• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

Im giving this game the benefit of the doubt. Splatoon was far from "content deep" upon release and no one expected the support to be as huge as it is. I know BF will have a season pass to support further DLC, but i'd argue that out of the box it has more variety than splatoon does. Splatoon is an incredibly fun game thats not very deep. From what ive played on the beta, BF is too.

There isn't really a lack of content here and people need to stop pointing to that. This has nothing to do with maps or amount of guns or what have you. Counterstrike has like 4 maps that people play over and over and only a handful of different guns people use and it's the biggest multiplayer shooter going. Sports games have essentially one map. Those games get played for hours and hours and no one complaints about content.

The gameplay just isn't balanced, complex or challenging enough to keep players interested beyond the showy presentation. I'm guessing most people will play a couple rounds on each map and mode and move on. That's the reason it feels like there is a lack of content because the content on display here doesn't offer enough to get people coming back a 3rd or 4th time like most good multiplayer titles.

Do yourself a favour and if your on xb1 just get EA Access, the 10 hour trial should be more then enough to experience everything this game has to offer.

Dr Prob

Banned
Well there just is not enough variations of the same MP5 or H&K carbine, or M4, and mountains of unlocks that go unused by the majority, if at all.

Yes I am being a bit silly, but that is exactly the complaints by these reviewers, which are valid, masking content behind fancy words like depth and shallow.

But amount of content and depth are two different things. Isn't it possible that some people are actually fully aware of what it is that they're saying?

truth411

Sounds like this game needed another year in the oven to beef up content. Since it don't have a single player campaign, they should at least have numerous off line missions. Similar to spec ops from Call of duty back in the days.

papo

So I am on the fence, because this didn't feel like classic battlefront and though I had fun I only liked playing the unbalanced walker assault.

I haven't really read a lot about the game so if you could help out. Are there more Walker assault type scenarios? Did they balance it better? Is the dog fighting improved over the beta? Because that sucked for me.

I got a lot of friends getting it, but every review seems to hit on my worries for it. I wonder if I can still have fun with it.

There isn't really a lack of content here and people need to stop pointing to that. This has nothing to do with maps or amount of guns or what have you. Counterstrike has like 4 maps that people play over and over and only a handful of different guns people use and it's the biggest multiplayer shooter going. Sports games have essentially one map. Those games get played for hours and hours and no one complaints about content.

The gameplay just isn't balanced, complex or challenging enough to keep players interested beyond the showy presentation. I'm guessing most people will play a couple rounds on each map and mode and move on. That's the reason it feels like there is a lack of content because the content on display here doesn't offer enough to get people coming back a 3rd or 4th time like most good multiplayer titles.

Do yourself a favour and if your on xb1 just get EA Access, the 10 hour trial should be more then enough to experience everything this game has to offer.

12ish maps for a mp only game is a lack of content. It also lacks any gameplay depth.

So I am on the fence, because this didn't feel like classic battlefront and though I had fun I only liked playing the unbalanced walker assault.

I haven't really read a lot about the game so if you could help out. Are there more Walker assault type scenarios? not really Did they balance it better? yes, ive won as both attackers and defenders this time. during the beta not so much Is the dog fighting improved over the beta? not that i can tell, didnt do much of it in the beta and did a bit here, im pretty consistently bad at itBecause that sucked for me.

I got a lot of friends getting it, but every review seems to hit on my worries for it. I wonder if I can still have fun with it.

inline.

if your console of choice is x1, EA access is absolutely perfect for this game. myself, ill hit the 10 hour trial mark (maybe, if that) and think ill be all done with it

You know what's amazing? SW: The Force Awakens will sell this in the millions no matter how bad reviews it gets. PS4 Vader SKU will be sold out. Every kid wants that under their christmas tree.

this is so silly to me.

are you saying a field in madden is the same as a multiplayer map? even if thats remotely comparable (its not), couldnt i argue theres 32 teams in a league and that means 32 stadiums and 32 maps?

People reeeeeeeally need to stop bringing up Counter-Strike.

1) CS didn't launch with four (or however many "great" ones there are) perfect maps--it launched (I use that loosely, as it depends on which CS we're talking about) with many and eventually the wheat separated from the chaff
2) CS gunplay is leagues more challenging and deep than Battlefront--getting better, learning recoil patterns, how/when to hop, etc.--add depth to the game and make it inherently rewarding to play and get better at, because your skill is basically reflected at the end of the round (no kill streaks, no vehicles, nothing to bolster your kill count/score)

zarggat

Banned
I just don't get it. I love Angry Joe, but I can't understand why anyone would think this is a shallow experience. I've got like 15 hours plus on this game, it's my MP shooter of the year. I wish other people loved it as much as I do but different strokes and all.

I think its lack of a single player story driven campaign.

Battlefront is a mp focused game... it has enough maps, modes, and customizing... not sure what more people want... the game is fun as hell and it gives a nod to the classic battlefront and the star wars universe.

Grief.exe

I saw some quoted post on the first page regarding AngryCentaurGaming's review being a ''Buy'': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLRuhZbDjA

WRONG!!
It got a ''Wait for sale'' rating because of the lack of content right now.

