• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

Teletraan1

Banned
These games are what they are in terms of characters and character models it seems. Expecting something different is not going to work out for anyone. As long as the battle system is competent I can play anything. At least it isn't a boy band sausage fest.

why does this look so bland? or maybe not just bland, but outdated. it just reminds me of the 2000's. Maybe it is the tiling.

YjQfj8K.jpg

MilkBeard

Star Ocean 2, 3 and 4 were huge games. It would require an astronomical budget to include all the content at a high level of detail shown in the tech demo. I mean, SO4 was doing open world design and HD towns when even FF XIII didn't. So in a way, you have to kind of expect this. If you want a full game with lots of content, and for them to be able to make a profit at selling around a million worldwide, this is what you can expect.

If SO5 does well, then maybe it might put Tri-Ace back on the map for full-fledged console games. But of course, that will depend on people's reaction to the game. The key for Tr-Ace is consistency in game design. Pre SO4, the games really felt consistent in my opinion.

It would be nice to eventually get another RoF type of game from them.

MilkBeard

why does this look so bland? or maybe not just bland, but outdated. it just reminds me of the 2000's. Maybe it is the tiling.

They are definitely not pushing the envelope tech-wise. In some ways, I've noticed that some of the scenery shots remind me of the pre-rendered backgrounds from SO2. They do look a little bland, but in some ways they remind me of that old design which is cool in my book.

The SO4 gifs remind me of the awkward interactions between puppets you'd see in shows like Thunderbirds.

I think the cast looks mostly fine. Not sure what to make of the screen with NPCs in it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does this gif kill the excitement?
29a2aefede.gif

Yep...that's Star Ocean 4 alright. I think i might have to go bleach my brain again, like i did after playing it last.

Luckily a majority of the SO4 guys are long gone by now and not working on this one

Toxi

Banned
Japanese game. Pages and pages of people complaining that it doesn't appeal to their western aesthetics. Rinse and repeat.
Or maybe they just think it looks like shit and it has nothing to do with "western aesthetics." This sort of defense comes as insulting both to non-Japanese gamers and the many, many Japanese games with better aesthetics than Star Ocean 5.

Hugstable

Banned
They are definitely not pushing the envelope tech-wise. In some ways, I've noticed that some of the scenery shots remind me of the pre-rendered backgrounds from SO2. They do look a little bland, but in some ways they remind me of that old design which is cool in my book.

With the "HD" pics, it's much easier to see the textures of the areas now and they aren't all that great and muddy, but we need to remember that it's also a PS3 game as well. Honestly though, none of that really matters for me if we can finally start getting JRPG's at a decent rate this gen. I'm all for the games not pushing the envelope in tech.

benzy

Windows lights don't seem to illuminate anything, so the lighting on walls and the ceiling looks really basic and flat. Compared to this scene below where you notice the lighsources affect the room walls as well as the character. I suspect the church area will improve since the game is only 30% complete.

agqspr.jpg

Arthea

Or maybe they just think it looks like shit and it has nothing to do with "western aesthetics." This sort of defense comes as insulting both to non-Japanese gamers and the many, many Japanese games with better aesthetics than Star Ocean 5.

Only it doesn't look like shit, so yeah, it is tiresome.
People can dislike anything, it doesn't mean that their opinion is paramount.
also lol at insulting

Oh dear, her face is Xenoblade X levels of hilarious but eh, the rest of it is looking pretty good. Liking how some of the battlegrounds look already. Can't wait to hear more about this.

Vena

Everything just looks flat. The textures and lighting have no depth, the latter has no sensible origin point and is just baked into the objects/odels it would seem.

Despera

Banned
I don't mind flat textures as long as the end result has a clean look to it. Not expecting Tri-Ace to achieve any amazing graphical feats with this game... but I'm excited for a new SO and if the game ends up looking as sharp as those screens on the PS4 I ain't complaining.

At least the character models don't look as weird as the ones in SO3/4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't mind flat textures as long as the end result has a clean look to it. Not expecting Tri-Ace to achieve any amazing graphical feats with this game... but I'm excited for a new SO and if the game ends up looking as sharp as those screens on the PS4 I ain't complaining.

At least the character models don't look as weird as the ones in SO3/4.

Is someone else trying to stain the greatness that is nel!?

Sinoox

Banned
I should be more stoked for this, but Tri-Ace's track record hasn't been very good for some years now. The third game was amazing to me; obviously unpolished in some areas, but the rest of the game was so solid I could overlook it. I liked the fourth game, but the characters were super annoying and it ended abruptly for me in comparison to the last game. I'm glad to know the Star Ocean brand isn't dead, but I'd rather see a reboot after the twist they had in the third game.

OmegaDL50

This game looks amazing.

Is it gonna be open world ? The screens seem ambitious in scope and style.

I'd say it's fair to say exploration will be similar to that of Star Ocean 3 and 4.

Which is basically semi-open world. I mean the maps for Star Ocean 3 and 4 were fairly large, also you got rewards in SO3 for filling in the entire map for each area (I kind of hope that returns for SO5 honestly)

My real concern is about how Battle Trophies are going to be handled. I'd prefer it was closer to the Star Ocean 3 side of things rather than what they did with Star Ocean 4.

HeelPower

I'd say it's fair to say exploration will be similar to that of Star Ocean 3 and 4.

Which is basically semi-open world. I mean the maps for Star Ocean 3 and 4 were fairly large, also you got rewards in SO3 for filling in the entire map for each area (I kind of hope that returns for SO5 honestly)

My real concern is about how Battle Trophies are going to be handled. I'd prefer it was closer to the Star Ocean 3 side of things rather than what they did with Star Ocean 4.

Cool.Sounds good.

Exploration of any kind is always a plus.Seamless battles sound good too.

Yes played tales and loved the combat, thought the rest of the game was lacking though, no exploration, loot was bad, story was bad etc... I'll keep an eye on this though.

In that list I'd say SO does better exploration and loot. Quality on the story and characters varies wildly from game to game.

Top Bottom