• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

I just killed the DoomDay Machine, launching the last missile when it was going to shoot me.

But I jumped to hyperspace without realising that the machine had let a drop. It was something good?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DangerousDave said:
I just killed the DoomDay Machine, launching the last missile when it was going to shoot me.

But I jumped to hyperspace without realising that the machine had let a drop. It was something good?
But I jumped to hyperspace without realising that the machine had let a drop.
But I jumped to hyperspace without realising
jumped to hyperspace

enewtabie

DangerousDave said:
Ok, I warped to hyperspace... :D

There is no hyperspace.Your warpdrive simply created a warp bubble incasing your ship and allowed you to travel at faster than light travel. (Consults next gen tech manual)..:lol

The Technomancer

If you imagine space as a flat rubber sheet, the warp drive allows you to essentially warp space downhill in front of you and uphill behind you, allowing you to accelerate past the speed of light as its imposed over a flat plane.(Not literally of course, but if we're sticking with the inherently false "flat rubber sheet" model, than it kind of fits)
You still technically don't go faster than light in the space you occupy, its that the space you occupy itself is warping in front and behind you, allowing you to accelerate past light speed relative to the rest of the galaxy

Thats not...exactly right, as it were, but its a decent explanation, I think.

In fact, now that I think about it, the actual acceleration inside the warp bubble has to be next to non-existent. Otherwise, you would have to deal with all the problems that relativity brings.

Truant

How is the servers set up? Is it global? I'm in Norway and I'm getting some lag at times. Nothing serious, it just doesn't feel quite as smooth as it can be.

My ship is the USS Interloper, transmission me up.

Zzoram

Star Trek has no hyperspace, only subspace. Subspace is how things move faster than light in Star Trek.

I am really glad that STO decided to explain the Hobus supernova from AbramsTrek. I was very annoyed when the movie implied that a supernova could destroy an entire galaxy, not just a solar system and irradiating a few star systems nearby. STO decided to address this issue by saying that the supernova somehow entered subspace, explaining how it managed to reach Romulus so quickly and so devastatingly.

Bru

Sir Fragula said:
Anyone else having loot items show their internal name for a split second before their localised names?

Yeah I've got that too - noticed it about a week ago. Doesn't effect gameplay as such but can break the ambiance a little, I'm sure they'll patch it soon.

Truant

Sir Fragula said:
Anyone else having loot items show their internal name for a split second before their localised names?

Yeah. Seems to be a loading issue. I also get eyes/mouths before the faces load when I get transmissions :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
TheExodu5 said:
Wow you guys are drama queens. EQ1? Really? This looks far better than EQ2.
Sorry, was talking about with the default slider set all the way to the left. I said at max settings (all the way to the right) it's a decent looking game. But these ground mission crashes are getting ridiculous. FWIW I've never crashed once I'm space at max detail even on fleet actions with 40+ ships on screen and asteroids or whatnot.

Truant

I've only been paying attention to Star Trek for the last week, and even I've leared that romulans are boring. They deserved it. I think my character and his crack team of bridge officers should rule the galaxy.

BTW, is amazing how, in the time travel mission, klingons of TOS timeline don't have bone forehead, as in the series. I thought that the plain forehead klingons were something "non canon" (like, let's assume that they always had forehead, even if in TOS weren't).

Even the same character, in different times (captain/ambassador B'kal) has plain/bone forehead depending of the time.

There's this cool episode (in next generation I believe), where Worf and some other guys travel back in time and end up in the ToS episode with the small furball things (I can't recall their names).

In that episode, they encounter some Klingons,
they ask Worf what the hell happened to them, as they've changed so much.

Worf replies irritated and a bit shy: "We don't like to talk about it..."
And if my memory serves me well that's the only info we get about it.

Klingons changed, it's embarrasing to them, and if you ask about it, they'll tear your arm of.

