• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

Despera

Banned
The Last Story had the best heavy eater.
Game is directed by the same guy who directed Infinite Undiscovery. Expect an upgraded version of this every time the protag goes to eat

ioPBBPA.gif

OmegaDL50

Guy's basically a complete machine with Morphus Brain inside.

He's Impossible Waistline Space Future Robocop

Game is directed by the same guy who directed Infinite Undiscovery. Expect an upgraded version of this every time the protag goes to eat

ioPBBPA.gif

The story director who also handled SO2, and 3.

I know you are joking but If we use the worst case example for every game, then every game would look just as horrible too.

Ogawa's work in SO2 and 3 was decent, outside of the very, very off plot twist in 3.

Arthea

I like that gif, I thought it was pretty silly scene in a game, but it was more in category so bad it's good.
You people are so serious

Datschge

The story director who also handled SO2, and 3.

I know you are joking but If we use the worst case example for every game, then every game would look just as horrible too.

Ogawa's work in SO2 and 3 was decent, outside of the very, very off plot twist in 3.
Yoshiharu Gotanda did the story for SO2 alone. Ogawa was one of the planners (i.e. game designers) for SO2.

Fun fact: Hiroshi Ogawa is also responsible for designing the still most selling Tales game, Tales of Destiny PS1, which basically laid the framework the series adhered to since.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
People complain about little girl characters or characters who have poor understanding of what the concept of clothing is, but the worst design in the series is definitely Bacchus.

Neon green, lanky, Lego Bionicle-looking Buzz Lightyear ripoff. God, he looked terrible.
And his fucking dialogue...

Bacchus: "Edge, even though I am a machine, you made me experience what it feels like to have true friends."
Edge: ">:|"

OmegaDL50

I like that gif, I thought it was pretty silly scene in a game, but it was more in category so bad it's good.

Nah. it's tri-Ace, yo!

The silliness is expected. Wellll outside the more serious Valkyrie Profile.

I mean this is the series had have people asking "What's a masheen, Is it tasty?" - Star Ocean 2.

Even the Welch stuff in SO4 was kind of cringe inducing. We shall not talk about Lymle, although her background story in the Datalog explains A LOT.

Then again I prefer SO3 Welch who at least didn't have that ridiculous purple hair and airhead attitude that SO4 Welch has. Although I think SO3 seemed kind of absentminded sometimes, in fact I don't know if it was just a case of bad VA (probably) because at times she acted mototone I thought she was a robot.

Buuut! Alexander O. Smith did handle the localization efforts for SO3, so most of it was okay, outside of the few aspects.

I think if he handled SO4 localization too, it probably wouldn't be as.....what is the word......awkward...maybe?

aravuus

Can't say I agree. I'm okay with the usual Tri-Ace silliness, but that scene is just so bad it's just bad.

And I'm definitely not a serious person.

Shouta

SO3 Welch was pretty decent as a support char but SO4 Welch.... fml

But yeah, SO4 had a lot of things that were good but the stuff that was bad was realllllly bad. The stuff listed earlier in the thread are examples of some good things it got right.

Arthea

Can't say I agree. I'm okay with the usual Tri-Ace silliness, but that scene is just so bad it's just bad.

And I'm definitely not a serious person.

but tri-Ace silliness isn't so bad it's good, it is usually good, so you might be more serious than you think. Just a thought. ;)
Actually playing SO4 for the first time I laughed a lot, and I mean a lot, mostly at things being unbelievably bad, as that scene with Edge, you know which one (I was thinking" is this for real? I couldn't stop laughing actually), almost at the beginning of a game, or preposterously ridiculous as SO4 Welch.
Only Lymle was not even funny on any level, just annoying.

aravuus

but tri-Ace silliness isn't so bad it's good, it is usually good, so you might be more serious than you think. Just a thought. ;)
Actually playing SO4 for the first time I laughed a lot, and I mean a lot, mostly at things being unbelievably bad, as that scene with Edge, you know which one (I was thinking" is this for real? I couldn't stop laughing actually), almost at the beginning of a game, or preposterously ridiculous as SO4 Welch.

But I didn't say Tri-Ace silliness is so bad it's good! It's just regular silliness, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I'm gonna take being more serious than I think as a compliment lol

I wonder if I still have my SO4 disc somewhere. Haven't played the game in a long time and I kinda feel like trying my hand at breaking the game with item synthesis.

Arthea

But I didn't say Tri-Ace silliness is so bad it's good! It's just regular silliness, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I'm gonna take being more serious than I think as a compliment lol

I wonder if I still have my SO4 disc somewhere. Haven't played the game in a long time and I kinda feel like trying my hand at breaking the game with item synthesis.

I think I already posted it, but no harm in repeating, SO4 is legendary Konami E3 pc of videogames, it really is

Talking about breaking, SO4 trophies really can break anybody (><)

I wonder if now that they are going to be closer to SO2-3 they will talk more about the twist on 3...

I suppose people hoping for a retcon has their best shot on this game =P

And Tri-Ace's comedy is not the best, but I enjoy it. You can facepalm at that scene and know that at least it was intended...

