• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

Boke1879

So........ They gonna hit 13 million sold at this rate?

Sure. The people buying this game won't give a shit about reviews. I loved the beta. This game has the SW name and appeal. The marketing alone is going to trump any negative review.

Review are about what I expected. The game looks great and sounds amazing, but the combat is lacking. If you're a big Star Wars fan you'll probably appreciate it, but it just doesn't stand up to Halo or BLOPS. It's an EA Vault title, for me.

The game lacks content and the gameplay isn't interesting enough or unique enough to alleviate that, and vice versa.

I'm honestly more just surprised that's an issue for as many press outlets as it is. I expected mid 80s.

The game is $80 dollars here in Canada on the PSN store ($90+ after taxes for a physical copy) and EA wants $69.99 for the season pass????? They are fucking insane if they think im paying $150+ for a multiplayer only game thats lacking in content out of the gate. After playing NFS recently and seeing how shallow and ridiculous that game was (always online for essentially a SINGLE PLAYER game), there's no fucking way im giving EA a cent. People should be boycotting these fucking scam artists for selling half games at full price. Fuck EA

Card Boy

Banned
Well deserved Metascore. It's what you get when you bite the hand that feeds you and don't have a SP campaign, stripped down content from the games predecessor, charge $60 and expect another $50 from a season pass.

Boke1879

Well deserved Metascore. It's what you get when you bite the hand that feeds you and don't have a SP campaign, stripped down content from the games predecessor, charge $60 and expect another $50 from a season pass.

The game will still sell 10 million +

wolfhowwl

Banned
Played the beta with friends and we all loved it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was another case where pleb reviewers just didn't get it like God Hand or Nier.

I'll be picking it up on Black Friday.

seems like this is gonna be a Destiny situation where metacritic score is average but game will sell truck loads. Hopefully the player base stays as large as Destiny as well.

It's $150 for the full package in Canada

Also, no mod support, streamlined stuff (no more class based stuff), vehicles and shuff are just floating pickups, can't control the AT-AT, etc

Reviews for this game don't mean shit to me.

The beta was awesome and the full game is all that plus more.

I'm surprised how hyped I got for this game considering I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan.

I think the gunplay in this reminds me of old school arcade shooters. It just feels refreshing compared to everything else I've played in the past few years.

This might end up being the first time I'll purchase a season pass for any game.

Bite the hand that feeds you?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't think this will have much of an impact on sales now, but I do suspect the core complaints seen here will hurt a potential sequel's chances of approaching the sales figures of the first one. The novelty will have worn off a bit, or perhaps more than a bit. And gamers may feel jaded over the amount of content they received here today.

*shrug* It'll still sell like gangbusters for now, though.

Sure. The people buying this game won't give a shit about reviews. I loved the beta. This game has the SW name and appeal. The marketing alone is going to trump any negative review.

I grew up with the original trilogy and along with most of my friends have seen the films dozens if not hundreds of times. I bought a PS4 in anticipation of the game. My reaction to review scores isn't going to be "damn, Call of Duty got an 81, WAY higher than 72 so I guess that's the shooter to get this holiday."

Incidentally, last year I originally was going to get a PS4 for DriveClub and Destiny and decided to get a Wii U last year because those games were so poorly received. If those games (or even one of them) was high 80s on Metacritic I might have bought a PS4 back then.

Star Wars is kinda review-proof.

aajohnny

I'm surprised how hyped I got for this game considering I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan.

I think the gunplay in this reminds me of old school arcade shooters. It just feels refreshing compared to everything else I've played in the past few years.

This might end up being the first time I'll purchase a season pass for any game.

Yeah I agree, I rarely ever really take reviews seriously anymore, it's all opinion. I obviously glance over and see what the most common complaint is but in the end as long as I enjoy it that's all that matters. I enjoyed the Beta as limited as it was but I'll probably pick this up regardless of reviews.

Tryxx

Played it on EA Access have absolutely no interest in buying it and am disappointed big time. The game is just bad, slow paced, not competitive at all, and it honestly gets boring pretty quick. There are numerous better options out right now for a FPS/TPS if you are interested, this game just is not it, and the reviews show it especially with a 72 metacritic.

MrDaravon

I don't think this will have much of an impact on sales now, but I do suspect the core complaints seen here will hurt a potential sequel's chances of approaching the sales figures of the first one. The novelty will have worn off a bit, or perhaps more than a bit. And gamers may feel jaded over the amount of content they received here today.

*shrug* It'll still sell like gangbusters for now, though.

Pretty much this. Hype for Star Wars and this game (that TV ad is so goddamn good) is at peak levels, I'd guess an overwhelming majority of people won't ever know or care how it reviews. Will come into play though come sequel/DLC time if people feel burned on it after having a few months or more with it.