Medalion

Banned
On noes...some Star Wars terminology slipped into here :lol

Romulus being destroyed... I didn't like that fact in the new Star Trek movie either, I kept hoping that woulda been prevented somehow but they went through with it anyway.

Romulans are like the evil cousins of the Vulcans. Teacherous, militant, paranoid, arrogant, devious, backstabbing.

Medalion said:
On noes...some Star Wars terminology slipped into here :lol

Romulus being destroyed... I didn't like that fact in the new Star Trek movie either, I kept hoping that woulda been prevented somehow but they went through with it anyway.

Romulans are like the evil cousins of the Vulcans. Teacherous, militant, paranoid, arrogant, devious, backstabbing.

Romulans are the real personality of vulcans, i think. They are the same race, but vulcans learned to avoid their emotions, to avoid more wars. Romulans are vulcans that refused the "treatment".

The Technomancer

DangerousDave said:
Romulans are the real personality of vulcans, i think. They are the same race, but vulcans learned to avoid their emotions, to avoid more wars. Romulans are vulcans that refused the "treatment".
Which always kinda bugged me, because that split happened centuries, if not millenia ago, and it implies that the Vulcans and Romulans have had spaceflight for a loooooong time. So....why aren't they exponentially more advanced than us, wiping our sorry asses across the galaxy again?

EDIT: Just looked it up, the split happened about 400 AD

Medalion

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Which always kinda bugged me, because that split happened centuries, if not millenia ago, and it implies that the Vulcans and Romulans have had spaceflight for a loooooong time. So....why aren't they exponentially more advanced than us, wiping our sorry asses across the galaxy again?

Cuz the story was written by humans and we are teh biased.

Walshicus

The_Technomancer said:

EDIT: Just looked it up, the split happened about 400 AD
Vulcan society was supposed to be deeply conservative and risk averse. Romulan society took centuries to develop after they left Vulcan.

The TV series Enterprise *does* show Vulcans as being significantly more advanced, but it was through contact with them and other species that technology was shared and dispersed to Humanity.

Good example may be Japan - how for centuries they lagged behind European technology, but after deciding to enter the international community were able to modernise rapidly.

derFeef

Animation-Imp said:
There's this cool episode (in next generation I believe), where Worf and some other guys travel back in time and end up in the ToS episode with the small furball things (I can't recall their names).

Klingons changed, it's embarrasing to them, and if you ask about it, they'll tear your arm of.

That was in DS9 - Dax was so hot for Kirk, lol. Awesome episode.

Darklord

Banned
Animation-Imp said:

They actually explain it in Enterprise.

Walshicus

Okay guys, I need four of you on Qo'nos now with me as team leader in order to establish the House of Gaf. Character is Mattakan@walshicus.

Animation-Imp said:

That was DS9, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is the episode title, IIRC. It was further explained in Star Trek: Enterprise as the effect of an experiment by Klingons with human Augment DNA (ala Khan Noonan Sigh) to make superior warriors to combat the spread of humans, who they were seeing as a potential major threat. The experiment interacted with a virus and spread through the Empire. The Augment Virus had the effect of grafting human DNA onto those afflicted, caused their ridged forehead to dissolve and increased their emotional responses, making them feel fear (for many a first).

Just bought this. I played the open beta and liked it but disliked the lag, etc associated with an open beta. I'm assuming:)lol) that this is remedied, but otherwise I just want to fly around.

Ziggy is pleased.

11tpkqg.jpg

JdFoX187

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
That was DS9, "Trials and Tribble-ations" is the episode title, IIRC. It was further explained in Star Trek: Enterprise as the effect of an experiment by Klingons with human Augment DNA (ala Khan Noonan Sigh) to make superior warriors to combat the spread of humans, who they were seeing as a potential major threat. The experiment interacted with a virus and spread through the Empire. The Augment Virus had the effect of grafting human DNA onto those afflicted, caused their ridged forehead to dissolve and increased their emotional responses, making them feel fear (for many a first).
I try to prefer that Enterprise never happened, and that god awful explanation never happened. Can we chalk it up to hollow deck history record error and come up with a better solution?

watership

JdFoX187 said:
I try to prefer that Enterprise never happened, and that god awful explanation never happened. Can we chalk it up to hollow deck history record error and come up with a better solution?

