• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

witness

Got my tickets for Saturday! Wife surprised me with tickets, we live in Orlando and skipped the show in 2012 so I'm stupid hyped right now. I've never been to anything like this, and good god I'm ready to spend so much money on exclusive merch.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The poster barely acknowledges the prequels and entirely ignores Rogue One.
I approve.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Can't imagine that won't get brought up on some stage or another. I remember at the 2015 Celebration there was a panel specifically for Rogue One - was supposed to also include the Boba Fett movie, but Josh Trank melted down on Fantastic Four and his appearance (and the movie) got pulled.

I would guess we might see photos of the cast in costume.

I remember that Rogue One panel now. I think they showed a cast photo in costume and a brief synopsis, so that's about what I'm expecting.

Got hired as a crew member so that means I can go to see the event!

But I'm worried since a friend who was a previous crew volunteer told me that travel and hotel was covered (it's not.) and I believed him. No I'm trying to figure out how to make this work.

Anyone have any cheap hotel tips? For transportation I'll just have to use a shuttle.

marq_roq

Neo Member
My buddy and I are doing it. We'll be there by midnight tomorrow for the 40th panel, and probably closer to 8 on Thursday for the Last Jedi panel. Go big or go home

But I've got to be in that room, Bobby!

I've got to be in there too!! Going to hit the OCCC tomorrow at 8 and stay there until about 7pm Friday night then off to Disney Studios for their Star Wars night. Once in a lifetime!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
JJ isn't directing this one.

Do a little research before you embarrass yourself with a post like this.....

uIwOgjw.png

I've got to be in there too!! Going to hit the OCCC tomorrow at 8 and stay there until about 7pm Friday night then off to Disney Studios for their Star Wars night. Once in a lifetime!

We're stressing about when we need to get in line to get into the main room for the 40th lol. Getting to the hotel around 3pm which is within walking distance and if we're getting in line before midnight we'll obviously opt to catch some sleep beforehand... so just playing it by ear I guess.

marq_roq

Neo Member
We're stressing about when we need to get in line to get into the main room for the 40th lol. Getting to the hotel around 3pm which is within walking distance and if we're getting in line before midnight we'll obviously opt to catch some sleep beforehand... so just playing it by ear I guess.

I meant 8pm btw. I'm hoping that's soon enough to get into the Galaxy stage. If it's not, I'll just hit the show floor and watch it from one of the stages in there.

Fj0823

Hayden is is going to be at a panel?

Man I'd lose my shit if he and Ewan anounce that their going to be working on the Obi Wan movie everyone wants

The salt alone would sustain me for years

Ridisc

Banned
With a solid performance as a force ghost Hayden could easily resurrect his fandom in the community, give him good lines and good direction and at the very very worst hell be good enough and good enough in comparison to the prequels is above bar.

Yup. They invited him back and I'm sure he'll be on a panel.

Glad he's there as well. Dude deserves to be there.

He's speaking at the 40th and is doing autographs.

BUT his appearance in general does make me curious. If he randomly walked out on stage during the VIII panel... lmao

Ridisc

Banned
He's speaking at the 40th and is doing autographs.

BUT his appearance in general does make me curious. If he randomly walked out on stage during the VIII panel... lmao

There are a few genuine show stealing potential moments, that would probably be the biggest (I would say OBI wan but if that happens no-ones going to be surprised).

Slaythe

With a solid performance as a force ghost Hayden could easily resurrect his fandom in the community, give him good lines and good direction and at the very very worst hell be good enough and good enough in comparison to the prequels is above bar.

You see George Lucas literally tell him and show him how to deliver the lines and then go like "yes perfect".

Hayden had to work with everything against him, he was rather competent in some of his other movies like Shattered Glass.

Not to mention they added his face in EP VI without telling him. The amount of hate he got is so unjustified.

He definitely deserves a better shot to redeem himself. Hopefully either in a clone wars movie (he's still young) with McGregor, or as visions / ghost. Or hell a Vador spin off movie where Vador ends up damaged / helmetless.

Glad to see him back !

Watched Revenge of the Sith last night and I still think he's fine in it. Instances of bad line deliveries are also instances of straight up shit writing IMO.

"My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count."

What does anyone actually do with lines like that? You can write that shit but you can't say it :p

But then there's a lot of script there and therefore not all lines and scenes are bad, and I think his performance is pretty good through plenty of it.

Slaythe

Watched Revenge of the Sith last night and I still think he's fine in it. Instances of bad line deliveries are also instances of straight up shit writing IMO.

