• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

Dice//

Banned
Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Still anime like crazy, but with less....bizarre proportioning and 'alien' features.
I widened the head for one (it's super narrow otherwise), made the eyes a little smaller and less round, added a small nose so she doesn't look like a thumb.

I get Star Ocean 5 so I think I win either way!

Yeah I'm def not one of those. So whynotboth.gif for the win.

Arthea

I get Star Ocean 5 so I think I win either way!

seconded!
now we only need that new VP announced and will be well

edited: after your effort, Dice, it suddenly occurred to me that maybe we are all looking at her in a wrong way, maybe she is supposed to look alien, because she is in fact an alien?

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Still anime like crazy, but with less....bizarre proportioning and 'alien' features.
I widened the head for one (it's super narrow otherwise), made the eyes a little smaller and less round, added a small nose so she doesn't look like a thumb.

Gotanda called, you're hired!

seriously?

too much to ready, summary would do

Something so complex and monumental as this sea change described there cannot be TLDRed.

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Definitely better. Now her nose doesn't go into her face!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I think I need to play Xenoblade first before getting excited for it's sequel! Combat looks like something that might be a problem for me with Xenoblade but I'll have to get around to playing it first to be sure.

Xenus

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Goes to show minor tweaks to a design can make a huge difference

Hugstable

Banned
Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Oh wow, that actually looks better

Dice//

Banned
Goes to show minor tweaks to a design can make a huge difference

Honestly, that's really ALL it is. tri-Ace basically gave everything to work with they just fucked up the 'unified whole' that makes her look like she's an alien....well, even though she might be one....

EDIT: Sorry, I shouldn't say "fucked up". It just came out a little awkward in the final product and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly, that's really ALL it is. tri-Ace basically gave everything to work with they just fucked up the 'unified whole' that makes her look like she's an alien....well, even though she might be one....

Well I'm hoping it'll be tweaked to something that looks more pleasing before release, but as long as the combat is still good I'll be there either way.

Dice//

Banned
Well I'm hoping it'll be tweaked to something that looks more pleasing before release, but as long as the combat is still good I'll be there either way.

Haha of course, I'll be on that Day 1 like I was for the other games...
It's just that I'm proficient in Photoshop and couldn't help myself when an HD screenshot rolled around

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think you guys are worrying too much about that one still. I doubt she'll look too jarring with the game in motion

We need trailers! It might be a bit too early to show though so that might be why we only got a timeline trailer.

Haha of course, I'll be on that Day 1 like I was for the other games...
It's just that I'm proficient in Photoshop and couldn't help myself when an HD screenshot rolled around

I did something similar drawing-wise and drew over a screenshot to work out the proportions of purple hair's head and found out they were really off. lol

Lucent

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Still prefer original.

Xenus

Well that generally is the bane of programmer art. They know what they are trying to achieve just don't have the artistic sense to know why it looks wrong. Just that it doesn't look quite like what they envisioned.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ehhh I take the original design over the edit. Maybe change the eye position to the edit but the nose is a big no no no.

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Thing you made definitely improves the original.
16979_original.jpg

Hope they still make little tweaks like this to the game. It'll improve what already looked fairly decent to me.

Navid

I'm not someone who has followed the past Star Ocean titles, but is the environment and character styles in those previous titles equally miss-matched as it seemingly is in this game..?

It is really surprising/interesting to me the thought that went into making the environment style look somewhat realistic while the characters on the other hand seem like they have been cut and pasted into the world from a completely different game with entirely different visual sensibilities.

OnFire331

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

That... huh... doesn't look good at all. You stretched the face and the nose doesn't fit and her eyes look angrier and aren't looking at the camera anymore. You missed the expression it was trying to convey (even if the original looks a bit off).

edit: Honestly, if they'd tweak the model so that it looks like this from all angles. It'd be perfect.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/298/G029832/20150417056/SS/030.jpg

Dice//

Banned
Ehhh I take the original design over the edit. Maybe change the eye position to the edit but the nose is a big no no no.

