• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

It's not a SE game, Star Ocean is tri-Aces, even if SE owns IP, what's unfair IMO.
Only tri-Ace are developers, not a publisher.

I understand that, but the reason I commented on SE is because I had assumed from benzy's comment that SE had some involvement in the early reveals and the models in that screen look much more like something from one of SE's internal studios. They don't look like tri-Ace models.

Arthea

I understand that, but the reason I commented on SE is because I had assumed from benzy's comment that SE had some involvement in the early reveals and the models in that screen look much more like something from one of SE's internal studios. They don't look like tri-Ace models.

I really doubt that SE is involved in any way aside from overseeing it. I think the same is true for all SO games.
edited: only it was just Enix before.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The thing is, the CG models are CG. They werent being done by the actual game artists to begin with.

OmegaDL50

I see. I wonder what changed between that reveal and the finished product then. It looks like they were completely redrawn.

I think it's a FFX thing. Higher detail CG models and the lower poly models.

While realisticly I like the look they have in the CG renders, I think Star Ocean 4 would have needed to be a PS4 game to retain the high quality models in the render shots rather then resort to the lower quality ones that only partially represent the art style.

Of course having those cg renders as models while the game retaining it's large environments may not have worked without something to give up in exchange.

Datschge

only SE has nothing to do with how it looks, they just publish them games.
And I don't mind how SO4 looks, it looks well enough imo, the missing facial animation that is the problem and gives them "doll look".
All CG movies in SO4 were handled by Square Enix Visual Works, with Square Enix' Kazuyuki Ikumori directing them. The CG models were done by people different from the game developer.

Arthea

Is everyone too lazy to back up their own claims to ever notice what nonsense they are spouting?

movie director: Kazuyuki Ikumori (SE) (45s in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aD9h2q4V2I#t=45

cg cinematics unit: visual works (3:37 in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aD9h2q4V2I#t=217

why so hostile? Yeah, I am too lazy, I wasn't making any claims, it didn't look to me as SE has something to do with it, that was an opinion, heard of those?
jeez, so touchy
OK they made some CGs, sorry for misleading some people
happy now?

Negator

That has to be the most ingenuine pseudo apology I have ever seen on NeoGAF. You did in fact make claims that could easily be disproven with 10 minutes of fact checking. No, making shit up isn't an opinion.

It's okay to admit you are wrong, but that condescending tone does not feel like you did.

Arthea

That has to be the most ingenuine pseudo apology I have ever seen on NeoGAF. You did in fact make claims that could easily be disproven with 10 minutes of fact checking. No, making shit up isn't an opinion.

It's okay to admit you are wrong, but that condescending tone does not feel like you did.

I made claims? As far as I can see I posted that I doubt SE has anything to do with it, I made no claims whatsoever. If you about "doll look" post that was about in game, not CG
And ya, I'm lazy, sue me ;)

cerulily

Tri-ace are just terrible at translating the 2D art into 3D models though.

I disagree. It's just a star ocean problem

latest

latest

Arthea

I disagree. It's just a star ocean problem

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/valkyrieprofile/images/e/ec/Alicia.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080302102638[/img

[img]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/valkyrieprofile/images/5/5c/Audoula.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110409144505[/img[/QUOTE]

funny that you bring this up, I always thought that Alicia in game looks much more childlike than in artwork. Don't you agree?

edited:
I agree with benzy about RoF models, they are great.

Rising_Hei

Their male models are usually good enough, their problem is when they try to make women that look cute, not sexy and hot (they usually get this right) but cute and innocent.

jzbluz

I miss VP and I never did finish VP2, but nowadays I hate using emulators. Although, the same thing would probably happen as with RoF, which I was surprised to find that it looked like crap when I bought it in the psn.

Eeeeeew!!!!!

...she done got Lymle-d.

Kay-O.

Ha! Lymle wishes she looked that good.

OmegaDL50

I still am impressed with the VP2 character models and environments to this day.

Even playing the game upscaled on PCSX2 it looks on par with some early PS3 stuff.

A shame it's not re-released as a PS2 Classic, VP2 has some issues via emulation that wouldn't likely be present as a PS2 Classic.

OmegaDL50

PCSX2 won't run VP2 properly :/

Yeah, I know. There are some effects you need to disable in the Forest Area due to these graphical tricks not being emulated yet.

There is also something about vertical scan lines too which is actually because the game is trying to render a effect that doesn't work on PCSX2.

If it was PS2 Classic, all of these things would probably be a non-issue.

Falk

that puzzling face
All CG movies in SO4 were handled by Square Enix Visual Works, with Square Enix' Kazuyuki Ikumori directing them. The CG models were done by people different from the game developer.

Are you sure about this?

I still chuckle when people find it surprising Visual Works does a plethora of other Square Enix IPs including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I still chuckle when people find it surprising Visual Works does a plethora of other Square Enix IPs including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

I think its more scary when people find it surprising the CG isn't done by the actual game artists themselves(which goes for almost literally every other CG in games out there too)

XJF

PCSX2 won't run VP2 properly :/

Thankfully, this doesn't affect me. :-D

I'll probably tackle this after my current playthrough of FFVI. I remember buying this at release but I never beat it, remember getting stuck mid-game and rage-quitting. haha.

On topic, I did get my GF to start playing The Last Hope in preparation of this game eventually launching. Wish there was a way to play SO and SO2 on the PS4 or PS3. may have been able to get her to play those as well. Handhelds aren't her thing.

OmegaDL50

Thankfully, this doesn't affect me. :-D

I'll probably tackle this after my current playthrough of FFVI. I remember buying this at release but I never beat it, remember getting stuck mid-game and rage-quitting. haha.

On topic, I did get my GF to start playing The Last Hope in preparation of this game eventually launching. Wish there was a way to play SO and SO2 on the PS4 or PS3. may have been able to get her to play those as well. Handhelds aren't her thing.

Well I currently don't have a choice in how I play Valkyrie Profile 2 or any of my other PS2 collection. My PS2 Slim power brick was lost. So I until I buy a new one I'm stuck playing PS2 games via emulation or PS2 Classics.

f5ABAWX.jpg

Almost my entire tri-Ace collection.

Not shown.
- Loose discs of Star Ocean 2nd Story for PSX (I do not have a case or manual unfortunately)
- Star Ocean First Depature PSP
- Star Ocean Second Evolution PSP

That's pretty much it.

IT seems that closely but surely JRPGs are making a legitimate comeback.

A most welcome one at that.

Now all we need is for there to be a new Suikoden announced for PS4. I know you guys would love to see that!

MCD

ROF had the nicest models but gameplay bore me to tears. Take ages just to finish a single random encounter.

Stop flipping around in the air and just shoot, dammit.

In terms of SO, 2 is still my fav. Just had a nice air around it that you don't find anymore nowadays.

OmegaDL50

IT seems that closely but surely JRPGs are making a legitimate comeback.

A most welcome one at that.

Now all we need is for there to be a new Suikoden announced for PS4. I know you guys would love to see that!

I'm not sure I can trust Konami to make another Suikoden game that doesn't take place in the canon 27 True Runes universe, or without which ever staff that were involved with Suikoden V to handle it's development. (Which was the last game in the series that was the closest to matching the greatness of Suikoden II in my opinion)

The last two games weren't even in the same universe as 1 through 5 nor at the same quality of the other titles in the series.

Wagram

One of these days i'll have to finish Radiata Stories. I've tried at least 4 times but I always seem to stop at the same spot.

I remember the exact moment when I dropped Radiata Stories, I think it was pretty early on
(when you are kicked out of the castle and is no longer a knight... or something like that)

I just liked the beginning of the game so much that I was disappointed when it changed...

But going back to Star Ocean, I think I'm going to replay the series (at least 1-3), since I need some good action RPGs to tie me over until stuff like Ys VIII drops (and also because these games are pretty replayable).

Reveirg

Speaking of Tri-Ace, I tried Radiata Stories a few weeks back... Played 2 hours and I found most of it to be terrible. Bad writing, horrible VOs, no story hook, linear and bland exploration, etc. Even the battles seemed clunky. And I actually usually like Tri-Ace's titles, including Infinite Undiscovery. Is it worth trying it again? Does it get better?

Wagram

I remember the exact moment when I dropped Radiata Stories, I think it was pretty early on
(when you are kicked out of the castle and is no longer a knight... or something like that)

I just liked the beginning of the game so much that I was disappointed when it changed...

But going back to Star Ocean, I think I'm going to replay the series (at least 1-3), since I need some good action RPGs to tie me over until stuff like Ys VIII drops (and also because these games are pretty replayable).

Pretty sure that's the exact same spot I always quit at.

Dice//

Banned
Their male models are usually good enough, their problem is when they try to make women that look cute, not sexy and hot (they usually get this right) but cute and innocent.

Wait, that's bad??

Alicia (VP2) and Leanne (RoF) are probably examples of "good cute" too, not this moe-moe "ugguuu~ oniiiii chaaan" jargon.

Innocence feels more like a trait to be admired and they weren't really 'fetishized' for it; they weren't matronly nor were they helpless.

Xenus

It gets better and offers one of the few real branching choices in games later though

Speaking of Tri-Ace, I tried Radiata Stories a few weeks back... Played 2 hours and I found most of it to be terrible. Bad writing, horrible VOs, no story hook, linear and bland exploration, etc. Even the battles seemed clunky. And I actually usually like Tri-Ace's titles, including Infinite Undiscovery. Is it worth trying it again? Does it get better?

Yes, it gets better especially the story. Also, later you can recruit characters but everything else will remain bland. Radiata Stories is my least favourtie tri-ace game I've played.

XJF

Almost my entire tri-Ace collection.

Haha, sorry. I still have my launch B/C PS3 and my sister gave me her slim PS2 a few years back because my fat one died. I have all of those except Radiata Stories. Never got around to playing that one.

