• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

Tubie

I think this game needed another 6 months in the oven.

Having just 4 maps for the most advertised mode (Walker Assault) and the other 40 player mode (Supremacy) is going to hurt the scores.

yuraya

Having loads of options/killstreaks/customizable weapons isn't automatically a plus for some people. Especially if free time is at a premium.

Its fine if a developer chooses to go with the simplicity route. But if you do that you have to make sure there is a competitive and strategic aspect at the core of the game. Counter Strike is a good example.

If you make a shooter without either then it will be a dud.

Sounds like a fun 10 hours of EA Access, then I can safely never return.

I also find it funny EA held the review to cash in on preorders, but the word already has gotten out about the game's shallow nature. I've talked with casual gamers who intended on picking up the game, who have stepped away due to the impressions out of Access.

RedRum

Banned
I'll be honest, I never played any of the prior Battlefronts. How does this game match up in content to the old ones?

JTripper

Honestly, it's kind of fresh to get a shooter like this that's kind of bare-bones with minimal options. The playing field is completely even and it's more like a classic shooter from the PS2 era or before, where all the extra stuff is available to everyone on the field and not just to the guy who's played a million hours more than everyone else. Sure, maybe the maps and game types getting old after a while might be true, I don't know I haven't played the game, but I'm just excited to play a really well designed, casual Star Wars multiplayer shooter.

It's the perfect thing to keep us kinda busy for the month before the new movie, cause once the hype kicks in again a week or two before, everyone's gonna jump back on to play.

Karak

Is the multiplayer only hurting the game in reviews?

More lack of continued enjoyment. Lack of content is also a big bit of it.
If only it had some more maps even and be a bit more flexible on modes mixed with maps it would have went a tremendous distance.

Bishop89

What exactly do ppl mean when they say deep?

It's starting to feel like one of those words that just get sprayed without any meaning

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Was talking to some coworkers about the game today... one of them made a great point: "Is it really so bad to have a very casual shooter with awesome presentation?"

I'm expecting upper 70s for the OpenCritic average, maybe lower 80s. (Edit: Ok, I think lower 80s).

But I honestly hope that the reviews don't bash the lack of depth too much. Yes, it's probably not the 20+ hour experience for a core gamer, but it might be for a casual one just looking for some fun.
A lot of other shooter choices for casual gamer this year though.

I man, at least a friend will share me the game to test it first, gotta save money for Fallout 4 then, for a $60 being lacking since the start is not good in my book

Lack of content.

image.php

I think I would be okay with lack of content at launch if they had an Extensive plan to release free content post launch. Nope. "Buy the season pass today!"

Man. Uh....not quite the reviews I was expecting. I thought the beta was a ton of fun. Sometimes, I.....I dunno. I often wonder if some reviewers have just gotten burned out. Hell, the guys at Destructoid don't seem to fucking like ANYTHING.

At any rate. Think the reviews will hurt sales?

robotrock

Banned
Man. Uh....not quite the reviews I was expecting. I thought the beta was a ton of fun. Sometimes, I.....I dunno. I often wonder if some reviewers have just gotten burned out. Hell, the guys at Destructoid don't seem to fucking like ANYTHING.

No

IvanJ

Banned
My takeaway from the reviews is: A stripped copy of Battlefield with Star Wars skins.
If you're a SW fan, buy it because of that, if you're not - stay away!

I am sure that this game will sell a lot, but the last good SW movie was released in 1980, and I don't intend to give Disney or EA money for their hack jobs.

Honestly, it's kind of fresh to get a shooter like this that's kind of bare-bones with minimal options. The playing field is completely even and it's more like a classic shooter from the PS2 era or before, where all the extra stuff is available to everyone on the field and not just to the guy who's played a million hours more than everyone else. Sure, maybe the maps and game types getting old after a while might be true, I don't know I haven't played the game, but I'm just excited to play a really well designed, casual Star Wars multiplayer shooter.

It's the perfect thing to keep us kinda busy for the month before the new movie, cause once the hype kicks in again a week or two before, everyone's gonna jump back on to play.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept, and it seems to play pretty well. But... it REALLY would have benefitted from a single player campaign!

A lot of other shooter choices for casual gamer this year though.

Which shooters?

Karak

Long tail and word of mouth maybe but up front hell now.

I've never remembered a gen where reviews seem so commonly disconnected from my own opinion. Usually in the past there was some source that seemed to jive with my thoughts but this gen? Nope. All these sites are all over the place. Some games get knocked got tech issues and being broken and having a bad story or bad gameplay while others get praised to the moon despite all that. Some games get knocked for being too short while others get barely a mention of length. Most of the time audio is just vaguely mentioned when I believe it to be one of the major components to an overall great experience.

It just all seems completely random to be honest. I personally know 20 people with Fallout 4 and only 2 of them say it is really great or even good. Most just complain about all the problems, the horrible story, horrible environments and horrible gunplay. Whereas I know many people who have played this with Access and can't stop talking about how much fun it is. Yet reading reviews you would think yhis is a mediocre experience. Very weird.

Just can't trust reviews anymore really. So many examples of that fact out there already and seems like this will be added to that pile.

How is a lack of variety a positive?
Large collections of unlockables just show me all the stuff better players will have to beat me down with during the initial noob hazing period, so shallower games along the lines like Battlefront or Titanfall actually feel like they're offering something a little different. And I never really stay with PvP games for more than a few weeks if that, and short stints when I do play, and that's what this game seems purpose tuned for.

A game like COD with a million unlocks and customizations is perfect for the crowd thats going to settle into that game and go deep. That same stuff turns me off because I won't be doing that, so when I do jump in casually I always feel way out of my depth. On the other hand a game like Titanfall is much shallower on unlocks, so its easier for me to jump in and play a match or three on a whim, for the fun of it, without feeling like I'm working towards the next thing or have to. If that makes sense.

It's starting to feel like one of those words that just get sprayed without any meaning
I mean it in the artificial sense: unlocks, XP, leveling. That stuff is way overdone everywhere these days, single player games included now. Depth in gameplay and tactics is a whole nuther matter entirely, and don't know whether this game could have that or not. I'd say Titanfall absolutely has it, and Battlefront might for all I know.

Anth0ny

As a huge fan of the original trilogy, I'd love to borrow/rent this game and play it for a few hours.

they're selling it for 80 fucking dollars here in canada

ironcreed

Banned

Dat Star Wars hook, man. No way. If the game does one thing right, it is nailing that vibe and it looks breathtaking while doing it.

I loved the beta (especially flying) but from what I have seen and read I think these reviews are perfectly reasonable. 6-8 doesn't mean a shitty game.

Top Bottom