Haha I think your avatar almost works perfectly with this response since that dino baby had the tiniest shnozz ever. But yeah I totally get it. I was actually amazed and surprised (but far from upset) when anime fans DO react to having nostrils or indeed a human-esque nose added to what is more in essence an "anime person". In that case, I really can't do much there, and that's fine.

Still, the face positioning was what bugged me the most, like you kinda saw. The "nose bump" in the original is definitely super low and the eyes are really far (and head very tall/narrow) -- that was what I wanted to take on most.

I think she'd look adorable as hell as an anime animated character (or if it were based more off her original artwork look...something got lost in translation to 3D though).

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

I don't know.....but I like the original better. Your version looks too generic IMO.

RPGam3r

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Nicely done. BUT I prefer the original, the style is odd and reminda me of the SO art before being turned into models.

I don't mind something looking different, your change turns something unique into generic anime woman number 10.

Still nicely done though!

Despera

Banned
That... huh... doesn't look good at all. You stretched the face and the nose doesn't fit and her eyes look angrier and aren't looking at the camera anymore. You missed the expression it was trying to convey (even if the original looks a bit off).
hmm... the face definitely looks wider/stretched in the edit. Maybe a slimmer version would look better?

The real question is... how many hypothetical plastic surgery operations does she have to undergo before we accept her the way she is? :p

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

They need to hire you.

For cross-gen I think this looks great. I loved Star Ocean back in the day, although the series has gone downhill with the past few entries. Still I live in hope and more JRPG's are always welcome.

OnFire331

Some of the shots look like RL action figures on a diorama. Awesome effect.

JF0jw1c.jpg

They had a similar effect going on in SO4 (at least on 360, it was toned down on PS3) but the bloom and the low resolution keep it from looking quite as good as that, and ended up making the models look like plastic. Still the lighting engine was pretty impressive back when it came out. This seems to be what they were really going for in SO4, it looks great.

grumble

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

One thing I just realized is that she might actually be an alien. If that is true, having features we'd consider unnatural actually makes sense.

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Hmm at first I thought that her face looked odd as hell. I'm getting used to it, but wouldn't mind if they changed it. I mean the MC looks different from normal anime style characters too, but he doesn't strike me as weird looking like she does. I think it's because of how spread out her eyes are.

Shredderi

Hey look I made a thing:
w3aKeqi.jpg

Wow that is much better. It may be generic but this is one of those times where I would take generic over... whatever the original is supposed to be. I mean she could be kind of adorable with small changes but as it is now, I don't really like it. Not a deal breaker though if the games ends up being good.

Dice//

Banned
Pinkish Hair and not a human?

Sophie+Lhant.png

NOOOOOO

jk :p

Sophie normally represents what I hate in anime characters; usually that naiativity and innocence is played up for cheap jokes, but her emotional depth, development, and, yeah, that 'everything is new to me' attitude made her a lot of fun. But Tales was great at subverting the common personality here, I thought she was darling (it certainly helps that ToG's skits and win quotes are pretty top tier).

Xenus

Wow that is much better. It may be generic but this is one of those times where I would take generic over... whatever the original is supposed to be. I mean she could be kind of adorable with small changes but as it is now, I don't really like it. Not a deal breaker though if the games ends up being good.

Pretty much. I think the eye change is what's needed most of all though. The eyes in that screen just scream something is wrong at me.

Hugstable

Banned
Sophie normally represents what I hate in anime characters; usually that naiativity and innocence is played up for cheap jokes, but her emotional depth, development, and, yeah, that 'everything is new to me' attitude made her a lot of fun. But Tales was great at subverting the common personality here, I thought she was darling (it certainly helps that ToG's skits and win quotes are pretty top tier).

haha I love her Crablettes win quotes. I really started to like her close to the end, though Pascal and Hubert were my real favorite from that game.

I should probably find a way to play SO4 sooner or later. Wonder if it will have any connection to SO5. I've played through the other games, but I have the PSP remakes and never played those, so I might be down for some replays of those to get me excited for 5.

Top Bottom