"Running at the still very odd 900p on PS4..."

People don't understand that 16:9 resolution is a calculated value, we only conform to standards for physical forms due to ease of manufacturing.

From a software perspective, you just multiply your vertical resolution by 1.7777777777777777777777777777778 to get the horizontal.

The maximum resolution I could push my old monitor to was 3367x1894 for example.

zarggat

Banned
Considering the reviews that say it doesn't have enough maps, customizing, and other content, it's pretty obvious what people want.

Seems like a fair amount out of the box.

Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Complex (Sullust)
Jundland Wastes (Tattooine)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Centroplex (Sullust)

Cargo - 4:
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Hero Hunt - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Heros vs Villains - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Fighter Squadron - 4:
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
NOTE: All four are naturally in the sky.

Blast - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Droid Run - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Drop Zone - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Considering the reviews that say it doesn't have enough maps, customizing, and other content, it's pretty obvious what people want.

What those people want.

I am content with this game. I personally do not have time for all the magnitude of what I perceive as mundane unlocks in modern shooters.

12ish maps for a mp only game is a lack of content. It also lacks any gameplay depth.

14 with Jakku in two weeks. Battlefront launched with 10 (and then people are going to break them down into modes, even though half the BF4 maps did not work well in all modes, so a 3-4 map rotation was very common per mode).

And what does "lacks any gameplay depth" mean? Care to explain blanketed statements?

I've seen the list and have played the full game for 10 hours (and the beta for 10 more). I know how many maps are in the game.

4 maps for the two biggest modes in the game, including the mode being pushed in ALL the marketing, is not enough.

What those people want.

I am content with this game. I personally do not have time for all the magnitude of what I perceive as mundane unlocks in modern shooters.

...yeah, exactly? He asked what they want--I answered with a pretty obvious answer.

It's exhausting seeing "I'm having so much fun, why are other people complaining about lack of content?? I don't get it!" when reviews are clearly articulating what's missing.

this is so silly to me.

are you saying a field in madden is the same as a multiplayer map? even if thats remotely comparable (its not), couldnt i argue theres 32 teams in a league and that means 32 stadiums and 32 maps?

Your missing my point which is that a good addicting multiplayer game doesn't need a bunch of content to be good and worth it, it just needs to be fun and keep the player engaged and wanting to compete and win.

This is not a good multiplayer game and people complaining about lack of content are people that simply grew bored of the content on hand.

It's a spectacle, like a decent popcorn flick that you only watch once

zarggat

Banned
I've seen the list and have played the full game for 10 hours (and the beta for 10 more). I know how many maps are in the game.

4 maps for the two biggest modes in the game, including the mode being pushed in ALL the marketing, is not enough.

I could maybe see that argument but to each his own. Maybe EA will allow freebies.

Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
So essentially 4 unique maps for the big modes that really matter. BF4 launched with 10.

Stop acting like this is acceptable for a $60 game.

border

The problem is that most of the 6v6 modes are not that great, and most people want to play Walker Assault or Supremacy which only have 4 maps.

Fighter Squadron has 4 maps but they are all essentially just window dressing that don't change anything. Not having an Endor map for this mode annoys me still for some reason.

Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)

Cargo - 4:
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Hero Hunt - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Heros vs Villains - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Fighter Squadron - 4:
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
NOTE: All four are naturally in the sky.

Blast - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Droid Run - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Drop Zone - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

And Jakku will be free for everyone.

I could maybe see that argument but to each his own. Maybe EA will allow freebies.

Why would they? They're charging 70$ for the pass and you think theyll give free maps too? Theyre taking advantage of the fact that SW fans will be willing to pay up, especially with the movie coming up and the hype its creating. EA is thinking to maximize $$ here. Id be stunned if they gave out anything other than that preorder map.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's exhausting seeing "I'm having so much fun, why are other people complaining about lack of content?? I don't get it!" when reviews are clearly articulating what's missing.

Why do you care so much? Why not look away from this thread if it is annoying (I do all the time to threads)? What do you have to gain/lose in this discussion?

People find value in different things. Games are about fun as well. And if it plays well, check, looks and sounds great, check, and is fun for them, check again, then that is their perception of value.

This is perceived value. What you find value, will be different than what others find value in. What is annoying is arguing against someone else's perception of value.

Reviewers on not gospel in the slightest. They are gamers too, who gasp, carry the same bias responses that any of us can carry.

It was an observation of the thread, not a criticism of the game. Relax.

How is my response at all pertaining to where you thought I was thinking about the game?

I was mentioning about the value of the thread specifically. You added none to it.

And your observation is wrong, since there is actually some good conversation in here compared to most review threads.

cripterion

For anyone who's on the fence about the game at least give it a try and see for yourself.

I hated it and got an insta-refund on Origin (just selected "the game wasn't really fun" answer).

Yeah I'm not inherently opposed to the idea of a $60 multiplayer FPS, those Battlefield games were pretty good. But then I expect there to be a proper amount of content for that multiplayer. 4 maps for Supremacy and Walker Assault is just pathetic and unacceptable.
Of course your mileage may vary depending on what modes you care about. I care about those two.