Yeah, as if any actor in the world could have done a better job with stuff like "the sand line".

That's why there are directors, writers, actor directors, scripts etc... usually that are not just one person. Lucas was doing all that himself and he is the absolute worst and worked with people that never questioned him so...

Also question, I am in Europe.

How do the streams work ? Do you have to pay for it ? Can you rewatch them "not live" because timezone will make me miss them I'm sure.

Ridisc

Banned
Yeah, as if any actor in the world could have done a better job with stuff like "the sand line".

That's why there are directors, writers, actor directors, scripts etc... usually that are not just one person. Lucas was doing all that himself and he is the absolute worst and worked with people that never questioned him so...

Also question, I am in Europe.

How do the streams work ? Do you have to pay for it ? Can you rewatch them "not live" because timezone will make me miss them I'm sure.

last year it was all archived for free, there were certain panels that were not streamed and not archived (Such as future filmakers panel) but insofar as im aware nothing related to the films is like that this year. Its all free, you will be able to watch them on youtube after the event or on sw.com

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I might be misremembering but didn't someone talk about how George would direct Hayden to purposely act wrong? Like a lot of the weird decisions in his acting weren't his fault but just George not knowing how to direct people.

Anyway, Hayden was pretty good in Episode III. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him show up in some expect in a later movie.

sphagnum

Banned
I might be misremembering but didn't someone talk about how George would direct Hayden to purposely act wrong? Like a lot of the weird decisions in his acting weren't his fault but just George not knowing how to direct people.

Anyway, Hayden was pretty good in Episode III. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him show up in some expect in a later movie.

Yes, I've actually posted the source before but I can't remember what it is. Hayden wanted to act more like his EPIII self but George told him in AotC to be purposefully whiny and annoying because of the age Anakin was at.

Eh, I'm just pretty done with Anakin/Vader. Would rather other characters got more exposure.

This is a weird thing to want but I would love it if the original Clone Wars series got a rerelease. Even as a non-canon cartoon it's damn good and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would enjoy seeing it for the first time.

Slaythe

Well George didn't intend for his performance to be despised and considered "wrong".

But yes everything that you see in the final movie, was George's will. All of it. To him it was great.

At the same point in time, he doesn't cringe at the stuff he writes and because of the original trilogy's cult status, nobody dared to question his decisions.

The same thing happened with Indiana Jones IV, which ended up being the most insulting thing George has ever done.

Ridisc

Banned
Like I say a great way to shift this, if it fits the narrative of course, is to have him play Anakin again and have it be fine, doesnt need to be great, just fine. Given where the films are going with bringing back characters and given how much of an influence Vader is, there is ample room to bring him back. Though it would be kind of weird to have an older Luke talk to a much younger actor playing his father, im sure a good director could thread this though.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I liked that concept in TFA of Anakin's ghost being split between Anakin/Vader. That'd be real cool to see happen in one of the movies.

Darkgran

Uh yeah my comment about research was a joke. I've been on this board long enough to know when someone else is joking...

pxleyes

Banned
Chilling in my hotel tonight and most of tomorrow to rest up for a long night. Starting to feel that excitement finally.

Hit up Disney Springs tomorrow. Free, good place to walk around, they have a Star Wars store (2 of them), and did I mention it is free?

Slaythe

last year it was all archived for free, there were certain panels that were not streamed and not archived (Such as future filmakers panel) but insofar as im aware nothing related to the films is like that this year. Its all free, you will be able to watch them on youtube after the event or on sw.com

Oh ok awesome !!!

pxleyes

Banned
Has anyone been to a celebration in the past? I'm going on Saturday, and I'm taking the wife and my kids (toddler and infant). I'm not planning on standing in line for any panels, but I figure there will be more than enough to do with the prop showcases, art areas, and other niceties.

Just landed in Orlando. Ready for 4 days of Star Wars come Thursday.

As this is not only my first celebration, but my first con of any kind, what advice can the GAF vets give me?

Battlefront 2 is looking amazing, brehs

I saw a bunch of stuff that wasn't gameplay and character models that still looked completely awful, so I'm still just... well, waiting to see gameplay lol

Teasers like that for videogames do nothing for me but I'm sure there'll be a lot more shown in a few days!

chaislip3

I saw a bunch of stuff that wasn't gameplay and character models that still looked completely awful, so I'm still just... well, waiting to see gameplay lol

Teasers like that for videogames do nothing for me but I'm sure there'll be a lot more shown in a few days!

Yeah I see where you're coming from.

I'm just hyped that we're getting stuff from every era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom