system was pretty much mediocre at best.

Combat has enough elements to differ it from straight action game comparisons. Toggling between 4 party members on the fly (and switching them in and out of battle also on the fly) was pretty fun. Managing the entire party during battles was enjoyable (direct controlling the one taking most of the flak, taking advantage of blindsides, tactically using rush mode). There were enough enjoyable gameplay elements in it for me to finish it. Ultimately, though, I much preferred Vesperia's combat (though a huge element of that has to do with co-op).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really understand how you could see the appeal of Vesperia's gameplay but not SO4's. Yes, I know, disgusting animu (and boy, it's fucking disgusting), but why do you play games?

kevm3

Awaits SE's surprise when this game sells like garbage. "What?? How could a year late port of an average game at that not sell?"

DR2K

Banned
goldenpp72 said:

At least vesperia had both fun combat and a good cast of chars, graphics, music, etc.

I think the only people who enjoy so4 are psychotic anime fans who love high pitched voices for no apparent reason, it didn't help that a lot of the backround cast acted like normal (and even looked normal!) human beings while the other cast were kids that looked like porcelain dolls and acted annoying.

Lets all masturbate to how awesome edge maverick (lol) is!/cast

The ignorance steaming from this post is mind numbing. :lol

RPGs can have fun, in depth game systems. I have yet to see an action game offer me anywhere near the levels of customization or options as most Tri-ace games have. If you played more than the play button on random youtube videos, you'd probably understand that. Then again, that would be me giving you too much credit.

Shurs

Angelus said:
Tell that to the forum though. Before this leak it was deemed a shit game. Now its anticipated because its appearing on the 3rd place console that the forum cheerleads 24/7.
:lol

939980_20070612_screen027.jpg

ColdSoup

Neo Member
goldenpp72 said:
This is such a weird thing to say, why would anyone buy an rpg based on an action combat system that, perhaps good for an rpg, but holds nothing to games with actual focus on combat (ninja gaiden, dmc, soon to be bayonetta, etc).

This is precisely why I don't usually buy action rpgs.

Their combat systems won't even be close to top tier action games.

And their stories, characters, writing, and dialogue won't even be close to the best this industry has to offer (which isn't much, sadly).

StuBurns

Banned
LordPhoque said:
I agree with the fact that SO4 is terrible, but why the "another" ? TOV is probably the best JRPG of this generation.
I was actually referring to Eternal Sonata, TOV is nice, but it's still pretty middle of the road.

goldenpp72

DR2K said:

RPGs can have fun, in depth game systems. I have yet to see an action game offer me anywhere near the levels of customization or options as most Tri-ace games have. If you played more than the play button on random youtube videos, you'd probably understand that. Then again, that would be me giving you too much credit.

Why do i want to spend time customizing and working with stats when the game will lead into numerous shitty cutscenes, boring exploring, horrible characters and terrifying voice acting?

At least most action games only have like, 1 minute cutscenes. SO4 was rather long winded at points and is a seriously scary game.

Rpgmonkey

goldenpp72 said:
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, I saw nothing but generic anime conventions that were POORLY done, when I saw the pink haired bitch come up on my screen I knew shit was about to go wrong.

And hell I even enjoy a lot of anime, but like anything, only when it's well done. The cast in SO4 is so insufferable especially after playing vesperia, a perfectly localized, long, fun, well paced game with very little flaws.

I should play vesperia again.

I'm not saying your wrong, I can't say I enjoyed any of SO4's characters or the story, and the character types they used were annoying and/or overused, just that I wouldn't say the only ones who managed to enjoy the game are the creepy anime fans.

goldenpp72

ColdSoup said:
This is precisely why I don't usually buy action rpgs.

Their combat systems won't even be close to top tier action games.

And their stories, characters, writing, and dialogue won't even be close to the best this industry has to offer (which isn't much, sadly).

For me, an rpg will be able to offer much better plot, perhaps setting and character than an action game, so if the combat is also fun its a great plus, but if everything in a jrpg sucks ass aside DECENT combat, I just don't get the point.

Even more sad, dmc4 has a much better story and chars than so4 :lol

MechaX

DR2K said:

That's cool and all, and I do admit that Star Ocean 4's combat is more fun than Vesperia's, but I can definitely understand the sentiment that people don't want to drop $60 on a game that is quite story intensive with absolutely embarrassing execution, even if it does have good battles alone.

And this is not counting in shit dungeons and a potentially good Item Creation system absolutely ruined by disk switching.

DR2K said:

I agree with the ignorance, but that was too scathing. Just so you know, there are a class of people who find the level of customization that you enjoy to be superfluous and poor design.

I belong somewhere between where you and they stand, and for what its worth, i thought that there are worse offenders than SO4, but it IS the worst offender of the HD gen.

rpgfan16k

People can probably tell from my post history that I'm part of the 360 RPG bandwagon (money causes me to put all my eggs in one basket, sadly), so let me just warn my Ps3 brethren that this game is NOT anything special; like Eternal Sonata before it, it just screams "the potential for greatness is there, but..."

Vesperia, on the other hand, is really something special, and the extra content in the ps3 version looks to make things better. If you must choose, ps3 owners, go with the Tales game!

PC Gaijin

I've been holding off on buying SO4 360 waiting for the massive price collapse like every other JRPG on the 360. However, if it gets a PS3 port, and if it has extra content like ToV, and if it is dual audio, and if it actually gets localized and released in the US I would hold out for the PS3 version.

That's a lot of ifs. And the PS3 version might end up running at 240p if ToV PS3 is any indication.

So, the timeline then is something like this:

Star Ocean announced for 360:
- 360 fans: Star Ocean is great!!!
- PS3 fans: Star Ocean is shit!!! (but we have FF XIII)

Star Ocean launches:
- 360 fans: Star Ocean is shit!!!! (but we also have FF XIII)
- PS3 fans: Star Ocean is shit!!!!

Star Ocean announced for PS3:
- 360 fans: Star Ocean is even shitter than before!!!!
- PS3 fans: Star Ocean is a jRPG!!!

Llyranor

cosmicblizzard said:
Well that settles it. I do admit, I'm a bit excited for the laughably bad voice acting/dialogue/body movements
If you're into the 'so bad it's good' stuff, SO4 certainly can enter that territory. The worst scene in the game is also the most hilarious scene in the game. If you don't need to take all your games seriously and don't have the maturity of a 12-yr old, you should be fine.

Top Bottom