• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2016 |OT| No Bothans died to bring us this information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I bet even comic con next week will get cool stuff, and if i had gone and spent all my money going to London as a Star Wars fan, I'd be pissed

This whole thing made me realize that I shouldn't bother going to the Orlando one even though I live 40 minutes from it.

shingi70

Banned
This whole thing made me realize that I shouldn't bother going to the Orlando one even though I live 40 minutes from it.

Last year's Celebration was pretty great, this year's is just in a bit of an Awkward place considering they have much of anything to announce right now.

BahamutPT

3sJnS25.jpg

DKHF

This probably doesn't mean a trailer in October but TFA and Rogue One have followed the same timeline of releasing videos so far (outside of TFA's Thanksgiving 2014 teaser). Both had a trailer in April and then behind the scenes style video in July. TFA then released the last trailer in October. But I don't think they will wait that long to release the next Rogue One trailer...

Thrawn in Rebels, Zahn collaborating and getting a new book from him made it for me. Without that, it would have been disappointing.

Rogue One was about as expected. I was happy with the BTS reel and seeing the cast's enthusiasm. It did seem like the perfect time to announce the title for VIII though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Must say the whole thing didnt feel nearly as grandiose as last years, half of it felt slightly put together at the last minute without much actual content to fill panels.

That being said, highlights

EA Panel was good
Architecture of Star Wars was great
Sizzle was nice
Mark Hamill was great.

It is pretty funny that they didn't stream the Future Filmmakers panel, despite the fact there was basically nothing we didn't already know and no big reveals.

Surfinn

Only highlight for me was the reel which was excellent. Surprised at the lack of info on EP8 although it does make sense this far out.

I'm not as shocked about the no Episode 8 info, since this year is more about Rogue One marketing, but they can't even release the mostly same footage + Vader trailer to the public. Die in a fire Lucasfilm!

curb

Banned
They did a whole panel about Ahsoka Tano. This Celebration was a-ok in my books.

I wish I cared about Thrawn.

Edit: also, I think people disappointed by the lack of VIII news when Lucasfilm has R1 to promoted let their hype get the better of them.

I understand the disappointment about the lack of news for VIII, but that panel was a blast to watch live. Really funny.

I had a really good time today. Seeing the Rogue One props and costumes was probably my favourite thing and I may have overdone taking pictures. Seeing everyone dressed up and having fun, especially kids, was really heartwarming. I didn't buy anything or do any experience things like ILMxLab because none of those really mattered to me. I really enjoyed the live stage, especially when they brought Doug Chiang since I love it when artists talk their craft. Also saw Carrie Fisher there. No Mark Hamill unfortunately, but hey, I still had a nice time.

My first convention type thing and I'm tired as hell.

They did a whole panel about Ahsoka Tano. This Celebration was a-ok in my books.

I wish I cared about Thrawn.

Edit: also, I think people disappointed by the lack of VIII news when Lucasfilm has R1 to promoted let their hype get the better of them.
Actually yeah, the Ahsoka panel was another highlight. Filoni is always entertaining, especially his mind games with Ashley.

Metalmarc

This is what i think will be at Next years celebration April 2017 if i had to guess.

Any guesses gaf, do you think I'm right on any of these? Ooh it could be a good one if your in Orlando.

image.png

Dvd/Bluray/Digital marketing for Rogue One
Episode 8 trailer/Poster and Panel Feat Boyega, Daisy, Oscar, Rian Johnson etc
Han solo movie is 4 months into production so probably behind the Scenes pictures,production Sketches, possible teaser for con attendees only like they did for Rogue One last year.
Season 4 of rebels tease, full trailer at comic con later in the year.
Thrawn Novel Releases same month possibly Timoth Zahn Panel or Meet n Greet @ celebration
Announcement of Future Spinoff movie title whether Bobafett or Obi-Wan or both
Episode 8 Toys/Merch first look
Episode 8 Novels

The usual chats with
Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher with announcement of her next book
Anthony Daniels
Ray Park

Fan Film Awards
Game Panel, teaser trailer of Amy Hennig game, Announcement possible teaser of Battlefront 2

Next year is also a huge Anniversary Year for Star Wars it is the 40th Anniversary, so with that in mind this is what i think will be at next years Celebration.

image.jpg

40th Anniversary Panel, Celebrating 40 years of A New Hope, maybe feat Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher,Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, George Lucas as a special guest? (Maybe not) Or via a video message? Etc.

40th Anniversary Merch Exclusive to Celebration and the Announcements of Merch that will be available to the rest of the public soon.

Battlefront 2 - Tatooine Dlc/Classic new hope packs for the 40th Anniversary.

