• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

M3d10n

Heh, I'll consider those bullshots until the game is out. The difference between SO4's pre-release bullshots and the actual game were gigantic.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
anime games should try to look like cartoons, i've always hated the xenosaga/star ocean approach of making em look like creepy dolls.

I've always thought SO3&4 and Xenosaga were examples of exactly how not to translate anime into 3D. They all had these weird chipmunk-like faces because exaggerated anime-like facial proportions just do not translate well into a 3D model. SO4 is the worst offender with its realistic lighting, which makes the characters look like soulless rubber dolls. And of course you had characters like Lymle who hold their arms out at a 30-degree angle so they don't clip through their outfit, which makes it look even more doll-like.

I think Xenosaga 2 & 3, as well as the Tales games, do a much better job of taking anime into 3D.

Parfait

I guess he looks pretty badass for a 12-year old who is about to save the universe.

RFap6tc.jpg

I get that he's not grizzled caucasian war veteran but in no way does he look young enough to be 12. At LEAST he looks 18-19.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The hypebole is strong. I think they would have to do a decent amount writing wise to get worse than SO4.

Considering the only major reason SO3 even gets any shit is because of the twist, as long as they avoid something like that, a fairly straightforward adventure should already be better

SO4 was a fairly straightforward adventure without a stupid plot twist, and it was still a bad game.

And honestly SO3 was absolutely terrible in a lot of ways. It had a fantastic battle system and good music but that's all. I don't even consider the big twist to be the worst part of it.

MikeSan

Hope we'll a real gameplay trailer asap, but for now, based on the screenshots, the game looks pretty nice.

Hope Square Enix won't make us wait too long before announcing a localisation.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any other platforms would have been announced already. For instance DDO or SFV.

Well I wait for western press releases first at least before I put the idea out of my head entirely.

indeed, but the game is in production. they might populate the world with npc's later

Well their other games usually have a good amount of people wandering about so I expect them to get added in.

Dark_castle

damn i always ignored the atelier games, but i have to admit and repeat myself, those are some fine character models. An perfect transition of those anime designs

Why aren't other JRPG's using this style? What a shame

While I agree that those Atelier games does have nice character models, I don't really want all games to follow the same cartoony style. Tri-ace had made games like Resonance of Fate and Valkyrie's Profile 2 with competent character design and model, so obviously 3D character model could work.

resonance-of-fate-1269024778.jpg

9.jpg

Pyrrhus

If the game itself is a proper, oldschool style jRPG in the 16- or 32-bit mold, I can deal with the character designs. I don't think the main is bad and his derpy little destined love is inoffensive enough. The sex harlequin/witch girl is kind of embarrassing but if it's a proper RPG with items and explorable towns, dungeons, and an overworld, I can deal.

It's been such a long time since I played a modern, full size jRPG with traditional progression and world design. Admittedly, I guess I could be playing more Tales games if that's really what I want. But I guess I'm saying I want this one to be good, for my own sake.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Love Fidel (lol, what a name) and this character:

l_552ceb6d71c790pxbu.jpg

That witch is just... ugh. I'd take Lymle over her any day (and I hate Lymle with a burning passion).

paolo11

He looks a bit similar to Fayt in SO3. I like the visuals though. I just hope whatever is on the screenshot now is the same on gameplay.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Have an awesome battle system, craft/skill system, and a ridridiculous amount of post game content. I'm there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know, I've been replaying SO3, and outside of the inane twist at the end it actually pulled off a space faring RPG story very well. I used to think SO2 was better, but after replaying 1, then 2, and now 3 I can safely say SO3 has the strongest plot and characterization in the series. Seeing as how SO5 is supposed to take a page from 3's book, that gives me a lot of hope for this game. And they know how people reacted to the
4D beings
, so they won't pull something like that again. The characters here look like they have room for a lot of personality and backstory, even if they do end up using tropes.

Oh, and pink haired girl's face reminds me a bit of Maya from Ace Attorney... is it just me?

l_552ceb4a0086dy4zhu.jpg

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-maya-fey.jpg

RichardKSJ

How's this?

spgirl_by_richardksj-d8q0mnh.png

so5girl_by_richardksj-d8q0nmi.gif

Moved eyes closer (a very small amount) and upped the noes and did some defining. Also smoothed the face, yes even more.

kiryogi

Banned
While I defended xenoblade X. This is another level and honestly. This is also what Star Ocean always has been like. Not sure what folks expected? Also Valkyrie Profile and Resonance Of Fate were done by a different team. If I recall correctly with Triace, there was the star ocean team and then the vp team. Hence the jarring disparity. I don't think we're gonna see any major changes here.

So far the bull-/screen shots look decent enough. Can't wait for the Star Ocean: Remastered Story so I can get a Star Ocean 5: Demo Episode redeem code so I can play it.

Top Bottom