• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor |OT| - Judge me by my file size, do you?

The FSR used here makes DLSS look like some kind of sci fi future tech. Disgusting IQ with so many artifacts it makes it look like your console is dieing. Lots of texture pop in and those unreal engine white flashes too.

There's no way of making this look acceptable on console (in motion at least) in its current state.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The FSR used here makes DLSS look like some kind of sci fi future tech. Disgusting IQ with so many artifacts it makes it look like your console is dieing. Lots of texture pop in and those unreal engine white flashes too.

There's no way of making this look acceptable on console (in motion at least) in its current state.
Its because the FSR is using a very low pixel base to upscale from. It is supposed to be 1440p in quality mode but it goes down to 872p. In performance mode, it dips to 600p. We saw the same thing with series s games that drop to sub 720p resolutions, no amount magic tech is going to save you from shit IQ.

I am playing this on PC and use FSR quality at 4k, so 1440p internal resolution (what PS5 is supposed to do in its quality mode) and it looks better than the native image. There are very few artifacts and while there is some shimmering its limited to very specific areas. DLSS wouldve cleaned those up for sure, but FSR works if you give it enough data to recreate from. 600p is only around 600k pixels. 870p is around 1.3 million pixels. 1440p is 3.7 million pixels. Obviously 1440p will be way better.

RT is simply too taxing in this game. They really need to fix the bugs in the non-RT mode and make it available on consoles. It will help the game hit 1440p 30 fps. 60 fps in this game is impossible due to the ridiculous CPU bottlenecks so they shouldnt even have bothered.

Buggy Loop

The ending of the Jedha drill machine escape was so fucking good. Really didn't expect that the green doors would be unlocked in this manner when i was playing.

yamaci17

Its because the FSR is using a very low pixel base to upscale from. It is supposed to be 1440p in quality mode but it goes down to 872p. In performance mode, it dips to 600p. We saw the same thing with series s games that drop to sub 720p resolutions, no amount magic tech is going to save you from shit IQ.

I am playing this on PC and use FSR quality at 4k, so 1440p internal resolution (what PS5 is supposed to do in its quality mode) and it looks better than the native image. There are very few artifacts and while there is some shimmering its limited to very specific areas. DLSS wouldve cleaned those up for sure, but FSR works if you give it enough data to recreate from. 600p is only around 600k pixels. 870p is around 1.3 million pixels. 1440p is 3.7 million pixels. Obviously 1440p will be way better.

RT is simply too taxing in this game. They really need to fix the bugs in the non-RT mode and make it available on consoles. It will help the game hit 1440p 30 fps. 60 fps in this game is impossible due to the ridiculous CPU bottlenecks so they shouldnt even have bothered.
dlss perf at 1440p can be very convinging or rather actually tolerable and usable. it is not great iq, or nothing close to native 1440p iq, but fact is, it is still leaps and bounds better than 1080 iq. i cant quite put it somewhere specific, but it is defnitely usable despite internal res moniker being at 720p.

with fsr, it even breaks at 4k so yeah.. fsr is worse. but magic tech can definitely help greatly. i've played w3 rtgi with 1440p dlss balanced which put mes around 835p internal res but game looked fantastic. it looked better than non RT GI native 1440p , aside from being a bit more blurrier (but not greatly)

1440p fsr balanced simply shits the bed.

The ending of the Jedha drill machine escape was so fucking good. Really didn't expect that the green doors would be unlocked in this manner when i was playing.
merrin
flame thrower fire GIF

my jaw dropped in that whole sequence. from start to finish. literal goosebumps. game has some crazy highs. and even its lows are not that low. this game is definitely a gem...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Is the PC version in a better state yet?
I have a 3080 and hoping for 4k 60, but without DLSS can't see it happening, how is FSR? Perhaps with raytracing off I can get there?
I'm nearing 30 hours on a 3080 at 2560x1440 w/RTX off and everything epic. Eyeing it, my FPS is almost always 60fps or close to it. Never ran into gnarly issues. But like others have mentioned, I think that DLSS mod may certainly get you to where you want, but only time will tell until we know for sure. But bless that dude for doing work that they didn't.

GymWolf

Depends on your CPU. If you have a really fast 5.5 ghz+ CPU then it might be possible with ray tracing off and FSR set to quality but if you have a regular sub 5.0 Ghz CPU then you will see drops in CPU heavy areas pretty much making 4k 60 fps impossible even at high settings with FSR on at quality. let alone Epic settings.

RT off also adds a lot of visual noise and bugs so i wont recommend it unless you are ok with seeing giant cones in reflections, hair looking orange instead and bizarre ghosting around characters.