People complain about little girl characters or characters who have poor understanding of what the concept of clothing is, but the worst design in the series is definitely Bacchus.

Neon green, lanky, Lego Bionicle-looking Buzz Lightyear ripoff. God, he looked terrible.
He is the primary reason I refused to play 4. I saw him and just said hell no. I loved Star Ocean 3 but I have my limits.

oddigy

There are some pretty great game-breaking item synthesis tricks in the XB360 version but alas, they were patched for the PS3 version as far as I know.

Arthea

I wonder if now that they are going to be closer to SO2-3 they will talk more about the twist on 3...

And Tri-Ace's comedy is not the best, but I enjoy it. You can facepalm at that scene and know that at least it was intended...

I think they intentionally try to avoid that twist, it really screwed up everything. It's good that there are so big time gaps between the games, so they can make games "inbetween" for a while, don't touching the twist itself.

OmegaDL50

Well we know one thing for certain.

The guy who created the Gravitic Warp engines in the spaceships in Star Ocean 3, was a scientist named Dr. Krupp, and he created these engines on SD 537.

And Star Ocean 5 takes place also on SD 537, so It's very likely we may run into this Dr. Krupp guy.

Also with the inclusion of a Time Gate (SO1 and SO3) and the ability to back or possibly forward through time. And then there is the potential of a multiverse
Alternate Earth in SO4
for example.

This means the time could be changed to prevent events in SO3 Or rather exist alongside them but not mess up anything else. OR be an alternate reality within SO universe which a 3rd universe exists
An Earth that was not destroyed but completely different than the one in Star Ocean 1, 2, and 4

There is plenty of options that be utilized. With
alternate Earth
thing in Star Ocean 4, basically tri-Ace gave themselves a way to not write the story into a corner.

Also just like Star Ocean 1, the Time Gate can be used to go back in time and fix events (If the Time Gate allows them to).

So only tri-Ace knows what will happen with the series plot and it's future.

Kenai

Yea, i felt at many times during the whopping...5? 6? hours i could stomach it that the game was making fun of me for purchasing it.

I am a pretty laid back guy and I love my videogames and everyone who knows me irl knows that, but that's the first time I have ever been embarrassed paying a game, made even worse with the fact that no one was in the room with me that whole time. Reimi was forgettable but not bad, i thought Edge would be the worst, but literally everyone else was far, far worse/terrible and i was filled with such genuine disgust that i returned it the next day.

To say that i am even interested in the next game at all is a testament to my love of JRPGs imo.

aravuus

There are some pretty great game-breaking item synthesis tricks in the XB360 version but alas, they were patched for the PS3 version as far as I know.

Really? Goddamn it, the PS3 version is the only one I've got at the moment

Hate it when stuff like that gets patched. It's not hurting anyone, quite the opposite even.

Arthea

Yea, i felt at many times during the whopping...5? 6? hours i could stomach it that the game was making fun of me for purchasing it.

I am a pretty laid back guy and I love my videogames and everyone who knows me irl knows that, but that's the first time I have ever been embarrassed paying a game, made even worse with the fact that no one was in the room with me that whole time. Reimi was forgettable but not bad, i thought Edge would be the worst, but literally everyone else was far, far worse/terrible and i was filled with such genuine disgust that i returned it the next day.

To say that i am even interested in the next game at all is a testament to my love of JRPGs imo.

lemme guess, you wouldn't watch Wanted or Transformers even if your life depended on it?

I wasn't offended by SO4, gameplay is good and as I said, I had a good laugh out of it, don't really care that for wrong reasons.

OmegaDL50

Hate it when stuff like that gets patched. It's not hurting anyone, quite the opposite even.

It's not that it was patched it's just some items had extra properties added or changed.

Some new chests and items were even added.

For example the Curry Rice item used only have a 20% EXP factor, so when you synthesized it would transfer that effect.

In International it still has the 20% EXP factor, however it also has a +1 ATK factor in front of it.

Weapons can have 8 effects total. So you could basically do

+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP
+20% EXP

To have a +160% EXP effect.

Now with the +1 ATK effect. You now can do.

+1 ATK
+20% EXP
+1 ATK
+20% EXP
+1 ATK
+20% EXP
+1 ATK
+20% EXP

See?

M.D

is that epic games attempt at redesigning mega man or what lol

I think they intentionally try to avoid that twist, it really screwed up everything. It's good that there are so big time gaps between the games, so they can make games "inbetween" for a while, don't touching the twist itself.
Yeah. Ignoring is also a way of retconning I suppose (DMC2 hey).

Either way, I'm curious to see how it'll go.

Well we know one thing for certain.

The guy who created the Gravitic Warp engines in the spaceships in Star Ocean 3, was a scientist named Dr. Krupp, and he created these engines on SD 537.

And Star Ocean 5 takes place also on SD 537, so It's very likely we may run into this Dr. Krupp guy.

Also with the inclusion of a Time Gate (SO1 and SO3) and the ability to back or possibly forward through time. And then there is the potential of a multiverse
Alternate Earth in SO4
for example.

