• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just don't get it. I love Angry Joe, but I can't understand why anyone would think this is a shallow experience. I've got like 15 hours plus on this game, it's my MP shooter of the year. I wish other people loved it as much as I do but different strokes and all.

Well there just is not enough variations of the same MP5 or H&K carbine, or M4, and mountains of unlocks that go unused by the majority, if at all.

Yes I am being a bit silly, but that is exactly the complaints by these reviewers, which are valid, masking content behind fancy words like depth and shallow.

Just come out and say CONTENT and leave it at that. Shallow is the wrong use of a word for this game, since a lot translate that into gameplay. There are a lot of "little things" in the gameplay, especially with how each hero plays differently.

it is similar to when I hear the words "lacking soul" used to describe a game.

Theorry

cant wait for his review...

a2f48fc630362735e772c02d92690571.png

i like the game but i do agree.

Guess with his skills in MP games everything is shallow. :p
Like Joe. For his streams. Most of his reviews i cant really take serious. Lots of shouting and overreacting on one thing.

i got it for free on Xbox1 but that crushing black is messing me up so bad in doors

i wanna get a copy for PS4 when it hits a lower price (40 bucks seems right)

Crushed blacks haven't happened in Frostbyte games. Also I dont think a game on XB1 has had crushed blacks in the past year. Check your tv or xb1 settings.

evilr

Banned
It's an online multiplayer shooter developed by DICE. More content will be assuredly rolling out for the foreseeable future. Should reviewers just wait until it's all out before reviewing it?

Well no because that's paid DLC and isn't including in the $60 game...

meanspartan

cant wait for his review...

a2f48fc630362735e772c02d92690571.png

i like the game but i do agree.

I get this perspective, even though I think the guns are actually more deep than people give them credit for.

But in this year of Star Wars, is it really so wrong to buy something based on spectacle even with shallow gameplay? I think as long as you are informed of what you are getting into, there is no shame in it. This is a somewhat shallow but spectacle loaded experience that I will have a lot of fun playing for 20 hours or so. And that's a fine value proposition to me. Not every shooter needs to be your go-to game for the next year or two (that is Halo 5 to me now lol).

Game is amazing. I love it. it will not be my go to shooter. I play Destiny for that. Howerver a few times a week me and my buddies will pick up and play some Walker Assault and play in the Star Wars universe.

it is what it is.

I would say overall its a 7-8/10 with presentation being 10/10

if there was a decent single player campaign or about three times the amount of unlocks the game would be almost perfect.

Hey, we (EGM) do that too! Have forever. And get bitched at a lot for doing so.

*thumbs up*

Haven't read EGM in a while, actually--gonna have to check it out now.

Well there just is not enough variations of the same MP5 or H&K carbine, or M4, and mountains of unlocks that go unused by the majority, if at all.

Yes I am being a bit silly, but that is exactly the complaints by these reviewers masking content behind fancy words like depth and shallow.

Just come out and say CONTENT and leave it at that. Shallow is the wrong use of a word for this game. There are a lot of "little things" in the gameplay, especially with how each hero plays differently.

it is similar to when I hear the words "lacking soul" used to describe a game.

I don't really think that's it, though. Watch Matimi0's review--he's a skilled mid-topish tier FPS player and he comments that its a shallow and casual experience. That's exactly what DICE wants.

For example, almost nothing affects your aim in Battlefront. AFAIK, ADS, crouching, moving, even using a Jump Pack--they do nothing to your aim. It's just one single value for your accuracy. Compare that to other games, where all of these different types of movement/action DO affect your aim and have to be considered and utilized in the proper situation.

And then there's the values for weapons themselves. In other games, there are a multitude of values, for each weapon, that impact how the weapons control, which situations/maps they should be used in, what type of players should use them, what type of attachments you should use, etc.

The game is casual and shallow by design. It's exactly what DICE set out to do.

7 is a solid-to-good game. 5 is average/mediocre.

I'm happy they're actually using the full scale, unlike other publications.

I agree with this so much. It irks me how many people insist a 7/10 is a bad or mediocre score on a game. 7 means that the game is good, not great, but absolutely above average.

Well no because that's paid DLC and isn't including in the $60 game...