I am playing at 4k 40 fps Epic locked with RT on at FSR quality. Can go up to 55 FPS in GPU bound areas but it drops way too much in the CPU bound areas and there are A LOT of them in this game. the game doesnt look good in native 4k tbh. it has a rather muddy look to it that FSR cleans up but FSR itself isnt really as good as DLSS so its a compromised experience so far.
What the fuck are those cpu intensive zones? The game has barely any physics, interaction or more than 10 enemies\npc on screen at the same time.

This game should be a fucking breeze on any cpu...

Shitty devs are shit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Wait what? Fsr quality looks better tham 4k native? How did they fucked up so much?

I need to try later.

SlimySnake

What the fuck are those cpu intensive zones? The game has barely any physics, interaction or more than 10 enemies\nps in screen at the same time.

This game should be a fucking breeze on any cpu...

Shitty devs are shit.
It's a UE4 limitation from what I understand. It apparently relies two main threads that handle all the CPU work so if for whatever reason your game is designed a bit differently then you might overload those threads causing CPU bottlenecks even if the rest of the 16 threads are sitting there doing nothing.

the game on consoles is running Raytracing even in performance mode which has a hit on the CPU. As for PC, i notice CPU bottlenecks whenever im in the town and especially in the saloon where there can be a couple of dozen NPCs if you've recruited them. That has to be it. Hogwarts, Redfall and other UE4 games have similar CPU bottlenecks. Matrix demo is also very CPU bound and worse, single threaded so this issue is probably going to affect next gen games too.

GymWolf

It's a UE4 limitation from what I understand. It apparently relies two main threads that handle all the CPU work so if for whatever reason your game is designed a bit differently then you might overload those threads causing CPU bottlenecks even if the rest of the 16 threads are sitting there doing nothing.

the game on consoles is running Raytracing even in performance mode which has a hit on the CPU. As for PC, i notice CPU bottlenecks whenever im in the town and especially in the saloon where there can be a couple of dozen NPCs if you've recruited them. That has to be it. Hogwarts, Redfall and other UE4 games have similar CPU bottlenecks. Matrix demo is also very CPU bound and worse, single threaded so this issue is probably going to affect next gen games too.
It's time to purge this shitty engine from existence...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wait what? Fsr quality looks better tham 4k native? How did they fucked up so much?

I need to try later.
Apparently 4k native uses shit TAA which looked very muddy to me in comparison.

If you change your preset to High or custom, it secretly changes the resolution scaling to 87% at which point it turns into 1800p or so and that reduces the IQ even further.

FSR obviously uses 1440p in quality mode, but I feel it looks much cleaner and sharper compared to native 1440p and native 4k. Some shimmering issues aside, i much prefer it over the native image especially since ive set Shadow and post processing to high instead of Epic and that forces the game into 87% resolution scaling.

GymWolf

Apparently 4k native uses shit TAA which looked very muddy to me in comparison.

If you change your preset to High or custom, it secretly changes the resolution scaling to 87% at which point it turns into 1800p or so and that reduces the IQ even further.

FSR obviously uses 1440p in quality mode, but I feel it looks much cleaner and sharper compared to native 1440p and native 4k. Some shimmering issues aside, i much prefer it over the native image especially since ive set Shadow and post processing to high instead of Epic and that forces the game into 87% resolution scaling.
So what i have to do to have the best possible quality?

diffusionx

Gold Member

I've said this before but I played Ghostwire Tokyo on my 3440x1440 UW monitor and FSR looked the same as DLSS. Maybe if I put on a jeweler's loup and zoomed in to 80000% it would show a difference but I really don't think the problem is the algorithm. As you say there is not enough pixel info to reconstruct here.

SlimySnake

So what i have to do to have the best possible quality?
Use FSR Quality at native 4k. See if you can notice a difference. I saw the biggest difference in the forest area with lots of foliage. Game looked way sharper in FSR.

If you dont like the FSR image and you 4080 can do native 4k at 60 fps then dont choose High or Custom Settings, stick with Epic.

Hugare

Newer DLSS versions are capable of presenting some pretty good IQ even at very low resolutions (sub 720p)

Maybe modders will implement DLSS with using FSR 2 as a way to breach it into the game, I dont know. Hopefuly.

Went ahead and got it to work again and finished the main campaign +
all the bounties

I'll do all the sidequest later this year once they patch the terrible performance. Story was alright tho, i'd give the game like a 7/10.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man the more I play Im having a good time overall, but I still really wish they would have implemented a fully regenerating force bar so you had more constant access to your force powers, and then balanced the game around that.

Every fight I feel like I can only pull off a couple cool Jedi moves then Im forced starved. Its just so lame to have some stormtroopers standing by a ledge and be like "Nope cant shove them off. All out of the force sorry."