This means the time could be changed to prevent events in SO3 Or rather exist alongside them but not mess up anything else. OR be an alternate reality within SO universe which a 3rd universe exists
An Earth that was not destroyed but completely different than the one in Star Ocean 1, 2, and 4

There is plenty of options that be utilized. With
alternate Earth
thing in Star Ocean 4, basically tri-Ace gave themselves a way to not write the story into a corner.

Also just like Star Ocean 1, the Time Gate can be used to go back in time and fix events (If the Time Gate allows them to).

So only tri-Ace knows what will happen with the series plot and it's future.
Oh boy, I don't remember most of this. Thanks for the writeup.

Anyway, I did not know the timeline matched so perfectly. I'm pretty sure they have something in mind now.

And yeah, tri-Ace was smart enough to not put themselves in a corner, so that's always good, hopefully they are smart about what they're doing.

Oh boy, I can't believe I'm looking forward to a SO story =P

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's really a difference between "I don't like this twist" to "the ending screwed up everything" since the latter implies facts.

SO3 Welch was pretty decent as a support char but SO4 Welch.... fml

But yeah, SO4 had a lot of things that were good but the stuff that was bad was realllllly bad. The stuff listed earlier in the thread are examples of some good things it got right.

Why the fuck isn't anyone bringing up her BEST appearances, both SO1 and SO2! Any Welch from then on was full 'o FAIL.

star-ocean-second-evolution-welch-vineyard.jpg

Kenai

lemme guess, you wouldn't watch Wanted or Transformers even if your life depended on it?

I wasn't offended by SO4, gameplay is good and as I said, I had a good laugh out of it, don't really care that for wrong reasons.

Maybe? I dunno, cheap/tacky movies (are those cheap/tacky?) tend not to run me $64 so i can shrug those off a bit easier. I am a nerd who posts on Neogaf daily, cosplays at places like Gencon and Dragoncon, and waits in line solo for Amiibos at like 5 am if I have the day off. I'm not some bastion of serious behavior, lol.

There were/are plenty of games with good gameplay that were far less of a chore to sit through. As much sh*t as FF13 gets (rightly so I guess?) it looks like Citizen Kayne in comparison, which is pretty sad. Maybe that's why I didn't dislike FF13 as much as some, cause I played SO4 first.

batbeg

ioPBBPA.gif

I hope so! Capell is quite possibly the greatest protagonist in any game ever. He's funny, charming, and doesn't give a fuck. From doing the dinner dance to salivating over "anything" to knocking out the romantic partner when she doesn't get a move on like he says I don't think I've ever liked a JRPG protagonist more.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The last one was only late in the game though. He wasn't really that assertive in the beginning i don't think.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I bet my girl nel still looks pretty even through emulator <3

Also..i've always wondered why Sophia has her jeans unzipped in the beginning with no sign of actual underwear. Like is it that open in outer space? Is this some Blue Gender esque shit?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I can't imagine Nel looking too bad! I have to hand it to Tri-Ace their widescreen options make emulating this look less awful in the UI department compared to other games.

aravuus

I bet my girl nel still looks pretty even through emulator <3

Also..i've always wondered why Sophia has her jeans unzipped in the beginning with no sign of actual underwear. Like is it that open in outer space? Is this some Blue Gender esque shit?

Cause she's a slut

Atlantis

Luckily the battle mechanics themselves are so broken, you don't need to worry about using Synthesis.

MechaX

Protagonist, Fidel is slightly older than standard JRPG lead, 23 years old.

Myuria from SO4 was 23 too, and good fucking god did she milk that "I'm SOOOO old and mature, you all are little boys, I am a total cougar" train for all it's worth.

I'll see if Fidel's older age is a good thing when I see more from him.

SO3 with an upped rendering resolution looks pretty great inside battles!

The cutscene models though... lol

Okay I definitely have to retry playing SO3 on PCSX2, the last time I tried it in 2009 or so it looked very blurry even with a upped resolution but this looks really good! :eek:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Okay I definitely have to retry playing SO3 on PCSX2, the last time I tried it in 2009 or so it looked very blurry even with a upped resolution but this looks really good! :eek:

Yeah to fix that just use the X+ Triangle combo on boot to enable progressive mode! It's as you described unless you enable it.

Yeah to fix that just use the X+ Triangle combo on boot to enable progressive mode! It's as you described unless you enable it.

Ohh that explains it, thanks for the tip! :) Unfortunately though I just tried it and it did not work so I looked around and found that:

"Yes, most of the NTSC games that support progressive scan are also progressive in PAL. However, a handful of PAL titles have had the progressive scan feature removed ... some examples are: SSX3, Splashdown Rides gone Wild, Star Ocean 3, Grant Turismo 4 ..."

Thank you PAL region :( Oh well I'll see if there's a PCSX2 patch to force progressive scan :p

Yeah she was my most hated character too and switching languages didn't help like it did with Lymle.

Oh wow, what does it say about her that I couldn't even remember Sarah until I saw her again just now? o.o

Top Bottom