Unless I wind up really loving some of the other smaller game modes (which I very much doubt after watching Early Access footage of them) I'll probably return my my Gamefly copy once the first paid DLC hits and splits the userbase, if not earlier. As someone who only really cares about the big game modes only 4 maps for each (5 if you count Jakku assuming that's in both modes) is borderline unacceptable, and paying $50 for more equally so. This is pretty much THE perfect Gamefly game though IMO; if I feel burned I can return it, if I wind up loving it I can keep it. Great for on the fence game releases like this.

Zabuza

Banned
Played the beta with friends and we all loved it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was another case where pleb reviewers just didn't get it like God Hand or Nier.

I'll be picking it up on Black Friday.
Lmfao. What's not to get? God Hand had extremely deep gameplay that was hard to grasp at first. Nier has a god-tier ost and a phenomenal story you have to dive into to appreciate.

This, this is all surface level. I hope you're kidding.

SegaShack

This (although I did like the GS review). Hell I remember Sin and Punishment 2 and Sonic Generations getting mediocre reviews for being "too short", yet they were some of my favorites last generation.

Kriken

There's no way DICE/EA expected scores like this, game felt really meh for me in EA Access, I'll wait for a deep discount or a cheap GOTY Edition

Played it on EA Access have absolutely no interest in buying it and am disappointed big time. The game is just bad, slow paced, not competitive at all, and it honestly gets boring pretty quick. There are numerous better options out right now for a FPS/TPS if you are interested, this game just is not it, and the reviews show it especially with a 72 metacritic.

I'm curious as to what other Multiplayer 3rd person shooters you would recommend for Consoles?

I legit can't think of anything besides GTA V, but I don't think that qualifies as a competitive online shooter.

he's referring to the customers

I believe consumers are the hand here. It makes sense in context. There's no way around this, this game is a $110 dollar game min. The Season pass is required to make it a "full game" much like Destiny.
I understand the saying. Just seems an odd choice since the content was there before we as customers did anything other than hype ourselves up. The content hasn't been a secret either since the Beta and app.

Seems more of a fitting statement to future DLC or updates that are detriment to the player base (p2w micros for example).

That said, it's pretty bare regardless of the circumstances behind it. Probably would have waited if not for GCU and the $25 cert

I understand the saying. Just seems an odd choice since the content was there before we as customers did anything other than hype ourselves up. The content hasn't been a secret either since the Beta and app.

Seems more of a fitting statement to future DLC or updates that are detriment to the player base (p2w micros for example).

I guess it's just also in line with how things have to move forward unless consumers stop buying it. Which they won't. Gaming is cheaper than ever and Inflation hasn't kept up with games. Game publishers need to have continued growth. This is how they check those boxes on these IP's with massive development costs. Honestly I'd rather have payed $100-120 out of the gate for a complete game than get it like this, but consumers can't/won't handle that.

Mob_zter

Neo Member
I already Pre-ordered the game.I always expected these review scores. so it doesn't bother me.i like what iv seen so far. My copy gonna be here in 4 or 5 days. Cant wait.

Look at Destiny. Reviewed Just like this. GAF & reddit still bashing it. Still sold million & one of the best selling games ever. And this is Star wars we are talking about. And i got a feeling its gonna break 13 million expectations easily.

I mean, every single person knew this game wouldn't review amazing. It was impossible after the beta was played. I just checked the PS4 meta page and its 77 which is ok all things considered.

I enjoyed the beta so much and figured that this could be my go to shooter for a couple hours on some nights every week going forward. I don't have much time for super in depth MP experiences (though trying it right now with Blops III).

As a huge Star Wars guy, this game seems to tick all the right boxes, even if there is a lack of content, campaign or the progression system is weak.

Sucks that the game unlocks for us EU peasants on Thursday, I want to get into it now!

bounchfx

There's no way DICE/EA expected scores like this, game felt really meh for me in EA Access, I'll wait for a deep discount or a cheap GOTY Edition

GOTY edition? from who? what? have you seen the other games out this year?

I mean, I guess it wouldn't be surprising for some outlet to grace this game with such a title but.. you know. No doubt there's gonna be a DLC-included version later down the line though, for sure. I'll probably pick that one up myself as long as the game still has an active community then

Burt

I like people who say " fuck reviews ! Who cares about them ! Game is awesome !" Because it doesn't suit their narrative.

Welcome to review threads...?

At least it's better than people poring over a review's every word for ways to manufacture 'contradictions' because they feel the need to discredit a reviewer whose score doesn't align with their preconception.

If there was ever a game worth saying "Fuck the reviews I'M ALL IN", this Star Wars game is probably it.

Top Bottom