Last edited:

Madflavor

Beat the game. Ignoring the technical issues it's a perfectly fine 8/10 type of game. I do find the combat to be incredibly frustrating though. It feels like the game wants the combat to be fast paced and flow well, but at the same time it's taking a tactical Souls-like approach. Like you want to acrobatically zip around the battlefield slashing bad guys with you Lightsaber left and right, but you can't, even though the animations and flow of combat make you want to. It doesn't help that the response time for block, dodging and parrying just doesn't feel good. There were so many times where I got hit where it feels like I shouldn't, and so many times where I got hit because I was animation locked because surprise surprise, twirling around like a Ballerina in a sword fight is an ineffective combat style.

The high difficulty mode of this game really exposes how shitty the combat system really is. It's not a case of "git gud". I never felt this way with FromSoftware games. For the record I beat the game on Jedi Master.

As for the Story, it was fine but I enjoyed Fallen Order more. Trilla was a much better villain than the one in Survivor. But I will say:

I was happy to see Cal and Merrin got together.

Nydius

And that’s fine but in this case the difference is so grandiose that it completely changes the game to an almost kindergarten level akin to a game where you have to count the farm animals. 😱🤣

Why are we gatekeeping difficulty? Who cares

I hate to say it but after looking at the chart I kind of agree with RoboFu RoboFu on this.

Jumping from 12 to 80 hits before death is rather excessive considering Story mode also reduces the parry timing window to near zero. Pressing the button at any time during an enemy attack results in a parry no matter what. Combined, that doesn't just reduce the challenge, it eliminates it outright. 60-80 hits with the normal parry timing, I would have been okay with. Or 25-30 hits with the zero window parry timing.

I don't really see it as gatekeeping so much as feeling like someone who picks story mode is getting such a watered down experience that they might as well not be playing a game anymore.

I hate to say it but after looking at the chart I kind of agree with RoboFu RoboFu on this.

Jumping from 12 to 80 hits before death is rather excessive considering Story mode also reduces the parry timing window to near zero. Pressing the button at any time during an enemy attack results in a parry no matter what. Combined, that doesn't just reduce the challenge, it eliminates it outright. 60-80 hits with the normal parry timing, I would have been okay with. Or 25-30 hits with the zero window parry timing.

I don't really see it as gatekeeping so much as feeling like someone who picks story mode is getting such a watered down experience that they might as well not be playing a game anymore.
Story driven games exist. Nobody played Torment or Life is Strange for the gameplay.

Nydius

Story driven games exist. Nobody played Torment or Life is Strange for the gameplay.
Except this game isn't designed to be solely a "story driven game" like Life is Strange.

If you make the parry window zero and then make it nigh impossible for someone to be killed, you've utterly removed the entire point of a lot of the game like the perks and skills system. No need to use any perks for blocks and parries when you literally can't fail them.

At that point it's no longer a game and just an interactive movie you push an analog stick to progress.

Last edited:

SCB3

Except this game isn't designed to be solely a "story driven game" like Life is Strange.

If you make the parry window zero and then make it nigh impossible for someone to be killed, you've utterly removed the entire point of a lot of the game like the perks and skills system. No need to use any perks for blocks and parries when you literally can't fail them.

At that point it's no longer a game and just an interactive movie you push an analog stick to progress.
Its a mix of both, the story is the games strong point as was the case with the first, but the first game was still pretty hard for casuals, remember Star Wars is also for kids so this mode allows them to play it pretty well and actually experience a game that otherwise is completely inaccessible for them

I mean don't get me wrong I play at one difficulty below the hardest and its tough and you have a point, 80 hits is pretty excessive and it may as well just be God mode at that point

Luipadre

So i assume they will patch this game weekly for a few weeks. Both of the latest patches were on tuesday so that might be their patch day

Yerd

I'm sure google will tell me, but maybe one of yous guys know.

Where is the force tear that has the 150 droids to kill, and where is the upgrade to the map for datapoints?

I haven't found the map upgrade yet, and I want to revisit those droids to mess around, but I don't remember where it was.

SCB3

And done, and at 100% as well which was surprising, I even did the double frogs in under 5 attempts! This surpassed the original in a lot of ways imo but the story once again is kinda backed into a corner with the outcome pretty much known that the Empire wins, thats not to say its not a bad story but there is only so much you can do and leaning into the High Republic and the history of the Jedi is a smart way of doing it, hell it made me start reading those books so as marketing it worked wonders.

A solid 9/10, would be 10/10 if not for the performance issues and this is looking to be my GotY much like the first one was and when I eventually replay this, most likely on PC, hopefully the issues are sorted

However, as much as I love Cal Kestis, I think a few suggestions I've read about creating your own Jedi in a more traditional souls like would be fantastic, either that or dammit give Respawn KotOR and have me play as Fucking Revan!

Banned
I decided I'm going to wait until further patches... the performance is just so bad right now that even using framerate mode doesn't help with the massive input lag in many places anymore because the framerate is so low that you're basically on Quality mode input lag levels.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Is this game good? Anything next gen about it? I dont give a shit about Star Wars, I would only be playing it for the game itself, not the lore.

Better on X or PS5?

Last edited:

yamaci17

Is this game good? Anything next gen about it? I dont give a shit about Star Wars, I would only be playing it for the game itself, not the lore.

Better on X or PS5?
it has fully fledged RTGI so yeah it justifies being a nextgen only game
i think ps5 is more stable. dualsense is used A LOT in this title. it is worth to play on ps5 for dsense features alone. that too is nextgen. they did not hold back implementation, even using a burner on a droid in a cutscene is haptic feedback'ed. they did some real work in. its def worth it

graphics are wonderous but i'd guess u'd have to play 30 fps bcoz unlocked fps mode will lower resolution a lot

Better on X or PS5?
Probably slightly better on PS5 TBH. Performance mode still really sucks on both.

Great game if you like souls-like games though.

Last edited:
Beat the game. Ignoring the technical issues it's a perfectly fine 8/10 type of game. I do find the combat to be incredibly frustrating though. It feels like the game wants the combat to be fast paced and flow well, but at the same time it's taking a tactical Souls-like approach. Like you want to acrobatically zip around the battlefield slashing bad guys with you Lightsaber left and right, but you can't, even though the animations and flow of combat make you want to. It doesn't help that the response time for block, dodging and parrying just doesn't feel good. There were so many times where I got hit where it feels like I shouldn't, and so many times where I got hit because I was animation locked because surprise surprise, twirling around like a Ballerina in a sword fight is an ineffective combat style.

The high difficulty mode of this game really exposes how shitty the combat system really is. It's not a case of "git gud". I never felt this way with FromSoftware games. For the record I beat the game on Jedi Master.

As for the Story, it was fine but I enjoyed Fallen Order more. Trilla was a much better villain than the one in Survivor. But I will say:

I was happy to see Cal and Merrin got together.
This is exactly how I feel about the combat in the first game (playing through it right now). Sad to hear that they haven’t improved it

Exentryk

Man the more I play Im having a good time overall, but I still really wish they would have implemented a fully regenerating force bar so you had more constant access to your force powers, and then balanced the game around that.

Every fight I feel like I can only pull off a couple cool Jedi moves then Im forced starved. Its just so lame to have some stormtroopers standing by a ledge and be like "Nope cant shove them off. All out of the force sorry."
There is a perk that refills all Force over time but it reduces your overall Force bar. I use it in my build, but I agree that we should have been able to use Force more leniently. Would have made the combat more enjoyable.

Merrin is such a cool character. Wish they did a spin-off with her.

However why does she sound like a Russian comrade this time around?
For the love of God, do not read the tie-in book by Sam Maggs. It's like she embezzled Disney funds to write a lesbian romance novel and got caught in the act, but it was too late to rewrite the whole novel so they just had to replace everybody in the story with Star Wars characters.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Finished the intro on SX but man, cant stomach the bad performance. Presentation is great and the combat is cool as fuck but Im gonna wait on some miracle fix.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is the combat still "dark souls-esque"?
You get different stances, so it’s doing it’s own thing with copying the bonfire respawn/zoning traits of the Souls game. In Dark Souls you have more control over your stats and more strategy. This has the same attack patterns, but you add moves/increase life/force. It’s been said in reviews but it has more of an identity to itself than the previous game.

During battle it feels more like an action game and then you realize how fast your life is depleted. You also realize the enemy can hit through your attack. You also have an increase to your character’s agility that doesn’t always play out the way you want it to.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some of the sections in this game are way too long. They just go on and on and on for multiple hours. I don't know why they chose this over what they had in Fallen Order. I was in the Zee mission in the ship and man that section took forever. 2-3 hours+

Why the fuck wouldn't the premier engine in the industry not make use and be developed for the CPU architecture on offer in most consoles/PCs?

This is mind boggling.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

About that, why is is dropping so low.
There is no reason why this game shouldn't be atleast 1440p30fps with ray tracing on consoles, let alone using FSR2.
Should be
1440p>2160p RT30fps FSR2
1080P>1440p 60fps FSR2

Spyxos

Gold Member
How do i activate sharpening in this game? In control panel i can only see this stupid NIS stuff with sharpening.

it has fully fledged RTGI so yeah it justifies being a nextgen only game
i think ps5 is more stable. dualsense is used A LOT in this title. it is worth to play on ps5 for dsense features alone. that too is nextgen. they did not hold back implementation, even using a burner on a droid in a cutscene is haptic feedback'ed. they did some real work in. its def worth it

graphics are wonderous but i'd guess u'd have to play 30 fps bcoz unlocked fps mode will lower resolution a lot

Microsoft seriously needs to come out with a competitor for the Dualsense. With no significant power advantage I buy all my games on PS5 even tho I own both consoles.

I'd imagine everyone who owns both does the same.

Top Bottom