• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

I'm somehow a little less jealous now that I realize what kind of wait there is for celebration, haha. But you guys all get to see the premiere trailer for TLJ in a crazy ass atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, Luke at the Emperor's Throne is the greatest moment of the entire series. But it's pretty obvious that ROTJ just ain't on the level of Empire and ANH.
I can agree with that

Rey claiming the saber is a better moment than Luke throwing his away
The space battle in Rogue One is better than the one in Jedi

Case Closed. Gotta remake Episode 6 now. Has to be done. Throw it on the pile with the Prequels, and lets start up some Change.org petitions toot sweet

Jacce

Banned

Case Closed. Gotta remake Episode 6 now. Has to be done. Throw it on the pile with the Prequels, and lets start up some Change.org petitions toot sweet

Where is my remake of The Man With The Golden Gun petition Bobby? WHERE IS IT. We must demand 100% pure quality from every James Bond film as well.

Surfinn

Fuck outta here
Visually R1's is obviously superior. But the audience is nowhere near as invested in the characters involved. I really didn't care about anything other than them doing their job. If they all suddenly got blown out of space I wouldn't care too much (in terms of investment). I care about Lando. I care about Luke.

In that sense they're both a lot better.

Jacce

Banned
Aright, I think we should also start compiling a list of which particular scenes down to the second in IV & V that don't meet our 100% pure quality level that also need remade along I-III, and VI.

Chairhome

I have a friend setting up at artist alley right now and there are already people in line to get into the convention tomorrow. I'll post a pic when I can.

I'm only going on Sunday

Chairhome

zBYaqmj.jpg

Taken today

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
starwars_forceghost80uca.png

I'd be surprised if The Last Jedi wouldn't feature a force ghost. And a little teaser (maybe a voice over) of such I don't think would be too outlandish for the trailer.

Surfinn

Rösti;233804742 said:

I'd be surprised if The Last Jedi wouldn't feature a force ghost. And a little teaser (maybe a voice over) of such I don't think would be too outlandish for the trailer.
If it's Yoda you'll never hear the end of it. But I hope it's Yoda.

Sephzilla

I'm in the minority but I think ROTJ is on par with Empire and think the Emperor's Throne Room scenes are better than anything in Empire aside from "I AM YOUR FATHER"

Hell no.

No. Rogue One's space battle is honestly a touch overrated. A New Hope and Jedi's battles are both better than it. Heck, the Hoth battle in Empire might be better too.

Rösti;233804742 said:

Nute Gunray

Boem

Visually R1's is obviously superior. But the audience is nowhere near as invested in the characters involved. I really didn't care about anything other than them doing their job. If they all suddenly got blown out of space I wouldn't care too much (in terms of investment). I care about Lando. I care about Luke.

In that sense they're both a lot better.

I agree with this actually.

And I loved Rogue One.

It's not for panels though, I don't know if they're going to tell them they can't wait for doors to open

What's it for then? Cause that's all that's queuing. I know someone on reddit contacted Celebration customer service and the response was security would be kicking people off the property who lined up.

Chairhome

What's it for then? Cause that's all that's queuing. I know someone on reddit contacted Celebration customer service and the response was security would be kicking people off the property who lined up.
There are 2 separate halls reserved for queueing for the panels. This is just to get into the convention hall. I'll let you know if they get kicked out

Surfinn

Anyone saying the Rogue One space battle is anything less than GOAT is lying.
There's no one to anchor the battle. Who are we invested in? Where is the tension? Sure it looks great but these battles need emotional investment.

I didn't find any in the R1 space battle. Because of this I was honestly a little bored.

Bobby might hate it but there's a lot of valid criticism there.