Karak

"Running at the still very odd 900p on PS4..."

People don't understand that 16:9 resolution is a calculated value, we only conform to standards for physical forms due to ease of manufacturing.

From a software perspective, you just multiply your vertical resolution by 1.7777777777777777777777777777778 to get the horizontal.

The maximum resolution I could push my old monitor to was 3367x1894 for example.

I understand fine and get what your saying.. I think most still hoped for 1080p as do I on the PS4. To me 900p is and always will be just plain odd even with its resource saves against 1080p. But thats just me.
EDIT that's not saying it looks bad. Before people freak lol. I think regardless of platform this thing is a looker.

It would be easier to find ones that don't than list all of the ones that do. The average metacritic score a game recieves is in the 70s and not the 50s for a reason.
I was being sarcastic lol.. I put mediocre games at around a 6 and roughly the metacritic score is usually a close representation of games' quality but certainly never something I use as some absolute truth.. I can't take Giantbomb seriously though, those guys give the indication that they don't like videogames.. so why would I take their opinion seriously? Then there's hundreds of thousands or millions? of people that are in line with their opinion, which is why thankfully we have so many outlets to choose from.

Also anyone who puts Modern Warfare as their GOTY gets an automatic L from me.

Vamp

Do I need psn+ in order to play this game?
I really don't like battlefield games but i love star wars, I don't know what to do.

Koh

I think this game would be better off with less modes and more maps per mode. Either that or a playlist that changes maps and modes each round.

Nesther

Do I need psn+ in order to play this game?
I really don't like battlefield games but i love star wars, I don't know what to do.

I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot more than Battlefield. Combined with the Star Wars feel, it's been great so far.

You can play the a few modes offline,but the main meat of the game requires a Plus membership as it's online only.

I think this game would be better off with less modes and more maps per mode. Either that or a playlist that changes maps and modes each round.

Absolutely, I hope they patch that in. I like all modes I tried so far (especially Hero Hunt) and a playlist that mixes things up would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you care so much? Why not look away from this thread if it is annoying (I do all the time to threads)? What do you have to gain/lose in this discussion?

Because I think discussion of a game's value is important, and people saying "I'm having fun, I don't get it" are either so obtuse that they actually don't get it, or are ignoring what the reviews and posters are saying. I agree, I could just leave this thread, but I'm hoping the discussion will eventually rise above "I'm having fun, this game has a lot of content, I don't get it" vs "this game only has four maps, it sucks".

I think SW:BF, like Destiny, is a fascinating phenomena in the gaming world. A game that, at its core, is really fun, but is let down by its content or lack thereof. In the past, the fun factor might be enough to warrant a purchase, but I'm trying to be more evaluative and less impulsive in my purchases. I think the discussion of value is at the core of all these "don't preorder games/DLC is robbery/etc." arguments.

Maybe I'm asking for too much from a review thread :-|

Imagine if the next battlefield released with only 4 maps available to play in conquest. Battlefront is like that.
On top of removing the SP! That's exactly how I see it.

This is one of the more egregious examples of season pass content looking like it should have been in the base game in recent memory.

DryvBy

I picked it up. Some of my friends can't get into BF/COD games so this is perfect for them. We're all pretty excited after playing the beta. Well, we had fun outside of the unblanaced Hoth mess. The other mode was fine.

soxxx

Banned

...yeah, exactly? He asked what they want--I answered with a pretty obvious answer.

This, the two game modes worth playing only have 4 maps. How is that possible. Game is empty and incomplete.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because I think discussion of a game's value is important, and people saying "I'm having fun, I don't get it" are either so obtuse that they actually don't get it, or are ignoring what the reviews and posters are saying. I agree, I could just leave this thread, but I'm hoping the discussion will eventually rise above "I'm having fun, this game has a lot of content, I don't get it" vs "this game only has four maps, it sucks".

I think SW:BF, like Destiny, is a fascinating phenomena in the gaming world. A game that, at its core, is really fun, but is let down by its content or lack thereof. In the past, the fun factor might be enough to warrant a purchase, but I'm trying to be more evaluative and less impulsive in my purchases. I think the discussion of value is at the core of all these "don't preorder games/DLC is robbery/etc." arguments.

Maybe I'm asking for too much from a review thread :-|

Well I can completely agree with this. It was the same syndrome in the FO4 thread where people ignored (as in pretended they did not see said issues) the technical mess of that game for the same "but its fun tho", so I can see both sides of the argument.

Ultimately we do want the developers/producers to always do more, and not start doing less then charge you for more (the direction gaming seems to be headed as a service).

Woo-Fu

Banned
So essentially 4 unique maps for the big modes that really matter. BF4 launched with 10.

What do you mean by the big modes the really matter? I spend most of my time playing smaller player count in modes like Drop Zone and Blast. Those are the modes that matter to me.

I think content is a silly argument for games like this as long as a game has enough to reach a critical mass of players.400+ hours in rocket arena 2, 250+ hours in tf2, was I paying too much for those games because I spent the majority of my time in each on roughly 4 maps? Don't be silly.

I'm paying for an experience, not how many lines of code are in the shipping product.

Top Bottom