Are we posting our tri-ace collections now?
I'm not gonna lie, I forgot that SO2 came out on PS1. for some reason i thought the first two were (S)NES? Forgot which. But now I remember that they never release two new ones during the same generation lol

Kudo

I only have Till the End of Time and The Last Hope for X360..
I have one unopened PS2 so currently trying to find Valkyria Profile 2 if I could play that one of these days, I've only heard praise about that game so I guess it's about time.
Also just my country or is Star Ocean 4 International PS3 out of stock everywhere? Maybe the announcement sold all the last stock stores had and I was too late.

cerulily

I only have Till the End of Time and The Last Hope for X360..
I have one unopened PS2 so currently trying to find Valkyria Profile 2 if I could play that one of these days, I've only heard praise about that game so I guess it's about time.
Also just my country or is Star Ocean 4 International PS3 out of stock everywhere? Maybe the announcement sold all the last stock stores had and I was too late.

You would think they'd be a bit more expensive, but they're not really that much.

OmegaDL50

The plot hook doesn't pick up until several hours into the game, and I would not call the game linear. It does get better, 2 hours really isn't very far into the game and really doesn't allow you the freedoms you don't get until a certain point.

As once you are fired from the knights very early in the game you are pretty much allowed to go anywhere (character levels permitted)

The premise is similar to a Suikoden game actually recruiting dozens of characters for your army without the large scale war battles.

I will put the rest of the post in spoiler tags in case you may give the game another chance.

Basically the main joins the Knights and you are sent to broker a trade agreement with the Elves who are part of the non-humans. The mission is botched when Blood Orcs attack the Elves, when one of your companions, Ridley is seriously injured and near dead Elf fuses it's spirit with Ridley to save her life.

Ridley was the daughter of a high ranking official in the Castle pressures the Knight Commander to expelling the Main from the Knights, and thus he is effectively fired.

Main joins a mercenary group called Theater Vancoor. Eventually the Knights go on a mission to persuade the Dwarves to resume trade with the Humans. a knight commander by the name of Cross Ward attacks the Dwarves, as a result triggers a war between the Humans and Non-Humans.

It's up to the Main to recruit as many allies as he possibly can (There is 174 recruits in the game + Main so, 175 characters total) However you are forced to choose between either the Humans or Non-humans so basically half the recruits are human side only and the other half is Non-Humans, so there is replay value, also on new game plus you keep the characters you recruited regardless of side.
Also getting all 174 characters allows you see the true ending.

Vorpal

I could switch Infinite Undiscovery with Radiata Stories here and basically describe my own experience. I felt like all of those things applied to IU and I couldn't last for more than ~10 hours or so. Does IU get better? (Not trying to be pithy here. I'm actually curious about going back to the game sometime.)

Because of its aesthetic and Suikoden-style character recruiting, Radiata Stories is probably my favorite non-SO tri-Ace game. I friggin' love the character design/in-game models, the world, and the UI. Everything fits. That said, the battle system is definitely clunky. (Time probably hasn't helped much, either.) I think the novelty of trying out different party combinations with all the additional characters helps.

I always thought that Radiata Stories had the potential to become one of those series where people would say, "The first one is OK, but the second one improved on the formula a LOT."

Arthea

I could switch Infinite Undiscovery with Radiata Stories here and basically describe my own experience. I felt like all of those things applied to IU and I couldn't last for more than ~10 hours or so. Does IU get better? (Not trying to be pithy here. I'm actually curious about going back to the game sometime.)

Because of its aesthetic and Suikoden-style character recruiting, Radiata Stories is probably my favorite non-SO tri-Ace game. I friggin' love the character design/in-game models, the world, and the UI. Everything fits. That said, the battle system is definitely clunky. (Time probably hasn't helped much, either.) I think the novelty of trying out different party combinations with all the additional characters helps.

I always thought that Radiata Stories had the potential to become one of those series where people would say, "The first one is OK, but the second one improved on the formula a LOT."
I approve your avatar a lot.

Wait... you like Radiata Stories more than VP? Is that even possible? Don't get me wrong RS isn't a bad game, but it is a tad boring. I agree about potential, though. It's a pity we never got RS2.
OTOH, I felt the same about Radiant Historia, it had potential, but it had too many flaws. So I'm not entirely sure RS2 would have been any better. Granted, only part of RS team worked on RH, maybe I'm being unfair.

Vorpal

I approve your avatar a lot.

Wait... you like Radiata Stories more than VP? Is that even possible? Don't get me wrong RS isn't a bad game, but it is a tad boring. I agree about potential, though. It's a pity we never got RS2.
OTOH, I felt the same about Radiant Historia, it had potential, but it had too many flaws. So I'm not entirely sure RS2 would have been any better. Granted, only part of RS team worked on RH, maybe I'm being unfair.

Your username makes me think of Lufia, so approval reciprocated.

Man, VP is an excellent game and high on my list of PS1 favorites. I wouldn't try to argue that RS is better, I'm just more often in the mood for its goofy/adventure vibe than VP's serious I'm-listening-to-people-dying vibe. If I could put VP's insanely addictive battle system into RS, I'd be set.

Then again, that basically puts us back into Radiant Historia territory, which fell flat for me. (As much as I wanted to love it.)

Top Bottom