I should probably say: I'd love to be wrong about all of this. I'd love for George Lucas to come walking out on stage to announce a new blu-ray set that's got the originals on it coming for Christmas, before throwing it to Harrison, who says he and Billy Dee are doing cameos for the Han & Lando movie, at which point a quick little teaser from the footage already shot is screened & the title is revealed, and at the last minute, John Williams walks out onstage and it's revealed the first three rows are actually AN ORCHESTRA and he conducts Rey's Theme and the Imperial March before Hayden Christensen walks out in the Vader Costume, pulls off his helmet, and tells everyone he'll see them tomorrow at the Last Jedi panel.

Lucas is gonna walk on stage to a booming ovation, as the most glorious rendition of the Imperial March ever heard is blasted from the sound system. In his arms he cradles Hayden Christensen, who is openly weeping. Hayden opens his mouth as if to speak, only no sound escapes. Instead, his mouth continues to widen. In the back of his throat an object catches the light and the crowd goes silent. Then, all at once, exploding forth from his gaping maw comes SPOOLS of film reel, violently snaking in every direction, into the audience. THESE ARE THE UNTOUCHED REELS OF THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY. Pandemonium ensues. Prequel fans combust into flames. Lucas commands Christensen to expunge the film "Faster, and with more intensity." Kathy Kennedy smirks from the back of the stage. The giant Han Solo figure in Boyega's arms melts. Large sections of the audience are speaking in tongues, convulsing, passing out, the paramedics unable to move fast enough. The feed cuts to an unfazed and professional Anthony Carboni who succinctly wraps up the panel as DeeGoots quietly rolls around in the fetal position besides him.

Well, whatever happens now is going to be a disappointment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Taken today

And this is why I didn't end up going to Celebration even though it's 40 minutes from where I live.

I'd love to go to the main panels but not when the lines are this insane. Also, goddamn, that girl is going to be in that Slave Leia costume for a whole day.

Sephzilla

Rogue One's space battle is visually great but yeah it falls victim the problem of there being no characters you're emotionally invested in. This is why I think ROTJ's final battle is better.

The best part of Rogue One's finale is
Vader going ham on some Rebels for about 50 seconds

Davide

There's no one to anchor the battle. Who are we invested in? Where is the tension? Sure it looks great but these battles need emotional investment.

I didn't find any in the R1 space battle. Because of this I was honestly a little bored.

Bobby might hate it but there's a lot of valid criticism there.

Yeah I really enjoyed the space battle but this is a valid point.

But in ROTJ during the space battle segments I just want it to get back to the throne room.

mjc

Popping in to say the space battle at the end of R1 was the only redeeming thing about that dumpster fire of a movie.

There are 2 separate halls reserved for queueing for the panels. This is just to get into the convention hall. I'll let you know if they get kicked out

Convention hall is open to everyone right now so the only reason for them to queue outside is for the queue lines tonight.

Chairhome

Convention hall is open to everyone right now so the only reason for them to queue outside is for the queue lines tonight.
Convention Hall is not open to the public. Only for those with credentials.its set up day. Today is Wednesday.

Also, FYI: friend says there is no WiFi available in the queueing halls.

Surfinn

I guess out comes down to: how do you define a great battle? Are you just looking for cool action scenes? Cuz that's not good enough for me. ANH had a better battle scene not because it looks better or is more visually spectacular (spoiler: it still holds up well) but because the hero of the story is in deep shit and the success of the good guys is riding on his shoulders. He anchors the battle scenes.

Then the theme of star wars (trusting your instincts, believing in yourself and your abilities) kicks in and the good guys win. And not before pushing some incredibly effective development for Han and bringing him back into the fight so the hero has a fighting chance.

Yeah, it's better.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rogue One's third act is objectively the best third act ever made.

It's true, look it up. Brb, I need to get some water.

Convention Hall is not open to the public. Only for those with credentials.its set up day. Today is Wednesday.

Also, FYI: friend says there is no WiFi available in the queueing halls.

I've been to the hall today and walked around. I'm walking back over now to see what's going on with everything.

Chairhome

I think you're right, talking to my friend now. You can go there for early pick up of some merchandise. Not sure if they will let you in without some sort of pick up receipt. Also, my earlier comment was about free WiFi. You can get free WiFi in the lobby... It's $75 per day in the halls.
I've been to the hall today and walked around. I'm walking back over now to see what's going on with everything.
My bad. All my info is second hand

Yeah I really enjoyed the space battle but this is a valid point.

Yeah, because you guys are so invested in Nien Nunb and unnamed pilots 34 and 87 screaming into their comlinks for 3 seconds in Return of the Jedi

lieutenant_telsij.jpg
starwarsfemalepilot-jpg_193312.jpg
latest

Those are the faces of pure investment, right there.

The space battles aren't awesome because you actually give a fuck about the (mostly unnamed) people rocking back and forth on a gimbal. They're awesome because of the way they're shot, cut, and scored.

Rogue One's battle is planned out better, shot better, executed better. It's the best space battle in the series. There are obvious objectives, they all make visual sense, you can see them happening, track the action as it's happening even across cuts back down to the planet—and also, the way the ground battle feeds the air battle and vice-versa is also done better in Rogue One than it is Jedi—and that's not even getting into the fact the VFX work is fucking flawless, as is the sound design and score.

You fuckin' kids and your hard on for Jedi's climax has become this recursive feedback loop of overinflated importance to the point where even attempting to speak to it critically causes you to curl up like pillbugs (or droidekas) and nope out.

"where is the tension"

Yeah, Jedi's space battle was loaded chock full of "tension." Sure. I don't know what movie you're talking about, but it's not Return of the Jedi. That space battle is pure spectacle. Nothing more. GREAT spectacle, sure. And on the strength of that spectacle alone, it used to be the best space battle in that series.

It isn't now.

Sephzilla

Yeah, because you guys are so invested in Nien Nunb and unnamed pilots 34 and 87 screaming into their comlinks for 3 seconds in Return of the Jedi

The space battles aren't awesome because you actually give a fuck about the (mostly unnamed) people rocking back and forth on a gimbal. They're awesome because of the way they're shot, cut, and scored.

Rogue One's battle is planned out better, shot better, executed better. It's the best space battle in the series. There are obvious objectives, they all make visual sense, you can see them happening, track the action as it's happening even across cuts back down to the planet—and also, the way the ground battle feeds the air battle and vice-versa is also done better in Rogue One than it is Jedi—and that's not even getting into the fact the VFX work is fucking flawless, as is the sound design and score.

You fuckin' kids and your hard on for Jedi's climax has become this recursive feedback loop of overinflated importance to the point where even attempting to speak to it critically causes you to curl up like pillbugs (or droidekas) and nope out.

"where is the tension"

Yeah, Jedi's space battle was loaded chock full of "tension." Sure. I don't know what movie you're talking about, but it's not Return of the Jedi. That space battle is pure spectacle. Nothing more. GREAT spectacle, sure. And on the strength of that spectacle alone, it used to be the best space battle in that series.

It isn't now.

Thanks for telling me how to enjoy space battles.

Nah, Rogue One's final battle is still behind ANH and ROTJ for me.

Chairhome

Remember when this thread was about the convention and not an offshoot of the Star Wars Discussion thread in off-topic community?
Simpler times.

Blader

Rogue One's space battle is visually great but yeah it falls victim the problem of there being no characters you're emotionally invested in. This is why I think ROTJ's final battle is better.

I agree. Although I did like that one Rebel pilot in Rogue One's final battle. What was his name? I think he had a mustache or something.

edit: Rogue One also had blue Ackbar, who I also enjoyed very much.

Sephzilla

Jedi's space battle has Lando and Wedge, which is more than Rogue One's space battle has unless you really really give a shit about the Gold Squadron meatbags from ANH

RotJs space battle is better then R1 on john williams score alone. Without a doubt the best 15 minutes of action music he wrote for the series. Im a fan of Giacchino but man is his score forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom