• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

kiryogi

Banned
I disagree coooooompletely. Star Ocean has not always been like this. Its only been since 4 has it been Space Harem Simulator.
Uh. Did you miss the visuals from Star Ocean 3 that were posted in here?

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing here. But visually since the dawn of Star Ocean, it's always had this aesthetic. For better or worse. The remakes on PSP make this more apparent as well.

Dice//

Banned
While I agree that those Atelier games does have nice character models, I don't really want all games to follow the same cartoony style. Tri-ace had made games like Resonance of Fate and Valkyrie's Profile 2 with competent character design and model, so obviously 3D character model could work.

resonance-of-fate-1269024778.jpg

Beautiful!

Yeah they could have done a LOT more to make the game resemble the art better, if they did it wouldn't be so awkward to look at.

she just needs a nose now instead of an indentation in her thumb face

That too. It's the lack of nose that's actually really got me bothered. x)
I can deal with the rest, but I hate that anime 'nub nose'...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I like the girl with the green pigtails, but like others said the purple haired girl with bangs looks strange to me... could be the lack of nose coupled with the flat face...

Environments don't look too bad but I'd need to see higher quality screens to judge. Interested in seeing some of the more sci-fi/fantastical ones instead of basic RPG village ones.

Honestly my favorite SO character designs have always been the first game's:

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LQyNmyY.jpg

Is Blondie a dude? I'm thinking probably.
Hot damn, that sword. I'm liking this... dude? Girl? more and more. I thought it was a girl until this shot, now I'm not sure.

Edit: Apparently he fights using his sword in one hand, and his sheath in the other. Automatic favorite character.

XTy1IvF.jpg

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
LQyNmyY.jpg

Is Blondie a dude? I'm thinking probably.

Looks like a blonde version of Dias.

I hope they have some crazier characters. My favorite Star Ocean characters are the completely goofy ones that you don't see anywhere else (kung fu pharmacist, girl who throws robot grenades, werewolf who fights with a staff, cyborg, reporter who uses a cel phone and taser as weapons, etc)

Looks like a blonde version of Dias.

I hope they have some crazier characters. My favorite Star Ocean characters are the completely goofy ones that you don't see anywhere else (kung fu pharmacist, girl who throws robot grenades, werewolf who fights with a staff, cyborg, reporter who uses a cel phone and taser as weapons, etc)

ashton.jpg

My absolute favorite SO character.

kiryogi

Banned
The other problem here is like Street fighter 4, they're definitely not translating akimans designs over in a good manner. Not sure if you can. The base stuff from Akiman looks fantastic but bringing that ingame is just whole different hurdle.

Dice//

Banned
Love these:
SO5_Fami-shot_04-17-15_026.jpg

Y'know, y'all can complain about the characters, but holy shit those environments are amazing (this is like the Xenoblade X topic all over again, poor enviro artists)...

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
ashton.jpg

My absolute favorite SO character.

Ashton is awesome but my favorite is:
SCPTSXK.jpg

How can you beat a pharmacist who does kung fu and throws exploding pills at you?

Opera was kick ass as well. Alpha On One and Healing Star are insanely powerful if you power them up all the way.

With a little adjustment, the distance between her eyes can be fixed to look natural. My other problem is personal: I can't stand her not having a nose. No, that's not good enough, it's more like a bump on the flat of her face. And I don't like ax-blade jaws in character designs, where the jaw area is designed to extend as far as the nose goes (it stands back from the nose in our reality, can't figure out the positives of using ax-blade jaws on characters in environments this detailed/realistically shaded). Of course, these qualities might be too associated with the character trope she fits into, so I'm going to have trouble warming up anyhow.

Those are really dull pictures to show off in terms of posing, which makes a difference (compare them to screens posted here of models from Atelier games already finished).

BadWolf

Love these:
SO5_Fami-shot_04-17-15_026.jpg

Y'know, y'all can complain about the characters, but holy shit those environments are amazing (this is like the Xenoblade X topic all over again, poor enviro artists)...

That does look really good.

And I'm digging the main character's jacket in all these shots.

RangerBAD

"Seamless real time battles" reeks of unstable frame rates. Maybe the PS4 version will be fine
(I'm very pessimistic)

Jeels

I'm not that into it, but I'll withhold judgment until we get closer to release. I really enjoyed SO3 so willing to give this a chance.

Tri Ace's PS3/360 output really bummed me out though.

That does look really good.

And I'm digging the main character's jacket in all these shots.
It's the first time in a long time where I can look at a JRPG main character's design and not find something that immediatly makes me think "this is stupid".

He looks like a Fire Emblem character and that's awesome

Hugstable

Banned
Oh man those enviroments look great! Don't see the hate these characters are getting either. I mean if you don 't like anime, sure you might hate them, but they aren't bad.

I just noticed the witch has wings. I wonder if she's supposed to be a Featherfolk or is it just part of her ultra busy costume

Also the pattern on her pants probably means she gets a diamond thong.

BasilZero

l_552ceb7a6a19bhpa8g.jpg

Finally a new "witch" like design character :O

latest

Hopefully has a similar personality lol

Anyways the female MC looks weird....but the male MC is fine imo - looks a bit like SO3's MC Fayt but with black hair and pointier hair.

Looks good on the whole. The characters could do with some adjustments tho. Having said that, jrpg's have rarely had the most appealing looking characters so this little flaw is nothing but a blip and my anticipation for the game won't really be adversely affected even if they leave the designs as they are.

Like other's have said the environments look really nice with the atmospheric lighting and pretty skyboxes. Hoping the ps4 version at least isn't spoiled by any performance issues.

RangerBAD

Looks good on the whole. The characters could do with some adjustments tho. Having said that, jrpg's have rarely had the most appealing looking characters so this little flaw is nothing but a blip and my anticipation for the game won't really be adversely affected even if they leave the designs as they are.

Like other's have said the environments look really nice with the atmospheric lighting and pretty skyboxes. Hoping the ps4 version at least isn't spoiled by any performance issues.

Maybe Hexadrive will do the port. Probably too busy with FF15 though.

pablito

I can get over the faces. The clothing bothers me more. Hopefully there's multiple options like SO3. I don't remember if SO4 had more outfits.

Hot damn, that sword. I'm liking this... dude? Girl? more and more. I thought it was a girl until this shot, now I'm not sure.

Edit: Apparently he fights using his sword in one hand, and his sheath in the other. Automatic favorite character.

XTy1IvF.jpg

This series likes adding a second swordsman/physical that's cooler than the main character.

Claude - Dias (and Ashton I guess)
Fate - Albel
Edge - Arumat? I think that's his name
SO5 guy - blondie

Definitely going to be trying blondie.

I actually like the girl's face.

The dude is some generic-ass shit tho, and it's very obvious they had different artists working on them

Don't really like the character models but the environments and lighting look really solid from here.

Hoping to see higher resolution screens soon.

If people complain about the faces in Xenoblade but don't like the faces in this game then that's just fucked up. (Obviously you didn't but I'd find it crazy for someone that did.)
I feel weird because I like the faces here better than in Xenoblade X (which I have complained about). Maybe it's the color palate or something. It's not nearly as bothersome.

Top Bottom