• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

SparkTR

After SO4 and seeing these screens, I'm in a wait and see mode for this. The anime witch-girl just rubs me the wrong way, I can feel myself having a permanent cringe one my face while playing it.

Bloodrage

Banned
The main girl looks cute and different in a way. What's with all the hate? She probably would have looked like every other female anime character if this isn't what she looked like.

Toxi

Banned
So the characters are Kirito, Lymle 2.0, Tits McGee, and Alucard. Truly the band of heroes this series deserves.

Durante

Wow they really look great. Wish more JRPG's would use this style instead of those puppets
They get even better later in the series.
2014-03-15_18-09-00jfseq.png
You can see just how annoyed he is :p

Despera

Banned
The main girl looks cute and different in a way. What's with all the hate? She probably would have looked like every other female anime character if this isn't what she looked like.
I'm starting to get accustomed to her design the more I'm exposed to it.

Alucrid

Banned
She's childish and absent minded according to the character descriptions in famitsu, so yes, she is supposed to be kinda durrr.

But the model is standard anime fair. Nobody should be surprised whatsoever for Star Ocean that the models are pure anime. Don't like anime? your in the wrong franchise

i didn't realize being anime meant that your female lead had to look completely vapid and uninteresting

Mihos

Gold Member
Never mention Xenoblade in the same sentence as Star Ocean 4.
Their models and character design are far more interesting than the ugly pander-fest of the latter.

Maybe your just upset because you wasn't the one they were pandering to. Except for Lymle, I liked the characters in SO4. I liked Xenoblade also, but the characters looked like they could be cut/paste from PSO or FF12

udivision

I thought the early PS3/360 era taught us you can't just export anime faces if the overall artstyle is slightly more "realistic."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love anime, but I think the character models in these screenshots are mediocre artistically. And some of the character designs are just ridiculous.

Edit:
I think the main issue is trying to model too much with polygonal detail in the faces of anime-style characters. I've never seen that go well.

I think certain people have always had issue with non cell shaded anime styled models in 3D. Its understandable because its hit or miss if its not conforming to a style.

Atelier has pretty good models in for how low the budgets are.

On the other hand, complaining about anime models or tropes in this game themselves is missing the point entirely.

Narroo

Not really digging the designs. They're a bit too busy and over designed; and the proportions different pieces seem off. I'd rather they'd go to the somewhat more simplistic styles of SO1-3.

I think certain people have always had issue with non cell shaded anime styled models in 3D. Its understandable because its hit or miss if its not conforming to a style.

Atelier has pretty good models in for how low the budgets are.

On the other hand, complaining about anime models or tropes in this game themselves is missing the point entirely.
I didn't know the point of Star Ocean was that it was a choose your own adventure anime.

Inuhanyou

i didn't realize being anime meant that your female lead had to look completely vapid and uninteresting

Uh, well that's just personal opinion i suppose. I don't see how one can tell that just from a few scans.

Just by her design alone, she looks already more interesting to me compared to Sophia(who i just ignored in favor of Nel) and Reimi. The only main lead i actually thought was any good before hand was Rena.

horsebird

Banned
That actually looks better than expected! The girls look as one would expect (cute trope, sexy trope). Main hero has a generic face, but I like the outfit design. The most interesting character is the one we barely have shots of, the blonde.

Is it bad that once I started reading people bitching about the face I thought I accidentally clicked on a Xenoblade X thread?

Anyway I think it looks promising. The only two big complaints I had about The Last Hope was the graphics and the story/characters, so if they fix that sign me up.

Inuhanyou

I didn't know the point of Star Ocean was that it was a choose your own adventure anime.

Sure it was. What else did you think the relationship points were for in a majority of the games? :p That's the very definition of 'choose your own adventure'

Korigama

Maybe your just upset because you wasn't the one they were pandering to. Except for Lymle, I liked the characters in SO4. I liked Xenoblade also, but the characters looked like they could be cut/paste from PSO or FF12
Eh, as much as I enjoyed Xenoblade, the character models are much better in FFXII, whereas the field environments are better in the former. Granted, Xenoblade has one advantage in allowing for customization of the cast's appearances. I could go either way in respect to actual character design.

BadWolf

What?

Please don't compare the poor excuse for models/animation from Xenoblade to FF12's awesomness.

Shizuka

I'm very sorry, but the faces are awful. Like, ridiculously awful. Square-Enix saw fit to put more clothes on Mevius protagonist, yet they allow Tri-Ace to let this game go forward with those faces.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Man I desperately want a GOOD Star Ocean game but I'm trying not to get too excited for this.

If this game sucks as bad as SO4, can we officially declare a "Star Ocean cycle"?

I'm very sorry, but the faces are awful. Like, ridiculously awful. Square-Enix saw fit to put more clothes on Mevius protagonist, yet they allow Tri-Ace to let this game go forward with those faces.
Because the Mevius MC got changed the exact week the game was announced right?

Tagg9

Man I desperately want a GOOD Star Ocean game but I'm trying not to get too excited for this.

If this game sucks as bad as SO4, can we officially declare a "Star Ocean cycle"?

Honestly, I don't even care if it turns out terrible. I'm just thankful we're getting another (semi-)high budget JRPG for PS4.

bonercop

damn i always ignored the atelier games, but i have to admit and repeat myself, those are some fine character models. An perfect transition of those anime designs

Why aren't other JRPG's using this style? What a shame

The new Persona is looking pretty sharp:

Persona5Blonde.jpg

anime games should try to look like cartoons, i've always hated the xenosaga/star ocean approach of making em look like creepy dolls.

Honestly, I don't even care if it turns out terrible. I'm just thankful we're getting another (semi-)high budget JRPG for PS4.

when this one bombs
what it probably will given all your reactions
then all of you will have solely to look forward to masterpiece-jrpgs from imageepooch like time and eternity and lots of other loli shit

BadWolf

when this one bombs
what it probably will given all your reactions
then all of you will have solely to look forward to masterpiece-jrpgs from imageepooch like time and eternity and lots of other loli shit

Our reaction doesn't really matter to them as much as Japan's and the series' fan base probably.

And this game will most likely launch after FFXV so there should be a more sizable audience for this then looking for more in the genre. Bigger budget console JRPGs aren't exactly common these days.

Inuhanyou

The hypebole is strong. I think they would have to do a decent amount writing wise to get worse than SO4.

Considering the only major reason SO3 even gets any shit is because of the twist, as long as they avoid something like that, a fairly straightforward adventure should already be better

Well besides her face I think the biggest problem is in that location her character model should be half in shadow but doesn't look affected by the shadow at all.

Honestly that wasn't bothering me, I know these are initial screens. It's just "that" style of anime girl I generally don't care for. That and her eyes are twice the size of the guy's. I would like it better if everyone's eye size was more consistent.

The new Persona is looking pretty sharp:

anime games should try to look like cartoons, i've always hated the xenosaga/star ocean approach of making em look like creepy dolls.

Agreed, Xenogears had such great character designs, Xenosaga was a severe downgrade in the faces department.

BadWolf

Honestly that wasn't bothering me, I know these are initial screens. It's just "that" style of anime girl I generally don't care for. That and her eyes are twice the size of the guy's. I would like it better if everyone's eye size was more consistent.

That is pretty common in anime.

Top Bottom