I don't hate Enterprise, but I hate that whole Klingon head bump explanation. It was really terrible.

JWong

Banned
watership said:
I don't hate Enterprise, but I hate that whole Klingon head bump explanation. It was really terrible.
Explain, as I never really watched Enterprise beyond the mid first season.

Edit: oh wait nm... it was some disease, wasn't it...

DangerousDave said:

It dropped an item for me and it was a shield battery...

CamHostage

Hey, does anybody know why this game was listed in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine? Champions Online was supposed to be ported but I've not heard of Star Trek on consoles?

CamHostage said:
Hey, does anybody know why this game was listed in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine? Champions Online was supposed to be ported but I've not heard of Star Trek on consoles?

Its a rumour at the moment I think, the PC version barely works let alone them trying to do a console version!

I have a love/hate relationship with Enterprise. Some episodes I like and feel add worthwhile material to the canon (and don't make Archer seem like some putz not cut out to be a Captain of a ship named Enterprise), some I hate as much as I hate the opening theme (gawd awful theme compared to virtually every other ST series in existence, WTH were they thinking there? Lite rock just doesn't work with Star Trek, with it's history of sweeping instrumental pieces, and knocks me right out of the mood when I try to watch it. It's sad when the Mirror Universe episode's special theme wipes it's ass with the regular series theme. Seriously, the only reason I'm able to watch the show at all is by skipping or muting the intro).
I'm sort of the same way about Voyager, too many bottle episodes and episodes with time travel/distortion/whatever so that everything that happened during the episode ends up not mattering at the end because everything gets reset. Hell, I'm one of the few people who even like Neelix, but I can't stand many of the episodes that do nothing but kill time and don't really add anything worthwhile to the show. Even TOS, of which most episodes could be considered bottle shows, manages to keep your interest by mixing up the variety of what's happening.

Need to go do some missions or something, I'm writing huge ass paragraphs about Star Trek again. ;p See you in-game!

TheExodu5

Banned
I think Enterprise has one of the best opening themes in the series...love the accompanying video as well. Also, the alternate Terran intro is awesome.

The original DS9 theme is probably my other favorite. I'm at Season 4 now though, and I don't like the new theme at all. Ruined it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they created the new theme...it's the worst Star Trek theme I can think of.

Medalion

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I think Enterprise has one of the best opening themes in the series...love the accompanying video as well. Also, the alternate Terran intro is awesome.

The original DS9 theme is probably my other favorite. I'm at Season 4 now though, and I don't like the new theme at all. Ruined it.

The Enterprise theme is actually a song written by Diane Warren sung originally by Rod Stewart for the Patch Adams movie starring Robin Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXcss-qFNiw

TheExodu5

Banned
Medalion said:
The Enterprise theme is actually a song written by Diane Warren sung originally by Rod Stewart for the Patch Adams movie starring Robin Williams.

No matter where it originated, I just think it fits perfectly. The intro is highly original compared to the rest of the series (especially TNG, which is awful, apart from the dialogued section).

edit: I'm talking about the overall opening, not the music itself.

Medalion

Banned
I believe Enterprise was the first signs that Star Trek was trying to reinvent itself before the movie came about thus the very different approach to credits and theme song.

TheExodu5 said:
The original DS9 theme is probably my other favorite. I'm at Season 4 now though, and I don't like the new theme at all. Ruined it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they created the new theme...it's the worst Star Trek theme I can think of.

But it has the Defiant in the intro video! That easily makes up for the odd music remix.

Medalion

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Agreed, the newer DS9 theme was a mistake.

Top Bottom