Actually the Jakku DLC is free for everyone but that's not the point. I wasnt actually suggesting anyone should wait to review it, it was a rhetorical device meant to address the ridiculousness of that line of reasoning.

biteren

Crushed blacks haven't happened in Frostbyte games. Also I dont think a game on XB1 has had crushed blacks in the past year. Check your tv or xb1 settings.

hmmm maybe i should take a looksie, in basically anywhere besides Hoth, everything is very dark indoors, i have to wait for a red name before i start blasting

The game has no space battles, no galactic conquest, no class system..., no prequel factions, no campaign, vehicles spawn in from tokens rather than being static on the map, less heroes, less maps, and Did I mention that there's no Galactic conquest?
This kinda bums me out. It's depressing to me that, whether you want to call it a reboot or a totally separate entity, that a forward generational leap is accompanied by diminishing content.

I'm still on the fence about the game. I just hope that the Jakka map and the season updates will keep the player base around until I decide.

meanspartan

Ya, if anything leaning a bit to the upper 7s and low 8s is a tad better than I expected. Awesome!

THis game will sell like hotcakes I think. Horrible sub-7 reviews would have hurt it (it still woulda sold, just not as well) but these reviews seem just decent enough to not throw it off the Star Wars Hype train.

ryseing

They did need to get it out before the movie. They had to pick two out of three between timeline, polish/quality, and complexity/amount of content. They picked the first two. They could have at least helped rectify the third point by committing to free map releases along the lines of a Splatoon or whatever.

Splatoon didn't review great either. Reviewers aren't necessarily going to give them points for committing to free DLC releases. Some gamers might, but overall they will probably make more money with the paid DLC vs. free.

I wish there was more content but I think they probably made the right decisions for them.

Really wish that DICE/EA would commit to giving the first full expansion pack away for free and add a fifth down the line for Season Pass holders, like what Driveclub did.

Would alleviate a lot of the complaints I think.

Then they shouldn't have used the IP's name.

I think this is an important point. They could have called the shooter Star Wars: First Assault (which was going to be the name of the Lucasarts internal reboot) or something else and not have the ties and expectations that the Battlefront name brings.

mekes

Reviews seem to fall in line with my short impression received from the beta. May pick up a GOTY version if one appears as I feel this vanilla version probably doesn't have enough to keep me coming back. No way I'm taking the DLC route if the base game itself doesn't offer value for money.

defense force? is that what you think about anyone that enjoys something you don't?

I really don't get it, most people in here even the fans have said the game is a little shallow but tons of fun.

I'm not even playing it until tonight. Why are you wound so tight? It's obvious that a lot of people are being very defensive about the reception the game has received. Just an observation, no big deal.

Will it be free? If not, it is even less appropriate to consider it...

It's free, preorders get it a week early. Watch the end of the video.

z3phon

Guess with his skills in MP games everything is shallow. :p
Like Joe. For his streams. Most of his reviews i cant really take serious. Lots of shouting and overreacting on one thing.
Whats with people constantly bashing others for their opinions. I got the game and absolutely love, also got the season pass and consider it to be totally worth the cost, but I will admit compared to some other shooters in the market right now the game does feel slightly shallow. I consider myself to be pretty good at MP, Joe's MP skill in the argument is irreverent.

Pastry

Banned
I said it before but I think Battlefront 2 will end up being pretty different based off of the reception this is receiving.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The defense force is strong with this one.

defense force? is that what you think about anyone that enjoys something you don't?

I really don't get it, most people in here even the fans have said the game is a little shallow but tons of fun.

Ignore the drive-by shitposts that add nothing of value to the thread.

At one time they were not as tolerated on here.

Well, most people have already played a lot of it, via the BETA or EA Early Access, so they already have their own opinions about the game instead of having to rely solely on those of random journalists.

Agreed.

border

how robust/replayable is the co-op/survival modes atleast?

The regular Battles and the Hero Battles are straight garbage. They are little more than an opportunity for you to learn how to play the game outside of a multiplayer setting. It's good to have practice with some of the Heroes.

I haven't really tried the Survival/Horde Mode thing as of yet. I am waiting on a friend to get the game so we can go through it together.

Top Bottom