40th Anniversary Edition Re-release of a New Hope/Classic Trilogy on 4k/regular Bluray/Digital/Dvd.

If any of this is true it's gonna be huge.

Slime

Banned
Ahsoka, Rebels and Hamill panels made it for me.

Rogue One was fun too, mostly because of Gwendoline Christie, but the "sizzle" disappointment kind of dampened it.

Thrawn didn't do much for me either, though. I can see why it was a highlight for a lot of people, but I was more hyped for Wedge and the Bendu.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Next Celebration is in April? Probably holding the title (plus teaser) reveal for that. 2016 is 100% Rogue One.
Nah title is gonna be this year, either (but less likely) next week when filming legit wraps or this winter with R1

Those initial Episode VII teasers were on fire. Rogue One has had a sort of whatever teaser so far. Doesn't mean the movie won't be great, but trailers do the heavy lifting when it comes to hype.

The teasers were great, but the main reason was that it was a sequel to Return of the Jedi. People wanted to find out what happened to Luke, Han and Leia.

When they start to use Vader in the marketing, it'll pick up, but it'll never reach the levels of anticipation TFA had.

-griffy-

Banned
Episode VII had 30 years of pent up hype building up to it, amplified by both prequel haters wanting a "proper" Star Wars movie and prequel lovers just wanting a sequel.

Rogue One is the first film in the new annual-Star-Wars-film reality. It's impossible for it to achieve that level of hype.

DKHF

This is what i think will be at Next years celebration April 2017 if i had to guess.

Any guesses gaf, do you think I'm right on any of these? Ooh it could be a good one if your in Orlando.

image.png

Dvd/Bluray/Digital marketing for Rogue One
Episode 8 trailer/Poster and Panel Feat Boyega, Daisy, Oscar, Rian Johnson etc
Han solo movie is 4 months into production so probably behind the Scenes pictures,production Sketches, possible teaser for con attendees only like they did for Rogue One last year.
Season 4 of rebels tease, full trailer at comic con later in the year.
Thrawn Novel Releases same month possibly Timoth Zahn Panel or Meet n Greet @ celebration
Announcement of Future Spinoff movie title whether Bobafett or Obi-Wan or both
Episode 8 Toys/Merch first look
Episode 8 Novels

The usual chats with
Mark Hamill
Carrie Fisher with announcement of her next book
Anthony Daniels
Ray Park

Fan Film Awards
Game Panel, teaser trailer of Amy Hennig game, Announcement possible teaser of Battlefront 2
TFA's blu-ray came out in early April so if they do the same with Rogue One its blu-ray will already be out by then for a few weeks so I don't know if they'll be marketing it much at that point but if it comes a bit later in the year than TFA's did then yeah. Episode VIII trailer and panel with the cast definitely. Too early for a poster, they'll probably reveal that at D23 like with TFA. Before today's panel I would have been optimistic that they would show Han Solo stuff at that point but now nope. It'll be 90% ep VIII. I fucking hope they announce Amy's game properly there but it'll probably be at E3.

TheXbox

That 40th anniversary logo....

We're getting the original unaltered trilogy next year. Believe.
Yep. I need an unaltered RotJ so fucking bad.

Wonder if they'll put those out at 4K as well. I think it's known that they already did the 4K transfers, but only for the Special Editions..? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

If nothing else they'll announce SOMETHING. Whether it's 4K, unaltered trilogy release, or both.

BahamutPT

This was my first live Celebration. Absolutely loved the experience, even if one or two panels didn't live up to my (somewhat hopeful) expectations.
I just had a blast every single day, even during the long queues, getting to talk to random people around me, from several nationalities, about everything and anything. It's kind of a cliché, but it's hard to explain the feeling of constantly being around people so happy and having fun around something. Plus, everyone was so nice all the time.

I'm pretty sure I'll be crossing the ocean, heading to Orlando next year, so I hope to see some of you over there.

Metalmarc

This was my first live Celebration. Absolutely loved the experience, even if one or two panels didn't live up to my (somewhat hopeful) expectations.
I just had a blast every single day, even during the long queues, getting to talk to random people around me, from several nationalities, about everything and anything. It's kind of a cliché, but it's hard to explain the feeling of constantly being around people so happy and having fun around something. Plus, everyone was so nice all the time.

I'm pretty sure I'll be crossing the ocean, heading to Orlando next year, so I hope to see some of you over there.

Take any photos youd like to share with us? I like seeing official photos by the websites, but sometimes love even more the photos from the fans point of view, they feel more i dunno real sometimes, ie not professional or polished, or shopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom